PDA

View Full Version : Time to welcome Houston to the CELL

Theanticub
10-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Hmm can anyone say pitcher's duel?

DumpJerry
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Well, we're the franchise with all the WS experience. The 'Stros should just learn from us on bended knee.

Theanticub
10-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Well, we're the franchise with all the WS experience. The 'Stros should just learn from us on bended knee.

haha good point. Sucks too, I was hoping for a cards / sox series.

DumpJerry
10-19-2005, 10:24 PM
haha good point. Sucks too, I was hoping for a cards / sox series.
Yeah, I was going to enjoy watching Flub fans twist in the wind.....sigh...

LET'S KICK SOME 'STROS!!!!!:D:

cleanwsox
10-19-2005, 10:25 PM
I love whopping up on 40 year old Hall of Famers.

Theanticub
10-19-2005, 10:25 PM

Yeah haha, I was thinking the same thing. Wonder if that was a good idea for them starting clemens in game one. AL ballpark can bring much different results w/ an extra bat in the lineup.

Dan Mega
10-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Clemens and Oswalt are unbelievable pitchers. Petitte and Lidge will make it tougher. Houston is a hell of a ballclub.

Should be a good series! GO SOX!

schmitty9800
10-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I think we can scratch out more baserunners than them. Then it'll all come down to clutch hitting.

Of course, we have a deeper bullpen, raring to go.

Should be great.

SoxSpeed22
10-19-2005, 10:27 PM
This should easily be our toughest opponent. We have not faced a pitching staff like theirs. However, they have not faced one like ours.
We beat Boston's lineup, we beat LA's versitility, WE CAN WIN.

TheOldRoman
Congrats to the Astros. I still think the Cardinals were a much better team, but the injuries did them in. The Cardinals looked dead tonight, and they made Oswalt look like the greatest pitcher of all time.

I hope Houston enjoys the celebration. I don't think they will be getting another one until possibly winning the Wild Card next year.

soxwon
I said it about LA

Ill Say it again.
"This Will Be Easy" Sox in 5

Theanticub
Only problem I see with the Houston club, is that they do not have the speed we have. They do love to squeeze though which can be a pain in the ass.

Chips
10-19-2005, 10:28 PM
I said it about LA

Ill Say it again.

How about the Sox in 4.:D:

VivaOzzie
10-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Is it just me, or did the Sox seem way more pumped when they clinched?? It seemed like it was just more of a sigh of relief for the Astros. I definitely like our team chemistry and drive more then theirs.

SoxSpeed22
10-19-2005, 10:29 PM
Is it just me, or did the Sox seem way more pumped when they clinched?? It seemed like it was just more of a sigh of relief for the Astros. I definitely like our team chemistry and drive more then theirs.Eye of the Tiger!

TheOldRoman
10-19-2005, 10:30 PM
This should easily be our toughest opponent. We have not faced a pitching staff like theirs. However, they have not faced one like ours.
LA is a much better team than Houston. Last time Clemens was in the AL, it was a fairly mediocre pitcher. The NL is a much weaker league, which is why Clemens has become the story he has the past two years.

The Dude
10-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Clemens will be one tough game one starter. We need to get to him early and often! That should set the tone for the series. Games 3-5 will be obviously with the Astros advantage playing in the NL ballpark without the DH and our pitchers batting. Should be a pretty damn good series. Cheers to our 4 big starters with 4 more solid outings to bring home the crown!

Hendu
10-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I see Carl having a huge series. He loves to hit the fasball, and he'll be going up against a couple of fasball pitchers.

I also think our mostly right-handed line-up will take advantage of that short porch in Houston.

There are a lot of easy outs in the Stros line-up too.

CHISOXFAN13
10-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm salivating at the thought of the Sox hitters attacking that short porch in left field.

I think this series ends quickly.

Daver
10-19-2005, 10:34 PM
Thank you Houston.

Paul Konerko, Jermaine Dye, and Tad Iguchi are looking forward to the 315 foot porch in left field.

gf2020
10-19-2005, 10:34 PM
If I had could have picked a world series before this season, this would be it. The Astors are actually my NL affiliate and second favorite team. I know it causes some to gag, but I have such reverence for Roger Clemens and he is maybe my favorite non-White Sox MLB player--a warrior in every sense of the word. I love Bagwell and Biggio as well and I am very glad they have made the series.

