PDA

View Full Version : Coming to Chicago...need advice!

mccoydp
10-20-2005, 09:49 AM
My wife has graciously offered to buy tickets and a hotel room for us to fly to Chicago to take part in the World Series festivities this weekend...we figure on going to either Jimbo's or Puffers to hang out with the Sox faithful.
We're trying to pick a package on Expedia, and I want something that is close to the subway line...I still know my way around town from my days at IIT. Do any of you recommend the following hotels:

Millenium Knickerbocker
Hotel Allegro
Best Western Inn (near Grant Park)
Club Quarters

Sorry if I got the names wrong...I copied them as she read them to me on the phone.
I hope to make it up there for Saturday and Sunday! Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-20-2005, 09:51 AM
My wife has graciously offered to buy tickets and a hotel room for us to fly to Chicago to take part in the World Series festivities this weekend...we figure on going to either Jimbo's or Puffers to hand out with the Sox faithful.
We're trying to pick a package on Expedia, and I want something that is close to the subway line...I still know my way around town from my days at IIT. Do any of you recommend the following hotels:

Millenium Knickerbocker
Hotel Allegro
Best Western Inn (near Grant Park)
Club Quarters

Sorry if I got the names wrong...I copied them as she read them to me on the phone.
I hope to make it up there for Saturday and Sunday! Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

I've never stayed in a hotel in Chicago, but I'd probably avoid the Best Western - with the possible exception of the Hilton & Towers, nearly all of the hotels on S. Michigan are looking the worse for wear these days.

TomBradley72
10-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Not sure about the prices...but i would go with Hotel Allegro...right by the train....stayed there for a wedding once...cool rooms....right around Wacker/Wabash if I remember correctly....

lumpyspun
10-20-2005, 10:02 AM
I remember when I used to travel to NYC alot...I used to put a cheap price into priceline on hotels and every time Club Quarters would come up. You might want to give that a try. I always got a good rate on it, but that was NYC...not sure if the Chicago CQ is the same deal....

sas1974
10-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Of the hotels that you listed, The Millenium KB and Allegro are you best options. The MKB will be about a 6 or 7 block walk to the Red Line and Allegro is about 3 or 4. Avoid Club Quarters. It's like a college dorm room. If you were able to get a decent rate and it was available, you could shoot for The Westin on Michigan. I believe many of the visiting teams stay there although they may have stepped it up a bit for the World Series.

Sad
10-20-2005, 10:12 AM
might want to try the Essex Inn on S. Michigan... it's near the Red Line Harrison stop... I'll be staying there Sat. night.

Travelodge is also just off Michigan a few blocks north of that... not fancy by any stretch but a decent place to crash...

not sure what rooms if any are available this late what with a Bears home game Sunday and the World Series goin'... good luck.

Cellview22
10-20-2005, 10:38 AM
mccoydp - have you heard of Tripadvisor? It's a great site with tons of user reviews and photos. For each city, it ranks each hotel according to the guest reviews, and in Chicago, Hotel Allegro ranks highest among the 4 you listed. Allegro is #37 out of 155 Chicago hotels, Club Quarters is #74, and Best Western and Millennium are way down the list.

You can check it out here: http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g35805-Chicago_Illinois-Hotels.html

mccoydp
10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
mccoydp - have you heard of Tripadvisor? It's a great site with tons of user reviews and photos. For each city, it ranks each hotel according to the guest reviews, and in Chicago, Hotel Allegro ranks highest among the 4 you listed. Allegro is #37 out of 155 Chicago hotels, Club Quarters is #74, and Best Western and Millennium are way down the list.

You can check it out here: http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g35805-Chicago_Illinois-Hotels.html

Thanks for the tip...we were really looking into the hotel and flight packages; the hotels listed were the ones included with the airfare...

Thanks again; I'll keep it for my next trip!

Law11
10-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Allegro is nice, nothing fancy. The knickerbocker is nice.
I'd go Allegro.

PatK
10-20-2005, 11:34 AM
I'd avoid Jimbo's, unless you want to be served a $4 can of horrible beer by people that act like they are doing you a favor by patronizing their establishment.

mccoydp
10-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Where are the WSIers congregating this weekend? It seems like Puffers gets mentioned a lot...
Please excuse my ignorance about the bars...I was 18 when I was last there, and the only club I was even able to get into was Medusa's (techno dance club) on Halloween night, 1992.
Thanks for all the advice.:D:

Goose
10-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Hotel Allegro is nice. It is on Randolph just west of LaSalle. The red line is about 3 blocks at Washington and State. If you have a pet that you want to bring with you, the Allegro allows for all kinds of pets...no reason to leave Fido out on WS festivities!

Fuller_Schettman
10-20-2005, 01:19 PM
I stayed at the Allegro last fall and it was very nice. Good location. There is a Dunkin' Donuts right across the street, Giordano's is a block west down Randolph and there is a Corner Bakery a block down Wells, which is great for a delicious quickie breakfast. Also a CVS across the street for those oops-forgot it items.

PatK
10-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Where are the WSIers congregating this weekend? It seems like Puffers gets mentioned a lot...
Please excuse my ignorance about the bars...I was 18 when I was last there, and the only club I was even able to get into was Medusa's (techno dance club) on Halloween night, 1992.
Thanks for all the advice.:D:

I think there is a thread here (or someone can make a link) that had a big listing of bars for Sox fans.

I only said that about Jimbo's because everyone talked about how great it was, and it was truly disappointing when I went there.

Goose
10-20-2005, 01:35 PM
The only thing that is not that good about the Allegro (or any hotels in the Loop) is that the Loop, on weekends, is rather dead. However, with you going to the game/Puffers, that will not be a concern for you! :smile:

fozzy
10-20-2005, 08:21 PM
id check out www.site59.com (http://www.site59.com) . i have to travel at the last minute all the time they combine the fllight and hotel room together you can get them for dirt cheap