PDA

View Full Version : "Bubble" Around the Cell Saturday

ElDuque26
10-21-2005, 12:16 AM
according to an article on ESPN.com, to be within a block of US Cellular field on game day you have to have a ticket on you...seems stupid to me...im still going to go check the box office for released tickets sat morning...police can try to stop me if they so choose :bandance:

gobears1987
10-21-2005, 12:18 AM
IT sounds like security measures, look this is just a guess on my part, but this might have something to do with the OU bombing incident.

elrod
10-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Does the security bubble mean you cannot enter the area around USCF? Or that you will be searched upon entrance? It isn't very clear. I think it would be great if Armour Square became the great rallying point for Sox fans, and if they wanted to scan everybody going in there then fine. But people WILL want to be around the stadium during the game.

DSpivack
10-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Does the security bubble mean you cannot enter the area around USCF? Or that you will be searched upon entrance? It isn't very clear. I think it would be great if Armour Square became the great rallying point for Sox fans, and if they wanted to scan everybody going in there then fine. But people WILL want to be around the stadium during the game.

The ESPN article isn't clear. Tribune article seems pretty clear; you'll be searched, they'll ask why you're there, etc.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-051020soxsecurity,1,6253910.story?coll=chi-news-hed

HotelWhiteSox
10-21-2005, 12:51 AM
From my understanding: if you're around the stadium, you need a ticket on you. If you don't have a ticket, don't go (and, yeah, I'd guess about a .00001% chance of them releasing more tickets that day) Cops may search belongings, check your ticket, etc. They want safety, don't want scalping, no illegal parking, no selling of unlicensed merch, etc

Chisox003
10-21-2005, 12:56 AM
I work there (vending) and havent been there since mid August because Im at school, so I have no idea what will be going on saturday...

Im very curious to see if I get searched when I enter the employee entrance, or if they even let me work since I havent been there in so long

Should be all good though ... I just know I need to be in that park Saturday night

CHISOXFAN13
10-21-2005, 01:24 AM
Here's the deal regarding the entire neighborhood, according to a flyer given to residents by the 9th District today.

Four hours before the game, the perimeter from Pershing to 31st, Wells to Halsted will be closed to anyone who doesn't have proof of residency or a ticket to the ballgame. Those with guest passes will have to arrive before that time.

The area will also be closed until an hour after the game.

It's already crazy around here.

IronFisk
10-21-2005, 02:32 AM
Here's the deal regarding the entire neighborhood, according to a flyer given to residents by the 9th District today.

Four hours before the game, the perimeter from Pershing to 31st, Wells to Halsted will be closed to anyone who doesn't have proof of residency or a ticket to the ballgame. Those with guest passes will have to arrive before that time.

Another reason why I am not showing up to Puffers until game 3. Yikes!

antitwins13
10-21-2005, 02:53 AM
IT sounds like security measures, look this is just a guess on my part, but this might have something to do with the OU bombing incident.

You could be on to something with that, but I don't think this is fair. I hate to bring up the Cubs, but they let everybody hang around on Waveland and Wrigleyville during the 2003 NLCS. I don't see how this is diffrent.

Irishsoxfan
10-21-2005, 02:57 AM
You could be on to something with that, but I don't think this is fair. I hate to bring up the Cubs, but they let everybody hang around on Waveland and Wrigleyville during the 2003 NLCS. I don't see how this is diffrent.

The difference is this is the WS and the cubs haven't had to deal with the security implications of that in a long time

Garland_IS_God
10-21-2005, 03:51 AM
So since I dont have tickets does that mean I cant go to the box office and try for tickets?? I was planning on showing up Saturday at 10:00am for tickets hoping that some would be released. I guess I shouldn't show up.

TomBradley72
10-21-2005, 04:04 AM

Looks like if you get there before 3pm you're OK.

fox23
10-21-2005, 08:41 AM

So I'm assuming then that I can't even head over there to hit up the bars and watch the game?

steff
10-21-2005, 08:59 AM
according to an article on ESPN.com, to be within a block of US Cellular field on game day you have to have a ticket on you...seems stupid to me...im still going to go check the box office for released tickets sat morning...police can try to stop me if they so choose :bandance:

Why check the BO..? It wont be open.

ChiSoxGirl
10-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Another reason why I am not showing up to Puffers until game 3. Yikes!

