PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting Player Obligations During WS?

FoulTerritory
10-19-2005, 10:38 AM
This morning I was listening to ESPN1000, and just before I had to get out of the car to go into work, they remarked that "some sox players" (mentioned konerko by name) have potential conflicting personal issues during the world series and may or may not have a problem playing in all games. One of them (carmen?) hinted at Konerko's wife being pregnant. Then they went to commericial and said they'd discuss it more later, as it "could become a story" next week.

Then I had to depart my radio and couldn't stay tuned for elaboration.

Did anyone catch the details of this or does anyone have any knowledge about such a dreaded event?

Sxy Mofo
10-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Wife's supposedly due next week.

ilsox7
10-19-2005, 10:40 AM
This morning I was listening to ESPN1000, and just before I had to get out of the car to go into work, they remarked that "some sox players" (mentioned konerko by name) have potential conflicting personal issues during the world series and may or may not have a problem playing in all games. One of them (carmen?) hinted at Konerko's wife being pregnant. Then they went to commericial and said they'd discuss it more later, as it "could become a story" next week.

Did anyone catch the details of this or does anyone have any knowledge about such a dreaded event?

PK's wife is pregnant and due in the next week or so. But I would not call that a dreaded event.

soxfan26
10-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Wife's supposedly due next week.

Congrats to Mr. & Mrs. PK!! I selfishly hope that Paulie decides to play, but couldn't blame him if he decided to be with his family.

FoulTerritory
10-19-2005, 10:54 AM
PK's wife is pregnant and due in the next week or so. But I would not call that a dreaded event.

Well, certainly it is not a dreaded event that his wife is due. In fact, that is a great event.

But having to play a WS game without Paul in the lineup is not exactly an ideal event, regardless of the cause.

kevingrt
10-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, certainly it is not a dreaded event that his wife is due. In fact, that is a great event.

But having to play a WS game without Paul in the lineup is not exactly an ideal event, regardless of the cause.

With this news, I think it is almsot certain Ross Gload will get a roster spot now.

Jerko
10-19-2005, 10:56 AM
As long as Timo doesn't play first I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

eurotrash35
10-19-2005, 11:07 AM
gah, all these soxfest babies are really running us amok. we need to push it back next year.

antitwins13
10-19-2005, 11:23 AM
With this news, I think it is almsot certain Ross Gload will get a roster spot now.

Dye would play 1st and CC would take RF

rmusacch
10-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Dye would play 1st and CC would take RF

Excuse my ignorance but who is CC? Do you mean CE?

antitwins13
10-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Excuse my ignorance but who is CC? Do you mean CE?

CC = Crazy Carl Everett

rmusacch
10-19-2005, 11:34 AM

I wonder what other players might have conflicts. Short of having a kid, I can't think of any conflicts they would know about in advance. Maybe Jennifer Konerko can have the kid early on Monday morning of next week and then Paulie won't have to miss a game.

downstairs
10-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Ok... not to be mean... but.... if you were a professional baseball player, wouldn't you try a little harder to schedule these sorts of things to happen any time but August - October?

longshot7
10-19-2005, 11:42 AM
I am not worried at all about missing PK for 1 game of the WS. What a great message it sends to the world about keeping your priorities. We'll be okay. Maybe it will be when we're in the NL park, so Dye and Everett can play instead.

mmmmmbeeer
If I were a pro ballplayer and made it to my first world series, I'd have a difficult time leaving my team to go be with my wife. I'm not just saying that as a Sox fan, I say it realizing that there is no greater accomplishment as an athlete in pro sports than to appear in a world series. I'm really surprised that that the doctor wouldn't induce this week if her due date is next week.

VenturaSoxFan23
Hey, when you're in the mood, the calendar doesn't matter. :D:

Jeff Foxworthy had a funny story related to that. He got tickets for the 1991 World Series to see his Braves, but his wife was due to give birth to their first child. He was all set to dump the tickets and be with his wife, when she told him, "We can always have another kid, but there's no telling when the Braves will make another World Series. You go to the game."

I want PK to do what's best for him.

downstairs
10-19-2005, 11:43 AM
If I were a pro ballplayer and made it to my first world series, I'd have a difficult time leaving my team to go be with my wife. I'm not just saying that as a Sox fan, I say it realizing that there is no greater accomplishment as an athlete in pro sports than to appear in a world series. I'm really surprised that that the doctor wouldn't induce this week if her due date is next week.

You'd think his wife would give the OK as well.

I mean... not 20 or 30 years ago it was fairly typical for the father to not be around for the birth...

Wordwoman
10-19-2005, 11:51 AM
In another post I mentioned that there was no way Paulie would miss the World Series when they could induce his wife ahead of time.

Now I just heard one of the local tv stations reporting that Paulie is not with the team practicing, and that his wife will probably be induced early tomorrow morning.

Never fear--------all is right with the world--------the Sox are in the Series------and Paulie will be there for every minute

Rocky Soprano
10-19-2005, 11:55 AM
If that report is true I would really be surprised.
Family comes first and the Sox have always shown that.

If it happens I am sure it was entirely the Konerko's decision.

patbooyah
10-19-2005, 11:56 AM
In another post I mentioned that there was no way Paulie would miss the World Series when they could induce his wife ahead of time.

Now I just heard one of the local tv stations reporting that Paulie is not with the team practicing, and that his wife will probably be induced early tomorrow morning.

Never fear--------all is right with the world--------the Sox are in the Series------and Paulie will be there for every minute

how sweet would it be to say that you were brought into the world a week early so that your dad could play in the world series.

kninchicago
10-19-2005, 12:00 PM
That kid's gonna be so proud of it's dad someday for doing great under the pressure of the World Series and all season long. I don't see an issue at all with a c-section or being induced early. The Konerko's have the money to get it done.

Chez
10-19-2005, 01:29 PM

So you wouldn't miss an important day (maybe even the most important day) of work to witness the birth of your first child? Yes, the World Series is important to Paulie and to us, but let's keep it in perspective. If you had tickets to Game #1 of the WS and your wife went into labor at 3:00 p.m. that day . . .

soxfan26
10-19-2005, 01:32 PM
how sweet would it be to say that you were brought into the world a week early so that your dad could play in the world series.

Even sweeter if you could say his 11 RBIs in the series helped the Sox win it in 5 games!

Randar68
10-19-2005, 01:38 PM

Not sure why they wouldn't induce labor this week. A few days is nothing at that point...

Stroker Ace
10-19-2005, 01:42 PM
PK's wife is pregnant and due in the next week or so. But I would not call that a dreaded event.Yeah, Maybe we will see another Mackowiack-esque performance on the date of birth.

Norberto7
10-19-2005, 01:43 PM
So you wouldn't miss an important day (maybe even the most important day) of work to witness the birth of your first child? Yes, the World Series is important to Paulie and to us, but let's keep it in perspective. If you had tickets to Game #1 of the WS and your wife went into labor at 3:00 p.m. that day . . .

Hey, you get to see the kid every freaking day for the next 18 years. Who cares if you miss some of the first? To be honest, I really can't remember if my Dad was there when I was born. :cool:

Personally, and I'm sure some of you will strongly disagree, childbirth is something I'd really rather not see. I've told my girlfriend if we ever get married and have kids, I'm not going to watch.

I'd play, no doubt.

getonbckthr
10-19-2005, 01:55 PM
protected sex only in january should be a new team rule.

Palehose13
10-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Not sure why they wouldn't induce labor this week. A few days is nothing at that point...

It is a big deal. You are going to force the kid be a libra when it was probably going to be a scorpio...the best sign of the zodiac. :cool: :tongue:

wdelaney72
10-19-2005, 02:03 PM
It is a big deal. You are going to force the kid be a libra when it was probably going to be a scorpio...the best sign of the zodiac. :cool: :tongue:
:tealpolice:

To quote one of my high school science teachers "Astronomy is a science, Astrology is a joke.

pinotgrigio
10-19-2005, 02:22 PM
"Personally, and I'm sure some of you will strongly disagree, childbirth is something I'd really rather not see. I've told my girlfriend if we ever get married and have kids, I'm not going to watch."

Betcha change your mind when the time comes.:tongue:

IggyD
10-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Betcha change your mind when the time comes.:tongue:

As a father of 2..I never witnessed the actual births and didn't want to. But, I was always there for support before the event and after. They (wife, girlfriend etc) need that support.

maurice
10-19-2005, 02:49 PM

Screw scorpios; libras rule!
:cool:

Here's to a World Series victory as a birthday present for you, my sister, and all the other scorpios out there.
:gulp:

SOXintheBURGH
10-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Yeah, Maybe we will see another Mackowiack-esque performance on the date of birth.

Favorite call ever living in Pittsburgh-

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY GARRETT!! YOUR DAD HAS JUST WON THE GAME!!!"

Wordwoman
10-19-2005, 02:59 PM

If my lifetime dream was to play in the World Series-------and there was any way in the world to have my cake and eat it too------I would celebrate the safe and healthy birth of my child before the Series started--------pick up my bat and get to the ballpark.

The birth of your child is a wonderful thing. Modern medicine is also wonderful in that it offers options for a variety of circumstances. I can think of no better "birth" day present than to know my father played an important part in bringing the world championship to the Chicago White Sox after so many years.

Whatever Paulie and his wife choose to do is fine by me. Having said that, here are some words of encouragement for Paulie's wife---------
PUSH!!!!

spiffie
10-19-2005, 03:03 PM
:tealpolice:

To quote one of my high school science teachers "Astronomy is a science, Astrology is a joke.

FALSE ALARM!

Even if you don't believe in it, Scorpio always gets the coolest descriptions in any sort of zodiac analysis. Such as this one from love.astrology.com

Scorpio and Sex
The Sex God of the Zodiac has quite a lot to live up to! The Scorpion does just that, thank you very much. The sexual prowess and drive of those born under this sign is legendary. Scorpions smolder with every come-hither look, alluring wink of an eye and mysterious stare. If you want to ride a tiger to an emotional and sexual crescendo, jump on the curvy back of the sleek Scorpion. The Scorpio lover has an almost hypernatural libido, and loves giving sensual pleasure, although receiving it is nice, too. Variety as the spice of life is the golden rule here, and Scorpio loves to choreograph the scene for maximum mutual satisfaction. Any lover stepping into this lair best be ready, since keeping up is a must. Scorpions adore a lover who can go on forever, the perfect gift for this truly sexual being. If that lover brings some toys along, things will be tied up oh-so-neatly. Ooh.

Crede_Fan
10-19-2005, 03:05 PM
How many births is that this year for the Sox? 4 ? Its been AJ, Crede, Freddy and now PK. Did I miss any? Maybe they need to make a ginder rule.

How great will it be for the kids... "I was born the year the Sox won the Series"

DMarte708
10-19-2005, 03:09 PM
You know, if I'm Paulie, I'm remaining on this team.

You can argue all you want about being there for a birth of a child, but this is the WORLD SERIES. Don't you think his wife would understand? Or his potential son/daughter in the future? This team needs Konerko.

Or how about both? This is 2005--where jets are capable of crossing large stretches of land in short periods of time. Paulie can do both, if necessary.

This team cannot survive without Konerko's bat and everyone here knows it. Let's not pull this emotional angle.

Palehose13
10-19-2005, 03:25 PM

Here's to a World Series victory as a birthday present for you, my sister, and all the other scorpios out there.

Ah yes, on October 25, 2003 Ozzie and the Marlins won the world series that day. It was a nice birthday present. I'm hoping that on October 25, 2005 the White Sox will give me a victory as a birthday present going up 3-0 on the national league team.

DrummerGeorgefan
10-19-2005, 03:35 PM
Hopefully the Konerko's arent covered by the Sox medical plan...as much as I love him, I dont know if Herm Schneider could handle this one...

CanBuehrleWait
10-19-2005, 03:51 PM

Yes Libras rule indeed. However I wouldn't be happier if the Sox gave em a present like that.

rmusacch
10-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Ok... not to be mean... but.... if you were a professional baseball player, wouldn't you try a little harder to schedule these sorts of things to happen any time but August - October?

He is pretty much still a newlywed. :)

mandmandm
10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Bruce Levine reporting that Paul's wife was induced today. Not much detail but the baby was delievered. ESPN 1000 4:32 PM.

CHIsoxNation
10-19-2005, 04:44 PM
Bruce Levine reporting that Paul's wife was induced today. Not much detail but the baby was delievered. ESPN 1000 4:32 PM.

If this is true, CONGRATS PAULIE!! He should be riding a pretty big high coming into Saturday.

longshot7
10-19-2005, 05:08 PM
FALSE ALARM!

Even if you don't believe in it, Scorpio always gets the coolest descriptions in any sort of zodiac analysis. Such as this one from love.astrology.com

As a fellow scorpio, let me just say this: IT'S ALL TRUE!!!!!

maurice
10-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Ah yes, on October 25, 2003 Ozzie and the Marlins won the world series that day. It was a nice birthday present. I'm hoping that on October 25, 2005 the White Sox will give me a victory as a birthday present going up 3-0 on the national league team.

Since the Sox have won 12 of their last 13 games (a span that includes 7 road games in Cleveland, Boston, and Anaheim), I'm not sure that you need to use deeppink. The Sox are an unstoppable juggernaut. Our pitching is indomitable. Our defense is impregnable. Opponents tremble before us. It's a beautiful thing.

http://www.adweek.com/aw/images/best_spots/best_spots_03/0512_bs08.gif
"Yo, Money! It's gotta be the babies!"