PDA

View Full Version : St. Paul Pioneer Press whines about WSI's navigation (Seriously)

oharewx
10-22-2005, 08:20 AM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12969930.htm

Quirky look at Sox

http://www.twincities.com/images/common/spacer.gif

Here's a Soxogram: The quirkiest team in baseball has an unofficial Web site to match.

FlyingSock.com, aka WhiteSoxInteractive.com, will send you bouncing through the unvarnished history of the American League champions with text, photos, music and radio play-by-play highlights. The 1919 Black Sox scandal receives scant treatment, but the bashing of all the cheap owners is what sets this site apart from anything the White Sox might produce. All those pillars at old Comiskey Park could have been avoided had its namesake ponied up to build a cantilevered stadium. Arthur Allyn almost moved the team to Milwaukee. Bill Veeck's rent-a-player scheme produced the South Side Hit Men in 1977 and a 71-90 dud in '78. And Jerry Reinsdorf where do we start?

The apparent blending of multiple Web sites into one makes navigation about as easy as a walk through the old Comiskey Park concourse plenty of turns and surprises. But if you've put up with the team's warts, you can handle this.

Gary Derong

soxfan26
10-22-2005, 09:15 AM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12969930.htm

Quirky look at Sox

http://www.twincities.com/images/common/spacer.gif

Here's a Soxogram: The quirkiest team in baseball has an unofficial Web site to match.

FlyingSock.com, aka WhiteSoxInteractive.com, will send you bouncing through the unvarnished history of the American League champions with text, photos, music and radio play-by-play highlights. The 1919 Black Sox scandal receives scant treatment, but the bashing of all the cheap owners is what sets this site apart from anything the White Sox might produce. All those pillars at old Comiskey Park could have been avoided had its namesake ponied up to build a cantilevered stadium. Arthur Allyn almost moved the team to Milwaukee. Bill Veeck's rent-a-player scheme produced the South Side Hit Men in 1977 and a 71-90 dud in '78. And Jerry Reinsdorf where do we start?

The apparent blending of multiple Web sites into one makes navigation about as easy as a walk through the old Comiskey Park concourse plenty of turns and surprises. But if you've put up with the team's warts, you can handle this.

Gary Derong

Oh darn, I have to be registered to read his insightful analysis of WSI...

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2005, 09:20 AM
LOL! Figures somebody from Minnesota would have trouble navigating WSI. We have more pages and features than all the Twins websites COMBINED. And that even includes PsychoBitch.

Meh... what did you expect? The Vikings suck and ice fishing season hasn't started yet.

:wink:

TornLabrum
10-22-2005, 09:42 AM
LOL! Figures somebody from Minnesota would have trouble navigating WSI. We have more pages and features than all the Twins websites COMBINED. And that even includes PsychoBitch.

Meh... what did you expect? The Vikings suck and ice fishing season hasn't started yet.

I think ice fishing season starts tomorrow, though.

tebman
10-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Oh darn, I have to be registered to read his insightful analysis of WSI...

www.bugmenot.com (http://www.bugmenot.com) is your friend.

hose
10-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Will Young is a bigger drill rod than PsychoBitch.

Will Young = David Kapler.

house215
10-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Why do I expect more these :dtroll: guys popping up after a published article on WSI in Minnesota?

Chips
10-22-2005, 01:01 PM
This website is easier to navigate than a bicycle.

TheOldRoman
10-22-2005, 02:52 PM
This website is easier to navigate than a bicycle.
I agree, props to PHG on this entire site. All the features are great, and it is not the least bit hard to navigate.
I clicked on "photo gallery" and it took me to a page with a bunch of pictures on it. I mean, what the ****?!

Chips
10-22-2005, 02:59 PM
I agree, props to PHG on this entire site. All the features are great, and it is not the least bit hard to navigate.
I clicked on "photo gallery" and it took me to a page with a bunch of pictures on it. I mean, what the ****?!

Yes props to PHG. People Up North Just Don't Get It.

chisoxfanatic
10-22-2005, 03:01 PM

We can say this about our very own city too!

soxfan26
10-22-2005, 03:03 PM
www.bugmenot.com (http://www.bugmenot.com) is your friend.

Sometimes yes. But I really didn't want to read this steaming pile anyway. :cool:

miker
10-22-2005, 04:14 PM
LOL! Figures somebody from Minnesota would have trouble navigating WSI.
Dang...you got there before I did!

