PDA

View Full Version : Where's Hawk?

bennyw41
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
My father told me he was staying in FLA for the series, what's that about?

HoosierHerb
10-20-2005, 02:48 PM
He couldn't get tickets either

ja1022
10-20-2005, 02:49 PM
Out playing some golf, I'd bet.

sox1970
10-20-2005, 02:59 PM
My father told me he was staying in FLA for the series, what's that about?

Ed Farmer asked him to join him and Rooney in the booth, and Hawk declined. He doesn't want to get in their way and become a distraction. He's been getting a lot of interview requests, and he doesn't want to deal with it. Plus I think he's a little bitter he can't call the game.

skottyj242
10-20-2005, 03:02 PM
I read an interview with him before the Boston series and he said he was in Orlando watching the games on t.v. but he said he would be back for the Series. I wouldn't be suprised to see him on the local pre/post game shows.

sox1970
10-20-2005, 03:05 PM
I read an interview with him before the Boston series and he said he was in Orlando watching the games on t.v. but he said he would be back for the Series. I wouldn't be suprised to see him on the local pre/post game shows.

He's not doing anything for the World Series. He was on the radio a couple days ago and he said he turned down all of those offers. No Hawk during the World Series, folks.

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 03:08 PM

I heard that also. I hope he is around for the series, if not working in the media, at least around the guys.

sox1970
10-20-2005, 03:15 PM
I heard that also. I hope he is around for the series, if not working in the media, at least around the guys.

Read my lips:
Hawk...is...staying...in....Florida...during...the ... World...Series.

SOXPHILE
10-20-2005, 03:17 PM
While it is true that if he was in the booth with Rooney and Farmer, he would be a bit of a distaction, I do hope he joins them for an inning or two in one of the games. He will be around for the Series, just not in the broadcast booth(s). I also imagine he'll be making the rounds of the local news channels during their sports segments. Then, of course, he'll be the Grand Marshal or emcee during the parade/Grant Park pep rally celebrating the White Sox World Championship.

HotelWhiteSox
10-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Smells fishy to me, his excuse in the previous rounds was that he'd be at the Series, and now he'll be in Florida for that too

I'm thinking JR asked him to stay out because of his media feud? Or something is up for next year? Just speculation on my part, I just think it's weird

Flight #24
10-20-2005, 03:19 PM
While it is true that if he was in the booth with Rooney and Farmer, he would be a bit of a distaction, I do hope he joins them for an inning or two in one of the games. He will be around for the Series, just not in the broadcast booth(s). I also imagine he'll be making the rounds of the local news channels during their sports segments. Then, of course, he'll be the Grand Marshal or emcee during the parade/Grant Park pep rally celebrating the White Sox World Championship.

He was interviewed on ESPN radio a few days ago. He said he's staying in Florida and even went as far as to say he's changing his phone number because he gets so many calls asking him about participating in some way or another.

IMO the person who said he's bitter about not broadcasting is 100% on target. At least that's the way he came across in the interview.

SOXPHILE
10-20-2005, 03:25 PM
He was interviewed on ESPN radio a few days ago. He said he's staying in Florida and even went as far as to say he's changing his phone number because he gets so many calls asking him about participating in some way or another.

IMO the person who said he's bitter about not broadcasting is 100% on target. At least that's the way he came across in the interview.

He really shouldn't be bitter about not broadcasting though. Fox has the rights to the broadcast with MLB, so they're going to obviously have their guys doing it. It's always been like that, hasn't it ? The Astros don't have their T.V. guys doing it, and for as far back as I can remember, I don't think any team had their own announcers. It's always been the guys from whichever network are carrying it that year.

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Read my lips:
Hawk...is...staying...in....Florida...during...the ... World...Series.

Read my lips:

Direct a post at me again like I am an idiot and you'll be gone until spring training. Comprende?

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 03:29 PM

Thank you for clarifying and providing a source. About being bitter, he should get over it. That's the way it his. I hope that he changes his mind and comes to Chicago.

Sxy Mofo
10-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Hawk watches this team more closely than any of us. I just can't imagine (bitter or not) that anyone who follows a team that closely would choose not be there for the world series. blows my mind.

It's basically like taking a super model of your dreams out to dinner, a movie, and drinks for a half year, and then when she's ready to get it on, you dump her for some unknown reason.

getonbckthr
10-20-2005, 03:31 PM
remember our thread on superstitions. how alot of us won't shave or change clothes or whatever. maybe hawk is superstitious in that he was in fla all playoff so he doesnt wanna change anything.

Craig Grebeck
10-20-2005, 03:32 PM
seriously hawk, get over it and come back...the bitterness will turn into "boy, i wish i'd been there" after (if) they win it all

Jiddy78
10-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Hawk watches this team more closely than any of us. I just can't imagine (bitter or not) that anyone who follows a team that closely would choose not be there for the world series. blows my mind.

It's basically like taking a super model of your dreams out to dinner, a movie, and drinks for a half year, and then when she's ready to get it on, you dump her for some unknown reason.

She Gawn!

HotelWhiteSox
10-20-2005, 03:35 PM
If there is no issues with JR or returning in the future, I wouldn't be surprised if he's so egotistical that he wants to see if the broadcasters mention his name, but in that case, get a VCR

Seriosuly, who would turn down free World Series unless some extreme circumstances are involved? Especially someone who "claims" to be such a fan (and add on to that that the team in the Series is the WHITE SOX), weird

Sxy Mofo
10-20-2005, 03:37 PM
She Gawn!

grab some bench.

ja1022
10-20-2005, 03:38 PM
I heard him on the radio also, and he didn't sound bitter to me. He sounded like a guy who'd called 180 some games and now was enjoying his vacation, and the opportunity to watch the games as a fan, like the rest of us . As it was pointed out, he's had offers and turned them down. I think he's doing whatever he wants to do.

Dolanski
10-20-2005, 03:41 PM
One, how come no one is asking where DJ is? :tongue:

Two, has anyone considered he might be under the weather? I mean, he is getting up there in years and did miss a good stretch early in the season for that detached retina. Maybe something is up with him and he wants to keep it private? Still, it would be nice to see him be around the team or do a pre/post game thing.

Craig Grebeck
10-20-2005, 03:49 PM
hahaha, dj

i'd give anything to see the cameras pan the upper deck, and see him sporting that goofy grin of his sitting with the rest of the fans

Sxy Mofo
10-20-2005, 03:49 PM
I heard him on the radio also, and he didn't sound bitter to me. He sounded like a guy who'd called 180 some games and now was enjoying his vacation, and the opportunity to watch the games as a fan, like the rest of us . As it was pointed out, he's had offers and turned them down. I think he's doing whatever he wants to do.

See my "dating a supermodel" example.

Nard
10-20-2005, 03:53 PM

That doesn't make any sense. There has to be something different going on. He should definitely be there.

steff
10-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Smells fishy to me, his excuse in the previous rounds was that he'd be at the Series, and now he'll be in Florida for that too

I'm thinking JR asked him to stay out because of his media feud? Or something is up for next year? Just speculation on my part, I just think it's weird

Ding, ding, ding, ding...

ja1022
10-20-2005, 03:59 PM
See my "dating a supermodel" example.

I did already.

The Dude
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
Thats too bad that the Hawk wont be around here for the series:(:

Well maybe he makes a surprise appearance for a pre/post game or when we win the whole thing!

Hawk, unstrap yourself from that sofa of yours, stand up and make your plans to be with us for this best of 7 World Series beginning on Saturday October 22nd at beautiful U.S. Cellular Field. Tickets for these games are SOLD OUT! (in my best hawk voice):D:

Sxy Mofo
10-20-2005, 04:17 PM
I did already.

And as bitter as he is when the sox lose, and as joyous as he is when the sox win you don't find it unreal that a guy that seems to care that much and is in his position would turn down the opportunity to be at the world series?

There's something going on.

hawkjt
10-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Nope, I take him at his word. He said he understands the national tv deal and did not want to be a distraction to ed and john.

He also indicated he liked to watch the game at home where he can concentrate on the action.

