PDA

View Full Version : Both teams in the WS lost 2 out of 3 of their Biggest Bats last offseason

Tekijawa
10-20-2005, 09:26 AM
I think it's Kind of funny how the Sox Traded Carlos Lee and Let Maggs go via Free Agency and Houston Lost both Jeff Kent and Carlos Beltran and both teams were given little if any chance to even be near the tops of their respective divisions and yet here we are...

I guess pitching and Defense does matter more than $15 Million dollar Free Agents!

Frater Perdurabo
10-20-2005, 09:29 AM
I think it's Kind of funny how the Sox Traded Carlos Lee and Let Maggs go via Free Agency and Houston Lost both Jeff Kent and Carlos Beltran and both teams were given little if any chance to even be near the tops of their respective divisions and yet here we are...

I guess pitching and Defense does matter more than $15 Million dollar Free Agents!

Actually, the Sox lost their three best hitters - Frank, Maggs and Lee. Thankfully Konerko has done his part to pick up the slack.

rmusacch
10-20-2005, 09:32 AM

Does Beltran really count as he was a rent-a-player?

Tekijawa
10-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Does Beltran really count as he was a rent-a-player?

Beltran like Maggs took very simmilar ammounts to what their original teams had at one point offered them and went else where. I hope that they bought a Nice Big Plasma Screen to watch the World Series on with all that extra dough.

DaleJRFan
10-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Much like the Sox playing without Frank Thomas, Houston has been playing much of this season without Bagwell.

Houston doesn't have anyone close to PK. We've got a huge power advantage with PK and Dye. Now they've got to come through.

voodoochile
10-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Dye effectively replaced Lee for all intents and purposes. Their stats this season are so similar as to be essentially the same.

If the Sox had a healthy Frank, even the media wouldn't be able to deny their rightful place as the best team in baseball all year long.

34 Inch Stick
10-20-2005, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=Tekijawa

I guess pitching and Defense does matter more than $15 Million dollar Free Agents![/QUOTE]

What does Clemens make?

DaleJRFan
10-20-2005, 10:30 AM
What does Clemens make?

$17m

Is it just me, or do the Sox OWN on old "future hall of famers"??? Maddux, Big Unit, and now Clemens... Make it happen guys!

mihoba
10-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Actually, the Sox lost their three best hitters - Frank, Maggs and Lee. Thankfully Konerko has done his part to pick up the slack.

And the Astros biggest loss was the injury to Jeff Bagwell, not the loss of Kent and especially not Beltran, mainly due to the emergence of the speedy Tavares.

As a lifelong Astro fan, I do not know much about the new Sox, and have only watched a few games this year. I read somewhere on here that the AL is a much better league, and of course I disagree with that.

The Pale Hose better be ready for good pitching.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Dye effectively replaced Lee for all intents and purposes. Their stats this season are so similar as to be essentially the same.

I think Dye does a better job on defense, that's why I wasn't hurt to see El Cabayo go to Milwaukee.

mdep524
10-20-2005, 11:28 AM

I guess pitching and Defense does matter more than $15 Million dollar Free Agents! Shhhhh!!! Someone in New York might hear you!

gobears1987
10-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Last time we faced Clemens I remember Frank blasted a grand slam off of him.

mccombe_35
10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Last time we faced Clemens I remember Frank blasted a grand slam off of him.

a blast high off the LF foul pole in NY in '03........ i think.....

TheOldRoman
10-20-2005, 12:07 PM

HAHAHA no. The SOX were cheap in the offseason
They got Dye and he is horrible
Meanwhile, they gave up LEE, he was clutch and awsome
Dye can't hit third, and he has no RBI, he is the worst
right fielder in baseball. We only got him because he was
cheap and Reinsdorf wont spend any money
The SOX let their great homegrown talent go and sign over
the hill veterans who never were good anyways
Our offense is horrible because of Dye, he should never play
for the SOX again. KW made his bed, now he had to lie in it
HEHEHE
:cool:

I guess I beat Hangar to it. He wouldn't stand for you telling the truth about Dye's production.

1951Campbell
10-20-2005, 12:12 PM
The question is...does that sort of NFL-like groupthink sweep MLB in the offseason with a resulting increase in "smallball"-type rosters in 2006?

voodoochile
10-20-2005, 12:16 PM
The question is...does that sort of NFL-like groupthink sweep MLB in the offseason with a resulting increase in "smallball"-type rosters in 2006?

Well as players continue to shrink due to less steroid usage, teams will have to do something to offset the loss of run production.

Of course MLB might also lower the mound further and wind the ball tighter and bring the walls closer and thus cheapen the homer and the game, but in short, yes, I think for a number of reasons more teams will be looking to manufacture runs in the next few years.

Frater Perdurabo
10-20-2005, 12:17 PM

Of course.