PDA

View Full Version : Effects of Minute Maid Park on WS

So.ILSoxFan
10-20-2005, 02:45 AM
Running a quick team stats comparison (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?c_id=mlb&section1=null&statSet1=null&groupByTeam=true&statType=1&sortByStat=AVG&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2005&baseballScope=mlb&prevPage1=1&readBoxes=true&Submit=Submit&sitSplit=&box18=cha&box27=hou&compare.x=22&compare.y=5&checkBoxTotal=0) on MLB.com, we can see that the White Sox should have a better time parking balls over that 315 foot left-field wall (http://www.baseball-statistics.com/Ballparks/Hou/) than the Astros, who are now 39 HRs behind the pale hose including post-season play. How much do you think this will come into play? Visions of Paulies over-the-monster ALDS HR come to mind. Your Thoughts...

:cool:

putherawaywet
10-20-2005, 03:20 AM
Excellent point. We are definitely a more powerful team than the stros. My only reservation would be the fact that the cell has been considered a homerun haven. My theory has been that this was due to us having way above average power and below average pitching before this year. If we are correct, our hitters like Crede and Uribe, for example, may produce like thirty homer guys as opposed to twenty homer guys in their park.

PeteWard
10-20-2005, 04:58 AM
It could backfire. it seems that some of the worst hitting funks occured when the Sox were trying to pull everything out of the park.

I hate contrived effects in the new parks
And if Aaron gets injured on that stupid hill--with its flagpole INSIDE the wall--...:o:

SSN721
10-20-2005, 05:58 AM
I think overall it will be a plus for the Sox. It seems that they often hit good pitching as well or better then bad. That wall is awfully inviting though but it really seems like the team has done whatever necessary to put runs on the board and I havent seen too much of them just pulling the ball.

Coolpapa
10-20-2005, 06:08 AM
I'd like to see Crazy Carl Everett drive that choo choo they have:bandance:

elrod
10-20-2005, 08:31 AM
I could actually see Scott Podsednik getting an opposite field homer in Houston.

eriqjaffe
10-20-2005, 08:39 AM
Assuming the WS rotation is the same as the ALCS rotation, it'll be a huge plus to have Garcia and Garland starting in Houston - they had the best GB/FB ratios on the team (Garcia's was 1.47 and Garland's was 1.38). And the 'Stros can't hit the ball into the Crawford Boxes if they're grounding out to Uribe and Crede. ;)

Hokiesox
10-20-2005, 08:47 AM
I think the big X factor is the Center Field configuration. Unless we pull it, we're not going to hit 440 HR's all the time. Which means that the point about hitting funks and pulling the ball is very well taken. I hope our guys don't try to exclusively pull the ball into the left field seats.

I hope they just play their game, and I'm sure a few balls will be in the crawford impediments.

oeo
10-20-2005, 09:41 AM
It could backfire. it seems that some of the worst hitting funks occured when the Sox were trying to pull everything out of the park.

I hate contrived effects in the new parks
And if Aaron gets injured on that stupid hill--with its flagpole INSIDE the wall--...:o:

Why the hell do they even have a hill in center? Not only that but a big steel beam inside the fences. They've got walls all over the place so you can't tell what's a homerun or not. Minute Maid has to be one of the worst-designed new parks.

Not only that but they've got their real annoying "Killer Bee's". I'm not looking forward to hearing that for half the lineup.

kevin57
10-20-2005, 09:47 AM
No doubt that LF helps us hypothetically

but...

if we get too tempted to pull the ball and push too hard for a HR, it could be a minus, not a plus.

peeonwrigley
10-20-2005, 10:01 AM
Why the hell do they even have a hill in center? Not only that but a big steel beam inside the fences. They've got walls all over the place so you can't tell what's a homerun or not. Minute Maid has to be one of the worst-designed new parks.

Not only that but they've got their real annoying "Killer Bee's". I'm not looking forward to hearing that for half the lineup.

The place was "unique and quirky" in its first year. Now no one gives a damn and they're stuck playing in that crap for the foreseeable future. Screwy dementions are fine, whatever. But the crap with the hill, flagpole, and weird "is a homerun/isn't a homerun" ground rules have no place in a modern ballpark.

daveeym
10-20-2005, 10:13 AM
I think the big X factor is the Center Field configuration. Unless we pull it, we're not going to hit 440 HR's all the time. Which means that the point about hitting funks and pulling the ball is very well taken. I hope our guys don't try to exclusively pull the ball into the left field seats.

I hope they just play their game, and I'm sure a few balls will be in the crawford impediments. If they hit like they did in the first two rounds it's going to be a thing of beauty. Gap shots and balls rolling up that centerfield hill going for doubles and triples, a few "cheap" homeruns that wouldn't count in Shoota's stats and a big old party. If they get homer happy though it's going to be tough.

PatK
10-20-2005, 10:38 AM

The only thing that worries me is Aaron playing one to deep center.

Andyzipp
10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I think some of you are correct with your concerns about the Crawford boxes (short left field porch) in that visiting teams tend to get caught up trying to pull the ball over that 20 foot fence and turn over on a lot of pitches.

MMPUS actually plays pretty close to even as far as favoring pitching or hitting, so it's not quite the joke park that ESPN wants you to believe.

And for those concerned about the hill or the flagpole...the flagpole has been a factor on exactly one play in 6 seasons. The hill comes into play maybe twice a season.

That said, good pitching wins in Minute Maid. So there should be at least 2 good games there.

oeo
10-20-2005, 11:41 AM
I think some of you are correct with your concerns about the Crawford boxes (short left field porch) in that visiting teams tend to get caught up trying to pull the ball over that 20 foot fence and turn over on a lot of pitches.

MMPUS actually plays pretty close to even as far as favoring pitching or hitting, so it's not quite the joke park that ESPN wants you to believe.

And for those concerned about the hill or the flagpole...the flagpole has been a factor on exactly one play in 6 seasons. The hill comes into play maybe twice a season.

That said, good pitching wins in Minute Maid. So there should be at least 2 good games there.

Twice a season...I saw at least one in the playoffs already. You're telling me the ball is only hit to deep center field twice a season? Who puts a hill on a baseball field anyway?

And no matter how many times the flagpole (it's a flagpole?) comes into play, just the fact that it's there, on the field of play is enough. What if the second time is Aaron Rowand running into it. I want to know who designed that park because any modern ballpark should not have a pole in the field of play.

Andyzipp
10-20-2005, 12:22 PM
I have attended or watched all but a handful of Astros home games. Trust me when I tell you the front of the hill is 428' from home plate.

It's not easy to hit one out there. And I'm not exaggerating that a ball gets hit out there maybe twice a season.

For the record, the flag pole and the Tal's Hill were call backs to Tiger Stadium and Crosley Field. I agree there's no reason for them, but kind of like Roger Clemens is an ass, but he's our ass, those features are horrible, but they're our features.

And, ftr, the flagpole is 435' from home plate up the hill, (which is a 30 degree incline) Rowland won't run into it.

XplodingScorbord
10-20-2005, 12:36 PM
I have attended or watched all but a handful of Astros home games. Trust me when I tell you the front of the hill is 428' from home plate.

It's not easy to hit one out there. And I'm not exaggerating that a ball gets hit out there maybe twice a season.

For the record, the flag pole and the Tal's Hill were call backs to Tiger Stadium and Crosley Field. I agree there's no reason for them, but kind of like Roger Clemens is an ass, but he's our ass, those features are horrible, but they're our features.

And, ftr, the flagpole is 435' from home plate up the hill, (which is a 30 degree incline) Rowland won't run into it.

I like the cut of your jib, young man! :welcome:

eriqjaffe
10-20-2005, 12:39 PM
And, ftr, the flagpole is 435' from home plate up the hill, (which is a 30 degree incline) Rowland won't run into it.I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 12:47 PM

Welcome! I enjoyed your witty yet honest thoughts on Clemens and your ballpark's unique features. Now about Rowand...he doesn't get his nickname "Crash" for nothing. If there's something to run in to, he's probably going to do it.

Andyzipp
10-20-2005, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

So you're thinking that your pitching staff is going to give up a lot of 435' bombs to dead center?

How deep is the centerfield at New Comiskey? 400'? It's certainly not impossible to hit a ball out there in MMPUS, but it's not exactly probable.

Andyzipp
10-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Welcome! I enjoyed your witty yet honest thoughts on Clemens and your ballpark's unique features. Now about Rowand...he doesn't get his nickname "Crash" for nothing. If there's something to run in to, he's probably going to do it.

Okay, I see where you're coming from. In that case you need to worry about the bullpen "jut-outs" in left center and just to the right of center.

Lots of fun stuff to run into out of there.

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Okay, I see where you're coming from. In that case you need to worry about the bullpen "jut-outs" in left center and just to the right of center.

Lots of fun stuff to run into out of there.

Well, I hope he checks it over out there! Like you, I don't think our pitchers will give up too many 435' bombs to center, but it has happened...

oeo
10-20-2005, 12:56 PM

Isn't there a beam in the field of play as well? Like in left-center field. And if you don't think Rowand won't run into it, you don't know Rowand. He runs at the wall as if there is not a wall there at all.

mattcoz
10-20-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm sure if Pants was alive he wouldn't be running into it, but Aaron Rowand might, he's crazy like that.

Andyzipp
10-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Isn't there a beam in the field of play as well? Like in left-center field. And if you don't think Rowand won't run into it, you don't know Rowand. He runs at the wall as if there is not a wall there at all.