I think he is just a little nervous like all of us but he still maintained that the sox are the best team in baseball.

Revolution29
10-20-2005, 04:21 PM
Seems to me that someone in his position and with his expierence would be well aware of the reasons behind Fox using their announcers and whatnot. Sure, none of us like it either, but why get bitter about something you can't control, especially when he was offered the chance to help with the call on the radio, the outlet that, unlike TV, is still more or less under local controll. It does make one wonder if something is up. That or he genuinly just wants to be left alone for the winter.

Unregistered
10-20-2005, 04:35 PM
When the playoffs started, Hawk was quoted in the paper saying that he has to actually send his family away and watch the playoffs alone in a room because he gets too into it and lives and dies with every pitch. In the same article he mentioned that he'd gladly be in Chicago if they got to the World Series.

However, as naive as it may sound, he might honestly rather stay home and concentrate on every pitch of the most important games of the year than be at the Cell, going from room to room shaking hands, saying hi to sponsors, radio and tv guys, etc, etc. while the game is going on. It may be the fact that it'll be way too much of a circus when all Hawk wants to do is see the White Sox play in the World Series.

Now back to the conspiracy theories... :D:

Wordwoman
10-20-2005, 06:58 PM
It's not like this is a one game World Series. This is history in the making for crying out loud! Hawk------go to the first game--------be part of the radio broadcast--------then go home, strap it down and live and breathe every pitch of the next three games in front of your own television set.

Wimpy
10-20-2005, 07:56 PM
Does any body remember game 2 of the ALDS when Berman was saying how great Hawk was. Hawk was on the Score the next morning with Mike North, and North asked him if he heard Berman giving him props. Hawk said he didn't even hear it because he was in the shower at the time. I thought it was really strange that Hawk was not even watching the whole playoff game. I hope he was at least listening to the radio broadcast while he was in the shower.

mike squires
10-20-2005, 08:41 PM
I think a lot of us forget to realize this is a job for these guys. (remember the scene in Fever Pitch with Damon, Ortiz and Veriteck eating dinner after a loss in the World series) they were talking and appeared nothing was wrong. I think the players and broadcasters are different from us regular folk who spend 10 hours a day on WSI.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to picture Hawk in this fleece Whitesox blanket, Whitesox slippers and his Comcast Sportsnet cap...but I just don't think that is the case.

I wonder if he was showering with his Whitesox shower curtain?

WOuld be a good question at Soxfest how much of it he watched...

Banix12
10-20-2005, 09:06 PM
remember our thread on superstitions. how alot of us won't shave or change clothes or whatever. maybe hawk is superstitious in that he was in fla all playoff so he doesnt wanna change anything.

This is actually what I kinda thought. I remember at the end of the season he was wearing that "Hawk" hat as a good luck charm. Most Ballplayers and ex-ballplayers have their share of superstitions. So I wouldn't be shocked if that had something to do with it.

Though, with a Hurricane headed for Florida I'd probably be in Chicago.

Dan H
10-20-2005, 09:11 PM
Harrelson should be here, but if he doesn't come, I won't lose any sleep over it. It just doesn't make sense that he wants to stay in Florida. However, that is his choice.

Dancin' Homer
10-20-2005, 09:16 PM
He's not doing anything for the World Series. He was on the radio a couple days ago and he said he turned down all of those offers. No Hawk during the World Series, folks.

:smile::smile::smile:

I'm sorry I know lots of people love him, but I just can't stand him.

Daver
10-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Harrelson should be here, but if he doesn't come, I won't lose any sleep over it. It just doesn't make sense that he wants to stay in Florida. However, that is his choice.

I hope he stays in Florida for all of next season.

If I never hear Ken Harrelson again it will be too soon.

slavko
10-20-2005, 11:18 PM
It's one of those deals that makes you go "hmmmmmmmm." Maybe a swap of Hawk for Dave Wills would bring each of them home for 2006?

gobears1987
10-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Sheesh, it isn't bitterness. The reason he doesn't want to be in the radio booth is that this is the last series Rooney is going to call. Hawk doesn't want to overshadow Rooney here.