PDA

View Full Version : NY Times article

jmcts
10-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Here is a great article that pretty much sums up why I love Sox baseball, other than their on-field talents, of course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/20/sports/baseball/20veeck.html?8hpib

You gotta love Bill Veeck. What a great guy.

Actually was concerned about his players -- shocking, I know -- and even testified on behalf of Curt Flood during the debate over the reserve clause.

From nytimes article:
Hank Greenberg . . . said before his death in 1986 that Veeck was the only owner he ever knew who really cared about his players. As a kind of affirmation, Minnie Minoso, who had played for Veeck, wore a White Sox uniform to his funeral.
As an employee/labor advocate, I have to respect and admire anyone who goes against his own interests and bucks other owners like that.

He was quite a change from Charles Comiskey, whose personal greed, let us not forget, brought about the whole Black Sox scandal. In fact, I view the Black Sox scandal as nothing more than a collective work action against management. Albeit an illegal one, but, you know, by any means necessary.

tebman
10-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Here is a great article that pretty much sums up why I love Sox baseball, other than their on-field talents, of course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/20/sports/baseball/20veeck.html?8hpib

You gotta love Bill Veeck. What a great guy.

Actually was concerned about his players -- shocking, I know -- and even testified on behalf of Curt Flood during the debate over the reserve clause.
I never get tired of reading about Veeck. He was a genuine character with no fear of where his imagination might take him. And he was always true to himself, as his early advocacy on behalf of revenue-sharing and free agency showed.

He made plenty of mistakes, like trading away prospects after 1959 and stubbornly attending Cubs games in his later years. But he was always trying something and had a helluva lot of fun doing it. That's more than most of us can say.

Here's to you, Bill! :gulp:

Johnny Mostil
10-20-2005, 02:20 PM
Who is "honor[ing Veeck] in absentia" this week? Berkow and the NYT?