PDA

View Full Version : Well there goes our only celeb fan.

antitwins13
10-19-2005, 11:05 PM
As a Sox fan I'm proud to say that for the most part we're celeb fan free. I'm glad we have a blue-colar atmosphere at our games, but this year I kept hearing how James Denton from "Desperate Houswives" was a Sox fan and would be pulling for us. However, the reality is he likes Houston more than us. So, congrats Sox fans we're celeb free.http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:BtBunE6qmM4J:a.abc.com/primetime/desperate/images/bios/denton.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://a.abc.com/primetime/desperate/images/bios/denton.jpg&imgrefurl=http://abc.go.com/primetime/desperate/bios/james_denton.html&h=211&w=166&sz=9&tbnid=BtBunE6qmM4J:&tbnh=101&tbnw=79&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djames%2Bdenton%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D)

Nellie_Fox
10-19-2005, 11:08 PM
No team is celebrity-free during a World Series. I guarantee you'll see all sorts of famous people sporting silver and black, just like when I had to suffer through seeing Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell at the last day of old Comiskey Park when I didn't have a chance in hell of getting a ticket.

Chips
10-19-2005, 11:15 PM
:pee celebrities

gehrtsox7
10-20-2005, 12:38 AM
James Denton is a huge Cubs fan, he used to work at Harry Carry's restaurant. My prediction is that Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston announce that they are a couple at the World Series!

Nellie_Fox
10-20-2005, 12:44 AM
My prediction is that Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston announce that they are a couple at the World Series!Whoop-de-doo.

TheOldRoman
10-20-2005, 12:47 AM
James Denton is a huge Cubs fan, he used to work at Harry Carry's restaurant. My prediction is that Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Aniston announce that they are a couple at the World Series!
Well, he did work at Harry Caray's, but he said he was more of a Sox fan. The Cubs slapped a Cubs jersey on him when he went to the Urinal during the Sox series, but he said he liked the Sox more than the Cubs. I believe he wasn't originally from Chicago, so he became a "Chicago fan" when he moved here, but he said he always pulled for the Sox over the Cubs.
Either way, who cares? As long as Bill Murray, John Cusack, Jim Belushi, and Fester Corrigan don't show up in the Scout Seats, I dont care.

gehrtsox7
10-20-2005, 12:58 AM
I like James Denton, I guess its good to hear he's a Sox fan.

Banix12
10-20-2005, 01:38 AM
As a Sox fan I'm proud to say that for the most part we're celeb fan free. I'm glad we have a blue-colar atmosphere at our games, but this year I kept hearing how James Denton from "Desperate Houswives" was a Sox fan and would be pulling for us. However, the reality is he likes Houston more than us. So, congrats Sox fans we're celeb free.http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:BtBunE6qmM4J:a.abc.com/primetime/desperate/images/bios/denton.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://a.abc.com/primetime/desperate/images/bios/denton.jpg&imgrefurl=http://abc.go.com/primetime/desperate/bios/james_denton.html&h=211&w=166&sz=9&tbnid=BtBunE6qmM4J:&tbnh=101&tbnw=79&hl=en&start=3&prev=/images%3Fq%3Djames%2Bdenton%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D)

Here's something I don't get. Why does celebrites rooting for or against a team become a big deal to a lot of people here?

What if a white sox fan grew up his whole life watching the sox and was a huge fan and he became a celebrity? By your logic can he no longer root for this team because we have a "blue collar atmosphere"? Just because that person does a job that brings him a lot of accolades and fame they aren't allowed?

If someone wants to root for the white sox, fine. If someone doesn't want to, fine, it's their choice and I have no problem with that. That goes for every person who is a fan of baseball, famous or not, sincere fan or bandwagoner

I'd also argue that the white sox are far more White Collar than Blue Collar anyway. We have this history and mythos of being blue collar but I seriously think a lot of that is in the past and the atmosphere is much different these days from what little I remember from old comiskey park, or even from when new comiskey opened. Blue Collar attitude, maybe we still have some of that. As for the actual jobs of most of the people in the seats these days, probably not so much blue collar these days.

Anyway, we're never celeb free. We're stuck with Dennis DeYoung from Styx.

TDog
10-20-2005, 01:42 AM
I wonder how this man feels about me being a Sox fan. He's never heard of me, but we're even. I've never heard of him.

getonbckthr
10-20-2005, 02:51 AM
we have celebrities cmon LAURENCE HOLMES is a huge sox fan.

patbooyah
10-20-2005, 03:24 AM
I like James Denton, I guess its good to hear he's a Sox fan.

about an hour and a half after the sox won the alcs, denton was still standing behind me by the dugout in full sox garb clapping and having a good time. i'm guessing he is a sox fan.

just because the cubs like to parade their celeb faux-fans around doesn't mean we should be ashamed if successful people like our team.

Steelrod
10-20-2005, 06:20 AM
Here's something I don't get. Why does celebrites rooting for or against a team become a big deal to a lot of people here?

What if a white sox fan grew up his whole life watching the sox and was a huge fan and he became a celebrity? By your logic can he no longer root for this team because we have a "blue collar atmosphere"? Just because that person does a job that brings him a lot of accolades and fame they aren't allowed?

If someone wants to root for the white sox, fine. If someone doesn't want to, fine, it's their choice and I have no problem with that. That goes for every person who is a fan of baseball, famous or not, sincere fan or bandwagoner

I'd also argue that the white sox are far more White Collar than Blue Collar anyway. We have this history and mythos of being blue collar but I seriously think a lot of that is in the past and the atmosphere is much different these days from what little I remember from old comiskey park, or even from when new comiskey opened. Blue Collar attitude, maybe we still have some of that. As for the actual jobs of most of the people in the seats these days, probably not so much blue collar these days.

Nah. He blew us off after 1994 work stoppage!

mrs. hendu
10-20-2005, 07:57 AM
I'd also argue that the white sox are far more White Collar than Blue Collar anyway.
Amen to that, finally someone noticed. There's nothing blue collar about me or mu husband and we're Sox fans. There are more people like that. Just like saying that only southsiders are Sox fans - look what train people take after games - the one going to the northside. In the past the distinction may have been clearer, but times change.

TomBradley72
10-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Among the things that are 100% irrelevent regarding the Chicago White Sox:

What the Chicago media thinks about the White Sox.
What the national media thinks about the White Sox.
What Cub fans think about the White Sox.
What celebrities are fans of the White Sox.
What IS 100% relevent:

The 25 players on the roster
White Sox Management (Ozzie, coaches, KW, JR, Brooks, etc.)
All of the "alumni" of the organization
The current/past fans that have been with them through it all.

SSN721
10-20-2005, 08:29 AM

I have no problem with Styx :D:

Jerko
10-20-2005, 09:08 AM

Me neither. I really don't know why DeYoung gets bashed in every single one of these celebrity threads. The man is home-grown and has been a Sox fan for years. Plus, Styx was pretty damn good back in the day. Gee, no love for 2 pretty damn good voices (DeYoung and Steve Perry, I see he's been getting bashed in other threads) but we all fawn over clowns like Vince ****in Vaughn and Bernie Mac. :rolleyes:

spiffie
10-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Me neither. I really don't know why DeYoung gets bashed in every single one of these celebrity threads. The man is home-grown and has been a Sox fan for years. Plus, Styx was pretty damn good back in the day. Gee, no love for 2 pretty damn good voices (DeYoung and Steve Perry, I see he's been getting bashed in other threads) but we all fawn over clowns like Vince ****in Vaughn and Bernie Mac. :rolleyes:
I will be full of retro-80's glee if Steve Perry makes an appearance. But Dennis DeYoung is Billy Corgan's archetype, a whiny "auteur" control-freak who pissed off everyone around him all the while going "why don't people like me?"

That said, I don't want celebrities at the game, because that's just one (or 5 considering their entourage) seat that won't be willing to get into the game for fear of looking uncool.

Shorty1983
10-20-2005, 09:36 AM
In the words of Bernie Mac in the offseason "we traded C.Lee for a bag of balls".

We'll Bernie Mac, that man they call Scott Podsednik was the key catalyst to our great team. It will be a disgusting to sight him at the world series, maybe uncle Jerry can ban him from the ballpark.

Jerko
10-20-2005, 10:00 AM
I will be full of retro-80's glee if Steve Perry makes an appearance. But Dennis DeYoung is Billy Corgan's archetype, a whiny "auteur" control-freak who pissed off everyone around him all the while going "why don't people like me?"

That said, I don't want celebrities at the game, because that's just one (or 5 considering their entourage) seat that won't be willing to get into the game for fear of looking uncool.

That may be true, but I doubt that's why he gets dissed here in every single thread. People act like the man never had any talent. I don't even know why I'm in this thread because I really don't CARE which celebs are Sox fans, and I do agree with you about not wanting them at the game. Who cares? The game is all that matters.

skottyj242
10-20-2005, 10:20 AM
We still have Jordan, I'm sure he'll be in Uncle Jerry's box puffing a cigar.

bigsoxfan420
10-20-2005, 10:23 AM
People are forgetting the West-sides own Bernie Mac.

gobears1987
10-20-2005, 11:08 AM
In the words of Bernie Mac in the offseason "we traded C.Lee for a bag of balls".

We'll Bernie Mac, that man they call Scott Podsednik was the key catalyst to our great team. It will be a disgusting to sight him at the world series, maybe uncle Jerry can ban him from the ballpark.While I was for the trade, you can't ban him for that. If that were true Hangar would never be allowed into Comiskey. He basically said the same thing.

Jerko
10-20-2005, 11:09 AM
While I was for the trade, you can't ban him for that. If that were true Hangar would never be allowed into Comiskey. He basically said the same thing.

True, but in Hangar's defense, he was wearing this at the time:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/66/Foilhat2.jpg/300px-Foilhat2.jpg

Uncle_Patrick
10-20-2005, 11:16 AM
While I was for the trade, you can't ban him for that. If that were true Hangar would never be allowed into Comiskey. He basically said the same thing.

Hangar never said he was done with the Sox, though. He certainly never appeared in Cubbie Blue. Bernie did both those things.

greenpeach
10-20-2005, 11:24 AM

I do have a problem with that crappy "Run, Sox, Run" video that they used to run at the old Comiskey. I would rather be celeb-free then have that crap on the jumbo tron.

Norberto7
10-20-2005, 12:09 PM
I really don't know why DeYoung gets bashed in every single one of these celebrity threads.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the feeling I got was that it was sort of a running joke, as in it was funny that the biggest "celebrity" Sox fan was Dennis DeYoung. I know who Styx is (are?), but aside from his noteworthiness as a Sox fan, I doubt I could have told you what the name of the lead singer of Styx is.

I didn't get the feeling people were "bashing" him as much as highlighting his in this case comical position as "most famous celebrity Sox fan".

I think it's funny, anyways. But, I like it that way. :D:

Jerko
10-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the feeling I got was that it was sort of a running joke, as in it was funny that the biggest "celebrity" Sox fan was Dennis DeYoung. I know who Styx is (are?), but aside from his noteworthiness as a Sox fan, I doubt I could have told you what the name of the lead singer of Styx is.

I didn't get the feeling people were "bashing" him as much as highlighting his in this case comical position as "most famous celebrity Sox fan".

I think it's funny, anyways. But, I like it that way. :D:

I take it as everybody is saying the man sucks, then 2 seconds later they're gushing over such talented people like Bernie Mac, Vince Vaughn, and Mike Denton or whatever his name is in the next breath. I find that funny so I guess it all evens out.

RichFitztightly
10-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Fester Corrigan

:roflmao: HaHaHaHaHAAAA!!! Awe, that jiggled my gut.

MsSoxVixen22
10-20-2005, 12:57 PM

Hey I agree! I may only be 22 but I like Journey! I'd rather have "old school" rock stars at the Cell than celeb wannabe Sox fans!

jmcts
10-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Styx was okay until the "Domo Origato, Mr. Roboto" phase. So Dennis DeYoung is okay.

Personally, I have always like John Cusack and don't understand why everyone seems to hate him. Being a non-native, non-resident Chicagoan, could someone please illuminate me on this?

Of course it would be better to give all of the true fans tickets to the WS, but when they're selling them for thousands of dollars, who but Vince Vaughn and Jennifer Anniston can go?

These days, I doubt even Dennis DeYoung can afford those prices.

mrs. hendu
10-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Sun-Times has an article saying to Sox fans:

"You're better educated, wealthier and more white-collar than the general public. In short, you're almost identical -- gulp -- to Cubs fans."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-soxfan20.html

RadioheadRocks
10-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Hey, where has George Wendt been? He's widely known as a White Sox fan but he's been mysteriously quiet during this post-season.

Unregistered
10-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Hey, where has George Wendt been? He's widely known as a White Sox fan but he's been mysteriously quiet during this post-season.He's been quiet since "Cheers" ended.

George Wendt and the dude from Styx. Followed by a dozen other C and D-list "celebrities" who root for whatever Chicago team is doing well because it's good PR. Yipee.

I think it's officially time to give the "Celebrity fans of the White Sox" thing a rest. We're not that kinda team and that's a good thing. Few things are more annoying than watching guys like Ben Affleck sitting in the front row of a playoff game.

Dick Allen
10-20-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey, where has George Wendt been? He's widely known as a White Sox fan but he's been mysteriously quiet during this post-season.I saw him interviewed on TV the other day. He was ecstatic.

NardiWasHere
10-20-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm setting the over/under on Kanye West sightings at 3....

