PDA

View Full Version : News Talk radio Comment in Houston

Killer-Beees
10-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I may get hammered for this, but one has to think about it somewhat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comment made on local news talk here in H-Town:

Houston will receive a gift from God in the form of a WS title due to the city wide effort in helping so much with the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

I'll buy into that.

elrod
10-20-2005, 09:39 PM

Houston will receive a gift from God in the form of a WS title due to the city wide effort in helping so much with the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

I'll buy into that.

Sorry, but fans of the Northside team here in Chicago have been seeking divine intervention for decades. If the Astros win, it will because they had better pitching, defense and clutch hitting, not because God willed it. But I won't stand in the way of another man's beliefs...

TomBradley72
10-20-2005, 09:40 PM

I'll buy into that.

Hopefully God has a better reward system than professional sports championships.

He gone
10-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Jon Kruk, Harold Reynolds and Steve Phillips all picked us to win.

If they say we are going to win then it must be true.

Oh my god, we're doomed :whiner:

Nellie_Fox
10-20-2005, 09:44 PM
I honestly figured that someone would eventually come up with the idea that Houston "deserved" to win more because of Katrina.

hose
10-20-2005, 09:48 PM
I think WSI's own Cheeses pray during a Sox game chat has been the difference in the Sox advancing to the WS.:bandance:

chisoxmike
10-20-2005, 09:59 PM

I'll buy into that.

:bs:

rocky biddle
10-20-2005, 10:00 PM
I'd like to think that if there is a Supreme Being, He has something more important to worry about than professional sports. Besides, I'm sure plenty of Sox fans gave money to the Katrina relief efforts and quite a few Chicagoans traveled to the Gulf Coast to lend a hand. Also, some evacuees from New Orleans are currently living in Tinley Park, a Chicago suburb. So that should even things out a little. My question is, if God is so interested in rewarding Houston for it's goodwill, why do the Texans suck?

Killer-Beees
10-20-2005, 10:02 PM
My question is, if God is so interested in rewarding Houston for it's goodwill, why do the Texans suck?

Because we have no offensive line....hehehe I'm currently looking for one on eBay, but to no avail

DenverSock
10-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Jon Kruk, Harold Reynolds and Steve Phillips all picked us to win.

If they say we are going to win then it must be true.

Oh my god, we're doomed :whiner:

I wish I'd have posted that.

SoxFan76
10-20-2005, 10:07 PM

I'll buy into that.

That's very Cub-like.

It's already been said, but it can't be stressed enough. The team that pitches better, the team that plays better defense, the team that gets the timely hitting, that team will win the World Series.

Welcome to the mind of a Sox fan. That's how we do things around here.

PeteWard
10-20-2005, 10:30 PM
How are the Texans and Cougars doing this year, God?

Dan1972
10-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Reminds me of some comedian who had a bit about athletes praising God when they win, but not when they lose.

"It was going great...until Jesus made me fumble."

slavko
10-20-2005, 10:57 PM
It's all bushwa and I posted this before in another thread, but if Rita, not Katrina had gone straight north as predicted after making landfall instead of turning to the northeast, it would have been cloudy that Sunday in Kansas City when Sizemore lost the fly ball in the sun and turned the Indians season around.

So God is on our side. Get yourself another God, Houston.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-20-2005, 11:11 PM
I seem to remember Yankee fans in 2001 thinking they deserved to win the World Series because of 9/11. Diamondback Mark Grace's response? "The last time I checked, Arizona was part of the United States too."

TDog
10-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Reminds me of some comedian who had a bit about athletes praising God when they win, but not when they lose.

"It was going great...until Jesus made me fumble."

I believe there was an old National Lampoon Radio bit long ago (the program finished its run before Saturday Live debuted during the 1975 World Series) that begins with an football player player saying "Jesus was with me today" followed by an interviewer talking with John Belushi, I think, talking about Jesus deserting his team. The premise probably goes farther back than that.

Really, if a supreme being cared about baseball, the Yankees wouldn't have all those championships.

DenverSock
10-20-2005, 11:58 PM
Really, if a supreme being cared about baseball, the Yankees wouldn't have all those championships.

Unless, of course, he is a Yankee fan. :tongue::tongue:

HotelWhiteSox
10-21-2005, 12:13 AM
We've got Duhon in the city, though

http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/duhon_050922.jpg