I had thoughts of going to Puffers after the game on Saturday (because I've had such a rockin' time the first 3 times I've been there) and then again heading down there to watch the game on Sunday, but after reading that little tidbit of information, I may be rethinking my plan for the weekend and postgame celebrations...!

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2005, 09:32 AM
So since I dont have tickets does that mean I cant go to the box office and try for tickets?? I was planning on showing up Saturday at 10:00am for tickets hoping that some would be released. I guess I shouldn't show up.

Is 10 am less than four hours before gametime?

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2005, 09:33 AM
Why check the BO..? It wont be open.

Then how did people get their hands on the few hundred tickets released on gameday for the ALCS Games 1 and 2?

Cat Thief
10-21-2005, 09:42 AM

What's a guest pass? The blue parking passes? I have to get to the VFW on 32nd and Wallace.

Senerch23
10-21-2005, 09:46 AM
Then how did people get their hands on the few hundred tickets released on gameday for the ALCS Games 1 and 2?

The box office will indeed be open on Saturday. I took a walk over there yesterday to ask. For what its worth, the ticket rep told me to buy a lottery ticket on my way over there.

SoxFan78
10-21-2005, 09:46 AM

Very good point, i never thought of it that way. I doubt if they would of enforced that law with all the people on waveland etc. if the cubs made it to the WS.

But I can see a good reason to make the rule though. Its gonna be crazy with all the fans and the media at USCF. No need for people that aren't going to the game hanging around the stadium.

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2005, 10:29 AM
OK, so the police and FBI essentially quarantine the area, and when the Sox win the series in 6 or 7 games, there are no celebrations to be seen, because no one can get there.

Gotcha.

:rolleyes:

Tekijawa
10-21-2005, 10:47 AM
OK, so the police and FBI essentially quarantine the area, and when the Sox win the series in 6 or 7 games, there are no celebrations to be seen, because no one can get there.

Gotcha.

Until an hour after the Game... Not to mention The Sox will take this series in 5 or Less so there won't be any security around Comiskey. Book it!

Dick Allen
10-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Heaven forbid the police should keep people from maybe wanting to have a good time. Jeez.

Hangar18
10-21-2005, 11:12 AM

Gotcha.

YUP. Nobody will be in the area "celebrating", and Carol SLeazak and the rest of the Mediots will write how in 03, the streets were packed with THOUSANDS celebrating at Clark & Addison, while at the CELL, Nobody bats an eye ......... :angry:

On another note ......... there are Several LURKERS here who are throwing big tailgate parties before Game 1. How will some of us get to it if theres no ticket-no entry?

Cellview22
10-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Is there anywhere else, besides around the Cell, where fans could congregate in the streets and celebrate if we win the Series?

Somewhere in Chicago, they should have a huge projection screen on a wall of a building where thousands of fans could watch the game, and then celebrate afterwards. We need to show our Sox Pride somewhere!!!

anewman35
10-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Heaven forbid the police should keep people from maybe wanting to have a good time. Jeez.

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here, but what if somebody without a ticket shows up and starts a fight, or shows up and does something even worse? You know everybody would blame the cops and homeland security for not keeping the area safer.

yessssssss
10-21-2005, 11:23 AM
Is there anywhere else, besides around the Cell, where fans could congregate in the streets and celebrate if we win the Series?

Somewhere in Chicago, they should have a huge projection screen on a wall of a building where thousands of fans could watch the game, and then celebrate afterwards. We need to show our Sox Pride somewhere!!!

That's what they do in Germany for the World Cup games, and it's almost as fun as being at the game itself. Almost...

HotelWhiteSox
10-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Also, ABC says Fundamentals, Fan Deck, and Bullpen Sports Bar will be closed as well

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here, but what if somebody without a ticket shows up and starts a fight, or shows up and does something even worse? You know everybody would blame the cops and homeland security for not keeping the area safer.

Isn't that a risk that happens with almost every single sporting event or concert everywhere in America, 365 days a year?

I can see protecting the area from someone driving a truck full of explosives up to the gates of the park, but to keep people from tailgating with friends or just generally soaking in the atmosphere is freaking ridiculous. Tell me this would be the case around Wrigley Field. I dare you.

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2005, 12:21 PM
Also, ABC says Fundamentals, Fan Deck, and Bullpen Sports Bar will be closed as well

Man, at this rate, the Cell will really be rocking!!!

mattcoz
10-21-2005, 12:22 PM

They should do it in Grant Park, like when they have the outdoor film festival.

SoxFan78
10-21-2005, 12:24 PM

I think ESPN Baseball Tonight has taken over the Fundamentals deck if im not mistaken.

Jiddy78
10-21-2005, 12:24 PM
From my understanding: if you're around the stadium, you need a ticket on you. If you don't have a ticket, don't go (and, yeah, I'd guess about a .00001% chance of them releasing more tickets that day) Cops may search belongings, check your ticket, etc. They want safety, don't want scalping, no illegal parking, no selling of unlicensed merch, etc

Two COMPLETELY different situations...but I got Club level tickets for the Marlins/Yankees World Series game 5 at about 10 AM gameday....

*cringes*

It pains me to think that I referred to Jose Contreras as "Meat" at least 15 times that day....

LOL....Like I said...COMPLETELY different situations....

Jose will own this time....Roger will be the "Meat"...

WHOOT!

Gameday releases are rare, but I assure you...not unprecedented....

Two Club level seats to the world series for about $200 a few years back is proof enough for me.

Good luck boys.

anewman35
10-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Isn't that a risk that happens with almost every single sporting event or concert everywhere in America, 365 days a year?

I can see protecting the area from someone driving a truck full of explosives up to the gates of the park, but to keep people from tailgating with friends or just generally soaking in the atmosphere is freaking ridiculous. Tell me this would be the case around Wrigley Field. I dare you.

Yes, it is a risk everywhere every day of the year, but you'd have to think there's more of a risk during a huge national event in one of the biggest cities in America. Whenever they have a Super Bowl, I always read about the security precautions, I don't see why this would be any different.

And you're probably right, this wouldn't happen around Wrigley Field, because I think that neighborhood would put up a much bigger fight about it. Like it or not, Wrigleyville is considered part of the Wrigley Field expierence, and the neighborhood around the Cell is not though about the same way by most people.

PatK
10-21-2005, 12:40 PM

That's what burns me about this.

I had to deal with the nuisance and inconvenience of having 10-20 thousand goofballs hanging out in the streets and taking parking two years ago.

Of course, they we're portrayed as "great" Cubs fans, but they were annoying and rude. I had one guy threaten me and threaten to damage my car for parking too close to him when i left him a foot of room (although he was a yuppie who probably never parellel parked before). I repeatedly had drunken louts tell me how the neighborhood wouldn't exist it it weren't for them when I asked them to be quiet and respect the residents.

And my place is 4 blocks from the park, a block off LSD.

However, it was fun hearing drunken Cubs fans crying and moaning walking home after game 7, especially when someone yelled from a window one time "**** and go home you losers".

bestkosher
10-21-2005, 12:43 PM
wonders how they are going to control the El stops and bus routes to there. Can imagine there being a few scalpers waiting there and a few fans trying to enjoy the sounds from the red line and green line stops.

Hangar18
10-21-2005, 12:43 PM
I think ESPN Baseball Tonight has taken over the Fundamentals deck if im not mistaken.

I will FLIP OUT, if ESPN tries to pull another fast one, and broadcasts from Wrigley Field again .........like they did for the 2003 All-Star Game

Hangar18
10-21-2005, 12:45 PM
That's what burns me about this.

I had to deal with the nuisance and inconvenience of having 10-20 thousand goofballs hanging out in the streets and taking parking two years ago.

Of course, they we're portrayed as "great" Cubs fans, but they were annoying and rude.

You know thats going to be the case ........

steff
10-21-2005, 01:11 PM

Ticketfast. The BO will not be open per the Sox.

steff
10-21-2005, 01:11 PM
The box office will indeed be open on Saturday. I took a walk over there yesterday to ask. For what its worth, the ticket rep told me to buy a lottery ticket on my way over there.

Ask them now and they say no.

steff
10-21-2005, 01:12 PM
On another note ......... there are Several LURKERS here who are throwing big tailgate parties before Game 1. How will some of us get to it if theres no ticket-no entry?

You wont... :(:

Garland_IS_God
10-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Is 10 am less than four hours before gametime?

