PDA

View Full Version : Where do all of the tickets go that MLB gets?

WSox8404
10-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Seriously where do the 20,000 tix a game go? I mean thats a lot of tix. What does MLB do with all of them? I know they give a lot of them away but to who? Are they mostly Sox fans? Because when watching recent world series' when they show shots of the crowd they are all going nuts when the home team does something good. I just don't get this process at all. I wish someone can clarify this to me because I am very confused.

chisoxfanatic
10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
I've read in other threads that the 28 MLB teams who are NOT playing in the World Series get tickets as well, which is COMPLETELY ABSURD!!! Taking tickets away from fans of the teams who actually made it to the World Series in favor of those who didn't is in NO way right!

:hawk:
"That is just B.S.!"

beckett21
10-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Welcome to the big-time. :smile:

RealMenWearBlack
10-19-2005, 10:53 PM
That doesn't make any sense. Why would a fan of any other team want to go to another teams World Series anyway? I'd feel bad if I took tickets from a fan of a team in the World Series. It doesn't make sense to me.

Theanticub
10-19-2005, 11:14 PM
I've read in other threads that the 28 MLB teams who are NOT playing in the World Series get tickets as well, which is COMPLETELY ABSURD!!! Taking tickets away from fans of the teams who actually made it to the World Series in favor of those who didn't is in NO way right!

:hawk:
"That is just B.S.!"

It's a scam to make you watch fox.

anewman35
10-20-2005, 07:35 AM
That doesn't make any sense. Why would a fan of any other team want to go to another teams World Series anyway? I'd feel bad if I took tickets from a fan of a team in the World Series. It doesn't make sense to me.

It's not so much for their fans, it's more for their employees and sponsers and stuff. Not that it makes it any better, I guess.

jabrch
10-20-2005, 08:03 AM
Most go to sponsors...Xerox is the presenting sponsor of MLB on TV and Radio. They get loads of tickets. So do all the networks. Fox/ESPN get tons of tickets.

Attending a WS or a Superbowl is limited to only season ticket holders and the really lucky - lucky enough to be connected, or to be extremely wealthy.

Mots09
10-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Don't forget suppliers of hats (new era), jerseys (majestic), gloves (rawlings, mizuno, wilson), and cleats (nike, adidas, reebok).

All of their sales reps get a generous amount of tickets to give to thier vendors

steff
10-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Every team gets tickets for their owners, sponsors, and players. MLB sponsors, local team sponsors (down to the provider of the teams socks), the home team of course gets whatever they want, as well as the players families. Then the media outlets (ESPN, Fox national, and local and foreign press). It all adds up.

Viva Medias B's
10-20-2005, 08:51 AM
We know who will use one of the MLB tickets:

:tool
"Hey! I only have to drive 90 miles to watch the World Series!"

DrummerGeorgefan
10-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Dont forget that sox fans like the cast of House and Wanda Sykes will have front row seats....

elrod
10-20-2005, 09:29 AM
It's a good question, though. If half the stadium is filled with people who have no interest in the home team, why do the fans root so loudly for the team?

Hitmen77
10-20-2005, 11:10 AM
It's a good question, though. If half the stadium is filled with people who have no interest in the home team, why do the fans root so loudly for the team?

Good question.

Back in '93 when the Sox last had World Series tickets go on sale, it wasn't nearly as impossible to get tickets. So, MLB must be increasing the number of tickets it takes over time.

Question - if the Sox number of season ticket holders is relatively low, and there were only 2,000 tickets per game available for non season ticket holders, what happens if the Sox boost their number of season ticket holders (which is a safe assumption that they will)? Does this mean that after the Sox get 2000 more season ticket holders, they'll get to the point where, for future years there won't even be enough World Series tickets to give to all season ticket holders?

SouthSoxFan
10-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Back in '93 when the Sox last had World Series tickets go on sale, it wasn't nearly as impossible to get tickets.
That's for sure. Back in '93, just on the phones, I secured 4 tickets for every LCS and WS game on my account, and then grabbed friends/colleagues and set them up with 4 more for every game.

It was a sad day when I had to haul all those tickets into the bank to get the refunds.

WSox8404
10-20-2005, 11:18 AM

Thats my point. If there are only half sox fans there why is it so loud? Are they told to cheer for the home team? Unless sponsors find sox fans to give em too. It baffles me. I just wish when we made the renovations we still had a 47,500 or something capacity.:angry: :angry: :angry:

MtEverett
10-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Seriously where do the 20,000 tix a game go? I mean thats a lot of tix. What does MLB do with all of them? I know they give a lot of them away but to who? Are they mostly Sox fans? Because when watching recent world series' when they show shots of the crowd they are all going nuts when the home team does something good. I just don't get this process at all. I wish someone can clarify this to me because I am very confused.

I am not sure where they all go or how it works; but I got lucky. My sister's friend works for the Pittsburgh Pirates as an account/ticket rep and randomly asked my sister if she wanted tickets. My Dad and I are going to game one. :bandance:

spiffie
10-20-2005, 11:22 AM
Thats my point. If there are only half sox fans there why is it so loud? Are they told to cheer for the home team? Unless sponcers find sox fans to give em too. It baffles me. I just wish when we made the renovations we still had a 47,500 or something capacity.:angry: :angry: :angry:

One thing to keep in mind is all those tickets going to ticket brokers...a lot of those are tickets gotten through these sorts of channels, which are moving from people with no interest into the hands of people willing to pay huge sums to get to see a World Series game. I expect these people might be enthused when they get there, or perhaps I missed the rule where only people who make less than a certain amount of $$$ per year can be excited about the Sox ;)

SouthSoxFan
10-20-2005, 11:33 AM
The people with no interest are the ones whose tickets are on the open market right now, and will be purchased by avid Sox fans. And many of the sponsors seats will be distributed among their employees/customers who are Sox fans, or at least supporters of the team in this event.

Just for comparison's sake, take this year's NCAA Championship game. That's a neutral site event, with tickets distributed through all sorts of different channels, including a public lottery. And there's a lot of corporate interest in an event like this. You can be sure that the Illinois fan base did not receive a large number of tickets via original sale. However, for the game, the place was 80% decked out in orange and extremely loud in favor of the Illini. Fans find a way.

rmusacch
10-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Good question.

Back in '93 when the Sox last had World Series tickets go on sale, it wasn't nearly as impossible to get tickets. So, MLB must be increasing the number of tickets it takes over time.

Question - if the Sox number of season ticket holders is relatively low, and there were only 2,000 tickets per game available for non season ticket holders, what happens if the Sox boost their number of season ticket holders (which is a safe assumption that they will)? Does this mean that after the Sox get 2000 more season ticket holders, they'll get to the point where, for future years there won't even be enough World Series tickets to give to all season ticket holders?

Yes, that is true but you also have to take into consideration that the Sox were already in the World Series this year when tickets went on sale. In the past, the Sox weren't in the World Series. Isn't the Tuesday before the games start a little late for tickets to go on sale?