PDA

View Full Version : Another reason it stinks to be in Houston now

gogochisox1917
10-21-2005, 07:57 PM
We all know that Sox fans are the best. I wish I could be in Chicago right now (like my way-too lucky husband is). He said that the city has this awesome energy right now with everyone pulling for the Sox. Then there is Houston (where I am stuck)... It's not that people are rooting for the Astro's. That does not bother me-I understand team loyalty. It's that they are rooting against the Sox...in a big way. All of the talk in the media is not about the Astros winning, it's about the Sox losing. I'm so sick of the negativity! Some DJ was on this morning asking people to phone in ways that people could support the Astros, and all people were calling in with was ways to put down the White Sox (like the nut who said, "Tie some socks to the bumper of your car and let them get all muddy and shredded." Just stupid!) Sox fans have it right: Be positive. Support your team with all your heart. Remember good sportsmanship. I've never been more proud to say that I am a fan of The Chicago White Sox (or embarassed to say that I live in Houston). Whew. Feels good to get some of that off my chest!

antitwins13
10-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Yeah, when I go to school in Iowa I hear if from all the Royals fans, but I guess it's easier to take when they're "The Royals."

kevingrt
10-21-2005, 08:11 PM
To answer your toppic... it's the fattest city in America

Hitmen77
10-21-2005, 08:54 PM
That's what I like about the Sox post season run so far - it hasn't been about the other team, it's been about the Sox winning. I didn't see fans focus on being against the Red Sox and Angels. Same with the Astros. They're just our opponent. We're here to cheer the Sox to victory and we're not focusing on cheering the Astros to defeat.

elrod
10-21-2005, 09:25 PM
But isn't that the Texas way? Beat so-and-so! Beat so-and-so! Rarely is it about "Let's go My Team". Goes back to the old Southern duel culture where public honor required the duelist do vanquish his foe in as humiliating fashion as possible - all while following an elaborate set of rules. College football replaced the old duel in many ways - think of the fights that break out between fans of, say, Texas A&M and UT-Austin, or Alabama and Auburn. Or even between the players. There is no such thing as "being positive" in competitive sports in Southern culture. One's honor demands ruthlessness.

Ironically, one of the prime examples of this in professional sports was the Washington Redskins under George Allen. People forget that the Skins were the Team of the South for decades until the Dallas Cowboys came along in 1960. The two fought a turf battle stretching 1,200 miles wide (this before the Falcons, Panthers, Titans, Jags and other Southern teams). Allen made Cowboy hatred a centerpiece of Redskin fanhood. He turned what seemed a milquetoast divisional rivalry into a passionate hatred akin to an SEC game between UGA and Tennessee. And it worked.

There are intense rivalries in the North, of course. The Bears-Packers, Red Sox-Yankees, but the dynamics are a little different as the fans like to extol their own team's successes more than denigrating the opposition.

BTW, this entire post qualifies as very bad social science, but it's sure fun to put the South down whenever I get the chance. :tongue:

UofCSoxFan
10-21-2005, 09:25 PM
To answer your toppic... it's the fattest city in America

Ha we're number 5...big improvement

I got a kick out of the whole "don't wear socks" weekend....I mean come on people we are named after an article of clothing...its ok to laugh at yourself....I mean I think if anyone knew what the hell an Astro was we would be doing stuff to denounce that up here in Chicago.

On a side note....I CAN'T BELIVE THE FREAKING BEARS GAME IS AT 3:15 TOMORROW. I may have to leave early to catch first pitch.

Erik The Red
10-21-2005, 10:03 PM
On a side note....I CAN'T BELIVE THE FREAKING BEARS GAME IS AT 3:15 TOMORROW. I may have to leave early to catch first pitch.
FYI... the Bears play on Sunday.

oldcomiskey
10-21-2005, 11:44 PM
But isn't that the Texas way? Beat so-and-so! Beat so-and-so! Rarely is it about "Let's go My Team". Goes back to the old Southern duel culture where public honor required the duelist do vanquish his foe in as humiliating fashion as possible - all while following an elaborate set of rules. College football replaced the old duel in many ways - think of the fights that break out between fans of, say, Texas A&M and UT-Austin, or Alabama and Auburn. Or even between the players. There is no such thing as "being positive" in competitive sports in Southern culture. One's honor demands ruthlessness.

Ironically, one of the prime examples of this in professional sports was the Washington Redskins under George Allen. People forget that the Skins were the Team of the South for decades until the Dallas Cowboys came along in 1960. The two fought a turf battle stretching 1,200 miles wide (this before the Falcons, Panthers, Titans, Jags and other Southern teams). Allen made Cowboy hatred a centerpiece of Redskin fanhood. He turned what seemed a milquetoast divisional rivalry into a passionate hatred akin to an SEC game between UGA and Tennessee. And it worked.

There are intense rivalries in the North, of course. The Bears-Packers, Red Sox-Yankees, but the dynamics are a little different as the fans like to extol their own team's successes more than denigrating the opposition.

BTW, this entire post qualifies as very bad social science, but it's sure fun to put the South down whenever I get the chance. :tongue:
now why would you want to put down the south--that smacks of discrimination( see how silly that sounds)

seriously though, I live in north Mississippi and I can certainly testrify to the that fact about southern fans--makes us yankees seem tame

MiamiSpartan
10-22-2005, 07:23 AM
I lived there for two years....it ALWAYS stinks to be in Houston...especially heading SW of town by all the refineries...:D: