PDA

View Full Version : WS umpires announced

hose
10-20-2005, 08:03 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051020&content_id=1255936&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

2005 World Series Umpire Assignments Game OneUmpirePrevious WS WorkedM.L. Service TimeHPJoe West*2 (1993, 1997)28 Years1BJeff NelsonNone8 Years2BJerry LayneNone17 Years3BDerryl Cousins2 (1988, 1999)27 YearsLFGary CederstromNone12 YearsRFAngel Hernandez1 (2002)13 Years

The good news is Hunter Wendelstedt isn't umping , the bad news is Eddings isn't either.:rolleyes:

TornLabrum
10-20-2005, 08:10 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051020&content_id=1255936&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

2005 World Series Umpire Assignments Game OneUmpirePrevious WS WorkedM.L. Service TimeHPJoe West*2 (1993, 1997)28 Years1BJeff NelsonNone8 Years2BJerry LayneNone17 Years3BDerryl Cousins2 (1988, 1999)27 YearsLFGary CederstromNone12 YearsRFAngel Hernandez1 (2002)13 Years

The good news is Hunter Wendelstedt isn't umping , the bad news is Eddings isn't either.:rolleyes:

Hernandez is probably the worst of the lot. I've seen him make a lot of blatantly bad calls over the years.

MarySwiss
10-20-2005, 08:11 PM

This seems okay. I've only heard of two of these guys, West and Cousins, and that's probably due more to longevity than anything else. At least I don't remember anything controversial.

Kogs35
10-20-2005, 08:32 PM
i saw a ap artical that had diff ump announced way after mlb put out the press release too funny. hopefully Angel "im the man of the hour" hernandez doesnt reach home plate during the series

NardiWasHere
10-20-2005, 08:45 PM
:hawk
Angel Hernandez, are you nuts??

SABRSox
10-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Hernandez is probably the worst of the lot. I've seen him make a lot of blatantly bad calls over the years.

Completely agree. He's on that short list of umpires I don't like. Wendelstedt is on the top of that list...

eastchicagosoxfan
10-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Does anyone have info, or a link, to the strike zones these guys have, and how does it compare to the league averages? Do any of these guys squeeze the pitchers? Do they let a pitcher throw inside?

F1RaceFan
10-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Is Angel Hernandez the ump that Mongo McMichael called out during the 7th inning stretch at a Cubs game a few years ago?

Ol' No. 2
10-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Is Angel Hernandez the ump that Mongo McMichael called out during the 7th inning stretch at a Cubs game a few years ago?The very same.

Soxzilla
10-20-2005, 10:27 PM

He also 'dorped' the ball on a few calls in the series the Astros just played in.

Regardless, UMPIRES, are not going to decide the outcome of this series. Just like they didn't decide the outcome of the last one we just played in.

rightsox
10-20-2005, 10:31 PM
Is Angel Hernandez the ump that Mongo McMichael called out during the 7th inning stretch at a Cubs game a few years ago?

That was hilarious. I didn't know they could toss guests until I saw that.

Can the umpires eject a fan even if the stadium security crew didn't already decide to kick them out?

Brian26
10-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Well, at least there is no:

Wenndlestedt.
Froeming.
Bryan Gorman.

Shoeless Joe
10-20-2005, 10:45 PM
That was hilarious. I didn't know they could do that until I saw that.

Can the umpires eject a fan even if the stadium security crew didn't already decide to kick them out?

No doubt, that was one of the funniest moments in baseball history.

Mongo: "Don't worry about that call at the plate. Mongo will talk to the ump after the game!" (obviously inebriated)

Drunk crowd cheers

Angel Hernandez: (Takes off his mask and puts his hands on his hips...finally in a rage does the old your-outta-here gesture)

Steve McMicheal still sings a horrible rendition Take Me Out To The Ball Game

Anyways, if MLB wants to have any integrity left for their umpires, they won't let Hernandez even come close to home plate.

slavko
10-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Drunk ex-Bears in the broadcast booth at the shrine. It sounds like a recipe for fun.

DSpivack
10-21-2005, 12:50 AM
Did McMichael get the nickname from the Blazing Saddles character?

MUsoxfan
10-21-2005, 02:16 AM
How surprising that a crew featuring Froemming and Wendelstedt isn't deserving of playoff consideration

ClaudelSleptHere
10-21-2005, 04:37 AM
Hernandez is scheduled to work the plate in game eight

Banix12
10-21-2005, 05:03 AM
No doubt, that was one of the funniest moments in baseball history.

Mongo: "Don't worry about that call at the plate. Mongo will talk to the ump after the game!" (obviously inebriated)

Drunk crowd cheers

Angel Hernandez: (Takes off his mask and puts his hands on his hips...finally in a rage does the old your-outta-here gesture)

Steve McMicheal still sings a horrible rendition Take Me Out To The Ball Game

Anyways, if MLB wants to have any integrity left for their umpires, they won't let Hernandez even come close to home plate.

You make Mongo sound far more elequent than what actually happened. If I recall, the exact quote from that night was...

Mongo (fat, drunk, and in his most menacing voice): "Don't worry folks, me and that home plate umpire are gonna have some speaks after the game"

I remember it well because I never ever heard anybody use the word speaks in that way.

Konerkoholic
10-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Angel Hernandez is the worst umpire in baseball. Every game in which I've ever seen him umpiring, there have been both managers arguing with his calls. He sucks.

scottjanssens
10-21-2005, 11:09 AM

Yes. An umpire can tell security to toss a fan. I've only seen it happen once.

When I umped little league I technically had the authority to eject spectators (especially if they had alcohol or other substances, although that never happened). There were several mothers I would have liked to have tossed, but I doubt I could have actually have gotten them to leave. One mother came onto the field to argue a call. Ah, good times.

billyvsox
10-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Joe West is nuts, but usually for both sides and i'll bet he likes Ozzie, so I think this is good news.

Angel Hernandez, on the hand, is clearly the worst umpire in the league, he is a joke, every game he does there are issues and he is a hothead and starts confrontations and has a quick hook.

I am stunned he would be get the World Series (let alone still umping in the bigs), but I guess with Bud Selig it dosen't suprise me so much.

F1RaceFan
10-21-2005, 09:37 PM

When I umped little league I technically had the authority to eject spectators (especially if they had alcohol or other substances, although that never happened). There were several mothers I would have liked to have tossed, but I doubt I could have actually have gotten them to leave. One mother came onto the field to argue a call. Ah, good times.

I know what you mean. While I was working the plate for my 11 year olds team, the cather missed a pitch, the ball found its way over chest protector and hit me in the chest. I heard a women yell from the stands, "good job Billy, do it again." Now I know why we read about so many problems at youth sporting events.

longshot7
10-21-2005, 09:45 PM
maybe we'll luck out and Hernandez will only work the outfield. We want this series decided by the players, not the umps....

PAPChiSox729
10-22-2005, 12:51 AM
maybe we'll luck out and Hernandez will only work the outfield. We want this series decided by the players, not the umps....

It is going to have to be a very, very poor series if it is determined by the umps.

Soxfanspcu11
10-22-2005, 01:39 AM

It happened in Detroit just this year. Probably about a month or so ago. Some fans sitting near the dugout and were all over the umps calls and the ump walked over, told security and ejected them!