PDA

View Full Version : "From Dunce to Genius"..

Tragg
10-21-2005, 05:38 PM
I don't know whether this has been posted, but a nice article on Kenny in the Seattle times.

"And Williams deserves major credit for not only having the courage to totally remake the Sox, but to do so by taking chances on numerous players that other teams shied away from for either character- or performance-based reasons. Or both"

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002574191_ston21.html

Madvora
10-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I think he'd have more courage keeping the same team around and not making any changes. It's common sense that something had to be done.

That's the "definition of insanity" you always hear - trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results - 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 White Sox.

veeter
10-21-2005, 05:45 PM
I think he'd have more courage keeping the same team around and not making any changes. It's common sense that something had to be done.That's the "definition of insanity" you always hear - trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results - 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 White Sox. I disagree. All you have to look at was the reaction around baseball when he made the CLee trade. Although, throught the eyes of fed-up Sox fans, you're right, no changes would have been suicide.

MarySwiss
10-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Good article on Kenny.

Here's another one on Ozzie, from the Arizona Republic. http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1021reaves1021.html

Tragg
10-21-2005, 05:52 PM
I think he'd have more courage keeping the same team around and not making any changes. It's common sense that something had to be done.

That's the "definition of insanity" you always hear - trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results - 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 White Sox.

Williams tried to improve the pitching and defense on this club since the day he took over. He made some bad moves (Ritchie, Clayton), moves that were well-conceived but flopped (Wells), but things finally came together beginning midpoint of last season (although the wins didn't really begin until this season).

Oh, and I would advise against the Clueless column on ESPN, especially if you've just eaten lunch. It reads like something written by Moronotti in the middle of July.

34 Inch Stick
10-21-2005, 05:55 PM
I give KW more credit for this season than any non player in the organization.

mweflen
10-21-2005, 05:59 PM
I give KW more credit for this season than any non player in the organization.

Agreed. He finally filled all of the hugely obvious gaping holes in the roster.

But I also agree with the notion: what took so long?

Randar68
10-21-2005, 06:03 PM

LONG TERM CONTRACTS...

Tragg
10-21-2005, 06:04 PM

Interesting question.

I'd say:
He got a budget increase this offseason;
It's not an exact science - some work some don't; these did;
It takes time to build a 5-deep starting staff.
Lead-off hitters are hard to find at any time, much less a lead-off hitter to fit a limited budget; he finally found one available at the right price.
Most importantly, he finally had a manager that he was on the same page with re what type of player they wanted.

fquaye149
10-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Interesting question.

I'd say:
He got a budget increase this offseason;
It's not an exact science - some work some don't; these did;
It takes time to build a 5-deep starting staff.
Lead-off hitters are hard to find at any time, much less a lead-off hitter to fit a limited budget; he finally found one available at the right price.
Most importantly, he finally had a manager that he was on the same page with re what type of player they wanted.

not to mention this season the moves we made that were supposed to work (signing el Duque, Garland in the five spot, Hermanson, etc...) DID work.

Last year we could have made the playoffs had Frank and Magglio stayed healthy. This year we would not have made the playoffs if a single one of our starters blown their arm out early or if Hermanson had been unable to pick up for Shingo.

I have always liked Kenny's effort. I think he has definitely improved coming into this year BUT I think he could have been successful in the past as well if things had gone as well for them as they did this year.

FarWestChicago
10-21-2005, 11:57 PM
But I also agree with the notion: what took so long?:fobbgod:

No ****, look how fast I got to the World Series. Oh, wait... :redface: