View Full Version : Ceremonial 1st Pitch Throwers for Games 1 and 2 Known

HotelWhiteSox
10-20-2005, 03:06 PM
According to ESPNEWS:

Luis Aparicio - Game 1
Bo Jackson - Game 2

ajtokarz
10-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Josh Groban is singing the Anthem for Game 1 and I think it's Lou Rawls for Game 2.

Chez
10-20-2005, 03:12 PM
I know he already threw out the first pitch for the ALDS, but I'd love to see Frank throw out a first pitch during the World Series. He deserves it and the crowd would love it. Hawk would also be a stellar choice.

Clembasbal
10-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Josh Groban is singing the Anthem for Game 1 and I think it's Lou Rawls for Game 2.

Oh man, my mom is going to be excited about that one (Groban). She'll be there (I'll be at my wife's birthday party:(: )

PorkChopExpress
10-20-2005, 03:44 PM
I know he already threw out the first pitch for the ALDS, but I'd love to see Frank throw out a first pitch during the World Series. He deserves it and the crowd would love it. Hawk would also be a stellar choice.

If Frank's not going to throw a pitch out, it would be cool to see him catch the pitch from Bo.

Craig Grebeck
10-20-2005, 03:48 PM
BO!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love it!

tebman
10-20-2005, 03:51 PM
He's a good singer, but I don't understand the connection to the game. Does he have some kind of White Sox or Chicago significance?

I would think they'd be looking for local performers to do that. Lou Rawls is from Chicago, but is Groban?

mattcoz
10-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Bo? :?:

soxfanreggie
10-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Bo knows baseball?

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 04:02 PM
I am also a little confused by Bo. I know that he is still connected to the organization and I love the guy, but...

I guess everyone knows Bo.

Johnny Mostil
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I would think they'd be looking for local performers to do that. Lou Rawls is from Chicago, but is Groban?

Groban is from L.A. It has me scratching my head a little, though the whitesox.com release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051020&content_id=1255777&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) says "Chicago's own . . . Liz Phair" will sing 'God Bless America' during the 7th inning stretch. Eh, whatever.

I don't understand the choice of Bo Jackson . . .

Johnny Mostil
10-20-2005, 04:07 PM
I am also a little confused by Bo. I know that he is still connected to the organization and I love the guy, but...

I know this isn't a fair judgment, but, to me, it would almost be like having Eddie Gaedel throw out the first pitch for a Browns (or, later, Orioles) game . . .

StrTrkker
10-20-2005, 04:12 PM

I think MLB has the final word on who throws out the 1st pitch. The Sox submits a list on who they want and MLB makes the choice.

I would have rather have seen Nancy or Hawk throw out the 1st pitch for game 2.

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 04:16 PM
Groban is from L.A. It has me scratching my head a little, though the whitesox.com release (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051020&content_id=1255777&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051020&content_id=1255777&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws%29) says "Chicago's own . . . Liz Phair" will sing 'God Bless America' during the 7th inning stretch. Eh, whatever.

Whatever to Liz Phair?!?!?!? Are you ****ing kidding me? That woman is ****ing awesome and it is my understanding that she is a genuine Sox fan to boot.

tebman
10-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Whatever to Liz Phair?!?!?!? Are you ****ing kidding me? That woman is ****ing awesome and it is my understanding that she is a genuine Sox fan to boot.
That's why I don't understand the Josh Groban selection. Maybe he's got some deal with the Fox network that they want to plug. Lou Rawls and Liz Phair are local, but Josh Groban?

anewman35
10-20-2005, 04:20 PM

Correction. Liz Phair WAS ****ing awesome. Then she decided that being popular was better than being good.

My Liz Phair/Sox story: Waiting in line for photo day a few years ago was the first time I ever heard the first single off her self titled album. It made me sad.

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Correction. Liz Phair WAS ****ing awesome. Then she decided that being popular was better than being good.

My Liz Phair/Sox story: Waiting in line for photo day a few years ago was the first time I ever heard the first single off her self titled album. It made me sad.

IMO, she was and still is. Every musician evolves and many long time fans think thier favorite musicians lose their "edge". While this may be true, I think it is a growing up process as I have seen many of my beloved local talent go soft.

