PDA

View Full Version : Response from Sox concerning tix

Parrothead
10-20-2005, 10:43 PM
I wrote the Sox about MLB taking tix and the amount of tix available to the public and how they are getting blasted in the media...The following is thier response, which I think is great............

No matter what we did, with the limited supply (remember, this is not our event, rather MLB’s), we were going to upset fans no matter what way we sold the tickets. If we did a lottery, people would claim it was fixed in some way. The guy in the Sun Times (who never contacted me for any explanations – which would have been the responsible thing to do) even stated that the odds were the same. Further, if we sold everything we had on a first come, first served basis, more tickets would have gotten into the hands of brokers and casual (dare I say Cubs) fans. At that point, we would have been torched for not looking out for enough White Sox fans. With the demand so high, there is nothing that we could have been done that could have made everyone happy. The reality is that there are a lot of White Sox fans that do not have WS tickets.
We wanted to get the available tickets into the hands of as many Sox fans as possible. That is why we offered the season ticket program. If someone is willing to commit to full season tickets next year, this gave White Sox fans the best chance to guarantee tickets. It is not perfect as some will buy the season tickets with no intention of keeping them in 2007, but they were willing to make a commitment. Further, this allows us to continue to financially support a good product on the field next year and beyond. The same people who are swearing us up and down for not getting tickets to the WS would be complaining even more if we did not win next season. Seems silly to me that people would lose thier loyalty to the White Sox because they did not get WS tickets. There were plenty of options for White Sox fans throughout the year to get post season tickets, including the Grinder Plan that was offered as late as August. Would they be saying the same thing if they had tickets in hand? For people to say we do not care is a joke.

If I had my druthers, I would have sold the entire ballpark to the 40,000 loudest, most rabid White Sox fans. Anyone who purchased tickets in April/May when it was cold, other than Opening Day, would be in. Those are our real fans. As I stated, this is a Major League Baseball event. After taking care of our season ticket holders, MLB takes care of its radio and TV broadcast partners, the umpire’s union, all MLB players, its national sponsors, its front office, the 29 other MLB Clubs and others before we get to put tickets on public sale. Maybe after reading this they will have a better understanding of the process. I know it will not make people happy, and, believe me, I wish I could make all White Sox fans happy but it is not possible.

Soxfan35
10-20-2005, 10:46 PM
they make a good point. Any system they have people will be pissed. but personally, at least with the lottery system, people don't have to waste time sitting online at noon with 150000 other people and getting worked up.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-20-2005, 10:57 PM
If I had my druthers, I would have sold the entire ballpark to the 40,000 loudest, most rabid White Sox fans. Anyone who purchased tickets in April/May when it was cold, other than Opening Day, would be in. Those are our real fans.

Actually that's a pretty good idea. Everyone who attends a midweek Sox game in April or May when game time temperature is below 45 degrees-- and stays until the very end -- ought to be handed a voucher as they exit the ballpark redeemable for a World Series ticket should the Sox make it that far. How much would those vouchers be worth right now?

:cool:

HotelWhiteSox
10-20-2005, 11:07 PM
I was there midweek in May :D: (great win too)

But I still prefer a lottery, ticketmaster is wack, and probably has a deal with scalpers

chisoxmike
10-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Actually that's a pretty good idea. Everyone who attends a midweek Sox game in April or May when game time temperature is below 45 degrees-- and stays until the very end -- ought to be handed a voucher as they exit the ballpark redeemable for a World Series ticket should the Sox make it that far. How much would those vouchers be worth right now?

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day. Like most of us, I'm there from Opening Day through the last day of the season, theres gotta be something they could do.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-20-2005, 11:23 PM

i was at a game that was sub 40. and i didn't bring a jacket! (its always nicer in the burbs !)

CHISOXFAN13
10-20-2005, 11:27 PM

Well hell. I'd have enough vouchers to go to all four games then! :)

I like the way you think.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
I like the response - If you are at liberty to say who sent it to you (or if you rather not disclose it what dept. - ie. Marketing, Season Tickets, etc.).

I agree 100%. They called me tonight and I'm getting my tickets tomorrow but even if I didn't I wasn't mad at the team - I was mad at myself. I debating getting tickets in June and again in July and didn't and I went to many games anyway so it would have been smarter to do so in the summer but I didn't (no 2006 full season commitment) and only blame myself. Everyone else is in the same boat.

Parrothead
10-20-2005, 11:41 PM
I like the response - If you are at liberty to say who sent it to you (or if you rather not disclose it what dept. - ie. Marketing, Season Tickets, etc.).

I agree 100%. They called me tonight and I'm getting my tickets tomorrow but even if I didn't I wasn't mad at the team - I was mad at myself. I debating getting tickets in June and again in July and didn't and I went to many games anyway so it would have been smarter to do so in the summer but I didn't (no 2006 full season commitment) and only blame myself. Everyone else is in the same boat.

Marketing Dept.:rolleyes:

I love PHG's idea.....quick someone e-mail Brooks

SouthSide_HitMen
10-20-2005, 11:49 PM

I was at the Game with a few thousand die hards during the first week - A Thursday Afternoon Game (they were giving free deserts in the Club Level - I declined to keep my BMI under 25) - I picked up great club seats for $10 outside the park - and Shinjo blew the game with COUNT'EM 3 HRs in the bottom of the 9th. At the end of the game, since Ozzie burned through the bullpen we were down to a dead tired Vizcaino and Widger warming up in the bullpen.

I think I am due 2 vouchers for sitting through the entire game.

At Candlestick they used to give out a button if you sat through the entire game during a chili night (West may know the details). The Sox should institute the same thing in the cold months (which would be cool) but I think they rather downplay the first few months are cold.

Chicago
10-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Oh i wish i could bring my ticket stubs from this year and years past... Or if they could go back and hand out a voucher to me and the rest of the fans freezing our asses off every year waiting outside for the tickets to go on sale.

I'd be in for sure.

skipcover
10-21-2005, 12:51 AM
I was at the Game with a few thousand die hards during the first week - A Thursday Afternoon Game (they were giving free deserts in the Club Level - I declined to keep my BMI under 25) - I picked up great club seats for $10 outside the park - and Shinjo blew the game with COUNT'EM 3 HRs in the bottom of the 9th. At the end of the game, since Ozzie burned through the bullpen we were down to a dead tired Vizcaino and Widger warming up in the bullpen.

I think I am due 2 vouchers for sitting through the entire game.

At Candlestick they used to give out a button if you sat through the entire game during a chili night (West may know the details). The Sox should institute the same thing in the cold months (which would be cool) but I think they rather downplay the first few months are cold.
I was at that game as well, vs. the Indians (Coco Crisp, if I remember, tore us up big time that game) My friend and I sat right above the Sox bullpen. There was barely anyone at the ballpark, so I was able to talk with Widger and Garland between innings. Both had to be made available as our bullpen was completely depleted. It was truly an odd game for April!

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-21-2005, 04:57 AM

Now, THAT'S a merketing idea. Hell, where's my April/May ticket stubs??? :angry:

hose
10-21-2005, 06:00 AM
You mean a ticket stub from May......let's see.....

here we go , May 3 vs. Kansas City sec.124 row 22 seat 2

This is the game the Sox set a MLB record for consecutive games with a lead.

This stub along with the the one from Comerica Park for the clincher are going to be on display. (along with the playoff and WS stubs):bandance:

jabrch
10-21-2005, 06:19 AM
The sad truth is that this game is not a Sox game, it is an MLB game. It is done by MLB for their people. Ticket prices alone (140 for the cheap seats) price some out of the market. Many of those who can afford it are knocked out by supply and demand. It would be nice if the "Core of the Core" could go to the games. But that's just not the case. FWIW, the Superbowl is even worse. In Jacksonville, the cheap seats were going for $2000 each, and that's in a 80,000 seat stadium. I know someone who sold their 50 yard line, row 10 seats for 30,000 for the pair. That's...amazing...

But that's a free market at work. There is someone willing to pay that price sometimes.

mike squires
10-21-2005, 06:56 AM
Yeah, MLB is taking care of everything. Is is the same MLB that wouldn't let FIsk in the clubhouse?:mad:

Cat Thief
10-21-2005, 07:25 AM
If I had my druthers, I would have sold the entire ballpark to the 40,000 loudest, most rabid White Sox fans. Anyone who purchased tickets in April/May when it was cold, other than Opening Day, would be in. Those are our real fans.

I was out there in January when tickets first went on sale. My buddy and I were the first 2 in line. I believe it was 17 degrees that morning. I still have the video from Fox to prove it. After they let us in Konerko and Davis passed out doughnuts and coffee. They also signed autographs. That should get me at least 2 World Series tickets. Doesn't everybody have their stories of loyalty to the White Sox?

Truth of the matter is that freezing morning is just another great memory that I will have from this team in 2005. Shame on me for not making the financial adjustments to get in on the grinder plan.:whiner: 31 games this year, now I can't be there to celebrate when they win the whole thing. You better believe I will be outside of the park.

After reading further this morning, I guess I'll be within 2 blocks of the park.

DrummerGeorgefan
10-21-2005, 08:10 AM
Here's a proposal that I think could work and stymie all the bullhonkey about brokers and ticketmaster, and get such tickets in the hands of real fans.

Next year when you enter, you should be able to report to a ticket booth and get a credit card style counter card (Like the Chicago Card for the trains/buses). For each time you enter a game, you can get the card swiped by a ticket representative and it will keep track of how many games you attended. Come playoff time, your position for tickets would be determined by how many times you have gone through the turnstiles. I feel this is the most fair to someone like me who, although not a season ticket holder because of the unpredictablility of law school schedules and lack of funds, still went to 24 games this year.

So the pecking order for the tickets would be season ticket holders, those of us with the card in descending order, and then the general public (read brokers)

rocky biddle
10-21-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm assuming most brokers have some sort of season ticket package. How else would they be able to offer premium seats? So I guess that means the brokers would be able to produce ticket stubs from almost every game. And I'm sure they would just pay some college kids a few bucks to sit through the cold weather games as well. Bottom line, there's never gonna be a system that beats the brokers.

Ol' No. 2
10-21-2005, 12:02 PM
The sad truth is that this game is not a Sox game, it is an MLB game. It is done by MLB for their people. Ticket prices alone (140 for the cheap seats) price some out of the market. Many of those who can afford it are knocked out by supply and demand. It would be nice if the "Core of the Core" could go to the games. But that's just not the case. FWIW, the Superbowl is even worse. In Jacksonville, the cheap seats were going for $2000 each, and that's in a 80,000 seat stadium. I know someone who sold their 50 yard line, row 10 seats for 30,000 for the pair. That's...amazing...

But that's a free market at work. There is someone willing to pay that price sometimes.Could be worse. I was talking with a friend from NY whose brother used to have Yankees season tickets in the lower boxes. For the WS MLB took all the lower boxes, but graciously allowed him to buy tickets in the UD. At least season ticket holders here got to keep their regular seats.

itsnotrequired
10-21-2005, 12:03 PM
i was at a game that was sub 40. and i didn't bring a jacket! (its always nicer in the burbs !)

I was at the Monday, May 16 game against the Rangers. It was 50 degrees and windy at the start of the game (we were also in the upper deck). It had to be in the low 40s by the end. All I had was a flimsy windbreaker. My buddy and I had a couple coffees to keep warm but they didn't really work. We said "the hell with it" and drank as many beers as we could to fight off the cold!:D:

Oh yeah, that was the game where AJ hit a grand slam in the first inning. Alas, the Sox lost...:(:

SoxFan76
10-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Every member of WSI should get first dibs on playoff/World Series tickets. After all, WSI is home to the craziest and most passionate Sox fans around.

scottjanssens
10-21-2005, 12:32 PM
At least season ticket holders here got to keep their regular seats.

