PDA

View Full Version : Official Cards-Astros Game Six Thread

elrod
10-19-2005, 07:49 PM
No score through an inning and a half. Both pitchers are dominating. Pujols struck out on a nasty inside fastball. Looks like that's the way to get him. Jam him.

elrod
10-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Astros have a rally going in the 3rd. 1st and 2nd and nobody out. Pitcher due up and he'll sac.

TheArmyOfNeems
10-19-2005, 08:06 PM
2-0 stros

HotelWhiteSox
10-19-2005, 08:06 PM
I thought the Cardinals had a chance because of Houston's offense, but now the Astros are scoring. Not that St Louis can't score, but with Oswalt on the mound...

elrod
10-19-2005, 08:07 PM
It'll be very interesting to see how St. Louis responds after Houston's 2 runs. If the Cards don't score, the momentum will be back with Houston.

Blueprint1
10-19-2005, 08:14 PM
The Astro's scare me. They were the best team in the second half and their pitching is awesome. If they are scoreing runs they are scary.

itsnotrequired
10-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Lane hits a solo shot and its 3-0, Astros.

WSoxFanForever
10-19-2005, 08:28 PM
I'm scared of the Astros too. We have to hit those pitchers. The Cards seem more beatable. Their stadium is intimidating to the opposing team. It's the LOUDEST park in baseball.

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 08:48 PM
So far, Oswalt has a no-hitter going. The Cards will do well to just get a hit right now. Now Mulder is gone. The Cards are in big trouble!

knocko94
10-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Cards with two on no out

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Finally, a sign of life from the Cardinal batters. No-hitter gone. Runners on first and second. Nobody out.

HotelWhiteSox
10-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Oooooo, bad call

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Bad call by the ump. That's a bad break for St. Louis.

FarWestChicago
10-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Where are the 40 thousand replays and absolute outrage at that blatantly bad call? :?:

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 08:58 PM
There's go the shut-out.

Chisox003
10-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Where are the 40 thousand replays and absolute outrage at that blatantly bad call? :?:
Beat me to it....

Fox :rolleyes:

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Where are the 40 thousand replays and absolute outrage at that blatantly bad call? :?:I agree. But the difference is when the bad call came. Perhaps, if it had come with the game tied or late in the game. Even so, the Cards was robbed of a potentially big inning and nobody made a big deal out of it.

Chisox003
10-19-2005, 09:07 PM
I agree. But the difference is when the bad call came. Perhaps, if it had come with the game tied or late in the game. Even so, the Cards was robbed of a potentially big inning and nobody made a big deal out of it.
You're kidding right?

How many times did we see the supposed pickoff where Podsednik was out? That wasn't exactly a difference maker, especially in an 8-2 final score ... But they still showed it before THIS game!

Edit: As a matter of fact, the Molina play is a LOT bigger than Pods not being called out ... Bases loaded nobody out, down 3? That's big, whether it's late in the game or not

LongLiveFisk
10-19-2005, 09:12 PM
4-1 Houston on a suicide squeeze....still a long way to go in this game but methinks St Louis better wake up awfully fast. Because their season is fading fast.

SoxSpeed22
10-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Looks like Roger Clemens and Jose Contreras on Saturday.
EDIT: I also find it hilarious that we happen to be facing almost all of the media darlings during our run.
Boston on ESPN. LA on Fox and coming soon...:whiner: for not gettin' to the World Series in 43 years, Houston.

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 09:15 PM
You're kidding right?

How many times did we see the supposed pickoff where Podsednik was out? That wasn't exactly a difference maker, especially in an 8-2 final score ... But they still showed it before THIS game!I stand by what I said. I totally agree that the ump's bad call in this game was treated differently by Fox. I was just trying to explain it.

veeter
10-19-2005, 09:26 PM
If the Sox get Houston, I say the 'Stros score 11 runs for the series.

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 09:34 PM
The Cards look to be toast. They can't seem to do much against Oswalt. However, there is still time. Any bets on whether Oswalt pitches a complete game?

SoxSpeed22
10-19-2005, 09:41 PM
If the Sox get Houston, I say the 'Stros score 11 runs for the series.How many 300-foot Home Runs do they hit, compared to us?

SoxSpeed22
10-19-2005, 09:43 PM
5-1 Houston now.

cheeses_h_rice
10-19-2005, 09:50 PM
I haven't watched most of this game...has it just been great pitching by Oswalt, or are the Cards' bats just limp?

FarWestChicago
10-19-2005, 09:53 PM
I haven't watched most of this game...has it just been great pitching by Oswalt, or are the Cards' bats just limp?Can anybody spit the bit like a LaRussa team in the playoffs? :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Can anybody spit the bit like a LaRussa team in the playoffs? :D:

Few things are more enjoyable than seeing his team go down. I cheered for St. Louis last year only because I hate Boston more. But usually I raise a pint each year (except for his 1989 BALCO Earthquake asterisk squad) when they are eliminated.

LaRussa you are not missed on the South Side. He Gone!!!

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 09:59 PM
I haven't watched most of this game...has it just been great pitching by Oswalt, or are the Cards' bats just limp?This has been a relatively low-scoring series for both teams. So far, the most runs scored by either team has been five. Including this game, the Cards have been held to one run, three times.

TheArmyOfNeems
10-19-2005, 10:00 PM
cards choked big time, despite the pujols homerun last game. everyone (by everyone i mean all cardinal fans) expected them to at least make the world series if not win it by their best NL record at the end of the regular season. i dont know if they "choked", thats a bit too stong, but they lost fair and square to the team they finished ahead of in the season.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-19-2005, 10:01 PM
cards choked big time, despite the pujols homerun last game. everyone (by everyone i mean all cardinal fans) expected them to at least make the world series if not win it by their best NL record at the end of the regular season. i dont know if they "choked", thats a bit too stong, but they lost fair and square to the team they finished ahead of in the season.

Well they had three key players hurt / out - Sanders, Walker and Reyes their key setup man. They looked good in the NL but methinks they would be fighting for a wild card spot in the AL.

SoxSpeed22
10-19-2005, 10:02 PM
This has been a relatively low-scoring series for both teams. So far, the most runs scored by either team has been five. Including this game, the Cards have been held to one run, three times.Houston is more built for those low-scoring games. This should be like Atlanta and Cleveland in 1995. With us winning.

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Well they had three key players hurt / out - Sanders, Walker and Reyes their key setup man. They looked good in the NL but methinks they would be fighting for a wild card spot in the AL.Not to mention, they got what almost amounts to a "bye" by playing the Padres in the NLDS.

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 10:12 PM
Houston is more built for those low-scoring games. This should be like Atlanta and Cleveland in 1995. With us winning.Looks like this is going to be another Maalox series for me. Two really good pitching staffs going at it should make for some very close games.

Chisox003
10-19-2005, 10:15 PM
They just showed Bagwell on the screen in the dugout and it hit me .....

The Astros and White Sox will meet in the World Series, and Jeff Bagwell and Frank Thomas will be spectators only...

2 of the greatest hitters of their time (of MY time) and almost identical numbers .... Neither will be participating in their first world series appearance

Now that's terrible

TheOldRoman
10-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Maybe the centerfield camera is at a weird angle, but it looks like Oswalt has been getting mid-shin level called strikes the entire game. These pitches look incredibly low, but the Cards batters haven't reacted at all, so it must be a bad camera angle. The Cards look emotionally spent, they have given no effort whatsoever tonight. They are making Oswalt look like the lovechild of Cy Young and Walter Johnson. At least they pushed it to game 6, so Oswalt wont throw against us until game 3.

If the Cards can't find any magic, good bye to Busch Stadium. I wish it could have been us and the Cardinals.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Houston has always been in my Top 5 and this pennant after years of near misses is sweet. I wish they would have won in front of their home fans who stuck with them year in and year out but winning in St. Louis is the next best thing.

This win is for Bob Watson, Cesar Cedeno, Larry Dierker, JR Richard, Jose Cruz, Joe Niekro, Terry Puhl, Nolan Ryan and Manager Bill Verdon in those great late 1970s / early 1980s teams. This win is for Biggio, Berkman and the only non juiced firstbaseman peer of Frank Thomas who is worthy of comparison Jeff Bagwell known as the Killer Bees. Glenn Davis and Mike Scott who just missed in 1986.

These were great players who missed out on baseball's biggest show the World Series and I am glad the 2005 team was able to finally reach the promised land.

Most years I would be pulling for them in the World Series but this is a rare year I will not.

Great season Houston Astros!!!

White Sox in 5 or 6 for the Championship!!! (5 in my head but I rather have us clinch at home in my heart)

TheOldRoman
10-19-2005, 10:18 PM
They just showed Bagwell on the screen in the dugout and it hit me .....

The Astros and White Sox will meet in the World Series, and Jeff Bagwell and Frank Thomas will be spectators only...

2 of the greatest hitters of their time (of MY time) and almost identical numbers .... Neither will be participating in their first world series appearance

Now that's terrible
Bagwell is on the roster, he has been pinch hitting for several weeks, but he cant throw with his shoulder. He will probably DH in the series.

Viva Medias B's
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Next event at Busch Stadium: The Implosion.

Busch Stadium
May 12, 1966 ~ October 19, 2005

Chisox003
10-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Bagwell is on the roster, he has been pinch hitting for several weeks, but he cant throw with his shoulder. He will probably DH in the series.
Ya I knew he was on the roster and pinch hitting ... But he'll be healthy enough to DH?

TheOldRoman
10-19-2005, 10:23 PM
Ya I knew he was on the roster and pinch hitting ... But he'll be healthy enough to DH?
That's what I hear.

Unregistered
10-19-2005, 10:26 PM
These guys look like chumps compared to the celebrating the Sox did. :cool:

ChiWhiteSox1337
10-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Ah shoot. I actually won something for once(the Cardinals' lottery for World Series tickets) and they lose to the Astros. I can't complain though, the Astros dominated the Cardinals this series.

jmcts
10-19-2005, 10:31 PM
These guys look like chumps compared to the celebrating the Sox did. :cool:

Well, they are an expansion team compared to us. They didn't even exist last time the Sox were in the World Series.

HotelWhiteSox
10-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Adios Busch Stadium, Larry Walker's career, and that radio station that the Cardinals are leaving

Frankfan4life
10-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Sox vs. Stros. It's on! Just like the late Mrs. Clemens predicted.

Tragg
10-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Congrats to the Astros. I'd have been in a coma after Monday; they weren't. Good job and should be a good series.

Brewski
10-19-2005, 11:48 PM
No score through an inning and a half. Both pitchers are dominating. Pujols struck out on a nasty inside fastball. Looks like that's the way to get him. Jam him.

Bingo. If you let him get his arms extended he'll kill you. Fastballs at the knees, inside corner. Which is exactly where your weak spot would be if you both bend at the knees and crowd the plate as he does.