You're thinking of the Visitor's Bullpen...and the columns are flat and padded (and thanks to our owner have advetising on them) and the screens are flush. No real dangers that you wouldn't find in other parks.

MRKARNO
10-20-2005, 04:33 PM
I think Minute Maid Park can work to our advantage. I do think the pitchers will be more liable to give up HRs, but if they keep the ball in play towards the middle of the field, they'll be fine. Rowand will be able to track those down. On the other hand, we have a lot of right handed power hitters that can take advantage of that short porch. Konerko, Dye, Iguchi, Crede and Uribe all have a good shot at doing so.

HotelWhiteSox
10-20-2005, 04:38 PM
I am looking forward to the Sox playing there, though I'm not sure how they'll do against Oswalt, so I expect a high scoring Game 4. The better weather should help the Sox bats as well in Houston

na_na_na_na
10-20-2005, 04:41 PM
I don't think this is a disadvantage for the sox. They are ground ball pitchers so the short porch shouldn't be much of a factor.

Corlose 15
10-20-2005, 04:58 PM

Minute Maid park is highly mediocre IMO. The park is way too gimicky with that stupid hill and flag pole and the fact that the visitors bullpen is tucked away in a tunnel behind the left field wall. Its clean, new, and nice but the game presentation is lacking. With the roof closed it feels like you're at an NBA game. They have people on those scooter things passing out T-shirts before the game, the center field video board is a flat screen TV, and they have hummer races. Also, anyone who complains about USCF's upper deck should go to Houston some time.

zach074
10-20-2005, 05:43 PM
The only thing im worried about is that buzzing driving me nuts!:mad:

Randar68
10-20-2005, 06:04 PM

I hope they just play their game, and I'm sure a few balls will be in the crawford impediments.

People have to remember that we're not facing a poor pitching team... those guys are experienced veterans who know how to pitch to the big parts of the park... You just have to force the issue and take advantage of mistakes when the pitchers throw them... just like you always do when facing good pitching.

oeo
10-20-2005, 06:56 PM

Yeah, that has to be close to the most annoying thing ever. Who came up with "Killer Bee's", sounds like an original, creative idea...

VA_GoGoSox
10-20-2005, 11:16 PM
People have to remember that we're not facing a poor pitching team... those guys are experienced veterans who know how to pitch to the big parts of the park... You just have to force the issue and take advantage of mistakes when the pitchers throw them... just like you always do when facing good pitching.

It is for this reason that I look for Rowand to have a big series. In my opinion, he is at his best when he is driving pitches to the opposite field for base hits. As long as he goes with those pitches and doesn't try to pull everything, I think he can have some big games in MMP.

soxfan1965
10-21-2005, 12:29 AM

Or if they play a tune like this incessently (as in the fight song of the former Houston Oilers played over & over in the Astrodome):

'Cause we're the Houston Astros, Houston Astros,
Houston Astros, Number One - Five - Seven - Eight,
We're the best from the Lone Star State!
Houston Astros, Houston Astros,
Houston Astros, Number One.

HotelWhiteSox
10-21-2005, 12:39 AM

Oh man, I forgot about that, I can't stand that ****, kind of turned me off to the televised games during the DS after about the 486th consecutive time it was played

brewcrew/chisox
10-21-2005, 12:57 AM

The thing is that the Sox have done well at Fenway, another strange ballpark configured somewhat similar to Houston's. I don't see them trying to pull everything, but I do see Paulie crushing one out that place (should that be in pink?). My only concern is Berkman hitting those cheap opposite field homeruns if we pitch him outside.

Nellie_Fox
10-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Also, anyone who complains about USCF's upper deck should go to Houston some time.Thanks for confirming that. I thought the upper deck there looked insanely high and steep. Will we see fans stand up to cheer and plummet to the field below??

oeo
10-21-2005, 08:05 AM
Oh man, I forgot about that, I can't stand that ****, kind of turned me off to the televised games during the DS after about the 486th consecutive time it was played

Yeah, do you really have to play that damn sound every time? We get the point, everyone on the Astros has a "B" in their name. So what?

And Astros fans seem to love it. They get quiet for the sound, so everybody can hear it loud and clear. And they wear their bee suits and other bee paraphenilia.

"Killer Bees" = lame

So.ILSoxFan
10-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Me thinks the short porch works to our advantage so long as we forget it is there.

Most of us can remember the 2004 White Sox who looked to play home run derby every at bat, I don't want to see a repeat of that simply because the Juicebox has a short porch. Hopefully our sluggers look for something to drive, but don't go up every at bat drooling over that wall only to hack miserably at pitches in the dirt, etc....

I trust these guys and Ozzie, I think we'll be fine, regardless of the porch.

:cool: