PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who likes the deal?


kermittheefrog
12-12-2001, 05:37 PM
I like it. I'm kinda sad to see Garland go but really all the guy had going for him was youth and a soft ERA. I was amazed at how he managed to keep his ERA low the way he pitched. His control was weak, he allowed a lot of homers and he didnt strike anybody out. Really -- young pitchers that don't get an average number of strikeouts don't succeed longterm. Look back at Mark "The Bird" Fidrych's career. He won 19 games at 21 but didn't strike anybody out, he was done by the time he turned 24.

Darin Erstad when healthy is a better leadoff man than Ichiro. Look at Ichiro this year, he's MVP but can't touch Erstad's 2000 season. And Singleton? Ha.

The only way this trade could be bad is if we give up Malone and Borchard as the prospects.

:)

Daver
12-12-2001, 05:42 PM
I don't have a problem with the trade per se,but I would have liked to see Kip go instead of Garland.

I think one of the minor leaguers will be Berry-Barry

kermittheefrog
12-12-2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by daver
I don't have a problem with the trade per se,but I would have liked to see Kip go instead of Garland.

I think one of the minor leaguers will be Berry-Barry

I'd say itt probably isn't that simple. Kind of like when a ton of people asked why we didn't give up Parque in the Wells deal.

And Kip versus Garland? Well I'll take Kip because his career K/BB ratio isn't 103/95. That's just god-awful.

dougs78
12-12-2001, 05:46 PM
I think one of the minor leaguers will be Berry-Barry

Unfortunately I think Berry-Barry is already released as a 6 year minor leaguer, but hey, the good news was I hear he had a great pinch hit at bat for Charlotte....oh whats that? he's a pitcher? Well, then why was he batting..... :)

Spiff
12-12-2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I like it. I'm kinda sad to see Garland go but really all the guy had going for him was youth and a soft ERA. I was amazed at how he managed to keep his ERA low the way he pitched. His control was weak, he allowed a lot of homers and he didnt strike anybody out. Really -- young pitchers that don't get an average number of strikeouts don't succeed longterm. Look back at Mark "The Bird" Fidrych's career. He won 19 games at 21 but didn't strike anybody out, he was done by the time he turned 24.

Darin Erstad when healthy is a better leadoff man than Ichiro. Look at Ichiro this year, he's MVP but can't touch Erstad's 2000 season. And Singleton? Ha.

The only way this trade could be bad is if we give up Malone and Borchard as the prospects.

:)

Aha for once I agree with you!

Erstad is a good player remember a few years ago he set the single season hits record. He will also put people in the seats so maybe JR will spend more money. Well actually no that won't happen but who knows. I think only good things can come of this.

jklm
12-12-2001, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
I don't have a problem with the trade per se,but I would have liked to see Kip go instead of Garland.

I think one of the minor leaguers will be Berry-Barry

The other minor leaguer will be Mike Williams, the one who flunked physicals with the Jays.

czalgosz
12-12-2001, 05:49 PM
I'm not as upset as I thought I would be. Kermit, you're definitely right about Garland. The Sox used him very, very carefully last season, and I seem to remember lots of times when he got pulled with runners on base and the guys backing him up bailed him out. 55/61 for a BB-K ratio is not very good.

I'm not trying to justify the trade, I'm just saying that maybe Garland isn't all he's cracked up to be, now that I think about it. a WHIP of 1.52 is certainly nothing to write home about. to give you an idea, Kip's last season was about the same - 1.54. They were equivalent pitchers in terms of getting people out, it's just Garland got a bit luckier in terms of opponents scoring.

CerberusWG
12-12-2001, 05:50 PM
I like this trade. One, we get rid of Slow Swing, which open up a spot for maybe Roawnd, and Borchard soon. Two, Garland is gone. I know I may be flamed for this, but Garland's stuff wasn't really as good as it was hyped to be. Yes, he is 21, and he does have an upside, but with Nardi we might of not gotten the most out of him as we could.

The only way this trade is good is if we can lock up Erstad for 3-4 years.

bringbackrobin
12-12-2001, 05:50 PM
Kermit, is that you? We give up a promising young pitcher and a couple of prospects for 1 year of an overrated, overpaid veteran coming off of an awful year and you like the trade? What's up with that?

kermittheefrog
12-12-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Wh1teSox00


Aha for once I agree with you!

Erstad is a good player remember a few years ago he set the single season hits record. He will also put people in the seats so maybe JR will spend more money. Well actually no that won't happen but who knows. I think only good things can come of this.

It's not just once. I completely agree with you on the get rid of Singleton and Clayton thing.

Erstad didn't quite set the single season hits record, his season was 12th all time, 17 short of tying Sisler but it was a damn good season nonetheless.

jklm
12-12-2001, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by CerberusWG
I like this trade. One, we get rid of Slow Swing, which open up a spot for maybe Roawnd, and Borchard soon. Two, Garland is gone. I know I may be flamed for this, but Garland's stuff wasn't really as good as it was hyped to be. Yes, he is 21, and he does have an upside, but with Nardi we might of not gotten the most out of him as we could.

The only way this trade is good is if we can lock up Erstad for 3-4 years.

Besides, it will depend on Erstad's health and who the two PTBNL will be. Hopefully they will be position players in our lower minors because most of them are brutal...

CerberusWG
12-12-2001, 05:53 PM
Also, Jon is going back to CA where he was born.

Jon, this song is for you...

Incubus - Nice to Know You

kermittheefrog
12-12-2001, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by bringbackrobin
Kermit, is that you? We give up a promising young pitcher and a couple of prospects for 1 year of an overrated, overpaid veteran coming off of an awful year and you like the trade? What's up with that?

He may be a veteran but he's still just 28 next year. That means he has a minimum 3 or 4 years left. Plus he's got good "young player" skills, hitting for average and base stealing, those kind of guys last a little longer than everyone else anyway. His career .293/.352/.441 split is more than adequate.

We got rid of Singleton! Garland wasn't that promising anyway. We don't know the minor leaguers yet but if they were any good we would know who they are by now.