PDA

View Full Version : Sox vaguely announce unusual security measures

maurice
10-20-2005, 07:04 PM
It's really unclear what they plan to do exactly. Seems that they're figuring it out as they go:
The police department is good at handling security for recent big events, [CPD Supt. Phil] Cline said, but "due to historical circumstances beyond our control, we are complete strangers to preparing for a World Series."
Hopefully, they keep it reasonable.

Trib (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-051020soxsecurity,1,6253910.story?coll=chi-news-hed)
AP (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2198994)

Warning: the AP story includes a completely irrelevant reference to the Gamboa incident.

downstairs
10-20-2005, 07:05 PM
As with anything.... don't do stupid stuff, and you won't get in trouble...

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Doesn't seem like anything unusual for a big event like this. As for the AP's article, I doubt anyone like the Gamboa's will be able to get tickets to the event.

DrFunk
10-20-2005, 07:09 PM
It's only unusual because we rarely have a World Series in Chicago. :smile:

Hopefully, these security measures become the norm on the south side for years to come.

maurice
10-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Right. As Cline's joke implied, a Chicago baseball park has never seen anything like the proposed "security bubble." (Heck, as far as I know, the UC and Soldier Field have never seen anything like it either.) The area around the Urinal was a madhouse in 2003, but had no comparable "bubble." In that sense, it's very, very unusual. This thread is intended as a heads up for anybody going to the game . . . or even going near the park.

What's remains particularly unclear is the extent of the "checking," especially for people who are not attempting to enter the stadium. This appears to be a work in progress. That's significant because the "bubble" includes many people's homes. Heck, it may include my home.

ewokpelts
10-20-2005, 07:21 PM
It's really unclear what they plan to do exactly. Seems that they're figuring it out as they go:

Hopefully, they keep it reasonable.

Trib (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-051020soxsecurity,1,6253910.story?coll=chi-news-hed)
AP (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/news/story?id=2198994)

Warning: the AP story includes a completely irrelevant reference to the Gamboa incident.
i think he was joking...
Gene

downstairs
10-20-2005, 07:24 PM
I take it the cops will understand the whole printed TicketFast thing?

fquaye149
10-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Doesn't seem like anything unusual for a big event like this. As for the AP's article, I doubt anyone like the Gamboa's will be able to get tickets to the event.

Tom Gamboa was the first base coach for the Royals who got jumped BY the Ligue father and son

MrRoboto83
10-20-2005, 08:11 PM
I bet there is All Star game 2003 security, they will be searching people more.

Norberto7
10-20-2005, 08:25 PM

True, I've heard managing the Arkansas Travelers isn't the highest paying job around... :D:

DrummerGeorgefan
10-20-2005, 08:35 PM
Why do the cops have to worry...none of us real fans got tickets anyway, so unless corporate hacks are overserved, the park should be tame...

still angry with ticketmaster and mlb for gobbling up those tickets:angry:

NardiWasHere
10-20-2005, 08:43 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rolling:

Soxfan35
10-20-2005, 10:12 PM
so should I be worried on saturday about trying to goto the park and find a ticket? i'm assumming this is more about curbing potential terrorist or white trash attacks but do you guys think they will actually go after people looking to score a ticket?

Jerome
10-20-2005, 11:19 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/2010AP_BBO_World_Series_Security.html
(http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseball/2010AP_BBO_World_Series_Security.html)

Sorry about the link, but does anyone know anything about the security measures for the games? How far will this 'bubble' be going around the park? Personally I think it sucks that we can't have fans around the park like the flubs had in 03. I'm not sure of the details though, so I will hold any complaints until I know the facts.

chisoxmike
10-20-2005, 11:29 PM
so should I be worried on saturday about trying to goto the park and find a ticket? i'm assumming this is more about curbing potential terrorist or white trash attacks but do you guys think they will actually go after people looking to score a ticket?
I heard they are going to check everyone to see if they have a ticket. If you don't they'll put you out of the bubble, or something like that.

I call BS. Part of the fun is just being around the park for a world series. Sorry I couldn't get through the ticketbastered lines and site and can't afford $5,000 for a ticket through a broker.

soxwon
10-20-2005, 11:35 PM
The news said- you can't get within two blocks of the cell without a ticket.

Its also a no fly zone- in case some goofy terrorists get ideas.

Jerome
10-21-2005, 12:25 AM
wow this is disappointing

I was looking forward to just being around the park, taking in that world series atmosphere. Sorry on my meager high-school student job I can't afford season tickets / broker tickets, nor can I sit on the computer all day trying to get lucky with ticketmaster.

milrtyme28
10-21-2005, 04:11 AM
welcome to the brave new world. have any of you ever read the sum of all fears by tom clancy? thats the reason for the bubble. as much as that kills the atmosphere, we all need to understand the kind of world we live in and this is an unprecendented event, the likes of which we've never seen in our lifetime on the southside.

the world series is a symbol too. an international event. next to F1, the olympics, and the world cup it is very important on the world stage.

baseball is our national pastime. a symbol. and 40000+ americans will be in one concentrated place on those evenings. security is very important.

I would love to have the full party atmoshpere but its not that innocent anymore. There would be no bubble if there didnt need to be one. The bubble may prevent scalpers, but that is not the primary goal here guys.

milrtyme28
10-21-2005, 04:12 AM
the fbi and secret service do not establish a perimeter if all there is to worry about is scalpers.

Iguana775
10-21-2005, 08:18 AM
They should just put snipers on the roof and anyone that runs on the field is taken out. ;)

Daver, wanna volunteer? :cool:

maurice
10-21-2005, 01:38 PM
The press conference indicated that the "bubble" would be 33rd to 37th and LaSalle to Normal. That's pretty reasonable. OTOH, neighborhood residents got a flier from Cline indicating that the bubble actually is 31st to Pershing and Wells to Halsted. The flier also says that no non-ticketholders/residents will be allowed in this massive area beginning 4 hours before the game starts: "If friends or family are coming to visit on game days, make sure they know to come before or after restricted hours."

The restrictions announced in the flier would be completely ridiculous (and certainly illegal), since they have no bearing on security. According to the flier, a bomb-ladden terrorist could walk right up to the park from the east during the game, but a resident's mother would be prevented from meeting them for dinner at their house at 3105 S. Emerald (about a mile from the park) at 4:00 p.m. Of greater interest to people on this site, it also would prevent any non-ticketholders/residents from going to Jimbo's, First Base, Shinnick's, etc. unless they already were in the building more than 4 hours before the game starts. Alderman Balcer's comments seem to indicate that this is more about keeping the riff-raff out of the neighborhood than national security. As PH13 implied, it's not going to prevent the Ligues of the world from running on the field, since ticket prices already accomplished that feat.

maurice
10-21-2005, 01:38 PM
The flier says to call 311 with questions. The 311 operator indicated that the info. she has matches the info. at the press conference and that she never heard of the info. on the flier (which also is posted as various spots along 35th St.)

maurice
10-21-2005, 01:42 PM
i think he was joking.

Read my post immediately before yours. I acknowledged that he was joking and quoted it because it was pretty funny.