PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas: Mr. White Sox

Unregistered
10-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Good article by Jerry Crasnick on ESPN.

Two weeks ago, Chicago management recognized Thomas' 16 years of service with the club by asking him to throw out the ceremonial first pitch before Game 1 of the Division Series against the Red Sox. Thomas threw a fastball to bench coach Harold Baines (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=1672), then smiled and pumped his fist in triumph as the love rained down from the Comiskey stands. He was a man in the throes of his very own Sally Field "You really like me!" moment.
"What a feeling," Thomas said in recollection. "Standing O all around the place. People really cheering me. I had tears in my eyes. To really know the fans cared that much about me -- it was a great feeling. One of my proudest moments in the game."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2005/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2197536&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Madvora
10-19-2005, 02:19 PM
I hope he's out there again for the World Series.

hawkjt
10-19-2005, 02:22 PM
The vast majority of knowledgable Sox fans have always loved Frank for his tremendous skill and dismissed the occasional misteps that the media loves to dwell on. We always knew that he was a high character person who really did nothing to besmirch the sox organization. And his teammates have always said he was great in the clubhouse. Now maybe the press and the rest of the outside world is starting to recognize what we knew all along. That he is a good person ,teammate and by the way, the greatest right-handed hitter in AL history.

soxfan26
10-19-2005, 02:24 PM
"This is home," he said. "I've been here 15 years and I don't know anywhere else. I'm sure we can work something out, and hopefully we will."

This Sox fan sure hopes to see the Big Man back next season, or how about this weekend?

voodoochile
10-19-2005, 02:24 PM
I hope he's out there again for the World Series.

In uniform pinch hitting when needed...

Frank deserves whatever accolades he can get. He is simply the greatest White Sox player ever.

raul12
10-19-2005, 02:26 PM
The vast majority of knowledgable Sox fans have always loved Frank for his tremendous skill and dismissed the occasional misteps that the media loves to dwell on. We always knew that he was a high character person who really did nothing to besmirch the sox organization. And his teammates have always said he was great in the clubhouse. Now maybe the press and the rest of the outside world is starting to recognize what we knew all along. That he is a good person ,teammate and by the way, the greatest right-handed hitter in AL history.

What he said!

:bandance::gulp:

livewir
10-19-2005, 02:32 PM
"Frank's been good to me ever since I got here," Harris said. "He took me under his wing and taught me a lot as far as baseball goes. One thing he always tells me is, 'This game will humble you.' He says that a lot." He says it with a heightened sense of awareness this October. The game, in all its capriciousness and cruelty, humbled Frank Thomas far too often this season, as he watched his team's dream storyline unfold from the most uncomfortable of distances. So close, and yet so far.

kinda made me choke up reading that

:whiner:

LW

SweetnesSox
10-19-2005, 02:37 PM
the purest hitter to ever put on a white sox uniform. I hope he never wears a different one.

skottyj242
10-19-2005, 02:44 PM
So when do they start designing his statue?

No deep pink needed.

wdelaney72
10-19-2005, 02:51 PM

No deep pink needed.

After he retires... and it won't take as long as Fisk's statue, either.

Tekijawa
10-19-2005, 02:57 PM

http://www.metalprices.com/images/hot%20spot/LMECusmall.jpg (http://www.metalprices.com/subscription/metals/cu/cu.asp)

Copper is at record highs it might be awhile... A bronze stature of a 265 pound man would take MILLIONS.

Flight #24
10-19-2005, 03:00 PM
As usual, a perspective that you'd never see written locally, but one shared by virtually all Sox fans.Whatever accolades he gets, he deserves more. The greatest White Sox player in history, and one of the greatest in MLB history.

asindc
10-19-2005, 03:07 PM
It has been great this year seeing Frank truly enjoy the team's success. I loved it when he surprised the guys in Cleveland. Even though he only played 34 games, even here in DC in today's Post there is an article about Frank and his contributions to the Sox. Most people on the east coast still think of him as the face of the franchise. I'm really happy that he's getting to experience this.

pinotgrigio
10-19-2005, 03:16 PM
Probably a thoroughly silly question, but is there anyway Frank sees an at bat during the series? I understand what that would entail, but is it a possibiltiy in anyone's mind?

FielderJones
10-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Probably a thoroughly silly question, but is there anyway Frank sees an at bat during the series? I understand what that would entail, but is it a possibiltiy in anyone's mind?

No. Sentiment is nice and all, but the team is trying to become World Champions. There is no roster spot available for Frank.