PDA

View Full Version : A backhand compliment from Twinkie land

FanofBill
10-19-2005, 12:45 PM
http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=BBA-SOUHAN-10-19-05

_ The White Sox compete for their market share with the too-cute-for-words Cubs, the real Chi-Town chokers. The Cubs are guaranteed sellouts because they play in a museum surrounded by bars, and are represented by a mascot favored by children and "others without fully-formed brains."

I had to laugh at this one: "others without fully-formed brains."

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Interesting, but....

:whocares

FanofBill
10-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Interesting, but....

:whocares

read the whole article though, we finally get the love.

LuvSox
10-19-2005, 12:57 PM
The White Sox compete for their market share with the too-cute-for-words Cubs, the real Chi-Town chokers. The Cubs are guaranteed sellouts because they play in a museum surrounded by bars, and are represented by a mascot favored by children and "others without fully-formed brains."

Common knowledge

MarySwiss
10-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Here's another good article, from today's Arizona Republic. Not a word in it about the Black Sox and some terrific memories from the past.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/columns/articles/1019boivin1019.html

Edit: Whoops, I see AZChiSoxFan posted this the same time I did.

Chisox353014
10-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Why is it that out of town writers often see the big picture better than the ones here in Chicago? Instead we get endless "choke" articles and comparisons to the Flubs and how we didn't win the 2005 Golden Attendence Trophy, or "hey, the 85 Bears are still waaaayyy better than the Sox".

jmcts
10-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Even though the article continues to spread the same mistruths about White Sox, the author does point out some facts about our team. And manages to throw some nice jabs at the Baby Bears.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5677060.html

:wink:

Tekijawa
10-19-2005, 03:28 PM
This statement right here is why I was on the phone to get my Ozzie plan and Extra tickets about a half hour after they signed AJ. I don't know why Iguchi is Ozzies MVP, because this is they guy that made the team:

"catcher A.J. Pierzynski - who demonstrated what it means to compete, even when everybody in the stadium thinks the inning's over.
I've never been around a tougher player than Pierzynski. In terms of sheer will, he deserves a ring as much as any player."

SoxFan64
10-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Why is it that out of town writers often see the big picture better than the ones here in Chicago?

Probably because the article in the AZ Republic was written by a native Chicagoan and obvious Sox fan. I know where she is coming from.

She speaks for many of us who grew up with the Sox but have not lived in the Chicago area for many years. I have not lived in Illinois for over 25 years, my youthful memories are of Sox players and events that only the people on this list can fully appreciate. I have not been to a Sox game at all in the past two years, when they have come to Baltimore -- the nearest site to me -- I have been out of town. But I have followed them. I have not gone out on some Saturday nights just so I could watch them on WGN-TV. I don't the luxury of boycotting the Cubine when they were many times the only place I could get Sox highlights was on their local news. I know many more former Chicagoans like me in my new hometown. Their passion is my passion and is your passion: The White Sox.

My guess -- and it is only a guess -- is many of the writers and talking heads of the Chicago media are NOT native Chicagoans. They probably don't live on the South Side. They never knew that Harry was a Sox annoncer before he was a Cub one.

Our (yes, it is a "We" thing) winning will be the first step in changing the culture of Chicago sports. And then these gee whiz articles about how no one is a Sox fan will cease.

I think I speak for many of the out of town Sox fans when the following happens to me during polite conversation with someone I have just met. I tell them I love baseball and I am originally from Chicago. To a man, the next words out of their mouth is something about the Cubs. I tell them that "I am not a Cubs fan," and this huge blank goes over their face. I prompt them with "I cheer for the other Chicago team," and the blank face continues. I say "I am a Sox fan" and they respond "I thought they were in Boston?" I say "I cheer for the other Sox team -- the one that has had the 'Sox' name longer." The blank stare continues. I give up and I say "I cheer for the White Sox." And then I get "Oh?!?"

So if winning means we will get a spate of articles about the Sox, usually written by someone who knows nothing about us. Be patient with them. Some of us out here have had to put up with their ignorance without the benefit of seeing the games in person. It can be lonely being Sox fan outside of Chicago. So coach these writers when you come across them. They can help spread the word about our favorite team.

We are on the cusp of a potentially long string of good times. We are positioned well for the future -- much like the Brooklyjn Dodgers of the early 40's. The next two weeks and maybe even few years could be the good times we have been straving for.

So enjoy the new found attention wear it well. We are the ugly duckling that is about to turn into a swan. Do it with grace.

LongLiveFisk
10-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Why is it that out of town writers often see the big picture better than the ones here in Chicago? Instead we get endless "choke" articles and comparisons to the Flubs and how we didn't win the 2005 Golden Attendence Trophy, or "hey, the 85 Bears are still waaaayyy better than the Sox".

A lot of times people on the outside looking in can see something clearer. Some of these dopes can't separate truth from fiction being so close to it.

antitwins13
10-19-2005, 06:08 PM
You guys already know my opinion on all things Twinkie. No comment necessary.