She is a talent. I don't think she sold out and I still like her music. I like her older stuff more than the newer stuff, but I still like it.

Johnny Mostil
10-20-2005, 04:26 PM

Whoa, PH13. I meant no musical commentary whatsoever. And I apologize for any inadvertent inference that I have the slightest competency to judge contemporary vocalists. I most certainly don't. I just meant the vocalist issue didn't interest me as much as the ceremonial first pitch issue (not that I obsess over that, either). OK?

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Whoa, PH13. I meant no musical commentary whatsoever. And I apologize for any inadvertent inference that I have the slightest competency to judge contemporary vocalists. I most certainly don't. I just meant the vocalist issue didn't interest me as much as the ceremonial first pitch issue (not that I obsess over that, either). OK?

Cool. I'm just a big Liz Phair fan and was happy to see her participate, especially since she is a Sox fan.

SOXPHILE
10-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Ummmm.....I made the mistake of listening to Murph for about 40 minutes today. Before turning him off at about 1:30, I heard him say in that great high pitched "something's caught in my throat" voice of his that MLB has a say in who throws out the first pitch. I guess the Sox submit a big list of names, and MLB chooses ? Something to do with a broader recognition nation wide, not just a local hero, like Minnoso. I don't know if it's true or not, and you have to consider the source.

Also, sorry for asking this, but, who is Josh Grobin ? I'm under 40, listen to all kinds of rock/pop from the 50's up to today, and I've never hear of him. Is he one of those "winners" from one of those talent shows on Fox ? Once again, please excuse my ignorance. Guess I'm not as hip as I thought I was !

tebman
10-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Also, sorry for asking this, but, who is Josh Grobin ? I'm under 40, listen to all kinds of rock/pop from the 50's up to today, and I've never hear of him. Is he one of those "winners" from one of those talent shows on Fox ? Once again, please excuse my ignorance. Guess I'm not as hip as I thought I was !
I think this rests my case -- why is Josh Groban singing at Game 1? I've heard of him, but I don't know of any connection to Chicago or to the Sox.

I'm glad this is all we have to worry about in October! :tongue:

Johnny Mostil
10-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Cool. I'm just a big Liz Phair fan and was happy to see her participate, especially since she is a Sox fan.

Well, I am glad to see a local, and especially a Sox fan, vocalist connection, but I doubt I'd recognize Liz Phair if she sang 'God Bless America' in my office.

I do know (of) Lou Rawls (only because he's been around longer), and am glad to see him invited as well . . .

PorkChopExpress
10-20-2005, 04:43 PM

He's a young guy, in his twenties, that sings opera-esque music (I don't know what that type of music is called) and covers some modern songs that way. He had a guest role on "Ally McBeal" a few years back (was that FOX?). He has a good voice and will do a fine job, he just has no connection that I know of to either team.

Chez
10-20-2005, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=anewman35]Correction. Liz Phair WAS ****ing awesome. Then she decided that being popular was better than being good.

She made three great albums then decided to cash in and sell out. Sad.

SOXFAN_in_WI
10-20-2005, 06:30 PM
What about Mayor Daly to throw out the first pitch? He is quite well known, even nationally and he has had undyeing support of his SOX. And any word on game 6 or 7, if we need it? And please let Big Frank have something to do with this series. God, I wish they could give him some cortozone shots or prop his big ole butt up there to take just one AB!!!

downstairs
10-20-2005, 07:30 PM
What about Mayor Daly to throw out the first pitch? He is quite well known, even nationally and he has had undyeing support of his SOX. And any word on game 6 or 7, if we need it? And please let Big Frank have something to do with this series. God, I wish they could give him some cortozone shots or prop his big ole butt up there to take just one AB!!!

Its all up to Fox. Period and end of sentence.

Something tells me Fox and Daley.... hmmmm... ain't gonna happen.

Of course Fox wants a Chicago connection just like anyone else does... but their decisions aren't going to be exactly what you'd expect if the decision were completely local.

Killer-Beees
10-20-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm really hoping that one of the first pitches thrown here is Nolan Ryan. Don't see how he couldn't be one of them that are considered.

downstairs
10-20-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm really hoping that one of the first pitches thrown here is Nolan Ryan. Don't see how he couldn't be one of them.

