PDA

View Full Version : White Sox 101 for an Astros' fan

jasonact
10-22-2005, 02:39 AM
I'm an Astros' fan, and I found your site recently. I'm looking for some good baseball discussion over the next week or so. No trolling, just baseball.

Being a die-hard fan of the Astros fan, I know more about about the Astros than any other team. I probably know the other NL teams more than most of the AL teams. Although I am a baseball fan in general, I am embarrassed to say that I know very little about the White Sox.

So I need you guys to educate me on what makes this team tick, beyond what I can read on a stat sheet. (By the way, don't believe everything you read on Astros stat sheets.) A few questions to get you started:

1. Ozzie comes off as a bit crazy, but he seems to be doing a good job. How does he get the job done?
2. I love the Astros' starters (including Backe), but your four look good too. Are they really as good as they were in the ALCS, or were they mainly pitching over their heads?
3. Which is the real White Sox? The team that almost collapsed at the end of the season, or the team that steamrolled through the first two rounds of the playoffs? And how do you explain the team doing both?
4. What's gotten into Konerko?
5. Is Jenks a legit closer or just a place-filler?
6. Could someone please tell Podsednik that the World Series has been cancelled? (That guy killed us when he was with the Brewers. I'm not looking forward to facing him.)

Thanks, and here's to a good Series. May the best team win (as long as it's the Mud and Blood 9 :wink: ).

Huisj
10-22-2005, 02:49 AM
3. Which is the real White Sox? The team that almost collapsed at the end of the season, or the team that steamrolled through the first two rounds of the playoffs? And how do you explain the team doing both?

Your #3 question seems to be worded kind of awkwardly, as if you think the sox are a fluke or something. I don't know if that's the intent, but the last sentance kind of makes it sound that way. I'll respond with a similar question: how do you explain the Astros going 15-30 and then getting to the world series? And then I'll add that at no point during the season did the sox ever have anywhere close to a 15-game-under-.500 stretch. The point is, all teams have ups and downs, so I think that alone explains it.

Konerko can hit, and he can hit home runs. He's been doing that for a while actually. It's not like he's a nonsense unknown who has totally surprised people with his home run power all the sudden. He's been hitting home runs pretty steadily for years, save for his messed up 2003 season.

Sox 19
10-22-2005, 02:52 AM
1. Ozzie comes off as a bit crazy, but he seems to be doing a good job. How does he get the job done? Ozzie doesn't stay in his office, he hangs out in the locker room with the rest of the players, as if he was a player. The team see's him as a leader and puts all their trust in him!
2. I love the Astros' starters (including Backe), but your four look good too. Are they really as good as they were in the ALCS, or were they mainly pitching over their heads? There that good!
3. Which is the real White Sox? The team that almost collapsed at the end of the season, or the team that steamrolled through the first two rounds of the playoffs? And how do you explain the team doing both? Its a mix of both! They came out hot, got tired, woke back up and here we are!
4. What's gotten into Konerko? He's on fire, wants to win it just as much as we want them to win it!
5. Is Jenks a legit closer or just a place-filler? He has moved his way into that position, but Ozzie will put in who he feels most comfortable with at any given time.
6. Could someone please tell Podsednik that the World Series has been cancelled? (That guy killed us when he was with the Brewers. I'm not looking forward to facing him.) Sorry, no can do! He's a good part of why we're here!

MrRoboto83
10-22-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm an Astros' fan, and I found your site recently. I'm looking for some good baseball discussion over the next week or so. No trolling, just baseball.

Being a die-hard fan of the Astros fan, I know more about about the Astros than any other team. I probably know the other NL teams more than most of the AL teams. Although I am a baseball fan in general, I am embarrassed to say that I know very little about the White Sox.

So I need you guys to educate me on what makes this team tick, beyond what I can read on a stat sheet. (By the way, don't believe everything you read on Astros stat sheets.) A few questions to get you started:

1. Ozzie comes off as a bit crazy, but he seems to be doing a good job. How does he get the job done?
2. I love the Astros' starters (including Backe), but your four look good too. Are they really as good as they were in the ALCS, or were they mainly pitching over their heads?
6. Could someone please tell Podsednik that the World Series has been cancelled? (That guy killed us when he was with the Brewers. I'm not looking forward to facing him.)

