PDA

View Full Version : Ask for Steve Perry, Get Josh Groban and Liz Phair

ajtokarz
10-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Hmmmm, Ladies and gentlemen....singing your National Anthem tonight....
JOSH GROBAN!!!!!!!!!!!

(cricket........cricket.......)

And in honor of America, please join in the singing of God Bless America.......
LIZ PHAIR!!!!!

(smattering of who??? What???? Did somebody say Churro????)

See...if we had let John Cusack into the ALCS, he could of hooked us up with some sweet recording artists! Being that he used to own a record store in one of his movies.

Vernam
10-22-2005, 09:57 AM
Yeah, these two are going to leave everyone yearning for the Rusted Root guy who yelled Go Red Sox at last week's game vs. the Angels. Phair was on the Tonight Show recently and had serious pitch problems.

Vernam

tebman
10-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Hmmmm, Ladies and gentlemen....singing your National Anthem tonight....
JOSH GROBAN!!!!!!!!!!!

(cricket........cricket.......)

And in honor of America, please join in the singing of God Bless America.......
LIZ PHAIR!!!!!

(smattering of who??? What???? Did somebody say Churro????)

See...if we had let John Cusack into the ALCS, he could of hooked us up with some sweet recording artists! Being that he used to own a record store in one of his movies.

:rolling:

Hey, but they both are hott! This is Fox, you know!

Realist
10-22-2005, 10:13 AM
I was actually kinda hoping for a Steam reunion. Hell... the band's leader said he'd be there if asked, as long as he got a ticket into the park. If he got into trouble he could have called on me. I've been brushing up on the chorus lately. :cool:

BainesHOF
10-22-2005, 10:17 AM
The Rusted Root guy was ridiculously inappropriate. Is everyone sure he wasn't really Will Farrell putting us on?

I don't mind Liz Phair. The choice is a bit inspired and cool, two traits not commonly associated with music guests at sports events. But Josh Whatever Is Name Is? Give me a break. The first World Series in Chicago and that's the best they can trot out?! Shameful, as far as these things go. At least pair him with the Rusted Root guy for some comic relief.

ja1022
10-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Josh Groban? Am I supposed to know who he is? I dunno...

Liz Phair--her present body of work has slipped some, but I have no problem with her. I hope she keeps her nerves in check. She can be brutal in front of large crowds.

Craig Grebeck
10-22-2005, 10:26 AM
Rockford's own Cheap Trick would even be a more logical choice...ugh

It's too bad about Liz Phair, too...she used to be respectable

fquaye149
10-22-2005, 10:39 AM
liz phair is from Evanstown. :(

fquaye149
10-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Liz Phair--her present body of work has slipped some, .

Understatement of the century. I'm not devotee of Pitchfork, but for an artist to get consecutive 0.0 on LP's is unprecedented. This is Starship-esque putrification

VivaOzzie
10-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Josh Groban?? I like to think I'm pretty up on music, and I've never heard of this clown.

Memo to whoever set this up: This is the National Anthem for the Opening Game of the WORLD SERIES!! :?: :dunno: :angry: :(: :thud:

Bone
10-22-2005, 10:58 AM
As long as it's not Roseanne, I don't care. It's WORLD SERIES Time!!!!

GO SOX!!!!

ajtokarz
10-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Josh Groban?? I like to think I'm pretty up on music, and I've never heard of this clown.
OK, a little background on Josh.....Josh was the person that was given the honor of singing the National anthem for the 2002 World Series, he also was the singer of that song Believe from The Polar Express that you'll be hearing on WLIT all christmas long with Delilah or whatever hear name is.
I personally do not see any ties between Chicago or for that matter MLB when it comes to Josh and the World Series...

Makes you all wish you weren't so anti steve Perry, now doesn't it!

Roseanne is scheduled for Game 6 for those that are wondering.......Also be on the lookout for an appearance of Dennis DeYoung to do Run Sox Run in place of God Bless America during Game 6.