It would be great if he threw a 95 MPH heater right down the middle... the catcher wouldn't even know its coming...

:cool:

Killer-Beees
10-20-2005, 07:44 PM
It would be great if he threw a 95 MPH heater right down the middle... the catcher wouldn't even know its coming...

He threw one out in the NLCS and it was not lame by any means. :D:

lumpyspun
10-20-2005, 07:56 PM
I agree with most of the other people on here about Liz Phair...she made 3 killer albums and then decided to become the second coming of Shery Crow.

If she is a Sox fan that is cool though, but I'm confused. I have seen MANY posts on this site in the past about "famous" Sox fans...she was NEVER mentioned by anyone.

rocky biddle
10-20-2005, 09:42 PM
I would like to see the entire '59 team (at least those that can make it) on the field while Luis Aparicio throws out the first pitch at Game 1. There's been so much talk about the 46 years since the Sox were last in the WS. I think it would be a nice touch if they acknowledged the whole team on baseball's biggest stage.

As for Game 2, count me as another that doesn't understand the choice of Bo Jackson. Maybe Carlton Fisk was busy that day. He would be my choice. Actually, I really wish John Rooney would've gotten the call. I know he doesn't meet the 'national celebrity' criteria, but he means a lot to the White Sox fans and organization. Not to mention it's his last year with the team and it would be great recognition for everything he's done over the years.

I really hope if it goes to Game 7 they have the presence of mind to let Big Frank throw out the first pitch. Just thinking about him walking out to the mound is giving me goosebumps. The place would explode and never stop rocking. That being said, I hope this scenario never happens because our boys get the job done in Houston. Frank can raise the World Championship banner on April 3rd, 2006.

LongLiveFisk
10-20-2005, 10:46 PM
I'm really hoping that one of the first pitches thrown here is Nolan Ryan. Don't see how he couldn't be one of them that are considered.

It has to be Nolan. If not, who else? (And that's not a shot at the Astros organization-it's a serious question.)

Killer-Beees
10-20-2005, 10:50 PM
It has to be Nolan. If not, who else? (And that's not a shot at the Astros organization-it's a serious question.)

IMHO The Ryan Express has to be one of them. Another mentioned around here was Earl Campbell, which would be great as well.

gobears1987
10-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Robin Ventura has to come out and catch the 1st pitch!!!

BeviBall!
10-20-2005, 10:53 PM
IMHO The Ryan Express has to be one of them. Another mentioned around here was Earl Campbell, which would be great as well.

Can Earl even stand by himself anymore?

Dillinger25
10-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Good to see the ole' Sox players tossing out the first ball. If I were making the choice I would take the last Championship team from the city of Chicago, Da entire 85' Bears team. Coach Ditka would be all sauced up and yelling at some Houston playeres before he even got to the mound. If not then the Mr. Mayor Daley has to be given the nod for not turning into a Bi-sox-ual and cheer for both baseball teams in Chicago.

12-3 in Attendance.:yup: White Sox WORLD SERIES!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1469/295/320/James%20Dean%20window%20sm.jpg http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/CXS10710191805.jpg

elrod
10-21-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm surprised W won't throw out the first pitch in Houston. I'm no fan of the Prez, but he's a legitimate baseball fan and his dad is very tight with the Astro organization. I'm not sure how popular he is anymore, even in Texas, but the symbolic power of the President returning home to Texas' first World Series has gotta be pretty big.

As for Chicago, who is Mark Groban? Seriously, I have never heard of him.

I'm among the minority of people that doesn't mind Liz Phair's last album. I was prepared to hate it, and I sort of dug it. I'd love it if Neko Case or Jon Langford or Robbie Fulks or any other Bloodshot Records singer was involved instead. They are all Chicagoans now, and "insurgent country" is, in my opinion, Chicago's greatest contribution to popular music these days.

Parrothead
10-21-2005, 12:47 AM
BO!!!!!!!!!!!!

i love it!

