PDA

View Full Version : a reputatble rumor


longshot7
12-12-2001, 08:40 PM
heh-heh. Yeah right.
Anyway, I heard on a pretty good sportstalk show out here these new ones:

Lee to the Mets for Payton and Appier

Rauch and Durham to the Pirates for Giles


Maybe we'll see this 2nd one with the Erstad deal dead, and btw, Disney nixed the deal because they're trying to sell the team. How can you attract a buyer when you don't have any players?
Too bad though.

czalgosz
12-12-2001, 08:44 PM
(1)If they trade Rauch to the Pirates, they better freakin' tattoo the fact that he was hurt last year on his forehead, so there's no misunderstanding.

(2)Both Jay Payton and Kevin Appier suck, and they're too expensive anyway. Why add payroll to get crappy players?

(3)Brian Giles would definitely be an upgrade, but losing Durham and adding Giles would turn a slow team into a s-l-o-w team, iirc.

(4)Why are the Pirates so desperate to get rid of Giles, anyway? I thought they had him locked up for several more years. wouldn't they build around him?

Paulwny
12-12-2001, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by czalgosz
[B

(4)Why are the Pirates so desperate to get rid of Giles, anyway? I thought they had him locked up for several more years. wouldn't they build around him? [/B][/QUOTE


Are they actually shopping him or is it the sox probing?

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 08:51 PM
I think Kenny Williams would need some 24 hour protection if he traded Rauch.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Are they actually shopping him or is it the sox probing?

If you trust ESPN he is being shopped the A's offered Dye and a prospect.

longshot7
12-12-2001, 08:56 PM
Payton would be an upgrade over Singleton, n'est-pas? We can put him in center and Rowand in left.

and the Pirates are looking to deal Giles because they didn't make as much money from their new ballpark as they hoped and cannot afford him

and I'd trade Rauch for Giles - yeah, who'd want a proven player when they could have a prospect?

Daver
12-12-2001, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I think Kenny Williams would need some 24 hour protection if he traded Rauch.

Why?
Giles is a proven star,Rauch is a prospect that has already had arm problems.The Sox are loaded in pitching prospects,they can afford to deal a couple.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by daver
Why?
Giles is a proven star,Rauch is a prospect that has already had arm problems.The Sox are loaded in pitching prospects,they can afford to deal a couple.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Whatever. I don't have time to argue with you Daver. Believe what you want.

AsInWreck
12-12-2001, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
Payton would be an upgrade over Singleton, n'est-pas? We can put him in center and Rowand in left.



Payton is no upgrade/he is Singleton's evil clone

PaleHoseGeorge
12-12-2001, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
(2)Both Jay Payton and Kevin Appier suck, and they're too expensive anyway. Why add payroll to get crappy players?


I strongly recommend discounting any rumors involving New York. Both teams (but especially the Mets) are notorious for feeding "reliable source" rumors to the local rags (especially Newsday and the Post) who then dutifully report it as though it were fact. Naturally, every trade they report is completely one-sided for NYC.

It's like having your own Charlie McCarthy doll. Newsday moves its jaw and you can't even see the Mets' lips move.

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
I think Kenny Williams would need some 24 hour protection if he traded Rauch.

id go looking for him on that one....... :) Rauch better go NOWHERE.

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by daver


Why?
Giles is a proven star,Rauch is a prospect that has already had arm problems.The Sox are loaded in pitching prospects,they can afford to deal a couple.

But then again what the hell do I know?

oh get off the crack.....

longshot7
12-12-2001, 09:07 PM
Thx George! They may be fiction, but I just love hearing em. It makes this slow offseason move faster.

Daver
12-12-2001, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31


oh get off the crack.....

When does the season open on that?

And can I use a rifle or is it shotgun only?

:)

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by daver


When does the season open on that?

And can I use a rifle or is it shotgun only?

:)


lol thats up to you....

OfficerKarkovice
12-12-2001, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by daver


Why?
Giles is a proven star,Rauch is a prospect that has already had arm problems.The Sox are loaded in pitching prospects,they can afford to deal a couple.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Daver you're not alone...I'd consider it.

Daver
12-12-2001, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Whatever. I don't have time to argue with you Daver. Believe what you want.

Or do you have no argument?

