PDA

View Full Version : Stadium approval?

downstairs
10-20-2005, 07:41 AM
I was thinking about Houston's goofy hill with the flagpole, their short outfield walls, etc.

Who actually gets to approve plans for a new park? Does MLB have a say? Do the other teams have a say?

(I'm not talking about the city approving the park as they do all buildings, or anything financial. I am merely talking about what amounts to ground rules... dimensions, distractions, goofy and unique stuff...)

Max Power
10-20-2005, 09:51 AM
MLB has to approve the dimensions on new stadiums. I think stadiums have to be a minumum of 325 feet down each line, but it is possible to get a waiver- which Houston did. Also, I know I read that one of the higher ups with the Astros put in the center field hill early in the process assuming that MLB wouldn't approve it... but they did.

PaulDrake
10-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Crosley Field in Cincinatti had a similar hill in center field. Isotopes Park in Albuquerque also has one.

DenverSock
10-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Crosley Field in Cincinatti had a similar hill in center field. Isotopes Park in Albuquerque also has one.

How do you know about Isotopes Park?

PaulDrake
10-20-2005, 12:43 PM
How do you know about Isotopes Park? I love New Mexico. We visited there in the summer of 04. Unfortunately, no visit to the ball park. Maybe next time. In fact, I wouldn't mind moving there.

DenverSock
10-20-2005, 12:45 PM
I love New Mexico. We visited there in the summer of 04. Unfortunately, no visit to the ball park. Maybe next time. In fact, I wouldn't mind moving there.

Just curious, I obviously grew up out west and spent a lot of time in Minor league ball parks.

PaulDrake
10-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Just curious, I obviously grew up out west and spent a lot of time in Minor league ball parks. If you ever travel east I recommend a trip to Altoona, Pa home of the Altoona curve.

dcb33
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
I was thinking about Houston's goofy hill with the flagpole, their short outfield walls, etc.

Who actually gets to approve plans for a new park? Does MLB have a say? Do the other teams have a say?

(I'm not talking about the city approving the park as they do all buildings, or anything financial. I am merely talking about what amounts to ground rules... dimensions, distractions, goofy and unique stuff...)

Old Tiger Stadium used to have a flagpole on the field of play out in its center field. Not to say it's a good idea, but Minute Maid certainly isn't the first park to feature such a delightful quirk.

Clembasbal
10-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Reminds me of the games I played at Lewis Univeristy. Their left field had a huge slope up, from about 10' from the foul line to the fence 15' back (and by then 8' up too)!

ChiSoxRowand
10-20-2005, 03:58 PM
MLB has to approve the dimensions on new stadiums. I think stadiums have to be a minumum of 325 feet down each line, but it is possible to get a waiver- which Houston did. Also, I know I read that one of the higher ups with the Astros put in the center field hill early in the process assuming that MLB wouldn't approve it... but they did.

MLB probably let them have the 315 feet left field line if they put up a high wall.

PaulDrake
10-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Old Tiger Stadium used to have a flagpole on the field of play out in its center field. Not to say it's a good idea, but Minute Maid certainly isn't the first park to feature such a delightful quirk. Forbes Field in Pittsburgh at one time featured a flagpole and a batting cage in deep center field. It was 457 to center field. Mantle hit one over the 457 sign in the 1960 World Series.

Ol' No. 2
10-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Old Tiger Stadium used to have a flagpole on the field of play out in its center field. Not to say it's a good idea, but Minute Maid certainly isn't the first park to feature such a delightful quirk.If they want quirky, why not put the flagpole right behind second base?:redneck

mike squires
10-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Can't wait to see Rowand make a diving catch on that hilll in Center.

DenverSock
10-21-2005, 09:15 AM
If they want quirky, why not put the flagpole right behind second base?:redneck

You made me laugh.:bandance: