PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik v. Houston

vafan
10-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Here are his 3-year totals against Houston.

vs. HOU149 23 43 7 2 7 18 13 0 3 0 18 3 .289 .346 .503 .849
13 BBs, 18 steals (3 CS), and 7 HRs!?!

Go Scotty! The one thing I like about the layoff is that it should help Scotty's wheels.

soxfanreggie
10-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Definitely, I think that Scotty should be able to run all day on Houston once he gets on base. The key thing is him being able to get on base. I think Scotty becomes the X-Factor and could be the key to winning the WS.

DaleJRFan
10-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Hey... if Scott can poke a few the other way to that short porch in Houston, you never know... he could have a few leadoff homers :redneck

SoxFan76
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Hey... if Scott can poke a few the other way to that short porch in Houston, you never know... he could have a few leadoff homers :redneck

I know that's half-teal, but has Podsednik really hit opposite field much? It seems like he pulls everything or goes up the middle.

mdep524
10-20-2005, 11:40 AM
I know that's half-teal, but has Podsednik really hit opposite field much? It seems like he pulls everything or goes up the middle. :hawk
Your what hurts?

Pods loves to go opposite field, especially to dump a single in front of the leftfielder or line a double right down the line into the corner.

voodoochile
10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
I know that's half-teal, but has Podsednik really hit opposite field much? It seems like he pulls everything or goes up the middle.

I get the completely opposite idea. I see him constantly slapping the ball into LF. So much so in fact that some teams play their LF really short on him.

SoxFan76
10-20-2005, 11:49 AM
I get the completely opposite idea. I see him constantly slapping the ball into LF. So much so in fact that some teams play their LF really short on him.

Maybe I'm going crazy. I see him hit it back up the middle a lot, but I can't really remember him going opposite field too many times. I'll check his hitting chart on mlb.com.

SoxFan76
10-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Ok, it looks like he grounds out to the right side the most (naturally). His doubles were pretty spread out. His base hits were mostly up the middle, but a close second is left field.

I stand corrected. Sorry guys. :smile:

SOXintheBURGH
10-20-2005, 11:54 AM
He tries to go to LF every AB he possibly can....

SoxFan76
10-20-2005, 11:58 AM

OK! My fault! Geez lay off man! haha

Andyzipp
10-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Yeah, you can forget to tell Podsednik when game time is...it wouldn't hurt this Astros' fans feelings.

PatK
10-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah, you can forget to tell Podsednik when game time is...it wouldn't hurt this Astros' fans feelings.

SOUND THE ALARM!!! INVASION!!!!

Tekijawa
10-20-2005, 01:39 PM

I don't know why there is such a big deal over this "short porch" it's 15 feet shorter than our fence in left and about 15 feet higher.

TheOldRoman
10-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Yep. I saw him hit several balls to the wall in left that most likely would have carried out if it were hit to right. He "just missed" at least 10 homers this year. I could care less if he finds the Crawford Boxes or not, I just want him to get on base, swipe some bags, and score runs.
Scotty was a terror the three games in Anaheim. If he is getting on base two or three times a game, we are going to make the Astros look like that 85 Patriots.

TheOldRoman
10-20-2005, 01:49 PM
I don't know why there is such a big deal over this "short porch" it's 15 feet shorter than our fence in left and about 15 feet higher.
Yes, down the line it is only 15 feet shorter than at the cell. However, the bullpen at the cell jots out an extra five feet just so the dimensions weren't symmetrical. After the foul pole, the wall angles back. The shortest distance for a homer is down the line.
In Houston, the wall sticks out, but it is a wide wall. That whole length of the wall provides a short porch, not just at the foul pole like at the Cell. Since it is a straight wall, the shortest distance is at the far right corner of it. It has to be 305' to that point, where it would around 345 at the Cell.

Go to this (http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/Side-by-side.html) page for side by side comparisons, you will see what I mean.

kevingrt
10-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Pods is going to be a huge factor this series. If he can get on base and especially to 2B with Gooch up then we should be able to score a run. And as we know runs in this series will be very hard to come by, or so we think.

Here's hoping to Pods gets on base as often as possible!

hawkjt
10-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Also Pods is from Texas- should be comfortable down there.

Andyzipp
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
Yes, down the line it is only 15 feet shorter than at the cell. However, the bullpen at the cell jots out an extra five feet just so the dimensions weren't symmetrical. After the foul pole, the wall angles back. The shortest distance for a homer is down the line.
In Houston, the wall sticks out, but it is a wide wall. That whole length of the wall provides a short porch, not just at the foul pole like at the Cell. Since it is a straight wall, the shortest distance is at the far right corner of it. It has to be 305' to that point, where it would around 345 at the Cell.

Go to this (http://www.andrewclem.com/Baseball/Side-by-side.html) page for side by side comparisons, you will see what I mean.

Actually, it does curve somewhat. Like you say, 315' down the line. 10 feet over, it's about 322', 10 feet from that it's about 330'. The edge of the porch toward center field is about 337', iirc.

Again, they're easy to reach, but it's not any cheaper than homeruns in Yankee Stadium or Fenway.

TheOldRoman
10-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Actually, it does curve somewhat. Like you say, 315' down the line. 10 feet over, it's about 322', 10 feet from that it's about 330'. The edge of the porch toward center field is about 337', iirc.

Again, they're easy to reach, but it's not any cheaper than homeruns in Yankee Stadium or Fenway.
I stand corrected. The distance at the end of the Crawford Boxes would be around 320'-325', it is not shorter than down the line. However, 325 to straight away left field is VERY short. Like I said, that point at the Cell would be about 345'-350'.

Andyzipp
10-20-2005, 02:34 PM
I stand corrected. The distance at the end of the Crawford Boxes would be around 320'-325', it is not shorter than down the line. However, 325 to straight away left field is VERY short. Like I said, that point at the Cell would be about 345'-350'.

Yeah so the idea with the porch is hit the ball 325' 21 feet in the air to left.

It plays a lot less cheap than it looks.

mattcoz
10-20-2005, 03:05 PM
That's not an accurate way to look at his stats, you have to look at his numbers against their current pitchers.

vs. Oswalt: .261 avg in 23 ab, 1 db, 1 rbi, 1 bb, 4 k
vs. Clemens: .357 avg in 14 ab, 1 db, 1 hr, 1 rbi, 5 k
vs. Lidge: .333 avg in 9 ab, 1 db, 2 rbi, 2 k

Oh, and how about these stats for PK:

vs. Pettite: .391 avg in 23 ab, 1 db, 1 3b, 1 hr, 7 rbi, 2 bb, 2 k
vs. Clemens: .444 avg in 18 ab, 5 db, 2 hr, 5 rbi, 1 bb, 4 k

:D:

Team average vs. Houston pitching:

vs. Clemens: .280 in 164 ab
vs. Pettite: .308 in 146 ab
vs. Oswalt: .352 in 54 ab
vs. Backe: .357 in 14 ab
vs. Lidge: .250 in 16 ab

IlliniSoxFan
10-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Does anybody have a split for Houston's hitters against our pitching staff? I'd be interested to see that...

mattcoz
10-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Does anybody have a split for Houston's hitters against our pitching staff? I'd be interested to see that...
Houston team average vs. White Sox pitching:

vs. Contreras: .000 in 1 ab
vs. Buehrle: .400 in 5 ab
vs. Garland: .154 in 13 ab
vs. Garcia: .188 in 69 ab
vs. El Duque: .304 in 23 ab
vs. Politte: .313 in 16 ab
vs. Vizcaino: .250 in 60 ab
vs. Hermanson: .349 in 86 ab

Go Freddy! :D:

kielty4life
10-20-2005, 03:46 PM

Podsednik will be overmatched.

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Podsednik will be overmatched.

And you know this how?

SoxFan76
10-20-2005, 05:04 PM
And you know this how?

Yes, I'm interested to hear his reasoning.

Iguana775
10-20-2005, 05:27 PM
That's not an accurate way to look at his stats, you have to look at his numbers against their current pitchers.

vs. Oswalt: .261 avg in 23 ab, 1 db, 1 rbi, 1 bb, 4 k
vs. Clemens: .357 avg in 14 ab, 1 db, 1 hr, 1 rbi, 5 k
vs. Lidge: .333 avg in 9 ab, 1 db, 2 rbi, 2 k

Oh, and how about these stats for PK:

vs. Pettite: .391 avg in 23 ab, 1 db, 1 3b, 1 hr, 7 rbi, 2 bb, 2 k
vs. Clemens: .444 avg in 18 ab, 5 db, 2 hr, 5 rbi, 1 bb, 4 k

:D:

Team average vs. Houston pitching:

vs. Clemens: .280 in 164 ab
vs. Pettite: .308 in 146 ab
vs. Oswalt: .352 in 54 ab
vs. Backe: .357 in 14 ab
vs. Lidge: .250 in 16 ab

The only pitcher that really scares me is Oswalt. But i think the Sox can get to the rest.....and hopefully get to them early.

TheOldRoman
10-20-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, he is either a Twins troll (likely), an A's troll (also likely) or a Cubs troll posing as a Twins or A's fan (ding ding ding). Cubs fans don't care about the Sox, though.
This is just like the person "HunterOwnsYou" who registered yesterday. I am pretty sure the Mods zapped him before he could get off a single trolling post.

Chips
10-20-2005, 07:54 PM

Looks like game 1 is going to be a no hitter.:cool:

Chisox003
10-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Reasoning from a guy, on a White Sox message board, with the name "kielty4life" ??

Don't hold your breath....

Baseless statements are trolls' jobs .... He'll be gone by next week

Iguchi won't even make contact this series

:rolleyes:

STROSFAN
10-20-2005, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately, I think that Pods will have some decent numbers stealing against us. If you watched the Cards series, we did very little from keeping Eckstein or the other Cards from running on us. I think we may have one real play from Ausmus to 1st base in one game. Pettitte has a very slow delivery to home plate, so that wont help us. Roy O is pretty quick to the plate so thats good. The others are about average. I d like to see us defend the bases a little more than we usually do.

batmanZoSo
10-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Maybe I'm going crazy. I see him hit it back up the middle a lot, but I can't really remember him going opposite field too many times. I'll check his hitting chart on mlb.com.

He might slice one down the left field line once in a while, but he certainly doesn't drive the ball that way. Matter of fact, he doesn't really drive the ball, period in any direction. It seems that if he hits the ball with any authority it's to the right side or up the middle.

bludupree
10-21-2005, 12:35 AM
Unfortunately, I think that Pods will have some decent numbers stealing against us. If you watched the Cards series, we did very little from keeping Eckstein or the other Cards from running on us. I think we may have one real play from Ausmus to 1st base in one game. Pettitte has a very slow delivery to home plate, so that wont help us. Roy O is pretty quick to the plate so thats good. The others are about average. I d like to see us defend the bases a little more than we usually do.

Roy is pitching game 3 vs. Garland right? That will be a tuough one that I think will come down to the bullpen. Just my prediction.

Actually here is my series prediciton:
game 1: Sox Lose 3-2
game 2: Sox win 5-2
game 3: Sox win 2-1
game 4 Sox win 7-4
game 5: Sox win 4-1

Again, just my prediction...

Banix12
10-21-2005, 02:23 AM
You want a few more impressive splits?

how about Konerko vs. Clemens. 18 AB, 8 Hits, 5 Doubles, 2 HRs, .444. avg
or Joe Crede vs Clemens. 5 AB, 3 Hits, 2 HRs

kielty4life
10-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Don't get me wrong....I like the Sox. Frank Thomas is one of my favorite players all-time. Konerko seems like a great guy. But Podsednik? I can't figure out how this guy was up for the All-Star game final voting......and then he won it??? Seriously, he may be the worst All-Star position player of the last ten years. If you doubt that, then you are just wearing White Sox blinders.

The numbers speak for themselves:

.351 OBP / .349 SLG / .700 OPS

59 SB / 23 CAUGHT STEALING!!! That's running yourself into an awful lot of outs. I'm just being honest here. Bobby Kielty is three times the player Podsednik will ever be.

Good luck in the series. However, I think Oswalt will be the difference in a Game 6 or Game 7, whichever he pitches.

SOX ADDICT '73
10-21-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm just being honest here. Bobby Kielty is three times the player Podsednik will ever be.
:rolling:
I don't think I've ever seen two more contradictory statements.

So.ILSoxFan
10-21-2005, 09:56 AM
But Podsednik? I can't figure out how this guy was up for the All-Star game final voting......

Ok, lets use an analogy. Let's say you have a beautiful 52 inch plasma TV for watching your baseball games. For years and years you have saved to buy the baddest Mother-of-a TV in town. However, upon delivery, you realize something very important! It has a plug designed for British sockets.

:o:

So, what do you do? You run to Sears/Best Buy to pick up an adapter. It costs a buck fifty. It is the size of a bottle cap. It has absolutely no insane features, it does not invite friends to watch the game, BUT! It makes all the difference in the world. Without it, your beautiful TV is a nice conversation piece/dust collector.

That is Pods. He is no slugger, he isn't an amazing outfielder, he won't be on a Wheaties box, but he is absolutely essential to the success of this team, and we appreciate that.

I hope that helps you understand.

:cool:

Palehose13
10-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Don't get me wrong....I like the Sox. Frank Thomas is one of my favorite players all-time. Konerko seems like a great guy. But Podsednik? I can't figure out how this guy was up for the All-Star game final voting......and then he won it??? Seriously, he may be the worst All-Star position player of the last ten years. If you doubt that, then you are just wearing White Sox blinders.

59 SB / 23 CAUGHT STEALING!!! That's running yourself into an awful lot of outs. I'm just being honest here. Bobby Kielty is three times the player Podsednik will ever be.

Good luck in the series. However, I think Oswalt will be the difference in a Game 6 or Game 7, whichever he pitches.

You must not watch a lot of games. The way Podsednik gets into the head of the opposing pitcher is amazing and has huge benefits for his team mates!

BTW...look at Pods stats AT the all-star break* (before his injury):
.294 BA / .369 OBP / 44 SB / 9 CS

* I didn't include power numbers cause that's not what Pods is about.

Kielty is three times the player Pods will ever be?
:roflmao:
Is this his mom posting?

vafan
10-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Did I call this or what? Now Scotty has 8 HRs against Houston!!

Flight #24
10-24-2005, 01:14 AM

:?:

Is this the Bobby Kielty who put up a sterling .263/.350/395 line? With 3 SB & 2 CS (and you criticized Pods SB%?)?

Bobby Kielty may be 3x the player Pods is, but we're not going by weight. Only Billy "genius, as long as I'm not expected to win a playoff series" Beane might take Kielty over Podsednik.

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/62/81/88m.jpg
Fat drunk & stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Chisox353014
10-24-2005, 01:29 AM
Podsednik? I can't figure out how this guy was up for the All-Star game final voting......and then he won it??? Seriously, he may be the worst All-Star position player of the last ten years. If you doubt that, then you are just wearing White Sox blinders.

:kukoo: :nuts:

2 words: Walk. Off.

ElevenUp
10-24-2005, 02:01 AM
Ok, lets use an analogy. Let's say you have a beautiful 52 inch plasma TV for watching your baseball games. For years and years you have saved to buy the baddest Mother-of-a TV in town. However, upon delivery, you realize something very important! It has a plug designed for British sockets.

:o:

So, what do you do? You run to Sears/Best Buy to pick up an adapter. It costs a buck fifty. It is the size of a bottle cap. It has absolutely no insane features, it does not invite friends to watch the game, BUT! It makes all the difference in the world. Without it, your beautiful TV is a nice conversation piece/dust collector.

That is Pods. He is no slugger, he isn't an amazing outfielder, he won't be on a Wheaties box, but he is absolutely essential to the success of this team, and we appreciate that.

I hope that helps you understand.

:cool:

Either that or you return the tv to the store and get one that's got a plug made for the good old US of A.

vafan
10-24-2005, 09:48 AM
8 of Scotty's 23 career HRs are against the Astros. I love it.