Soxboyrob
12-12-2001, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by daver


Why?
Giles is a proven star,Rauch is a prospect that has already had arm problems.The Sox are loaded in pitching prospects,they can afford to deal a couple.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Daver, this makes perfect sense to me. You're absolutely right. Rausch has proven absolutely nothing except that he's an injured prospect. Prior to the injury, he was throwing the ball 95 mph. It's not like he was blowing peoples' doors off or anything. He had one great year in the minors and that's it. I'd trade Rausch and Lee for Giles yesterday and wouldn't bother looking back. Giles is a borderline superstar and is definitely all star caliber. Rausch, on the other hand, could blow out his elbow tomorrow.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob


Daver, this makes perfect sense to me. You're absolutely right. Rausch has proven absolutely nothing except that he's an injured prospect. Prior to the injury, he was throwing the ball 95 mph. It's not like he was blowing peoples' doors off or anything. He had one great year in the minors and that's it. I'd trade Rausch and Lee for Giles yesterday and wouldn't bother looking back. Giles is a borderline superstar and is definitely all star caliber. Rausch, on the other hand, could blow out his elbow tomorrow.



I agree there. You have to give up something to get a star. As long as they are not giving up Mark Burhele, I'm fine with it.

Soxboyrob
12-12-2001, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
[B
(2)Both Jay Payton and Kevin Appier suck, and they're too expensive anyway. Why add payroll to get crappy players?

([/B]

You're telling me Appier sucks? What are you smoking? Look at what he's done over the last two years and notice the way he is chewing up innings and improving each year since his surgery 3 seasons ago. Appier is a solid #2 starter in our rotation. I'd feel good about our chances w/ the Ape in our rotation. That said, he makes too much for the Sox to consider acquiring him.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
Or do you have no argument?

I'm actually working on something for George if you must know. I don't want Rauch traded simple as that. If you'd like to see him go fine that's your opinion and your welcome to it.

GASHWOUND
12-12-2001, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob


Daver, this makes perfect sense to me. You're absolutely right. Rausch has proven absolutely nothing except that he's an injured prospect. Prior to the injury, he was throwing the ball 95 mph. It's not like he was blowing peoples' doors off or anything. He had one great year in the minors and that's it. I'd trade Rausch and Lee for Giles yesterday and wouldn't bother looking back. Giles is a borderline superstar and is definitely all star caliber. Rausch, on the other hand, could blow out his elbow tomorrow.

I also would trade Rausch for Giles. What the hell is wrong with you people if you would turn your head on that trade? Losing Durham?
Why wouldn't we want a .300, 40 HR, 120 rbi guy patroling CF?

Daver
12-12-2001, 09:48 PM
But then again what the hell do I know?

Bmr31
12-12-2001, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by GASHWOUND


I also would trade Rausch for Giles. What the hell is wrong with you people if you would turn your head on that trade? Losing Durham?
Why wouldn't we want a .300, 40 HR, 120 rbi guy patroling CF? [/QUOTE

lol you cant even spell his name so how could you know anything about him?

bringbackrobin
12-12-2001, 10:22 PM
Giles would be worth Rauch. Appier pitched very well last year, but he's 34 and not getting any younger. And isn't he signed to a huge contract?

And Payton is Singleton with less power. Call him "slower swing," if you like.

Daver
12-12-2001, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
Giles would be worth Rauch. Appier pitched very well last year, but he's 34 and not getting any younger. And isn't he signed to a huge contract?

Is 22 million huge?

czalgosz
12-12-2001, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by daver


Is 22 million huge?

:reinsy

It is to me.

But in all seriousness, you should know by now that as long as this team is owned by Jerry Reinsdorf, the Sox will not go after high-priced veteran pitchers. And to be fair, a lot of times that's not such a bad thing. How many times has a high-priced veteran pitcher fallen apart? For every Roger Clemens there are three Ken Hills out there. If it were my money, I would sure as hell be careful about spending it on a pitcher who is over 30.

voodoochile
12-12-2001, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by daver


When does the season open on that?

And can I use a rifle or is it shotgun only?

:)

Depends on whose crack you are shooting at...

For JR, you better bring the shotgun... You'll need to cover more territory...

voodoochile
12-12-2001, 11:26 PM
Don't necessarily want to trade Rauch, but for Giles, I'd take a chance. Rauch still hasn't proven anything that Garland, Wells and Eyre didn't already prove and so far, none of them has turned into world beaters...