PDA

View Full Version : What do we do now???

dougs78
12-12-2001, 07:06 PM
Well, this is just plain bad. How do you go and explain to Singleton and Garland that, "Gee, we really wanted to trade you, but gosh, we're really glad to have you back!" It would seem that for sure Singleton will have to be traded.

Also, I doubt the Giles thing will happen. If thats not good enough for Erstad, then I'm not sure I want to give buehrle and garland to get Giles.

jklm
12-12-2001, 07:09 PM
Poor Kenny, even in a no-trade, he looks incompetent... :smile:

CerberusWG
12-12-2001, 07:13 PM
Well, I could lare less about Slow-Swing. He bitched his head off when Rowand produced, and Garland....

"Hey Jon, look at your contract another million dollars a year just appeared!"

CLR01
12-12-2001, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
Well, I could lare less about Slow-Swing. He bitched his head off when Rowand produced, and Garland....

"Hey Jon, look at your contract another million dollars a year just appeared!"

Dude you need to get a new story, Singleton never bitched about playing time or Rowand producing.

"Yeah get it right."

:slowswing

GASHWOUND
12-12-2001, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by CLR01

Dude you need to get a new story, Singleton never bitched about playing time or Rowand producing.

"Yeah get it right."

:slowswing

You can tell he was not pleased, but slowswing is not the complainy type

PaleHoseGeorge
12-12-2001, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
You can tell he was not pleased, but slowswing is not the complainy type

Didn't Swingleton go into Manuel's office whining about playing time? I recall him quoted as "still the guy" in center field.

:rowand
"Oh, brother..."

GASHWOUND
12-12-2001, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Didn't Swingleton go into Manuel's office whining about playing time? I recall him quoted as "still the guy" in center field.

"Oh, brother..."

Ummm, I don't remember. But then again, I can't remember what I did 10 minutes ago.

CerberusWG
12-12-2001, 09:55 PM
Give me a break. When Slow Swing sat he was bitching to the media about how the Sox CF job "isn't the only job in baseball" This guy flat out blows. His OBP hovers around .300, botches half of his SB attempts and has no arm.

Soxboyrob
12-12-2001, 10:05 PM
Give me a break. When Slow Swing sat he was bitching to the media about how the Sox CF job "isn't the only job in baseball" This guy flat out blows. His OBP hovers around .300, botches half of his SB attempts and has no arm.

Actually, he has a better than average arm and was extremely successful at stealing bases before this season. If the guy works on his hitting eye and can learn to take a few more walks, he can be a .350 OBP guy. He's also our best overall defensive player.

CLR01
12-12-2001, 10:11 PM

"Oh, brother..."

How is him saying i am still the guy in center, complaining about playing time? I am still the smartest baseball guy on this board but it doesnt mean i am complaining that there are hundreds of people here who are smarter than me. Besides i though that was maunels quote. I thought the exact quote was JM told me i am still the guy in Centerfield.

bringbackrobin
12-12-2001, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

Actually, he has a better than average arm and was extremely successful at stealing bases before this season. If the guy works on his hitting eye and can learn to take a few more walks, he can be a .350 OBP guy. He's also our best overall defensive player.

That's a big "if" for a 29 year-old.

CLR01
12-12-2001, 10:12 PM

Find me quotes.

Good luck.

RedPinStripes
12-12-2001, 10:15 PM

How is him saying i am still the guy in center, complaining about playing time? I am still the smartest baseball guy on this board but it doesnt mean i am complaining that there are hundreds of people here who are smarter than me. Besides i though that was maunels quote. I thought the exact quote was JM told me i am still the guy in Centerfield.

Nope. It was Sinleton who said that. If you want to , you can pay the 2.50 to pull the archives up again.

You just made that up. admit it. :smile:

CLR01
12-12-2001, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Nope. It was Sinleton who said that. If you want to , you can pay the 2.50 to pull the archives up again.

You just made that up. admit it. :smile:

What the 2.50? No the bastards at the Dailyherald.com charge you 2.50 to pull an article outof the archives.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-12-2001, 10:19 PM

LOL, I think running into the boss's office when you're worried about playing time is the smoking gun here. The fact Swingleton then was quoted about his skull session with Manuel simply confirms Swingleton had a conversation with Manuel in the first place. I mean, it's not like the manager is concerned about explaining who plays center field, right?

:slowswing = :whiner:

Not that that makes him a bad guy, of course. And Lord knows everyone else was whining to the press about playing time, too.
:cool:

:jerry
"I made it worse by giving the whiners more playing time."

:canseco :slowswing :hitless
"It worked for us!"

:milk
"Not for me."

CLR01
12-12-2001, 10:23 PM

LOL, I think running into the boss's office when you're worried about playing time is the smoking gun here. The fact Swingleton then was quoted about his skull session with Manuel simply confirms Swingleton had a conversation with Manuel in the first place. I mean, it's not like the manager is concerned about explaining who plays center field, right?

:slowswing = :whiner:

Not that that makes him a bad guy, of course. And Lord knows everyone else was whining to the press about playing time, too.
:cool:

:jerry
"I made it worse by giving the whiners more playing time."

:canseco :slowswing :hitless
"It worked for us!"

:milk
"Not for me."

But how do you know exactly how it went down? Maybe Manuel confronted Chris and told him, "We are going to be giving Rowand some extended playing time to see what he can do, but i want you to know you are still the guy in centerfield.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-12-2001, 10:28 PM
But how do you know exactly how it went down? Maybe Manuel confronted Chris and told him, "We are going to be giving Rowand some extended playing time to see what he can do, but i want you to know you are still the guy in centerfield.

Umm... because the manager never needs a reason for anything he does?

:gun
"Like playing me!"

:harold
"Or playing me!"

:sean
"Or sending me to Charlotte!"

But you're right, I wasn't there. I don't remember Singleton stating he was stopped in the hall by the skipper with an explanation why Rowand was playing. My memory has been known to fail me at times. :?:

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 10:34 PM
Find me quotes.
Good luck.

I did.
Wasn't hard, check the top of the clubhouse.

czalgosz
12-12-2001, 10:40 PM
I remember when the whole Royce Clayton trade went through, how I was thinking that either Perry or Konerko would have to go to make room. But somehow the Sox managed to keep Perry sitting on the bench, where he did us absolutely no good and his trade value diminished by the day, and also have Harold Baines and Julio Ramirez sitting on the bench wasting space while Liefer and Rowand sat in AAA.

The whole 2001 opening day roster was a mess. Guys like Valentin and Perry and Singleton went into the season not knowing what their role on the team was, and apparently neither Manuel nor Williams knew. I'm surprised there wasn't more griping. To Perry's credit, he rode the bench all season, procucing in April and May when noone else was, while Manuel tried to make sense of the guys that he had been saddled with until injuries sorted things out for them, and he didn't complain one bit. Neither did Graffanino, who I thought should have been playing more during some of Durham and Clayton's more horrific slumps.

I'll give KW a mulligan on the 2001 season, mainly because of the injuries and some first-season jitters. But if things are as messed-up next season as they were this season, I'll be on KW's case with all the rest of you.