MRKARNO
10-22-2005, 11:28 AM
At least we didn't get Dayn Perry singing the anthem :D:

jenmcm76
10-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Josh Groban? Am I supposed to know who he is? I dunno...

I can't believe no one knows who Josh Groban is.... I bet all your moms know. :tongue: He's a young guy - early 20's, I'd guess - with an almost opera-style voice. I think his big break came when he sang on Ally McBeal (note the conspicuous absence of teal). His big hit was the schmaltzy "You Raise Me Up" from a couple years ago. I'm not a big fan, but he does have an amazing voice. I don't think there's a Chicago connection, but he should do an excellent job.

LongLiveFisk
10-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Makes you all wish you weren't so anti steve Perry, now doesn't it!

I was watching an interview with Jeff Blum and he said that, by sheer coincidence, the Astros' clubhouse manager happens to be named Steve Perry. Now if we can just get him to sing the National Anthem. :wink:

LongLiveFisk
10-22-2005, 11:33 AM

Memo to whoever set this up: This is the National Anthem for the Opening Game of the WORLD SERIES!! :?: :dunno: :angry: :(: :thud:

I've heard his name mentioned before, but that's about it. Of course I stopped listening to modern music on the radio the past few years because I've been so disappointed in it, so maybe that's why.

DuckSnort
10-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Groban actualy has a good set of vocal chords on him, and he should deliver a great rendition of our national anthem :)

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Who was the gospel singer who belted out the Star Spangled Banner the first game back after 9/11? (September 18, 2001 vs. the New York Yankees at Sox Park).

She did a fabulous job. Didn't they at least try to get her?
:?:

ajtokarz
10-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Groban actualy has a good set of vocal chords on him, and he should deliver a great rendition of our national anthem :)

No doubt. But, in 02 when he sang the Anthem, it was fitting...he's from LA, and for an Angels/Giants Series.....right on!
I just fail to grasp how an artist with no ties to a city (at least phair is from the state.....) get's this honor. You know?
Maybe i'm just bitter that we're not getting Dennis DeYoung to do it.......I just wanna hear him go "Domo Orrigatto, Mr. Damaso.

DuckSnort
10-22-2005, 11:46 AM
No doubt. But, in 02 when he sang the Anthem, it was fitting...he's from LA, and for an Angels/Giants Series.....right on!
I just fail to grasp how an artist with no ties to a city (at least phair is from the state.....) get's this honor. You know?
Maybe i'm just bitter that we're not getting Dennis DeYoung to do it.......I just wanna hear him go "Domo Orrigatto, Mr. Damaso.

Good point, I guess they couldn't book Kanye West to do the remix either. :smile:

JGarlandrules20
10-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Josh Groban has an awesome voice. I think he's a good choice for the national anthem.

ajtokarz
10-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Good point, I guess they couldn't book Kanye West to do the remix either. :smile:

Actually......I was hoping for the R. Kelly Remix....

Lemme hear that Oh Say....
Wanna hear that Can You See....
Stayin up By the Dawns....
Early Light by the lawn...

This is the Remixed up Banner...
Anyone seen Chuck Tanner???
Got Pe-Nuts in my Hair...
I can't wait to see Liz Phair.....

God do i miss the Chappelle Show.

house215
10-22-2005, 12:35 PM

I think you mean Evanston.

soxwon
10-22-2005, 12:35 PM
:rolling:

Hey, but they both are hott! This is Fox, you know!

Who cares- They could have Crusty the Clown belch the songs and it wouldnt matter.
The sox are in the series.

I think it hould be like the Stadium where it is so loud you dont hear the singers.

Sox are in the Series Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VenturaSoxFan23
10-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Rockford's own Cheap Trick would even be a more logical choice...ugh

It's too bad about Liz Phair, too...she used to be respectable

I'm all for that, or get Enuff Z'Nuff. Now that would rock.

Nothing wrong with Ms. Phair, having a baby will change your outlook on things too. I like her work.

Chisox353014
10-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I was worried it was gonna be Flublover Billy Corgan, seeing as how Fox is already using Smashing Pumpkins in their promos.

soxwon
10-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Who cares- They could have Crusty the Clown belch the songs and it wouldnt matter.
The sox are in the series.

I think it hould be like the Stadium where it is so loud you dont hear the singers.

Sox are in the Series Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me clarify no disrespect was intended by that quote.
The National Anthem is very dear to me.
I simply wanted to point out, that it doesnt matter who sings it.
The Sox are in The series, thats the Bottom Line.

jackbrohamer
10-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Who was the gospel singer who belted out the Star Spangled Banner the first game back after 9/11? (September 18, 2001 vs. the New York Yankees at Sox Park).

She did a fabulous job. Didn't they at least try to get her?
:?:

Phyllis Arnold and she has an unbelievable voice, she would have definitely impressed a national audience.

Dan1972
10-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Liz Phair's voice is WEAK when she sings live. Unless they find someway to back her up with some mega chorus effects, it could be a cringing version of that song.

Just as long as they dont have Bernie Mac sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and we'll be fine.

longshot7
10-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Lix Phair is awesome, and I'm sure Groban is fine (who cares? It's only a minute of screen time.)

But the bigger question is why the hell are they doing "God Bless America"? This does not belong at a baseball game, imo, esp during the 7th inning stretch when "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" (the BASEBALL nat'l anthem) should be sung.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Phyllis Arnold and she has an unbelievable voice, she would have definitely impressed a national audience.

THANK YOU!!!

This was driving me nuts. I really wish the Sox wouldn't waste our time with these B-list celebrity singers. (And I think I'm being generous to even call them B-list because C- and D- would fit just as well.)

Do you have a link or a picture to anything about her? I was truly inspired by the way she sang the Star Spangled Banner back in 2001. It would be a shame if she wasn't given an even larger stage to show what she can do.

:(:

Daver
10-22-2005, 01:55 PM
THANK YOU!!!

This was driving me nuts. I really wish the Sox wouldn't waste our time with these B-list celebrity singers. (And I think I'm being generous to even call them B-list because C- and D- would fit just as well.)

Do you have a link or a picture to anything about her? I was truly inspired by the way she sang the Star Spangled Banner back in 2001. It would be a shame if she wasn't given an even larger stage to show what she can do.

:(:

She's an Iraqi war vet, and works for the Secretary of Defense.

Palehose13
10-22-2005, 02:24 PM

Actually, she was adopted and grew up in Winnetka and went to New Trier HS. He dad is a researcher at Northwestern Hospital and her mom is an instructor at the Art Institute. Most importantly, though, is that it is my understanding that she has always been a Sox fan. :smile:

CHEESESOXER
10-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Groban is what the feds spray on marijuana fields to kill the plants.:D:

SoxFan76
10-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Josh Groban has an amazing voice. I'll be looking forward to that.

TheOldRoman
10-22-2005, 02:46 PM
THANK YOU!!!

From what I have seen of Liz Phair, he voice isn't that good, especially live.
I have no problem with Josh Groban. He has an incredible voice, and that is all that matters. I don't care if they got a no name to sing the anthem, as long as he/she got the words right, was in tune, and didn't overemphasize certain parts - extending the song by 5 min.

At least they got someone who SINGS the anthem. There have been several embarassments within the last few years. I wouldn't want to see anyone rap the National Anthem or even "rock" it. As long as Groban does a great rendition, which I am certain he will, it will be fine.

Sidenote- I remember from around 92 or 93, Michael Jordan's sister sang the anthem at one of the Bulls' playoff games. I was young at the time, but I remember it was comically bad. They showed MJ laughing with his head down during it.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Was Ashley Simpson not available?

TornLabrum
10-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Liz Phair's voice is WEAK when she sings live. Unless they find someway to back her up with some mega chorus effects, it could be a cringing version of that song.

They'll probably have her lip sync to a CD.

miker
10-22-2005, 03:45 PM
You'll never get her past Fox and MLB's marketing people...which is just sad commentary on how things are done today.:(:

Chisox353014
10-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Looks like Lou Rawls and Chris Botti for Game 2. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051022&content_id=1256863&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)
I have no idea who Chris Botti is. Is he anything like Kenny G? :o:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2005, 03:57 PM
You'll never get her past Fox and MLB's marketing people...which is just sad commentary on how things are done today.:(:

What do you mean? Is Fox trying to plug their own TV programs with their celebrity choices?

Personally I would choose whoever can sing the song the best. I have no confidence either of these B-list celebrities will do anything but make the entire experience painful to watch and listen to.

miker
10-22-2005, 04:00 PM
What do you mean? Is Fox trying to plug their own TV programs with their celebrity choices?

Personally I would choose whoever can sing the song the best. I have no confidence either of these B-list celebrities will do anything but make the entire experience painful to watch and listen to.
The lack of teal obviouisly hints at the question's rhetorical nature...

..and you're absolutely correct!

ajtokarz
10-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Looks like Lou Rawls and Chris Botti for Game 2. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051022&content_id=1256863&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

He's more Kenny G than Wynton Marsalis...that's for sure...
My wife had me watch Boston Rob and that girl Amber from Survivor.....we watched their wedding special. He's the guy that played their first dance. Just a Doc Severnson for the 21st Century. Another Mindblowing talent choice for the WS.

Eric Bartman, today's top dope
10-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Journey is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

Cheap Trick should be doing the anthem.

RadioheadRocks
10-22-2005, 08:04 PM

Good Chicago connection with Lou Rawls... he'll do just fine, I'm sure.

Banix12
10-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Journey is the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

Cheap Trick should be doing the anthem.

Only if they can follow up the anthem with "Surrender"

Cambridge
10-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Big Black would have been my choice.

Jon Langford is possibly the best Chicago-based musician, but as an import he'll have to defer to Steve Albini & Co.

LongLiveFisk
10-22-2005, 09:43 PM
There's always local favorite Billy Corgan. :nuts:

Banix12
10-22-2005, 09:45 PM
There's always local favorite Billy Corgan. :nuts:

I noticed FOX was playing "Today" during one of the breaks. I can only take solice in the fact that it probably hurts Billy Corgan more that the Sox are in the World Series. Maybe if the Sox win the series it will get him back to writing more songs about depression.

ajtokarz
10-22-2005, 10:29 PM
LIZ PHAIR ROCKED THE HOUSE...........

LongLiveFisk
10-22-2005, 10:44 PM
LIZ PHAIR ROCKED THE HOUSE...........

LOL...I would say she sounded nervous, but shouldn't she be used to performing in front of people by now??

MiRi
10-22-2005, 11:17 PM
Liz did sound pretty weak. But come on, in 2003 we (Marlins) had Yanni. *zzzzz*

Craig Grebeck
10-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Liz Phair's performance is going to give me nightmares...

shes
10-22-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm glad the greater powers of this universe have conspired to keep Steve Perry as far away from Comiskey as possible. If that means bringing in a Groban-type, so be it. Washed-up corporate rockers need not be consulted for WS appearances. Why not ask Scott Stapp to perform before game 6? And how 'bout Bono for game 7? :rolleyes:

TornLabrum
10-22-2005, 11:58 PM
I've heard high school girls sing better than Liz Phair.

MrRoboto83
10-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Fox really blew it on the national anthem, no upper deck shots on the field with that giant U.S. Flag. They just kept the camera on Josh Groban.

mrs. hendu
10-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Josh has a pleasant voice, Liz's rendition was very subtle, her voice sounding fairly weak. But whatever, she seemed to enjoy herself, plus singing's not primarily why we watched/went to the game.

Somebody mentioned R.Kelly - I'd love to hear him sing something at the Cell.

