PDA

View Full Version : Any Sox fans in Pittsburgh

zach23
10-19-2005, 11:40 AM
A nightmare situation has just come up for me, I was just told I have to go to Pittsburgh next week because I will be supporting a new account and must train with the guy that is leaving. Next week is his last week, so it can't be put off. Thank god the home games are on the weekend, but I will be alone in Pittsburgh to watch the road games.
Anyone here from Pittsburgh that would be interested in meeting somewhere? I have only been there once for one day to see a game at PNC, so I don't know any bars or anywhere to go. I may be the only person in some bar dressed in all Sox gear going insane.
I still haven't found out where I am staying exactly, I will know more once I talk to my new project manager later.

zach61
10-19-2005, 01:48 PM
Wow, no replies yet. Maybe it is true that the Pirates are just the cubs minor league team and there are only cub fans out there.

steveironcity
10-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Im from Pittsburgh, But im going hunting saturday, and will get home right for the start of the game. Im a Sox fan, but not as diehard as most (no not bandwagon either) I might be up for one of the other games.

PaulDrake
10-19-2005, 04:15 PM
A nightmare situation has just come up for me, I was just told I have to go to Pittsburgh next week because I will be supporting a new account and must train with the guy that is leaving. Next week is his last week, so it can't be put off. Thank god the home games are on the weekend, but I will be alone in Pittsburgh to watch the road games.
Anyone here from Pittsburgh that would be interested in meeting somewhere? I have only been there once for one day to see a game at PNC, so I don't know any bars or anywhere to go. I may be the only person in some bar dressed in all Sox gear going insane.
I still haven't found out where I am staying exactly, I will know more once I talk to my new project manager later. I'm sorry but we left in 2003. I would have hooked you up good. There are a number of ex Pittsburghers in the Chicago area but comparatively fewer midwesterners in Pittsburgh. The South Side neighborhood along Carson Street has a number of bars and restaurants that are a mecca to the 20 and 30 something crowd. If you want to go off the beaten track Shiloh Street on Mt Washington has a few places including Redbeards. Good luck. I like Pittsburgh, although along with Buffalo and Cleveland it seems to be in the midst of a never ending downward cycle. It's an old school blue collar town. I don't know if you'll find much love for the Sox there, but whatever you do don't speak ill of the beloved Steelers, pronounced "Stillers" in Pittsburghese. By the way, if you like haute cuisine try a Primanti Brothers sandwich and wash it down with an Iron (Ahrn) City beer.

dropkick371
10-19-2005, 04:39 PM
Sorry, just moved out. If you let me know where you're going to be, I could probably direct you toward something good, and I'll see if anyone from back home is planning anything for the games.

Maybe it is true that the Pirates are just the cubs minor league team and there are only cubs fans out there. I actually resent that. The problem in Pittsburgh is general apathy toward baseball overall, as a result of the poor performance of the Pirates in recent years.

SOXintheBURGH
10-19-2005, 05:07 PM
I just moved out as well..

Maybe you can party with my dad, he's the only Sox fan I know if in the area...

StepsInSC is a WSIer living in Pittsburgh.

zach23
10-19-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry but we left in 2003. I would have hooked you up good. There are a number of ex Pittsburghers in the Chicago area but comparatively fewer midwesterners in Pittsburgh. The South Side neighborhood along Carson Street has a number of bars and restaurants that are a mecca to the 20 and 30 something crowd. If you want to go off the beaten track Shiloh Street on Mt Washington has a few places including Redbeards. Good luck. I like Pittsburgh, although along with Buffalo and Cleveland it seems to be in the midst of a never ending downward cycle. It's an old school blue collar town. I don't know if you'll find much love for the Sox there, but whatever you do don't speak ill of the beloved Steelers, pronounced "Stillers" in Pittsburghese. By the way, if you like haute cuisine try a Primanti Brothers sandwich and wash it down with an Iron (Ahrn) City beer.

Thanks for the info. I had a Primanti Brothers sandwich at PNC park when I went there a few years back. It was excellent. No problem with the Steelers, I fell in love with that team when I was a kid in the '70s. I used to argue with my brother-in-law who was a Cowboys fan. I don't really follow the Steelers that much anymore, but I have no ill will to them.

Sorry, just moved out. If you let me know where you're going to be, I could probably direct you toward something good, and I'll see if anyone from back home is planning anything for the games.

I will be staying in someplace named "Cranberry". The place I will be working is in "Warrendale". They tell me it is 20 minutes from the airport. I will have a rental car, so I can cruise on my own wherever I want. The only thing that will suck is watching the games alone. The good thing is they told me I can leave on Thursday so I am flying out at 4PM EST. That means I can make it back home for game 5 if there is one.
And I think Zach61's comment should have been in teal. I don't think he meant that seriously.

zach23
10-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Im from Pittsburgh, But im going hunting saturday, and will get home right for the start of the game. Im a Sox fan, but not as diehard as most (no not bandwagon either) I might be up for one of the other games.

I will be out there next Monday - Thursday. I will be here and at the Cell for games 1 and 2 this weekend. I was just looking for someone to watch the road games with. If I were at home I would have had friends here or gone to their house.

PaulDrake
10-19-2005, 05:33 PM
I will be staying in someplace named "Cranberry". The place I will be working is in "Warrendale". They tell me it is 20 minutes from the airport. I will have a rental car, so I can cruise on my own wherever I want. The only thing that will suck is watching the games alone. The good thing is they told me I can leave on Thursday so I am flying out at 4PM EST. That means I can make it back home for game 5 if there is one.
You're in the North Hills, what I call the "sun belt" of Pittsburgh. Not because it's sunny, Pittsburgh is very cloudy much of the time. It's just that northern Allegheny County and southern Butler County are one of the few economic bright spots of the Pittsburgh area. Most people who transfer into the Pittsburgh area buy homes in the North Hills. You might want to try the Fox and Hound on McKnight Road or the North Park Lounge on Babcock Boulevard in the North Hills for food, libation, and sports.

zach23
10-19-2005, 05:41 PM
You're in the North Hills, what I call the "sun belt" of Pittsburgh. Not because it's sunny, Pittsburgh is very cloudy much of the time. It's just that northern Allegheny County and southern Butler County are one of the few economic bright spots of the Pittsburgh area. Most people who transfer into the Pittsburgh area buy homes in the North Hills. You might want to try the Fox and Hound on McKnight Road or the North Park Lounge on Babcock Boulevard in the North Hills for food, libation, and sports.

Thanks for the help, I will look for those.
I get a per diem of $54, so if I eat real cheap for breakfast and lunch I can ring up a nice dinner and drinks on them.

dropkick371
10-19-2005, 06:15 PM

You're actually remarkably close to where I'm from. How about that. I'd say...if you're looking to not travel very far, get to Rt. 8, go to the North Park Clubhouse. They'll have the games on. PaulDrake's right about the Fox and Hound and NP Lounge, though coming down from Cranberry...Well, no. I guess that wouldn't be that bad.

Checking out the south side still wouldn't be a bad idea, and they'll have the games on somewhere in Station Square, but that's bit of a drive.

SOXintheBURGH
10-19-2005, 06:30 PM
It really depends on what kinda guy you are. Like any city, Pittsburgh has hole in the wall blue collar bars and trendy yuppie bars.

I recommend going to the South Side and walking down E. Carson St and you'll find something you like.

Just don't wear a Browns jersey.

dropkick371
10-19-2005, 06:44 PM
It really depends on what kinda guy you are. Like any city, Pittsburgh has hole in the wall blue collar bars and trendy yuppie bars.

I recommend going to the South Side and walking down E. Carson St and you'll find something you like.

Just don't wear a Browns jersey.Or mention Cleveland in any positive way. Or say anything negative about Bill Mazeroski.

:D:

PaulDrake
11-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the help, I will look for those.
I get a per diem of $54, so if I eat real cheap for breakfast and lunch I can ring up a nice dinner and drinks on them. So how did it work out for you in Pittsburgh?