I didn't catch that part.

steff
10-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I will FLIP OUT, if ESPN tries to pull another fast one, and broadcasts from Wrigley Field again .........like they did for the 2003 All-Star Game

Are you on crack...? They were on the fan deck the day of the AS game.

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2005, 01:23 PM
The more I think about this security bubble thing, the more pissed off I'm getting. What do police think is going to happen? 9 million people try to come down to Bridgeport to stand outside in the cold, rainy elements, instead of an extra 20,000 people in the parking lots, on the streets, etc.? In case anyone hasn't noticed, there is so much raw acreage around the park, that even 20,000 people milling around isn't going to cause that much of a problem, especially as all the streets will be blocked off to vehicles.

What this is going to do is absolutely kill the atmosphere around the park before the games. It's going to feel much less buzz than it otherwise would. What I don't get is, I got to ride my bike around Wrigley Field during Game 6 of the NLCS, and the only extraordinary precautions police took was to cordon off Waveland behind the park so that there weren't too many people trying to catch home run balls. Yes, this is the World Series, but is it THAT much more of a big deal that they need to basically smother the entire area with police and keep everyone else out?

I'm sorry, this is a ****ing disgrace.

Law11
10-21-2005, 01:26 PM
I have a friend as many of us do whos a Chgo cop. He said dont even think about coming down to just tailgate in the lots. There will basically be road blocks set up and everyone waiting to gain entrance into the buble zone will be asked for either a ticket or Licence to show they live in the area.
This is for car and people parking outside the bubble zone who think they will be able to walk to the area on foot. Everyone will be checked.

How I have no clue.

They want to kee the crowds limited to the 40k at the game and the residents of the area.

ajtokarz
10-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Yes, this is the World Series, but is it THAT much more of a big deal that they need to basically smother the entire area with police and keep everyone else out?

See what happens when you don't give John Cusack tickets to a game? Or should we blame Blago for this one? Nah...i'll go with Cusack.

SOXPHILE
10-21-2005, 01:30 PM

Your are correct. They will be broadcasting from up there. This morning, Mike North said he thought it would be funny if a bunch of kids went up there with baseball bats and chased them out of there, so they could hit in the batting cage, and do all the other activities up there. Personally, I think John Kruk would scare them, and probabaly even eat one or two of them.

pdimas
10-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Hey I post occasionally :D:

YUP. Nobody will be in the area "celebrating", and Carol SLeazak and the rest of the Mediots will write how in 03, the streets were packed with THOUSANDS celebrating at Clark & Addison, while at the CELL, Nobody bats an eye ......... :angry:

Cellview22
10-21-2005, 01:35 PM
I have a friend as many of us do whos a Chgo cop. He said dont even think about coming down to just tailgate in the lots. There will basically be road blocks set up and everyone waiting to gain entrance into the buble zone will be asked for either a ticket or Licence to show they live in the area.
This is for car and people parking outside the bubble zone who think they will be able to walk to the area on foot. Everyone will be checked.

How I have no clue.

They want to kee the crowds limited to the 40k at the game and the residents of the area.

Will this prevent the Cell from being full for the starting introductions and national anthem? I'd hate to see a late-arriving crowd with cars backed up for miles just because they're checking every car. We need all 40,000 people rocking inside the Cell before the introductions, as requested by Ozzie himself!

Jerko
10-21-2005, 01:37 PM
Rain or shine, I'm walkin to the game Sunday. It's gonna be a circle-jerk driving. I guess you better get there at 3.

Dick Allen
10-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Well, what's going to happen next, fans won't be able to cheer inside the park because it will disturb the neighbors? Cheeses, I'm with you, this whole thing is making me angrier by the minute. Maybe the cops could something a little more constructive, like going after gangbangers shooting people on their front porches. This is something that hasn't been experienced in this town in 46 years, and it's as if they're trying to mute the whole experience.

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2005, 01:52 PM
"And as the White Sox win Game 7 of the World Series, we go LIVE to 35th Street to interview this....tumbleweed. Tumbleweed, how do you feel about the Sox winning their first championship in 88 years?"

:crickets:

SOXPHILE
10-21-2005, 02:04 PM
The security measures may seem a little extreme and draconian, but we have to remember we live in a post 9/11 world. Can you imagine if they didn't do some of these things, and, God forbid, something did happen ? This is a high profile event, like the Super Bowl, that is a big part of Americana and it's traditions. It can create quite the target. If something did happen, can you imagine all the second guessing and "why wasn't anything done do prevent all this, if they knew it was a possibility, etc."