Bump34
Take this for what it is worth... but for a guy watching the game in Lutz, Florida... I thought Josh Groban's rendition was OUTSTANDING!!! And despite the lack of crowd shots... Kudo's to the White Sox and their fans for a pregame White Sox fans across the country should be proud of...

Soxboyrob
Actually, she was adopted and grew up in Winnetka and went to New Trier HS. He dad is a researcher at Northwestern Hospital and her mom is an instructor at the Art Institute. Most importantly, though, is that it is my understanding that she has always been a Sox fan. :smile:

And Sox fans will still find reason to complain.....I assumed she was picked because of her local origins.

MrRoboto83
10-23-2005, 12:25 AM
I'm glad they turned the mic over to Gene Honda for the line-ups, during the All-Star Game this year, Joe Buck did it.

Soxboyrob
10-23-2005, 12:27 AM

Groban's definitely B-list, but did an excellent job. His appeal is more toward a female audience, so it seems an odd choice. Still, he was quite good.

goofymsfan
10-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Take this for what it is worth... but for a guy watching the game in Lutz, Florida... I thought Josh Groban's rendition was OUTSTANDING!!! And despite the lack of crowd shots... Kudo's to the White Sox and their fans for a pregame White Sox fans across the country should be proud of...

I'm a big Josh Groban fan and was excited to hear he would be singing the National Anthem. I thought he did an awesome job. The 7th inning stretch and God Bless Amercia....now that was not so pretty. :puking:

PaleHoseGeorge
10-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Groban's definitely B-list, but did an excellent job. His appeal is more toward a female audience, so it seems an odd choice. Still, he was quite good.

I agree Groban was better than I anticipated. OTOH, Liz Phair was far worse.

:o:

Soxboyrob
10-23-2005, 12:30 AM

I'm amazed her career has progressed this far, with that shrieking voice and all. She used to be all about her edgy lyrics. Now her lyrics are just bad.

Hendu
10-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Liz Phair had one of the best albums in Chicago history...Exile in Guyville. But her appeal is (I should say was...that was over a decade ago) excellent songwriting and her vulnerable, heartfelt voice. The follow-up album, Whipsmart, was also excellent. It's all downhill from there as far as her career is concerned.

Even though Liz was an odd choice given her well-documented stage fright and weak voice, I kind of like that Fox didn't go with the usual suspects.

LongLiveFisk
10-23-2005, 12:36 AM

That was the first time I ever heard Groban sing, and he really does have a good voice. Liz Phair? Either nervous or bad. I am guessing nervous?

Hendu
10-23-2005, 12:46 AM
That was the first time I ever heard Groban sing, and he really does have a good voice. Liz Phair? Either nervous or bad. I am guessing nervous?

It's a bit of both. When she was actually releasing good albums int he early and mid 90's, she wouldn't go on tour to support the albums due to her stage fright.

Also, her weak, off-key voice only really works with material she has written. Again, I'm surprised that she was chosen for this type of performance, which is usually reserved for singers who want to show off their range.

I have to say that when I heard her name mentioned, I was expecting a disaster, but it wasn't that bad. All things considered.

tebman
10-23-2005, 12:47 AM
Groban's a good singer and did a nice job. Phair is a sellout indie-rocker who never had a strong voice. Gotta remember this was a Fox production, and both of those performers have an edgy, Gen-Y appeal that is Fox's bread and butter.

This had nothing to do with Chicago or White Sox connections and everything to do with Fox trying to add as much sex appeal as possible. Fortunately for everybody, the game far outshone the vocal performances! :thumbsup:

goofymsfan
10-23-2005, 12:48 AM
Fox really blew it on the national anthem, no upper deck shots on the field with that giant U.S. Flag. They just kept the camera on Josh Groban.

There are several nice shots available at CBS Sportline

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/CXS117102220_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/55947327CP043_2005_Major_Le102222_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/55947327CP033_World_Series_102222_1024x768.jpg
http://images.sportsline.com/u/gettyimages/photos/55947327CP037_World_Series_102222_1024x768.jpg

LongLiveFisk
10-23-2005, 12:50 AM

Yeah, we kept waiting for the overhead "blimp" view (if there even was one)....that would have looked fantastic!

