PDA

View Full Version : Coop won't shut the door on Yanks

Vernam
10-22-2005, 09:21 AM
The NY Times (linky (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/22/sports/baseball/22cooper.html)) says Don Cooper is still being coy about whether he'd coach the Yanks' sorry excuse for a pitching staff. You know Steinbrenner is salivating because of what Coop did with Contreras. The story quotes:

"Twenty-six world championships intrigues me," Cooper said. "My focus is here. I want one. They've got 26. I mean, who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Who wouldn't want to work for Steinbrenner's Yankees?

"I grew up in New York. They were my team, they were my dad's team, and I basically lived in the shadows of Yankee Stadium. I played city championship games at Van Cortlandt Park. But my focus is here, man. They've got their 26. I want one."

:o:

Not to brag (okay, a little), but I predicted this (linky #2 (http://tinyurl.com/ckm47)) during the ALDS, before the media began to speculate. But I only started to worry when Stottlemyre left. I would really hate to lose Coop . . .

Vernam

VivaOzzie
10-22-2005, 09:31 AM
I mean, who wouldn't want to be a part of that? Who wouldn't want to work for Steinbrenner's Yankees?

Not me, no way. I would want to have fun at work. I couldn't pick a better place to work than in Ozzie's clubhouse.

Then again, I am a Sox fan...

DumpJerry
10-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Yeah, he won't just come out and say no. He talks about how he's been with the Sox for 19 years, etc......

Come on Coop, do you really want to work for King George??????

Hokiesox
10-22-2005, 09:36 AM
If Leo Mazzone can leave Atlanta, anything can happen.:whiner:

Ol' No. 2
10-22-2005, 09:54 AM
If Leo Mazzone can leave Atlanta, anything can happen.:whiner:There is the small matter of his contract. Cooper is signed through 2006.

JUribe1989
10-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Coop's gonna leave. Why would anyone say that during the ALCS if they weren't going to leave. Mazzone left the Braves, and that shocked me.

Tragg
10-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Who wouldn't want to work for Steinbrenner's Yankees?

I just find it hard to believe that that quote is real. If he had said "Yankees" I could see it. But the Steinbrenner part? The question is who WOULD want to work for him?

Paulwny
10-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Coop's gonna leave. Why would anyone say that during the ALCS if they weren't going to leave. Mazzone left the Braves, and that shocked me.

I've heard that Mazzone's contract with Atlanta was $250,000. If that's correct I'm surprized he didn't leave earlier.

veeter
10-22-2005, 10:59 AM
The Sox pretty much have an 'organizational' way of thinking, so I think if Cooper left he'd be replaced with someone with the same mind-set. However the intangibles would be hard to replace. But really, losing Copper pales in comparison to possibly losing Konerko.

SoxEd
10-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Who wouldn't want to work for Steinbrenner's Yankees?

I just find it hard to believe that that quote is real. If he had said "Yankees" I could see it. But the Steinbrenner part? The question is who WOULD want to work for him?

Maybe his vocal chords had run out of teal ink?

Frankfan4life
10-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Coop, please don't go. The Sox need you. The Sox can become the Yankees if we don't dismantle the ship but keep building. How awesome would a Sox dynasty be with you on board? Yeesss!

34 Inch Stick
10-22-2005, 12:26 PM
It sounds like being on the Yankees is a life long dream for the man. I thought Mazzone might have saved us from this problem, but it now looks like he will be gone. I cannot fault a man for being able to get to where he has always wanted to be.

HotelWhiteSox
10-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Thank goodness for contracts

Seriously, who wants to go into that situation? A staff made up of an old Randy Johnson that is very hittable, rookies or guys who were out of the game last year (Small, Wang), Jaret Wright, a horrible signing, his glory days are behind him. Then you have Kevin Brown, a complete nutjob and jag. The only decent ones are Chacon (who will probably be figured out) and Pavano, who absolutely blew when he did pitch. The only pen guys are Rivera and Gordon, who might not even be a Yankee next year. Add NY and Steinbrenner to boot...

But I can still see where he comes from, with the old boyhood team angle, I mean, me loving the Sox has caused me to hate every opponent and opposing organization, having some job with the Sox would be unbelievable.