Depends where they were. If your seats were behind the plate you got moved. Some LD season ticket holders were moved to the UD for the playoffs. Probably into my seats.

The Wimperoo
10-21-2005, 12:34 PM
I was at the Monday, May 16 game against the Rangers. It was 50 degrees and windy at the start of the game (we were also in the upper deck). It had to be in the low 40s by the end. All I had was a flimsy windbreaker. My buddy and I had a couple coffees to keep warm but they didn't really work. We said "the hell with it" and drank as many beers as we could to fight off the cold!:D:

Oh yeah, that was the game where AJ hit a grand slam in the first inning. Alas, the Sox lost...:(:

I was at that game too, it was freezing. Plus Marte sucked and gave up the GW HR to Mench.

MillerSoxFan
10-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Sunday May 1st I took 2 ten year old girls and we sat in the top row of the UD, froze our butts off and saw Jon Garland pitch a gem. Best game I was at all year, except for maybe the last home game of the season.
I could never afford season tickets, I did swing tickets for game 1 of the ALCS, I might still dip into savings for WS game 6. It's too bad the WS is a MLB event, I am just grateful to the Sox for Kids' Day and Fundamentals and a great atmosphere. It is still possible to do Sox games on the cheap - thank God we're not flubs fans!
:wink:

dcb33
10-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Sunday May 1st I took 2 ten year old girls and we sat in the top row of the UD, froze our butts off and saw Jon Garland pitch a gem. Best game I was at all year, except for maybe the last home game of the season.
I could never afford season tickets, I did swing tickets for game 1 of the ALCS, I might still dip into savings for WS game 6. It's too bad the WS is a MLB event, I am just grateful to the Sox for Kids' Day and Fundamentals and a great atmosphere. It is still possible to do Sox games on the cheap - thank God we're not flubs fans!
:wink:

Oh man, I was there the night before on Motown Night and absolutely froze! Our seats were out in 103 and the wind was just brutal! The game was pretty brutal, too, until the bottom of the 7th when the Sox scored 3 runs to take a 4-3 lead, which ended up being the final score. That victory was Ozzie's 100th as a manager.

Blob
10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Here is a picture of Zach23 and me from 5-1-2004. This was in the Daily Southtown. You can't see our winter jackets under our ponchos.

Cold, rainy, won't keep us from a game. We sat there for two plus hours and the game was cancelled. We were the only people in our seats in the bleachers.

I have no idea how to make the file smaller so I uploaded it to yousend it.com. Here is the link:

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=276RT6U474GV32DY0S07P0V20G

BeefyD
10-21-2005, 02:18 PM
That's like last year, when we were at a game against Seattle. 3 rain delays. It was 11:30 in the 7th inning. Other than a few people in the front row, we (me, my brother and a buddy) each had an outfield section to ourselves.

Thankfully, Carlos Lee hit one right where I was and there was no fight whatsoever for the ball.

mweflen
10-21-2005, 02:22 PM
I ended up getting tix for Games 1 and 7 because my dad's season upgrade went through at the last possible second. So I'm happy.

But I agree wholeheartedly that something ought to be done to better reward the "die hards." I definitely consider myself one (April 6, 17, 18, 19; May 1,3,12 = average temp 40 degrees), and had I not lucked out, I would be extremely bitter (come to think of it, I WAS extremely bitter, oh, about 4 hours ago).

It is just not fair to the fans who support a franchise with their heart, soul, pocketbook, and frozen extremities, that in addition to MLB basically hoarding all the tickets and giving them to people who could give a rat's patootie about the Sox, that then the only avenue for purchasing tickets is TicketBastard, which actually makes it easier for out-of-towners to buy tix than Chicago residents (because of capacity, phone lines, etc.)

Perhaps a voucher could be distributed which gives the 'die-hard' fan (which I would be happy to define as April and May attendees) a place in the ticket lottery, which all reasonable and rational teams had for their WS tickets. This way, they get a tiny leg up on the competition, into the only fair way to distribute chances to purchase among actual chicago residents.