Thanks, and here's to a good Series. May the best team win (as long as it's the Mud and Blood 9 :wink: ).

:welcome:
Ozzie runs a very loose clubhouse, he allows no clicks and he tells his ballplayers just how it is. He has an open door kinda of policy where he doesn't want to read about something someone said in a newspaper without him knowing about it first. I have never seen a team get along as well as this group of guys.

Our starting pitching has been getting it done all year long, they lead the league in wins and era, and I believe innings pitched. They have been horses all year long.

The White Sox did not collapse, the Indians just played better ball than anyone after the all-star break. At the all-star break we were on a pace to win 120 games I believe, nobody is going to keep that pace up all year.

Paul Konerko has been solid for most of the year, he has been our power guy. Don't let him fool you though, if you pay too much attention to him, cause we have plenty of power throughout the lineup.

You better hope you don't see Jenks, cause his 97-100 mph fastball teamed up with a curve he can throw for strikes makes him nasty. He is the real deal!

Also, it hasn't been a surprise to us that the Sox have gotten this far, they have been the best team in the AL all season from day 1.

Nellie_Fox
10-22-2005, 03:06 AM
Welcome Jason. I probably know less about the Astros than you do about the Sox, because I pay almost no attention to the NL. Your questions:

He's just crazy enough. He truly doesn't care what you think about him, which allows him to make unconventional moves. Most modern managers would have been terrified to let the starters pitch all those complete games in the ALCS for fear of being second-guessed if it didn't work.

Oh, yeah, they're that good.

This has already been explained. They had a period where they played just above .500 ball, then got it going again. Your Astros are far more of a surprise overcoming the 15-30 start.

He hit 40 homers each of the last two years. Nothing has gotten into him.

Legit, but young and untested. He seems fearless. He's been clocked as high as 102 mph in Seattle (although I suspect their gun might be a bit generous) and consistently hits 97-99, mixing it with a killer curve.

No, but thanks for asking.

Banix12
10-22-2005, 03:07 AM

1. Depends on who you ask on the site. Some say the sox win despite Ozzie. Some say he's just lucky. Some say he's a genius. I'm of the school that Ozzie is a very good motivator of men and gets the most out of talent, however he is not the greatest strategist when it comes to baseball managers. I guess the answer is most of us are actually still trying to figure out how he gets the job done, but it's working so far so why question it.

I think a lot more of us here wonder how Phil Garner does it with the Astros. That's far more confusing since most of us remember him from his Brewer and Tiger days.

2. Yes, they are all really that good. What you saw in the ALCS is pretty much is all four of them basically in top form. That was the Garland we all saw the first half, that was the Contreras we saw all second, that's how Buehrle can dominate when he is on, and that's how Garcia pitches at his best.

3. The collapse really wasn't a collapse persay since the sox were really playing around .500 ball and the lead shrunk because Cleveland was playing .750 ball for a two month stretch. Though certainly the sox weren't playing their best that stretch. It's very difficult though to play .750 baseball over a full season, that was just the sox rough patch where all the bats stopped hitting. What the sox are doing now is very close to what they were doing at the start of the season until that rough patch in mid-august. That good play is what we've seen the most of this year so I have to assume that is what is real.

4. Konerko gets on hot streaks and during those streaks he can't be stopped. You can tell because he'll start going with the pitches and taking the ball to the opposite field. However he can go just as cold and in those instances his name is Paul "Double Play" Konerko.

A lot of the sox hitters are very streaky, but when they are on they are lights out. As long as the whole team doesn't slump at the same time, they can win. For Example, during the start of the season, Konerko and Dye couldn't hit squat but Crede and Uribe for some reason were unstoppable and helped get the sox off to that start.