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2005, 02:07 PM
The security measures may seem a little extreme and draconian, but we have to remember we live in a post 9/11 world. Can you imagine if they didn't do some of these things, and, God forbid, something did happen ? This is a high profile event, like the Super Bowl, that is a big part of Americana and it's traditions. It can create quite the target. If something did happen, can you imagine all the second guessing and "why wasn't anything done do prevent all this, if they knew it was a possibility, etc."

I have no problem with stopping vehicle traffic within a few blocks of the park. That's a no-brainer. But I do object to them stopping pedestrians from even walking near the park or tailgating in the lots.

If they're worried about a suicide bomber or something, tell me this: is it really that difficult for a suicide bomber to, oh, BUY A TICKET to the game? I mean, does this really do anything to improve security?

maurice
10-21-2005, 02:07 PM
1. If the flier is correct, this has nothing to do with terrorists. A terrorist can still walk right up to the park from the east.

2. The 9/11 terrorists had tickets.

gf2020
10-21-2005, 02:09 PM

Um, why the three straight posts? Are you trying to keep people away?

They did release tickets at the BO before Game 2 of ALCS.

anewman35
10-21-2005, 02:16 PM
What this is going to do is absolutely kill the atmosphere around the park before the games. It's going to feel much less buzz than it otherwise would. What I don't get is, I got to ride my bike around Wrigley Field during Game 6 of the NLCS, and the only extraordinary precautions police took was to cordon off Waveland behind the park so that there weren't too many people trying to catch home run balls. Yes, this is the World Series, but is it THAT much more of a big deal that they need to basically smother the entire area with police and keep everyone else out?

I've been to plenty of sold out games this year (where I presume that there aren't additional people there, because why would there be?) that had plenty of buzz and atmosphere. And you keep bringing up the Cubs - that was an LCS. The cops didn't do this for the Sox LCS, either. There's no way to know what they would have done for a Cubs World Series.

anewman35
10-21-2005, 02:17 PM
"And as the White Sox win Game 7 of the World Series, we go LIVE to 35th Street to interview this....tumbleweed. Tumbleweed, how do you feel about the Sox winning their first championship in 88 years?"

:crickets:

Dude, that would be a HOME GAME. There would be 40000 people IN THE STADIUM going crazy, and the TEAM celebrating. Why does it matter if there are people on the street to interview?

SOXPHILE
10-21-2005, 02:21 PM
I have no problem with stopping vehicle traffic within a few blocks of the park. That's a no-brainer. But I do object to them stopping pedestrians from even walking near the park or tailgating in the lots.

If they're worried about a suicide bomber or something, tell me this: is it really that difficult for a suicide bomber to, oh, BUY A TICKET to the game? I mean, does this really do anything to improve security?

Yeah, that is true. All I'm saying is that they can try and make it as difficult as possible for someone to do that stuff. Reduce or limit their options. Nothing is 100% effective. I agree that not letting people without tickets walk around within 2 blocks of the park is wrong. Yes, some brainwashed wack job can pony up the $$ and buy a ticket and get in. But on the flip side, they would also have to pass through metal detectors, and possibly even explosive residue/gunpowder detectors, and other things that they don't even know are there. Hopefullly, all goes well, and people try not to get to aggravated with the police and federal agents helping them out. There's pros and cons to the whole thing, but I'm sure lessons have been learned from past events in the last few years that the authorities can and will apply to this. Bottom line, have a good time, and be safe.

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Dude, that would be a HOME GAME. There would be 40000 people IN THE STADIUM going crazy, and the TEAM celebrating. Why does it matter if there are people on the street to interview?
Uh, I was being sarcastic. To make a point.

Law11
10-21-2005, 02:23 PM
Will this prevent the Cell from being full for the starting introductions and national anthem? I'd hate to see a late-arriving crowd with cars backed up for miles just because they're checking every car. We need all 40,000 people rocking inside the Cell before the introductions, as requested by Ozzie himself!

Thats all I was told is that anyone hanging around the park will be asked to show ID if they dont live in the area they will be told to leave.

The tailgating without a ticket will not happen. This I am told will be one of the biggest primary checks. One reason is parking is at a premium and they feel if you dont have a ticket then entry to the lots wont happen. The attendents will be checking as well upon entry to the lots.

You have to be realistic, they dont want 60k causing chaos around the park before and after the games. As for getting into the areas on foot, I have no clue how you stop that. Random checks I guess. the key to have a full house at gametime. Give yourself 2-3 hours to get to/park and walk to the game. An event this big you should want to get there early. Its the corporate suits sho will trickle into the stadium then complain on Monday how hard it was to get to the game because they didnt allow enought time.

Soxfan35
10-21-2005, 03:02 PM
So it appears this bubble thing will be enforced. Do you guys have any advice on where most of the scalper/brokers will be at? It wouldn't make sense for them to be inside the bubble, because everyone would have a ticket.

steff
10-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Um, why the three straight posts? Are you trying to keep people away?

They did release tickets at the BO before Game 2 of ALCS.

Uh.. post police.. I respond as I read.

I don't care what they did for the other games. This is what they said they are doing for these games.

MarySwiss
10-21-2005, 03:50 PM

When the Series came to Phoenix, that was less than TWO MONTHS after 9/11. There were security measures, but nothing like this. In fact, as I said in a thread awhile ago, people were allowed to watch the games on a Jumbotron in the plaza outside Bank One Ballpark. There were no incidents, not even after the D'Backs won Game 7. So the security measures being put in place here do sound extreme to me.

Jerome
10-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Wow this bubble really 'deflated' my world series plans. (Pun intended) I was planning on going to a tailgate party or at least one of the nearby establishments to watch the game. All that family-friendly crap I guess doesn't matter if its the World Series.

fox23
10-21-2005, 03:58 PM
My friend called up Puffer's this afternoon and the owner said they are outside of the "bubble" (please remember this is secondhand info, don't shoot me if its not true...). Anyway, I am still planning on going there to watch the game. However, does anyone know how you can actually get there on foot from the el without running into the behemoth that is the bubble?

ajtokarz
10-21-2005, 04:01 PM
As much as it pains me to say this.....i'm sure it's due to the pre-conceived notion of the neighborhood........As sad as it is, it is the truth. If the world series was in Evanston, it would NOT be like this.

Just for Bubble clarification.....this will be a true bubble, like the ones they use for driving ranges and similar to the forcefields used by the Gungans in Star Wars, Episode One correct?

MarySwiss
10-21-2005, 04:09 PM
As much as it pains me to say this.....i'm sure it's due to the pre-conceived notion of the neighborhood........As sad as it is, it is the truth. If the world series was in Evanston, it would NOT be like this.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. It'll be interesting to see if they do the same thing in Houston for Games 3 and 4. Bet they don't.

Soxfanspcu11
10-21-2005, 04:09 PM
My friend called up Puffer's this afternoon and the owner said they are outside of the "bubble" (please remember this is secondhand info, don't shoot me if its not true...). Anyway, I am still planning on going there to watch the game. However, does anyone know how you can actually get there on foot from the el without running into the behemoth that is the bubble?

I want to go to puffers too, but isin't puffers at 33rd and Halsted??? Wouldn't that put it "in the bubble?" I know your the messenger here but I'm just confused. And what if Puffers is "in the bubble"? Then they would have to close down because the only people that could go there would be people with tickets, and then why would you go there if you had tickets???? :?: This whole thing is all messed up.

Someone please post if you know anything definite about puffers and the area.

fox23
10-21-2005, 04:11 PM
I want to go to puffers too, but isin't puffers at 33rd and Halsted??? Wouldn't that put it "in the bubble?" I know your the messenger here but I'm just confused. And what if Puffers is "in the bubble"? Then they would have to close down because the only people that could go there would be people with tickets, and then why would you go there if you had tickets???? :?: This whole thing is all messed up.

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought too, I'm hoping someone else can validate my story.

Hondo
10-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Am I in the bubble?

This is insane and ridiculous. I want to drive in from NE Indiana tomorrow, park at my cousins in Canaryville and walk to Puffers or Jimbo's. Am I going to have to go in "stealth mode"?

Soxaholic
10-21-2005, 04:14 PM
According to the CBS website, the bubble is only up to Normal from 33rd to 37th St. If that's the case, only the parking lots and the ballpark are in the bubble.

SoxFan78
10-21-2005, 04:15 PM
I think 33rd and halsted is fine.

The bubble starts at 33rd and Normal I thought.

Baby Fisk
10-21-2005, 04:19 PM

Just for Bubble clarification.....this will be a true bubble, like the ones they use for driving ranges and similar to the forcefields used by the Gungans in Star Wars, Episode One correct?
I was picturing something more like that white bubble that would shoot out of the water everytime The Prisoner tried to escape the Island...

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~bspooner/Prisoner/prisx63.jpg

steff
10-21-2005, 04:23 PM
Am I in the bubble?

This is insane and ridiculous. I want to drive in from NE Indiana tomorrow, park at my cousins in Canaryville and walk to Puffers or Jimbo's. Am I going to have to go in "stealth mode"?

Jimbo's and Puffers are outside the bubble. :gulp:

Hondo
10-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Jimbo's and Puffers are outside the bubble. :gulp:

Thanks Steff. I'm outside the bubble!!! Yey!!

I'm still going in stealth mode though.

Mickster
10-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks Steff. I'm outside the bubble!!! Yey!!

I'm still going in stealth mode though.

Heck, why don't you go in your own bubble........

Hondo
10-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Heck, why don't you go in your own bubble........

Then there might be some bubble on bubble crime. And nobody wants to see that.

cheeses_h_rice
10-21-2005, 04:32 PM

The flyer that was distributed around Bridgeport is wrong.

According to the Cubune:

The security bubble will restrict access four hours before game time and one hour after in an area defined by 33rd Street to 37th Street, and LaSalle Street east of the Dan Ryan Expressway to Normal Avenue west of the stadium.

Normal is just a few blocks west of the park, so Halsted will be clear.

ajtokarz
10-21-2005, 04:52 PM
Then there might be some bubble on bubble crime. And nobody wants to see that.

It's all fun and games till you start watching bubble on bubble action......then you know you're just lonely.

I'm looking forward to the signage at the cell that says "IM IN THE BUBBLE AND YOU'RE NOT! You know that some pillar of society will have that sign somewhere...maybe Blago!

maurice
10-21-2005, 05:11 PM
The flyer that was distributed around Bridgeport is wrong.

I hope you're right, but we don't know yet. The flier distribution and the news conference occurred at about the same time and both derived from the CPD. The news conference said 33rd to 37th and LaSalle to Normal. The flier said Wells to Halsted and 31st to Pershing. Also, the flier is currently posted along 35th St. in front of the Cell.

Either way, Puffer's should be outside of the "bubble," since it's on the west side of the street. You can avoid the bubble by skipping the Red Line and instead taking the Orange Line to Halsted and the Halsted bus south to Puffers. If the flier is correct, Jimbo's, First Base, Shinnick's, etc. are all inside of the "bubble."

chisoxfan64
10-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Maybe a bottle of Pepsi can get me into the bubble.:rolleyes:

steff
10-21-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm looking forward to the signage at the cell that says "IM IN THE BUBBLE AND YOU'RE NOT!

LMAO.. that is funny.

chisoxfanatic
10-21-2005, 06:14 PM

Ticketfast is just the thing that emails you the ticket. You can't buy tickets via ticketfast. So, how could you PURCHASE those tickets that are being released?

Wimpy
10-21-2005, 07:25 PM
There was even a bubble after the Sox won the ALCS. After watching the game at Puffers on Sunday my girlfriend and I could not get back to the EL. 35th street was blocked off by cops right around Lot G. We had to walk through lot G to 31st then down Wentworth, back to the EL. It was complete crap. The cops were such A-HOLES too. It was unbelievable.

maurice
10-21-2005, 07:40 PM
There was even a bubble after the Sox won the ALCS. After watching the game at Puffers . . . .

There was nothing before the game, though. This is gonna be a lot tougher, because it starts 4 hours before each game and extends until 1 hour after the game.

---
:crede
"Play some ****ing Journey!"

steff
10-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Ticketfast is just the thing that emails you the ticket. You can't buy tickets via ticketfast. So, how could you PURCHASE those tickets that are being released?

Apparently there wont be any since the Sox have stated the BO will NOT be open.......

ramorgan1
10-21-2005, 08:27 PM
so even if we have tix and are parking our car there since we have tix, we can't bring an extra person? that sux.