That team is going to blow next year. No CF, prospect of their LF leaving, all the pitching problems. Even when you win their, that team looks like complete stiffs or pompous rich bigshots, and when they lose, it seems like bloody hell. Hopefully he will take the atmosphere he gets with an Ozzie clubhouse into his consideration

SoxEd
10-22-2005, 12:36 PM
To go back to his statement 'who wouldn't want work for the Yankees'; IMO it's a poisoned chalice.
Let me explain...

If you are involved with a team like that (with 26 Championships), when you win the WS, everyone regards at is nothing more than their birthright.
If you fail (like the last few years) everyone's going to get on your back about how 'you stink', and 'you're not fit to be a part of this franchise'.

In other words, when you win, it's no biggie, and when you lose, they eat you alive.
I reckon there's no upside to that situation - at your best, you can only ever be judged to have performed 'adequately'.

Well, no upside apart from the $$$$ Big George will pony-up for you, obviously.

In contrast, win the WS on the White Sox, everyone on the staff will be immortal in Chicago, and may well have trouble ever paying for a drink in the 'second city' again.

Then again, it's hard to underestimate the lure of your hometown club, I guess.

doublem23
10-22-2005, 02:03 PM
I think we're forgetting this story comes to us from the New York Times who are not, lest we forget, the forerunners in journalistic integrity.

antitwins13
10-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Bring back Nardi Contreras as pitching coach. That guy was awesome!

ATXBMX
10-23-2005, 02:57 AM
Bring back Nardi Contreras as pitching coach. That guy was awesome!

:tealpolice:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-23-2005, 03:03 AM

Leverage in contract negotiations.

antitwins13
10-23-2005, 03:46 AM
:tealpolice:

Yeah, I would have used teal for sarcasm. I was serious, I was and still am a huge Nardi Contreras fan.

Unregistered
10-23-2005, 03:54 AM
I dunno - I call it graciously answering a question. "Hey Coop, you think you'd ever consider being a pitching coach for the Yankees?"

"Sure - who wouldn't? They're a great organization, etc."

Sounds like wishful thinking on the Daily News' part - but at very least, we have him through 2006.

samram
10-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Yeah, I would have used teal for sarcasm. I was serious, I was and still am a huge Nardi Contreras fan.

Yeah, nothing better than a guy who will strip all his pitchers of their confidence and kill their arms. He's a delight.

As for the current situation, it was only a matter of time before they informed Stottlemyre that he had to leave. He was the worst pitching coach in baseball the last two years. The Contreras-Loaiza deal exposed him as nothing more than a guy who had a job because he is friends with Torre.

Flight #24
10-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Leverage in contract negotiations.

Dingdingdingding!!!

His market value is almost certainly at an all-time high. If he didn't at least try to use it to get a solid extension, he'd be wasting an opportunity. That's all this is, IMO.

Clembasbal
10-23-2005, 12:14 PM
I freakin' hate the Yankees, their fans, and their media.

First we get this crap about Cooper.

Now a mediot is writing about Rowand and the Yankees. There was talk about this when he patrolled CF like a god in that series late in the year, but it died down and I thought it was over. Instead it just continues.

Link (http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spflash234481654oct23,0,5228191,print.column?coll= ny-sports-print)

Here's another name to throw into the Yankees' centerfield mix: Aaron Rowand. He's very good defensively, as he demonstrated against the Yankees this season, and could be available. The Sox have 2004 first-rounder Brian Anderson, who's nearly ready.

I freakin' hate them all!

Vernam
10-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Now a mediot is writing about Rowand and the Yankees. There was talk about this when he patrolled CF like a god in that series late in the year, but it died down and I thought it was over. Instead it just continues.Link (http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spflash234481654oct23,0,5228191,print.column?coll= ny-sports-print)The way this Series has started, half our roster will be bound for NYC in the off-season. I can see the A-Rod-for-Crede rumors already . . .

Re: Coop, I do hope it's just posturing for negotiation with the Sox. He's due a huge raise and extension. The wild card, though, is that he grew up rooting for the Yanks and played for them briefly. That kind of pull is hard to discount.

If he does leave, I say El Duque for pitching coach. (No teal!)

Vernam

SOXSINCE'70
10-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Can we please deal with this AFTER the WS is over????:dunno: :dunno:

Lip Man 1
10-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Cooper is under contract through 2006. Kenny Williams is under no legal obligation to allow the Yankees to talk with Cooper and I have a feeling he will not allow it. What he'll do is give Cooper a raise to placate him.

Lip