5. Jury is still out on Jenks. He certainly has closers stuff and seems to have a closer makeup but even we don't know exactly what to expect from him because he's only been here for half a season. I'd say 95% of the time he has looked unhittable, but in that other 5% he seems to have lapses of concentration and in those times he seems to give up a lot of little hits in a row. I'm sure a lot of us on this site would rather see Hermanson out there in the ninth except his back problems forced the move. Jenks is good though, very good.

antitwins13
10-22-2005, 03:54 AM

Ozzie is a genius and crazy at the same time.
They're that good.
They're streaky, you don't know who you'll get
Nothing, he's always been good, but EaStPN won't show you highlights of him because he's not a Yankee or Red Sox.
He throws 99 and that's legit enough for me.
I saw that he hit 6 HR's off the Stros. You probably won't see him go deep at all in this series he had 0 HR's all year and ran into one in the ALDS. I'd be more afraid of his wheels.
Enjoy your stay here. Try not to be a :dtroll:

Chicago
10-22-2005, 04:26 AM
Wait a second who is this???

BUSTED... should have done your homework during the year... now you want to cram... shame on you. :D:

ATXBMX
10-22-2005, 04:27 AM
1.) Ozzie is just Ozzie, I don't think anyone really understands what he says or how he thinks.

2.) Those four match up pretty well with just about anybody, but what is really impressive is that we have at least 5 guys capable of dominating an imposing line-up. Brandon McCarthy will probably be left off the roster again, but this starting pitching staff, 1-6, is vital to our success.

3.) You don't choke your way into 99 wins or a world series. Cleveland was the team playing out of this world. As I mentioned above, the pitching has been there all year, and they have carried us to a 35-19 record in one run games.

4.) Konerko has always been a dangerous hitter; he's just been stuck in the shadows of Frank Thomas, Magglio Ordonez, and Carlos Lee.

5.) Jenks can dial it up to 102 mph, but usually hovers around 96-98. He's got a curveball in the 80s that will blow your mind. He is the definition of 12-6. When he gets hit, he's usually throwing too many sliders. As a former starter, he has the stamina to go 2+ innings. He definetly has the stuff to be a dominant closer, but he has only seen limited action in the 9th inning at the major league level.

6.) Hell no.

One thing you should know is that our bullpen is right there with the best in the league. The media makes it sound like our bullpen is inferior to Houston's because they haven't had to do much yet. The fact is, Houston's bullpen had a losing record (16-20), while our bullpen was 2nd in the AL and 3rd in all of baseball in ERA (3.23). Oh, and they had a winning record (24-19).

areilly
10-22-2005, 10:05 AM

1. He just knows a lot about baseball, having learned from some of the best (Jeff Torberg, Jack McKeon, Bobby Cox). Likewise, he doesn't overintellectualize it too much; baseball is a game, not a science or an algorithm.
2. They are as good as, if not better than, they showed in the ALCS.
3. I still don't see how winning 99 games and taking the division by six games comes anywhere close to "almost choking." Attribute the team's nervous position more to the stellar run that the Cleveland Indians went on.
4. Same thing that was always there. He's just been relatively unknown because the Sox aren't much of a "glamour team" and don't get as much coverage as a lot of other teams do.
5. For the time being, he's a legit closer; something that's nice to finally have again.
6. God no.

ElevenUp
10-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Wait a second who is this???

BUSTED... should have done your homework during the year... now you want to cram... shame on you. :D:

Now that's funny!!!!:redneck

VenturaSoxFan23
10-22-2005, 12:40 PM

:anderson:

"Who are you calling a place-filler? Is that like being a scrub? If I'm a scrub, I'm a major league scrub."

HotelWhiteSox
10-22-2005, 01:59 PM
To be honest, I haven't followed much NL ball, but am I crazy to fear your starters in this order:
1. Oswalt
2. Clemens
3. Backe
4. Pettite

?

I think we can get to Backe and Pettite, and possibly scratch off a few from Roger (not sure about tonight with the weather factor though) but I am also a little worried because everyone is writing off Backe, whatever go get em, here's to a great series :gulp: