PDA

View Full Version : Try to look at the bright side fellas

Critque
12-12-2001, 06:26 PM
i know most of you guys are pissed about this supposed trade, but I am trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel. If and I mean if, Erstads returns to the player that he was in 2000, this may be a good deal. He is a great defensive outfielder and he does something most of our guys have a problem with... runs the bases well. I do agree getting a guy at the final year of his contract can risky, but it might work out

Yes losing Garland will hurt. I think he is going to be a good pitcher, but we have enough pitchers in the farm, to where one if not two will pan out. Also with the accustion of Erstad, I think Lee is as good as gone. Lee has some good value. I think he would be better valued in the american league, considering his defense. But package him with someone else and it should bring back a quality starter.

So all I'm saying fellas is let give it a chance and see. It was said that Erstad had a lot of personal problems last year. Hopefully he has gotten past that and returns to being that great player he once was. A new enviroment may do him good.

Also you don't have to worry about Buerle going any where. That was the sticking point in the Giles talks. Pittsburgh wanted buerle lee, and maybe a minor leaguer for Giles and Richie. The Sox offered everyone else (even Rauch) except Buerle. So I think that he is safe, unless Mr Williams gets another brain cramp.

dougs78
12-12-2001, 06:30 PM
Agreed. I like your style critique. One thing to think about also, is how Angels fans feel about this. I bet they are toasted right now thinking how stupid their ownership is for trading away one of their best players for a 4th outfielder and an unproven pitcher. It remains to be seen how this deal turns out but there are 2 ways to look at it.

heck I even saw where there were some Mets fans who were PO'd about trading away Escobar yesterday, saying that it was a terrible deal. But most of the world thinks that getting the proven player makes lots of sense.

Jjav829
12-12-2001, 06:33 PM
I agree. I say give this deal some time. I don't know what to think right now. I love how hard Erstad plays, and I DO think we will sign him to an extension. However, who knows what Garland will do. He could become a Cy Young winner, or he could follow the line of our other pitchers and tear his labrum. It's a risky trade. Theres nothing saying he will be good or not. Bottom line is if we want to get better we HAVE to take risks. As much as we would like to take every bad player and trade them for good players we can't. Don't bother flaming me because Im leaving and gonna not think about this trade, and just wait til the morning to decide on the trade.

AsInWreck
12-12-2001, 06:39 PM
Yes, but JG is the only one of the young arms who
looked like he was ready to have a good season.

czalgosz
12-12-2001, 06:41 PM
Well, Boston Gammons said on Sportscenter that a return to the Midwest would help Erstad (he's from ND) - but wasn't he playing through assorted injuries last season?

Erstad has had three good seasons ('97, '98,'00) and two bad ones ('99, '01). If he plays like he did last year, this will be a terrible trade (Carlos Lee had a better year) but if he plays even like he did in '98, then he'll be exactly what the Sox have been missing - a solid lefty bat at the top of the lineup. that would enable the Sox to drop Durham to the 2 hole, where he belongs IMO, and bat Valentin 6th. That would give us this lineup for 2002 -

1. Erstad - CF
2. Durham - 2B
3. Thomas - DH
4. Ordonez - RF
5. Konerko - 1B
6. Valentin - 3B
7. Lee - LF
8. M. Johnson - C
9. Clayton - SS

That lineup has some potential. Of course, it could all blow up in our faces, too...

dougs78
12-12-2001, 06:43 PM
Yes, but JG is the only one of the young arms who looked like he was ready to have a good season.

I know Wreck, and that is what makes it somewhat sad to see him go, but its also probably the only reason this deal got done in the first place.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
7. Lee - LF

He might be traded for pitching. So it could very well be Rowand.