I'll take the over.

Banix12
10-20-2005, 06:07 PM
I think it's officially time to give the "Celebrity fans of the White Sox" thing a rest. We're not that kinda team and that's a good thing. Few things are more annoying than watching guys like Ben Affleck sitting in the front row of a playoff game.

This is what I was arguing about. Why, in the view of a lot of people here, are celebrities not allowed to root for the White Sox?

Celebrites are people too and if they want to root for the white sox that's their decision but I don't get why they should be not allowed in the fanbase.

Certainly I'd like it to be a sincere appreciation for the team, but everybody is different.

Unregistered
10-20-2005, 06:18 PM
This is what I was arguing about. Why, in the view of a lot of people here, are celebrities not allowed to root for the White Sox?

Celebrites are people too and if they want to root for the white sox that's their decision but I don't get why they should be not allowed in the fanbase.

Certainly I'd like it to be a sincere appreciation for the team, but everybody is different.
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but you quoted my post so I'll respond.

The point is, the White Sox have been slapped and kicked around (when they weren't being ignored) by the media for years - with NO ONE in the public eye coming to their defense. Hell, even Bernie Mac, who apparently was one of the few "celebrity" fans we had, turned his back on the Sox (on the air) in the offseason - much to the delight of the cast of The Best Damn Sports Show Period.

Now that the celebrity bandwagon has shown up and wants to be accepted with open arms, they're getting a big middle finger from die-hards who stood by this team the whole time.

Realist
10-20-2005, 08:06 PM
I saw him interviewed on TV the other day. He was ecstatic.

I'm sorry I missed that. George Wendt is one of us. He's been a die hard Sox fan for as long as I can remember.

Daver
10-20-2005, 08:15 PM
He's been quiet since "Cheers" ended.

I know George's mother was in failing health a year and half or so ago, I did a service call at his childhood home, where his mother still lives.

Banix12
10-20-2005, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me, but you quoted my post so I'll respond.

The point is, the White Sox have been slapped and kicked around (when they weren't being ignored) by the media for years - with NO ONE in the public eye coming to their defense. Hell, even Bernie Mac, who apparently was one of the few "celebrity" fans we had, turned his back on the Sox (on the air) in the offseason - much to the delight of the cast of The Best Damn Sports Show Period.

Now that the celebrity bandwagon has shown up and wants to be accepted with open arms, they're getting a big middle finger from die-hards who stood by this team the whole time.

Here's the thing, we don't have a roster of celebrities and what their affiliations are. Maybe some of them were actually sox fans to begin with and we just never knew about it because 1) most people didn't care and 2) the media ignored the sox and their fans and it stands to reason they would also ignore celebrity fans. I'm sure there are some celebrity fans out there that root for the Pirates or Marlins but we sure as hell don't hear about them.

bernie mac is just one example as is the guy who started this thread, but there maybe more, and as for both of these guys we don't know to what level they are fans, die-hard or just casual. I just don't see any point to ripping on a celebrity just because he or she wants to go see a game.

I also don't believe the dude from "Desperate Housewives" constitutes a celebrity bandwagon.

seanpmurphy
10-20-2005, 08:27 PM
I don't think its that the people here are anti-celebrity or anything, it's just old fasioned suspicion and cynicism. They ARE celebrities. They're masters at manipulating things to promote themselves. This could be a bad example but I'm going with it anyway: Kanye West's ridiculous George Bush comment during an aid tele-thon in the midst of an album release. We've seen stuff like this before in the media. I agree with a lot of people. I dont want the Sox team to be bastardized by some overpaid celebrity who probably puts out ****ty movies every 6 months for a big PR event. If they want to come to the game, have a beer and watch the game. That's great. But when the cameras start getting in your face, just ignore it, otherwise it's kind of hard to believe you're not doing it for publicity. Also, if all these people are supposedly fans, where are they? Why are they so quiet? I just don't get. I mean, do we really want the type of attention Jennifer and Bennifer got when the Yankees and Red Sox were playing? Hell no. We want to concentrate on the game.

If at any point I stopped making sense in this rant I apologize cause I'm just letting loose and not proof reading a god damn thing.:angry:

antitwins13
10-20-2005, 08:54 PM

He's not a celebrity.

mrs. hendu
11-10-2005, 09:52 AM
I just saw James Denton on Oprah's Wildest Dreams. Apparently in May he was at Fenway and even threw the first pitch at a RED Sox game.

Steelrod
11-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Now that Cusack has come crawling to Jr, we'll see how often he shows up at the Cell next year. Or is he only a post season "fan" of our boys!