I hate it !:angry: He only played just a bit over 1 season with the Sox. How about someone from the 1983 or 1993 Sox or even Mike Veeck? One of them would be much more deserving. MLB blew this one in IMHO sinc ethey pick who throws out the pitches. Sure the Sox submit a list of people but MLB picks the person(s).

soxfan1965
10-21-2005, 01:03 AM
Bo? :?:
I'm surprised as anyone just considering Bo's tenure with the Sox. Bo did bring some excitement to the Sox. Bo knows running, and maybe the Sox have to run (and pitch) over some Houston players like Bo did over Bosworth. While Aparacio represents the '59 team, Bo represents the Nike generation. Something the Sox have to do in the Oswalt versus Oswaldo series-- WIN OR DIE TRYING -- AKA "JUST DO IT"

mike squires
10-21-2005, 08:05 AM
I think MLB has the final word on who throws out the 1st pitch. The Sox submits a list on who they want and MLB makes the choice.

I would have rather have seen Nancy or Hawk throw out the 1st pitch for game 2.

So, I guess that means no Fish, huh?...:smile:

LongLiveFisk
10-21-2005, 09:29 AM
I hate it !:angry: He only played just a bit over 1 season with the Sox. How about someone from the 1983 or 1993 Sox or even Mike Veeck? One of them would be much more deserving. MLB blew this one in IMHO sinc ethey pick who throws out the pitches. Sure the Sox submit a list of people but MLB picks the person(s).

I don't like it either. I have nothing against Bo, but there are definitely more deserving and appropriate choices. I do understand, however, that MLB chooses from some list and if that's the case, this is not a surprise at all.

soxrme
10-21-2005, 09:52 AM
I agree that all the living members of the 1959 team should throw out the first pitch in game one. Whoever in major league baseball that picked Bo Jackson is no Sox historian thats for sure. I think Minnie is the logical choice. GO SOX:bandance:

henchmanUK
10-21-2005, 10:08 AM
They should get David Carr to throw a first pitch in Houston. It would go right in the stands! :wink:

SOX ADDICT '73
10-21-2005, 10:10 AM
If I were making the choice I would take the last Championship team from the city of Chicago, Da entire 85' Bears team.

So you either:

A) Aren't much of a Bulls fan

or

B) Spent all the years from 1991 to 1998 in a coma.

:wink:

wdelaney72
10-21-2005, 10:11 AM
The Bo Jackson era was a time where I didn't follow any sports, so I can't make a fair evaluation as to whether or not he's worthy. I'd have preferred someone like Bill Melton or Big Frank... who all have stronger ties to the White Sox.

Josh Groban sucks ass. This is OBVIOUSLY Fox and MLB pulling their weight. While yes he's a telented singer, his songs absolutely suck and he's a hack and he's got ZERO ties to Chicago. I find this complete BS. Josh Groban did appear on the show "Ally McBeal" back in the day and coincidentally, that show was on Fox. Sounds like Mr. Groban has naked pictures of Rupert Murdock.

I have no problem with Liz Phair, but her being from Wilmette (or Winnetka I forget which one) makes it difficult for me to believe she's a Sox fan, but then again, Dolgin is from Northbrook so I guess it's possible.

Lou Rawls is a great choice. Was there any discussion of Dennis DeYoung? Styx is from Chicago and i believe were / are Sox fans.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Good to see the ole' Sox players tossing out the first ball. If I were making the choice I would take the last Championship team from the city of Chicago, Da entire 85' Bears team. Coach Ditka would be all sauced up and yelling at some Houston playeres before he even got to the mound. If not then the Mr. Mayor Daley has to be given the nod for not turning into a Bi-sox-ual and cheer for both baseball teams in Chicago.

12-3 in Attendance.:yup: White Sox WORLD SERIES!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1469/295/320/James%20Dean%20window%20sm.jpg http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/CXS10710191805.jpg

Nice idea, but this is about the Sox, not anybody else. Besides, do we really want Steve "Body By Dahl" McMichael out there?

henchmanUK
10-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Enough about Ditka already. He is a Cubs fan.

jehosaphat
10-21-2005, 10:54 PM
I agree that all the living members of the 1959 team should throw out the first pitch in game one. Whoever in major league baseball that picked Bo Jackson is no Sox historian thats for sure. I think Minnie is the logical choice. GO SOX:bandance:

Bo is a horrible choice - he was a "personality", but was a not one of the all-time great baseball players. In some ways Bob is a contrast to our "substance over style" hard working 2005 Sox team.

