PDA

View Full Version : Ulterior Motives?

Railsplitter
10-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Does anybody else think the Cub fans who are pulling for the Sox have to ulterior motives? Such as

1. The sympathay factor goes up when the crosstown rivals win it.

2. It will be thier "turn" next year.

I realize both are leaps of logic, but we should be well aware of the Cub fans' mentality by now.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-22-2005, 01:52 PM
The Cub fans I work with have kept their mouths shut recently. Can't blame them, what can they say to bring us down?

The Critic
10-22-2005, 03:23 PM
If and when the Sox win 4 of the next 7 games, ANY team who wants "their turn" next year can have it, even TOCT.

Except, of course, when the Sox are in position to go back-to-back.....:D: ....sorry, didn't mean to get greedy there.....:redneck

miker
10-22-2005, 03:50 PM
I realize both are leaps of logic, but we should be well aware of the Cub fans' mentality by now.
You used "logic" and "Cub fans" in the same sentence...

TDog
10-22-2005, 04:11 PM
There are Cubs fans -- and they exist nationwide -- who celebrate the Cubs being losers. It's cliche, but I read a columnist from an eastern newspaper who wrote that everyone pulls for the Cubs because they're the nerd in high school who always got picked last. (The White Sox, he added, are the kid you have to look up in year yearbook to see if you even went to your high school.) If the Sox continue to excel to remind people that there is a better team in Chicago and that drives people to Wrigley Field to celebrate inept, overrated, underachieving baseball, I don't care. Go ahead and say with a smile on your face that you're "suffering" with the Cubs. I've suffered with the Sox. They've always been my team. But I wasn't smiling about the losing.

Really, I'd like to see the Sox in the World Series more often. As long as the Sox win, I don't care that people think the Cubs are more loveable. They're idiots.

The other suggested possibility is that Cubs fans believe their team will top the Sox next year. Cubs marketing, after all, has been enhanced by timing. The Sox seemed to have the city in 1983 becoming the first Chicago team to do what Milwaukee did in the 1950s -- top 2 million in attendance. In 1984, but Cubs captured the imagination by coming so close to getting to the World Series. Three seasons after the Sox made the playoffs in 2000, the Cubs came within five outs of getting to the World Series.

Not bloody likely after this season.