The Dude
10-21-2005, 02:52 PM

Wouldnt that be nice? I went to 12 games in April/May so I think I'd qualify!:redneck

Soxfanspcu11
10-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Here's a proposal that I think could work and stymie all the bullhonkey about brokers and ticketmaster, and get such tickets in the hands of real fans.

Next year when you enter, you should be able to report to a ticket booth and get a credit card style counter card (Like the Chicago Card for the trains/buses). For each time you enter a game, you can get the card swiped by a ticket representative and it will keep track of how many games you attended. Come playoff time, your position for tickets would be determined by how many times you have gone through the turnstiles. I feel this is the most fair to someone like me who, although not a season ticket holder because of the unpredictablility of law school schedules and lack of funds, still went to 24 games this year.

So the pecking order for the tickets would be season ticket holders, those of us with the card in descending order, and then the general public (read brokers)

Brilliant! Simply brilliant! Seriously, email that proposal to them, I'm in the same position as you in regards to not being able to buy season tickets. My first game was the May 1st UNBELIEVABLY COLD game vs Detroit and a great 8-0 sox win and then over the course of the season I went to 44 games, including all home playoff games. Seriously, email that to them.

JohnBasedowYoda
10-21-2005, 06:12 PM

it was one of the only times where i think the beer was getting colder, not warmer, as the game went on

UofCSoxFan
10-21-2005, 06:28 PM
That nothing....I went to the Bears Texans game last year in December....kickoff was minus 15 with the windchill (4th coldest game in soldier field history). My beer FROZE. Literally.

Realist
10-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Here is a picture of Zach23 and me from 5-1-2004. This was in the Daily Southtown. You can't see our winter jackets under our ponchos.

Cold, rainy, won't keep us from a game. We sat there for two plus hours and the game was cancelled. We were the only people in our seats in the bleachers.

I have no idea how to make the file smaller so I uploaded it to yousend it.com. Here is the link:

http://s24.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=276RT6U474GV32DY0S07P0V20G

:o: You guys should have been given free scout seats for the World Series and thrown out the first pitch of Game 1 based on that picture alone.

kevingrt
10-21-2005, 07:11 PM
That's very, very intense.

zach23
10-25-2005, 06:39 AM
:o: You guys should have been given free scout seats for the World Series and thrown out the first pitch of Game 1 based on that picture alone.

I wish I could get a wallet size of that picture to have on hand for anyone who tries to say I just jumped on the bandwagon.

firejauron
10-25-2005, 07:29 AM
Does anyone know the exact amount of tickets MLB used for the WS?

kaufsox
10-25-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm assuming most brokers have some sort of season ticket package. How else would they be able to offer premium seats? So I guess that means the brokers would be able to produce ticket stubs from almost every game. And I'm sure they would just pay some college kids a few bucks to sit through the cold weather games as well. Bottom line, there's never gonna be a system that beats the brokers.

that is just the tip of the iceberg. Brokers also set up relationships with season ticket holders to get their unused tickets. I can't remember where I read the article (NYT I think) but it detailed how brokers get their seats and it was amazing in a very disheartening kind of way. At least the Sox don't scalp their own tickets.

wdelaney72
10-25-2005, 08:30 AM
I thought the Sox handled this in the best, most realistic way that they could have.

ewokpelts
10-25-2005, 10:54 AM
I thought the Sox handled this in the best, most realistic way that they could have.
i agreee...in a way, making people buy season tix was like paying a scalper's price, but you still got 85 games instead of just one game....my brother spent $1216 per person for 4 WS games, and 81 games each in the UDR. The average scalper's price for his seats(he got club for ws) was 1200-2k(depending on your location).

Sox have more tickets sold for 06. My brother's got ws tix. all good? not if you're a broker(since people taking the sox up on thier offer didnt bother with brokers at all.)

In my opinion, the sox DID help regular fans get in.
Gene