PDA

View Full Version : Erstad Acquired

AsInWreck
12-12-2001, 06:06 PM
Cbs.sportsline reports trade of Erstad for singleton, garland and 2 minor leaguers completed.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 06:08 PM
Your headline is wrong. It should read Erstad RENTED.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Your headline is wrong. It should read Erstad RENTED.

I'm going to step out on a limb and say they have him signed to an extension by opening day.

Flame away.

FarWestChicago
12-12-2001, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I'm going to step out on a limb and say they have him signed to an extension by opening day.
I'm going to step out on a limb and say an alien spacecraft will land on the White House lawn tomorrow.

It's kind of fun to make up stuff. :D:

chisoxt
12-12-2001, 06:14 PM

Flame away

Who is his agent? If its Scott Bora$, forget it.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I'm going to step out on a limb and say an alien spacecraft will land on the White House lawn tomorrow.

It's kind of fun to make up stuff. :D:

If George W. can be president anything is possible, even aliens. Again just my opinion but I think they'll sign him.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt

I'm not sure but with our luck it is.

danman31
12-12-2001, 06:31 PM
If George W. can be president anything is possible, even aliens. Again just my opinion but I think they'll sign him.

I think they'll sign him too, Erstad doesn't seem like a money thirsty guy, yet...

fuzzy_patters
12-12-2001, 06:37 PM
I don't think Erstad will be signed. I think this trade likely means that the Sox feel Borchard is less than a year away. This is a way to rent a centerfielder for a year while Borchard gets more seasoning.

cheeses_h_rice
12-12-2001, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
I don't think Erstad will be signed. I think this trade likely means that the Sox feel Borchard is less than a year away. This is a way to rent a centerfielder for a year while Borchard gets more seasoning.

That cannot be what Sox management is thinking. That would truly be a boneheaded trade -- 1 year on a good CF for Garland, Singleton and 2 minor leaguers?

Erstad has played almost as many games in LF for his career as CF. If & when Borchard is ready, I would be willing to bet that the Sox move Erstad over to LF (or put Borchard there, if he can play the position).

Which means buh-bye, El Caballo.

danman31
12-12-2001, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Jon Garland is a high price for a rent a CF.
From ESPN:The White Sox initially asked for a window of opportunity to negotiate a long-term deal with Erstad, but have relented and said they would make the trade regardless.
This shows me that they sure as hell want to sign him, it's a matter of will they. BTW, that whole article is in a different thread started by JM.

NUCatsFan
12-12-2001, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt

FWIW (which is about nothing at this point), his agent is Moorad.

guillen4life13
12-12-2001, 10:27 PM
Look. Close this thread, and possibly open it later, because of this:

BOSTON -- Here's how slow the third day of baseball's winter meetings was Wednesday: Not only had no trades occur through mid-evening, but a trade actually was un-made.

With a deal in place to send outfielder Darin Erstad to the Chicago White Sox, the Anaheim Angels backed out at the last minute when Angels' upper management reportedly balked.

The deal was to have sent Erstad to the White Sox for outfielder Chris Singleton, pitcher Jon Garland and three minor leaguers, a highly placed source told SportsLine.com.

The deal was contract-driven on the Angels' part, because they have been unable to agree to a multiyear deal with Erstad, and the two sides have agreed to simply negotiate a one-year contract -- after which Erstad can file for free agency.

Erstad, one season removed from a career year for the Angels, suffered through an injury-plagued season in 2000. Bothered by nagging back and knee troubles, Erstad batted just .258 with nine homers, 63 RBI and 24 steals in 2001.

Just one year earlier, Erstad battled .355 with 25 homers, 100 RBI and 28 steals for the Angels. One of their more popular players because of his grit, hustle and diving catches, Erstad also set an Angels record with 366 total bases in 2000, a number driven in part by a sparkling, career-high .355 on-base percentage.

A Midwest native -- Erstad is from Fargo, N.D., -- Erstad could be a highly popular player in Comiskey Park.

The White Sox were reluctant to part with the right-handed Garland, whom most scouts think is a coming star who went 6-7 with a 3.69 ERA for the White Sox in 2001.

So basically, the White Sox, yet again, screwed up another deal that could have improved the club.

DAMNIT!

:KW
"We did it for the good of the country. We figure that we'll see just how loyal these Sox fans are, and let an opportunity slip to get a leadoff hitter who could challenge Ichiro if he's on next year. Maybe we'll have more crowds next year!"

what a freaking jackass

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
So basically, the White Sox, yet again, screwed up another deal that could have improved the club.

No the Sox didn't do anything wrong this time. They agreed on a deal and the Angels upper management nixed the deal at the last minute. The buzz is that they nixed it because the lack of name value in Singleton and Garland.

cheeses_h_rice
12-12-2001, 10:45 PM

No the Sox didn't do anything wrong this time. They agreed on a deal and the Angels upper management nixed the deal at the last minute. The buzz is that they nixed it becasue the lack of name value in Singleton and Garland.

:slowswing

I'm huge in Poughkeepsie!