Daver
10-22-2005, 04:36 PM

Actually, thanx West for building the database that allows everything to be easily found.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Actually, thanx West for building the database that allows everything to be easily found.

Indeed. The design and linkage of the WSI home page and nearly all of the articles and features are directly supported by the database architecture West created. The message boards and the photo gallery features are his creation, too, assisted by his lovely and talented wife Michelle.

The WSI website has undergone at least 3 major transformations, the one from 2002 being the most recent of these. The message board itself has gone through at least six transformations. What you see today is the sum total of seven years worth of work -- and the website has never gone dark in that period, not even when Rivals went under. It works pretty damned well if I do say so myself.
:cool:

There are still lots of old WSI web links out there floating around on the internet that all the search engines pick up and send traffic to. For example the WSI server maintains virtually a full-set of redundant Memories of Old Comiskey pages just so dopes like this guy from the Pioneer Press won't get too confused when they visit. Of course they still manage to whine when they land on a 4 year-old page that has a dead link. You just can't please everyone... especially when they're really just complaining about sour grapes.
:cool:

Much going on in the sports world up in Minnenoplace these days? Didn't think so.

http://murdermysteries.com/movie-FreezeFrames/fargo6.jpeg
"I'm going nuts stuck in this cabin out on White Bear Lake. Where can I find some action?"

:fans
"Chicago would be a good place to look, loser!"

:moonwalk:

woodenleg
10-22-2005, 05:05 PM
That's crazy - this is by far and away the best-looking team site out there, at least among the one's I've seen. The design and color schemes are great.

SoxEd
10-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Well, I've never had any trouble finding my way around the labyrinthine complexities of WSI, and I'm a foreigner!

I mean, click on the 'Photos' link, you get photos.
Click on 'Message Boards', and you get this really weird page that keeps updating with other people's opinions all over it...:D:

'Sox Greats', of course, links to a bunch of ballplayers no-one has ever heard of though, so maybe that's the cause of confusion - I mean, how many of these guys actually ever played for Boston?

Yep, I can see where that would be confusing...

I guess the low temperatures in Minnesota compromise the clock speed of the old grey matter or something?

If any of you reading this are new, it's very much worth your while to explore all the links available on the homepage.
Not only can you learn about the teams down the years, read interviews with former Sox, and listen to some great sound clips, you can put some faces to the aliases on here.

This is the best Sox site on the web, and IMO the best Baseball Message Boards too.

Major props to all of you who make it possible by Administering/moderating this monster.
:worship: :thumbsup: :gulp:

C-Dawg
10-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Betcha the guy never even saw the message board, at least judging by the comments quoted in the original post. This is the place where all the action is! And there's not 25- or so different sections all competing for the member's postings, like some forums I've seen. Well done!

PaulDrake
10-22-2005, 06:24 PM
As far as message boards go, whatever the subject, this is about as good as it gets. I constantly complain about web sites and life in general not being "user friendly". This site is relatively easy to navigate. There are many features, maybe the volume was too much for the critic to handle. If there's a little something you're having trouble doing or finding someone will help in a timely manner. You don't have to be a techno wizard to enjoy WSI.

JayMoroniotti
10-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Let's try to have a little understanding for our neighbors up north.

They'll figure out how to work that dang internet one of these days.

antitwins13
10-23-2005, 01:27 AM
I say who cares? I don't want a bunch of Twins fans getting on here and trolling anyways.

flo-B-flo
10-23-2005, 07:37 AM
Well, I've never had any trouble finding my way around the labyrinthine complexities of WSI, and I'm a foreigner!

I mean, click on the 'Photos' link, you get photos.
Click on 'Message Boards', and you get this really weird page that keeps updating with other people's opinions all over it...:D:

'Sox Greats', of course, links to a bunch of ballplayers no-one has ever heard of though, so maybe that's the cause of confusion - I mean, how many of these guys actually ever played for Boston?

Yep, I can see where that would be confusing...

I guess the low temperatures in Minnesota compromise the clock speed of the old grey matter or something?

If any of you reading this are new, it's very much worth your while to explore all the links available on the homepage.
Not only can you learn about the teams down the years, read interviews with former Sox, and listen to some great sound clips, you can put some faces to the aliases on here.

This is the best Sox site on the web, and IMO the best Baseball Message Boards too.

Major props to all of you who make it possible by Administering/moderating this monster.
:worship: :thumbsup: :gulp: I was gonna flame that cridiot but, this expresses it all.