TornLabrum
10-23-2005, 01:09 AM
And Sox fans will still find reason to complain.....I assumed she was picked because of her local origins.

It would have been nice if the person with local origins that they picked had something called "talent."

IronFisk
10-23-2005, 01:17 AM
I actually was pleased to see Liz - being from the area. Who knows where the heck Groban is from (Tahiti?). She wasn't all that bad, but she was definately tense. I could see that they tried to ease her nerves with that other guitarist out there, so she wasn't totally alone.

Lou Rawls should be great tomorrow. Just wish they could have targeted local talent only. Plenty to choose from, don't you think? Although, that idea about bringing Steam back together would ROCK!

Soxboyrob
10-23-2005, 08:47 AM
It would have been nice if the person with local origins that they picked had something called "talent."

Like her or not, she's got a fairly decent following around here, and on a more national basis. She's not know for having a great voice, but I thought she was fine....she wisely toned the song down to match her lack of singing ability. I'll guarantee you that the people that watched it nationally aren't making nearly the issue of it that we are. Most of them probably either said "who the hell is that?" or "cool, Liz Phair!"

ajtokarz
10-23-2005, 08:58 AM
I am thoroughly looking forward to hearing Lou Rawls tonight.......But I think he should seriously consider throwing out a little bit of You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine just to get everyone in the mood. Granted the mood won't be baseball, but we shall be in the mood for something none the less.

AS FOR JAZZ TRUMPETER CHRIS BOTTI........Hmmmmm....I guess Zamfir, master of the pan flute was busy....oh well....His version of God Bless America will be interesting. To say the least.

The Critic
10-23-2005, 09:02 AM
I've heard high school girls sing better than Liz Phair.
I've heard a yard full of cats sing better than Liz Phair.

The Critic
10-23-2005, 09:03 AM
I am thoroughly looking forward to hearing Lou Rawls tonight.......But I think he should seriously consider throwing out a little bit of You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine just to get everyone in the mood. Granted the mood won't be baseball, but we shall be in the mood for something none the less.

AS FOR JAZZ TRUMPETER CHRIS BOTTI........Hmmmmm....I guess Zamfir, master of the pan flute was busy....oh well....His version of God Bless America will be interesting. To say the least.
Maybe "You'll Never Find Another Team Like Mine" to make it baseball-related?
:D:

TornLabrum
10-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Like her or not, she's got a fairly decent following around here, and on a more national basis. She's not know for having a great voice, but I thought she was fine....she wisely toned the song down to match her lack of singing ability. I'll guarantee you that the people that watched it nationally aren't making nearly the issue of it that we are. Most of them probably either said "who the hell is that?" or "cool, Liz Phair!"

You thought singing flat with a vibrato a mile wide was fine? Man, don't play any music around me....

ajtokarz
10-23-2005, 10:43 AM

Well......William Hung has a fairly decent following, doesn't mean that I want to listen to him sing. She's find when it's on a CD...but I honestly don't think i've ever wished for someone to be lipsyncing than i was last night with her......it honestly was painful.

As for the rest of the world.......hmmmm, i wouldn't go that far. When her own fans can admit the fact that she was flat....a lot.....then we know that there was a problem.

Dan1972
10-23-2005, 04:53 PM
They should get Wesley Willis to sing !

LongLiveFisk
10-23-2005, 04:55 PM
I saw a pic of A.J., Crede, and Rowand with Steve Perry on another site. If they got him to come out, they should have just asked him to do the honors. :wink: Unless it was too late and the others were already penciled in, which is most likely. It's not like they have weeks to line this up.

jackbrohamer
10-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Do you have a link or a picture to anything about her? I was truly inspired by the way she sang the Star Spangled Banner back in 2001. It would be a shame if she wasn't given an even larger stage to show what she can do. :(:

I looked at news arcives for Phyllis Arnold but couldn't find anything about her other than she was described around the time of the 9/19/01 game v. NY only as a "Chicago native" and a "blues singer." And that she sang the National Anthem on opening day in 2002 (http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020326_opener_ news&team_id=cws ) and apparently before the first playoff game in 2000 though I have no memory of her at all from that game.

