PDA

View Full Version : If you're going to visit Sox fans no longer with us...

Viva Medias B's
10-21-2005, 03:07 PM
...be sure to mark their places of eternal rest with a Sox decoration. I did this that today while visiting Holy Sepulchre Cemetery (http://www.cathcemchgo.org/cemeteries/holysepulchre.htm) in Worth. The relatives of mine residing there have received their White Sox AL Champion flags. The Sanouris nursery across the street from Holy Sepulchre has the Sox flags, Sox stake markers, and other Sox paraphernalia you can give to our fellow Sox fans who are no longer with us.

I should note that there are policies (http://www.cathcemchgo.org/GraveDec.htm) in effect for decorating places of eternal rest at Catholic cemeteries (some of which seem to discourage doing what we are doing here), but I would suspect that Holy Sepulchre and other Catholic cemeteries on the South Side would allow Sox decorating under these circumstances. We should keep in mind, however, that such decorating must be done in good taste because such places are very sacred.

As for the Daley plot near the entrance of Holy Sepulchre, there were no Sox decorations there. One would think that the eternal resting place of the biggest Sox fans ever would have somthing. Obviously, we'll leave it to the Daley family to decide how their plot should be adorned.

Muopsies
10-21-2005, 03:19 PM
I know a couple of big Sox fans who reside there now. holla Jim & Bob!. No doubt they're smiling down now. I'll go there when I get home and tell them all about the playoffs.

mjharrison72
10-21-2005, 03:27 PM
And be careful... according to the policies, we're in the middle of fall clean-up, so anything you put could be removed very quickly:

SPRING AND FALL MAJOR CEMETERY CLEAN UP
March 15-31 and October 15-31 are used to clean up the grounds and prepare the cemetery for the spring and winter. All decorations will be removed and disposed of at this time. If you wish to save your decoration, please remove it before March 15 and before October 15. Please do not place any decorations during this time.

Of course, I think it's important to honor those Sox fans who have gone before us and to whom we owe our allegiance to the White Sox; just don't want to see things "removed or disposed of" so quickly.

Viva Medias B's
10-21-2005, 04:45 PM
And be careful... according to the policies, we're in the middle of fall clean-up, so anything you put could be removed very quickly:

Of course, I think it's important to honor those Sox fans who have gone before us and to whom we owe our allegiance to the White Sox; just don't want to see things "removed or disposed of" so quickly.

I would think that Catholic Cemeteries ─ especially ones with many Sox fans such as Holy Sepulchre, Mt. Olivet, St. Mary, and St. Casimir ─ would understand the circumstances and allow Sox decorations at least through the duration of the World Series.

LuvSox
10-22-2005, 01:32 AM
Amazing how many people have the same ideas. We've decided to wait for a championship before putting the Sox stuff out. Our dearly departed have already seen a Sox world series, this year is nothing new :D:.

Garland_IS_God
10-22-2005, 03:01 AM
A lady at work told me her cousin was taking his dad's ashes to game 1 because he was a die hard fan. He passed away a week ago so his son thought it would be a great way for his dad to see the game.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Not to urinate on anybody's parade, but if he's passed on, he has the best seat in the house. (That's how I look at it with my dad.)
Explain to security what that is in the box. Bring a picture of him instead.

Railsplitter
10-22-2005, 01:16 PM
My Paternal grandfather will have one of those celestial seats too. For him, a Sox World Championship was literally a once in a lifetime experience

Garland_IS_God
10-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Not to urinate on anybody's parade, but if he's passed on, he has the best seat in the house. (That's how I look at it with my dad.)
Explain to security what that is in the box. Bring a picture of him instead.

Thats what I was wondering too. I don't think security will allow him to bring the urn into the stadium. He's gonna have to crotch it inorder to get passed.