Bo was a phenomenal athlete for sure, but a guy who I think is remembered more as a college football player; I doubt many outside of Sox fans recall that he was on the Sox. Sheesh!

On the other hand, Minnie was a true pioneer, one of the first Cuban players and one of the greatest Sox players of all time. MLB is often so, so clueless.

Oh well. I guess it doesn't really matter. I'll use Bo's ceremonial pitch as an opportunity to visit the can!

LongLiveFisk
10-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Enough about Ditka already. He is a Cubs fan.

I've heard him say in a couple of interviews that he's actually a Cardinals fan. Wish he'd make up his mind.

jmcts
10-21-2005, 11:09 PM
It would be great if [Nolan Ryan] threw a 95 MPH heater right down the middle... the catcher wouldn't even know its coming...

Yeah, the catcher could be Ken Lay, who could get knocked on his tail. It was once named Enron Field, after all.:whistle:

jehosaphat
10-21-2005, 11:13 PM
I've heard him say in a couple of interviews that he's actually a Cardinals fan. Wish he'd make up his mind.

Really, I heard him say he was more of a national league fan and cheered for the Cubs, but liked to see the Sox do well also - he either said this at one of the interleague Cubs/Sox games or at one of 50 million times he been chosen to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" at Wrigley.

Whatever the case, we don't need Ditka - we need Minnie!

hsnterprize
10-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Have any of you noticed there isn't an official announcement about who's throwing out the first pitch in game 2? Granted, ESPNNews says it's Bo Jackson, but there's nothing officially confirming that on the Sox website. I bring this up because my mother-in-law said tonight she heard about some little girl who's being treated for some illness (I'm not 100% sure) that will throw out the first ball for game 2. If that's the case, I think that's pretty neat. But one thing I do know from attending a lot of games...celebrity gets you the "ceremonial first pitch" in the World Series, and sometimes, there's more than one "first pitch"; meaning the girl and a few others could throw out a "first ball" before the announced celebrity does it. Or, this girl could throw out the ball along side whoever the celebrity is supposed to be. I don't know. Any of you heard anything like this, or have other confirmation of Bo's first pitch Sunday?

SOXintheBURGH
10-21-2005, 11:21 PM

Val, for what its worth, I will always be in love with her since the first time I heard the song "Flower" as a young teenage boy.

SOXintheBURGH
10-21-2005, 11:23 PM

The dude grew up in Pittsburgh and had a coaching career in Chicago. I don't see any reason for him to be a fan of the Sox or the others.

mike squires
10-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Val, for what its worth, I will always be in love with her since the first time I heard the song "Flower" as a young teenage boy.

I remember seeing her on the cover of Rolling stone in a nighty. I was young and a bachelor at the time. Look out!:o:

henchmanUK
10-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Really, I heard him say he was more of a national league fan and cheered for the Cubs
This is what I remember hearing also, hence my original post on the subject.

Gavin
10-22-2005, 10:14 AM
I don't really get too upset over the first pitch selections. It's more political than anything, anyway.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-22-2005, 12:03 PM
The dude grew up in Pittsburgh and had a coaching career in Chicago. I don't see any reason for him to be a fan of the Sox or the others.

Well, he played for the Bears when they shacked up in Wrigley Field. "Father figure" George Halas named the team after the Cubs.
Pretty logical he'd be a Cubs' fan.

As for the Cardinals fan bit, I think he means when the Chicago Cardinals were stinking up the place at Comiskey.

LongLiveFisk
10-22-2005, 12:16 PM
As for the Cardinals fan bit, I think he means when the Chicago Cardinals were stinking up the place at Comiskey.

No, they were talking about baseball. It had me scratching my head too, because I couldn't see the connection.

house215
10-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Michael Jordan should throw out the 1st pitch for game 2. He was with the Sox organization for about as long as Bo Jackson was...

VenturaSoxFan23
10-22-2005, 12:47 PM
No, no and no MJ. Knowing Michael, he'll choose this time to announce he's coming out of retirement. (Again.)
Let him sit in his skybox and smoke his cigars...and bet on the games.

Bo is alright, he does work for the community. Maybe he'll have some kids with him to help out. I'd be for that.

soxfan1965
10-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Did they show Aparacio throw out the first pitch on TV?