The guy who usually sings the National Anthem before Sox games has an excellent voice, but can't compare with her.

Palehose13
10-23-2005, 05:00 PM

Hal-

She is talented. "God Bless America" isn't her style. They picked her because she's local and nice to look at. She wasn't awful. It's not like Rosanne or Ozzy Osbourne was out there.

Frater Perdurabo
10-23-2005, 05:16 PM
No disrespect to Groban, Phair or anyone else who may have suggested him before, but I would have liked to have seen Sox fans Dennis DeYoung sing the national anthem.

While things may have changed as he's aged (I don't really know as I haven't seen him perform with Styx in years), at one time he certainly had the range to hit all the high and low notes. He definitely has the stage presence, too, and although he's a rocker with a flair for the dramatic, I think he would have enough respect not to ham it up like, say, Stephen Tyler.

DeYoung also is a South Sider who made it big (but never abandoned his roots), having risen from public school music teacher into an international rock success (with Styx) and Broadway star (performed the role of "Pilate" in Jesus Christ, Superstar).

TornLabrum
10-23-2005, 08:41 PM
Hal-

She is talented. "God Bless America" isn't her style. They picked her because she's local and nice to look at. She wasn't awful. It's not like Rosanne or Ozzy Osbourne was out there.

Singing flat IS awful.

Palehose13
10-23-2005, 08:44 PM
Singing flat IS awful.

IMo, you can't judge her as "talentless" based on one performance. I'm not familiar with Lou Rawls, and if I had to judge on his performance tonight...:o:

TornLabrum
10-23-2005, 11:56 PM
IMo, you can't judge her as "talentless" based on one performance. I'm not familiar with Lou Rawls, and if I had to judge on his performance tonight...:o:

I missed Lou Rawls. School work (end of quarter) intervened. I had to get some stuff done with grades, and the web site we enter them on was extremely slow.

She might have talent as a writer. She has no talent as a singer if that is a typical performance.

StockdaleForVeep
10-24-2005, 12:13 AM
I wanted buddy guy

EastCoastSoxFan
10-24-2005, 09:47 AM
Singing flat IS awful.
Performances like Liz Phair's rendition of "God Bless America" are the reason God invented pitch correctors...

Mickster
10-24-2005, 10:45 AM
Ask for Steve Perry, Get Josh Groban and Liz Phair.....

.......and Steve Perry (in a suite). Reifert actually contaced Perry and flew him in for games 1 and 2. He was in a suite watching both games.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-24-2005, 03:27 PM
.......and Steve Perry (in a suite). Reifert actually contaced Perry and flew him in for games 1 and 2. He was in a suite watching both games.

John and Ed had him in the booth around the 3rd or 4th inning IIRC.

PatK
10-24-2005, 04:07 PM
They should get Wesley Willis to sing !

He's dead.

Liz Phair could NEVER sing. I've seen her on stage since the early 90's (before her "Guyville" album), and she could never perform well.

Good songwriter, yes. Good musician and singer, no.

Uncle_Patrick
10-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Big Black would have been my choice.

Unfortunately, you're 18 years too late, plus neither Santiago Durango nor Dave Reilly play music anymore (Reilly had a stroke about a decade back and was pretty messed up physically for a while). According to Wikipedia, Albini is a huge White Sox fan, though.

As for Liz Phair, critics have always maintained that she's a product of the studio and the complaint about her live performing has always been she is a mediocre guitar player and a flat singer. I've only seen her live on TV a couple times those experiences would certainly back up that criticism. She also is said to suffer from stage fright big time, so maybe that plays a part. I don't think she even played live until after her second album.