PDA

View Full Version : Larry Walker announces Retirement

JimEdmonds15
10-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Walker says goodbye to baseball (http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051019&content_id=1255119&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl)
Cardinals veteran has played his final game
By John Schlegel / MLB.com

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/images/2005/10/20/Q8TxzRN6.jpg

First baseman Albert Pujols: "It's 17 years he played? I'm just glad to be a part of these last two years with him."

Center fielder Jim Edmonds: "The best thing I can say is, 'Congratulations on a great career and on retirement,' actually. Any time you can play as long as he did and have a career that he did, you should be congratulated. I think it's pretty special. I told him [when] he was getting a little sad, I said, 'I think you should be smiling right now. You've had an unbelievable career and you've got lots of money and now you get to go home and enjoy your family.' I think that's what's special."

Left fielder Reggie Sanders: "He was dealing with a lot, physically and mentally. But he's a true professional. He's going to go out there and give what he has. For us, as players in this clubhouse, we support each other. We do what we need to do to have each other's back. And we're just really proud of what Larry's done for us."

[More in URL]

Lemme just say I never realized just how awesome Larry Walker was until he put on that St. Louis uniform. What a class act. I hated to see him cry in the postgame but he battled for us last year but this year told me everything I ever thought about Walker. When healthy the man can swing a pretty good bat but that wasnt much. 4 cortisone (sp) shots is too much for one man like Larry I believe. He fought and fought and fought to try and help this team. While some Cards fans are disappointed right now about his non contributions this postseason believe it or not for some reason he brought a smile on my face (nothing else did really) when he got that double. It's a shame though his last at bat will end up being a strike out and he has to leave this way.

I enjoyed Larry in his 1 1/2 years as a Cardinal (even though we know most of us knew he was broken down and nearing the end). A Class act.. Sad he never gets his ring though.

Baby Fisk
10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Canada's greatest.

Tekijawa
10-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Canada's greatest.

Bill Wennington is... Get it right!

Shoeless Joe
10-20-2005, 05:02 PM
For a good stretch Larry Walker was one of the greatest hitters in the league (although he was playing at Coors during that time). It's a shame injuries got the better of him throughout his career. Plus, he wasn't a jerk so that helps his image. Farewell Larry, at least you never played for the Cubs.

RKMeibalane
10-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Larry Walker was an outstanding player. I enjoyed watching him back when he played for the Expos and Rockies. It's a shame that he never was able to win a championship. Irronically, his best chance was probably with the ill-fated 1994 Expos club.

Congrats on a great career, and good luck with retirement, Larry. You were a class-act, and you deserve it.

Jjav829
10-20-2005, 07:05 PM
Prediction: Larry Walker will be part of some major league baseball team next year.

Just throwing that out there. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong, but I have a feeling Larry Walker isn't quite done yet. I see him back next year as part of a platoon somewhere.

Chips
10-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Prediction: Larry Walker will be part of some major league baseball team next year.

Just throwing that out there. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong, but I have a feeling Larry Walker isn't quite done yet. I see him back next year as part of a platoon somewhere.

I think so too, some team next year will be in need of a bat due to injuries or something and he will be in uniform.

SoxFan76
10-20-2005, 08:29 PM
Regardless, it's another era of baseball players that I grew up with slowly starting to retire. It makes me kind of sad...

I remember looking at these guy's (guys'?) baseball cards when I was younger. Now they are all retiring.

johnny bench
10-21-2005, 08:47 AM

I was thinking along the same lines until I read that he needs something like 3 and half hours of time to loosen up before each game. Clearly he has been in an enormous amount of pain this season, and for me it's hard to imagine that he'll undertake all that pain and take the risk that he might not be able to play at the high level at which he has always achieved.

jdm2662
10-21-2005, 08:57 AM
I read an article earlier in the year about his injuries. He's done. There's only so much pain you can take. As you get older, it gets worse. It's too bad, but what can you do? Best of luck to him. He was a great ball player.

mike squires
10-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Can't say I really followed Larry's career all that much, but it sounds like he was a professional and hard worker. I remember going to spring training in 2000 and going to the Rockie complex. He was shagging balls and I was trying to get him to sign, but he wouldn't so much as look at me. I know he was working and all but I was thinking he could at least acknowledge me. I know I can't judge him soley on that interaction though.

Hagan
10-21-2005, 09:14 PM
Larry Walker was such a good player!!!!! His numbers in 1995-1999 were amazing!!!!!!!!

JUribe1989
10-21-2005, 09:31 PM
.313 career average with 2,160 hits. This guy was one of the best hitters in the league. He was an unbelievable player and I can't wait till he's in the Hall.

LongLiveFisk
10-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Larry had a tremendous career. He really should be proud! :smile:

JorgeFabregas
10-21-2005, 10:23 PM
I was impressed with his outfield play during the playoff run, given his health.

doublem23
10-22-2005, 03:04 PM

I agree. Once that knee starts to feel better, he'll be back.