Now, let's go out and ****ing destroy them ****ers.

antitwins13
10-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Hmm can anyone say pitcher's duel?

Maybe someone can help me out on this, but it seems to me the last time we faced the rocket in New York we tee'd off on him for over 10 runs and the Big Hurt went deep off the foul pole.

DumpJerry
10-19-2005, 10:35 PM
We have a bullpen?
Seriously, this will be a phenomenal pitchers' duel. However, they have three stud starters. We have four. We have AJ. We have Ozzie. Apparently we have Ronnie Woo Woo.

kevingrt
10-19-2005, 10:36 PM
You think you met a good pitching staff with Mulder and Carpenter or Wood, Prior, Zambo, etc.

Well they can find Contreras and Buehrle right up herein Bridgeport. As for Garcia and Garland, well the buzzing bees will get eating alive.

LETS GO WHITE SOX

NOW IM PUMPED

not like i wasnt before

MRKARNO
Thank you Houston.

Paul Konerko, Jermaine Dye, and Tad Iguchi are looking forward to the 315 foot porch in left field.

Seriously, if the prognosticators thought the Astros could take advantage of the Crawford Boxes, wait till they see us. I bet Uribe and Crede will be trying to land a few in the boxes as well.

Hokiesox

Haven't we, traditionally, pounded Clemens? Of their 3 stellar pitchers, there's only one we haven't seen. Most of them have never seen our 4some of AL pitchers. I think the starting pitching argument is moot/advantage us. Pettite has a 4.00 postseason ERA.

They have an atrocious offense right now, though. While ours is clicking. Hopefully that stays the same. Looking forward to it.

Theanticub
10-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Haven't we, traditionally, pounded Clemens? Of their 3 stellar pitchers, there's only one we haven't seen. Most of them have never seen our 4some of AL pitchers. I think the starting pitching argument is moot/advantage us. Pettite has a 4.00 postseason ERA.

They have an atrocious offense right now, though. While ours is clicking. Hopefully that stays the same. Looking forward to it.

Not sure, anyone have his postseason stats? And/or his vs. anyone in our lineup's stats?

Optipessimism
10-19-2005, 10:39 PM
I don't think we should take Houston lightly at all. I said before the playoffs even started that Houston would be the toughest team in baseball for us to beat if we both made it that far. They have a terrific top three in their starting rotation, a good bullpen, and an offense capable of putting up runs and getting clutch hits. I don't care what the record says, Houston is a better team than St. Louis and they proved why. On one hand I'm happy for them that they made it and am glad that the Sox are going to have to beat the best to be the best, but on the other I think this will be the toughest series we've played all year.

Anyway, hats off to the Astros and get ready for a tough series. Our starting staff is going to have to continue to be brilliant and our defense is going to have to show up and play like they have been. Our bullpen will have to be ready because they will surely see some work and our hitters will have to be on their game more than ever. If we do that, I think we can win this thing. If not, it's going to be very tough. Go Sox!!!

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 10:40 PM
I believe this is going to be a tough series. The Sox will have their hands full trying to hit Oswalt and Clemens. Our pitching staff must remain dominate for us to win. The key will be to get some early runs against the Stros.

I'm certainly not going to get too cocky about this series.

GO SOX!!!!!!!!!

Theanticub
10-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Clemens 4.50 ERA this postseason. That is NL ..we CAN get to him.

SweetnesSox
10-19-2005, 10:43 PM
How about the Sox in 4.:D:

How about sox in 3? oh they'll find a way...

Theanticub
10-19-2005, 10:43 PM
2 game sweep? Forfeit after two or something along those lines heh

iamkoza
10-19-2005, 10:44 PM
i dont want to go to a game 7.... oswalt would be a tough guy to have to beat

SoxSpeed22
10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Clemens 4.50 ERA this postseason. That is NL ..we CAN get to him.The problem with using this year's postseason, is that one bad start completely skews those stats. In this case, game 2 in Atlanta.

Hokiesox
10-19-2005, 10:47 PM
i dont want to go to a game 7.... oswalt would be a tough guy to have to beat

:jon

"I'm pretty tough to beat too"

WSoxFanForever
10-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Since I'm a Brew fan, I've seen Roger Clemens maybe more than those who don't follow the NL much. He was only lasting about five innings in Sept. The Brewers don't have great hitting and they hit Clemens for five and knocked him out early. The problem is their bullpen, and they have awesome defense. This won't be a walk in the park, but I know we can do it. We have to hit their pitching, and they have to hit ours. I usually like the 'Stros, so should be a good series.

GOOOOOOOOO WHITE SOXXXXXXXXX!!!

kevin57
10-19-2005, 10:54 PM
I said it about LA

Ill Say it again.

That prediction along with your personal winning streak makes me feel better. BTW, how many Series games will you be at?

soxjim
10-19-2005, 10:56 PM
The Astros have a good pitching staff. The SOX will stick to their game and take them in 5.

MRKARNO
10-19-2005, 11:04 PM
BRUUUUCE Levine thinks this is the best matchup. He likes Brian Backe a lot.

WhiteSox1983
10-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Im scared of houston, but lets go sox!

kaufsox
10-19-2005, 11:07 PM
houston, you have a problem... I'm sorry I just couldn't resist :redface: I definitely think we have the edge in offense. The starting pitching is pretty close, but we go four deep, they go 3 really. Also, I kind of think Garner is a tool. I never understood why the guy was so highly thought of after his time as Brewer and Tiger skipper. Ozzie is the better manager. It looks pretty good from where I'm sitting.

pczarapa
10-19-2005, 11:12 PM
I think we can scratch out more baserunners than them. Then it'll all come down to clutch hitting.

Should be great.

We have Crede, the clutchest of the clutch!

Brewski
10-19-2005, 11:14 PM
Is it just me, or did the Sox seem way more pumped when they clinched?? It seemed like it was just more of a sigh of relief for the Astros. I definitely like our team chemistry and drive more then theirs.

Last night they had the plastic on the lockers and the champagne on ice and had their guts torn out by Pujols. The bloom was off the roses tonight. This win was almost an anticlimax. Still, they're a tough bunch that was 15-30 after 45 games and had the best record in MLB from that point on. First 2 games will be cold and wet. Bring your parkas.

CaptainBallz
10-19-2005, 11:16 PM
Congrats, Houston! Sorry, I was pulling for St. Louis---but look forward to this matchup. Good luck and may the best team win!!!!

World Series '05! It's ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hendu
10-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I like the fact that the Sox will be well-rested for the series. Power pitchers are a commodity in the playoffs because hitters are tired and banged-up from playing a grueling season over 6 months. But the off days before the ALCS, as well as before the World Series should help when swinging at those 97 mph fastballs.

AJPosguchi
10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
Our hitters know Clemons and Pettite, so no worries there, Oswald looks tough though.

DSpivack
10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I really see this one going 6 or 7, but then again I thought the same of Anaheim. :rolleyes:

Oswalt, Clemens, Pettitte, yeah you might be sick of hearing about them, but I fear them a heck of a lot more than anyone we've faced recently.

HotelWhiteSox
10-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Okay, boy am I pumped, too bad I have to wait til Saturday!

According to Levine, Houston is going with the 4 man rotation for probables of:
Clemens (1, 5) vs Contreras
Pettite (2, 6) vs Buerhle
Oswalt (3, 7) vs Garland
Backe (4) vs Garcia

(Not official, depends on situation of team and future announcements)

-We've seen Clemens and Pettite, and they have had injury issues lately, so I don't mind that, though it may be hard to scratch runs off Clemens on a cold night Saturday (get Frank a bat! ;) ) , we shall see. We have some good fastball hitters though

- I expect a HR Derby type Game 4 (or the game vs Backe) for the Sox, should be nice to see how they respond in that stadium.

- I expect Clemens to back off or hit Everett in Game 1 (if the situation permits). He won't have to hit in Game 1, and any retaliation, whichever game, would probably cost our guy to get tossed.

- Much greater chance of the bullpen being used with the playing in NL parks and having those rules.

-Other than Berkman, and possibly Biggio, no one in their lineup would scare me in a late game situation, I would even trust Damaso, as long as he would be able to get strikes over.

Just a few things that popped in my head before going to bed, shall be fun!

IronFisk
10-20-2005, 01:25 AM
Heck, just nice to see two long-suffering franchises with rabid fans make it to the dance.

Being said...rip 'em a new one! :supernana:

StillMissOzzie
10-20-2005, 01:41 AM

It's not all bad - two teams from the NL Central battling for the NL pennant, and neither of them were named the Cubs. Yeah, I know the Cubs fans hate the Cardinals with an unbridled passion, but it still has to gall them that the NL wildcard, from their division, is going to the World Series.

SMO
:D: :gulp: :bandance:

Houston, you have a problem!

getonbckthr
10-20-2005, 02:47 AM
hey houston now we're your problem

ThatGuyOnTheL
10-20-2005, 08:58 AM

Heck, their radio announcer sounded positively bored to be calling the final out. I guess NL pennants happen all the time down there.

mjharrison72
10-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Maybe someone can help me out on this, but it seems to me the last time we faced the rocket in New York we tee'd off on him for over 10 runs and the Big Hurt went deep off the foul pole.
Well, I certainly remember being in attendance for a game in 2002, probably September, when the Sox exploded on Clemens for 8 or 9 runs, including back-to-back shots from Crede and maybe Valentin? Anyone else help out?

Great story from that game, when whoever hit the first of the back to back shots, I stood up and cheered, and some Yankees fan about 10 rows behind me very cordially told me to "Sit the **** down!" Then we hit another homer.

EDIT: It was Jeff Liefer (!) with the three-run shot, then Crede right after. Sox 8, Yanks 1: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/recaps/2002/09/14/cws_nyy/4828_recap.html

soxwon
10-20-2005, 09:54 AM
I see Carl having a huge series. He loves to hit the fasball, and he'll be going up against a couple of fasball pitchers.

I also think our mostly right-handed line-up will take advantage of that short porch in Houston.

There are a lot of easy outs in the Stros line-up too.

one problem, where does carl play in houston?
who gets benched? pods?

soxwon
10-20-2005, 09:56 AM
ok now how many times has a wild card been in the series?

how many has the WC won?

TheOldRoman
10-20-2005, 11:55 AM
who gets benched? pods?
Are you insane?
Scotty is getting on base at like a .430 clip, and is starting to steal again. Everett has done barely anything for us in the playoffs. Carl will park his ass on the bench for games 3-5.

shoota II
10-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Will Bagwell be playing in the World Series? Did he play in the NLDS and NLCS?

Settembrini
10-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Will Bagwell be playing in the World Series? Did he play in the NLDS and NLCS?

He'll probably DH, but with his shoulder injury, he's basically a singles hitter (and not much of one, either - .250 in 100 at bats this year).

Hendu
10-20-2005, 12:25 PM
who gets benched? pods?

Carl will get some pinch hit opportunities in Houston. And I have a feeling he'll come through. After getting fed almost nothing but change-ups for the past couple of months, he better be ready to hit those heaters.

Hendu
10-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Are you insane?
Scotty is getting on base at like a .430 clip, and is starting to steal again. Everett has done barely anything for us in the playoffs. Carl will park his ass on the bench for games 3-5.

I think the question about benching Pods was rhetorical, in response to my prediction that Carl will have a big series.

Nobody is suggesting that Carl will be patrolling the outfield, or hitting in place of Scotty. But he will be a very dangerous weapon off the bench in Houston, pinch hitting for pitchers. They love to throw fastballs, and he loves to hit fastballs.

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 01:04 PM

how many has the WC won?

Every year since 2001 the wild card has been the team to win the world series.

Boston, 2004
Florida, 2003
Anaheim, 2002

hawkjt
10-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Sorry but I see this as a seven game squeaker for the sox. The first game of the Angels series we showed sloppy and rusty play. The Astros could easily win game 1. Then Burls will have tremendous pressure in game 2. He can handle it.

We have to get a split at home and then go to the torture chamber that minute maid is. They will close the roof despite beautiful weather to increase the volume. The nooks and crannys result in weird plays in the outfield and our guys will have no clue. We are a great road team so I see us winning at least one and then back at home winning game six with burls and either clinching or taking it to seven where Oswalt will be very tough. That aint crap he is throwing up there. Its 97+ cheese. This could go south very quickly on the sox. Must not lose both opening games in chicago.

Flight #24
10-20-2005, 01:20 PM
We have to get a split at home and then go to the torture chamber that minute maid is. They will close the roof despite beautiful weather to increase the volume. The nooks and crannys result in weird plays in the outfield and our guys will have no clue. We are a great road team so I see us winning at least one and then back at home winning game six with burls and either clinching or taking it to seven where Oswalt will be very tough. That aint crap he is throwing up there. Its 97+ cheese. This could go south very quickly on the sox. Must not lose both opening games in chicago.

That doesn't matter much on strikeouts and weakly hit ground balls, so I think our outfielders will be just fine.....

Theanticub
10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
I can't see us losing both in chicago. I really can't see us losing any in chicago.

SoxSpeed22
10-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Every year since 2000 the wild card has been the team to win the world series.

Boston, 2004
Florida, 2003
Anaheim, 2002
Diamondbacks, 2001The Diamondbacks were division champs at 92-70. The whole idea of the wild card is kinda unfair to the division champs with the top seed because home field doesn't mean a lot. I for one don't want to see another 2nd place team, especially an 89 win team in an inferior league win this title. I'll be rooting for the 1st place, 99 win team in the superior league.

Theanticub
10-20-2005, 01:33 PM
The Diamondbacks were division champs at 92-70. The whole idea of the wild card is kinda unfair to the division champs with the top seed because home field doesn't mean a lot. I for one don't want to see another 2nd place team, especially an 89 win team in an inferior league win this title. I'll be rooting for the 1st place, 99 win team in the superior league.

Superior league, you hit the nail on the head with that one.

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 01:56 PM
The Diamondbacks were division champs at 92-70. The whole idea of the wild card is kinda unfair to the division champs with the top seed because home field doesn't mean a lot. I for one don't want to see another 2nd place team, especially an 89 win team in an inferior league win this title. I'll be rooting for the 1st place, 99 win team in the superior league.

My bad. Maybe it's just that they seemed like a wildcard team to me. :wink:

Iwritecode
10-20-2005, 02:04 PM

how many has the WC won?

How many times have the Astros been 1 win away from making the WS? How many times have they made it?

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 02:07 PM
How many times have the Astros been 1 win away from making the WS? How many times have they made it?

:cool:

TheOldRoman
10-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I think the question about benching Pods was rhetorical, in response to my prediction that Carl will have a big series.

Nobody is suggesting that Carl will be patrolling the outfield, or hitting in place of Scotty. But he will be a very dangerous weapon off the bench in Houston, pinch hitting for pitchers. They love to throw fastballs, and he loves to hit fastballs.
I agree. Remember all the people who wanted us to TRADE Carl? "We have Big Frank back, we dont need him." Obviously, Kenny is not dumb. I said all along that Carl will be invaluable in the playoffs, coming off the bench in a late game situation. Lets hope he has a great series.

jasonact
10-20-2005, 04:23 PM
Congrats to the Astros. I still think the Cardinals were a much better team, but the injuries did them in. The Cardinals looked dead tonight, and they made Oswalt look like the greatest pitcher of all time.

I hope Houston enjoys the celebration. I don't think they will be getting another one until possibly winning the Wild Card next year.

Oswalt is an incredible pitcher. Despite the media attention that Pettitte and Clemens gets, many Astros fans believe he's the best of the three at this point in their careers.

By the way, I am an Astros fan who found your site. I'm not here to "troll" or start any flame wars. Just looking for good baseball discussion. I don't know a lot about the Sox (part of the reason why I'm here), but I do think the Astros have a tough job ahead. Nevertheless, I fully believe that my team can win it all. Here's to a good series.:cool:

Palehose13
10-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Oswalt is an incredible pitcher. Despite the media attention that Pettitte and Clemens gets, many Astros fans believe he's the best of the three at this point in their careers.

By the way, I am an Astros fan who found your site. I'm not here to "troll" or start any flame wars. Just looking for good baseball discussion. I don't know a lot about the Sox (part of the reason why I'm here), but I do think the Astros have a tough job ahead. Nevertheless, I fully believe that my team can win it all. Here's to a good series.:cool:

I'd have to agree with the Houston fans who think Oswalt is the best on the staff. I'm happy that we don't have to see him until game 3. It's going to be a great series even if there won't be too much interest outside of Chicago and Houston.