PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Past World Series'?

DieTrying79
10-19-2005, 12:45 AM
With Our Sox about to start (yes, my fingers are typing this) the WORLD SERIES on Saturday, it got me thinking about World Series' of days gone by. Some Fall Classics prove to be better and more riveting than others.

Personally, I loved the 1991 Braves/Twinkies clash. What World Series' stick out in your minds?

NOTE: We all know the 2005 World Series will prove to be the best (knocking on wood, looking to the sky)!:cool: :gulp:

Nellie_Fox
10-19-2005, 12:48 AM
We really need an "apostrophe police" tag.

Banix12
10-19-2005, 12:53 AM
The one I remember the most is the first one I ever saw on TV when I was a kid, the 1987 Twins/Cardinals series. After that one my favorite series was the 1993 Blue Jays/Phillies. I was upset the sox were out of it but I got a kick out of seeing Thigpen warm in the pen for the Phils, and the whole series was pretty impressive.

elrod
10-19-2005, 01:23 AM
1986. Easily. I am a Met fan and that series was a thing of beauty.

As for pure excitement from a baseball fan perspective, it would have to be 1991 or 2001.

doublem23
10-19-2005, 01:48 AM
1997 was pretty sick. I remember watching those games from my room upstairs at night before bed.

eastchicagosoxfan
10-19-2005, 04:51 AM
The 1982 Series stands out. The Cards beat Harvey's Wallbangers in seven. Talk about contrasting styles. The Cardinals had a rookie, E.T. Willie McGee, and the Brewers had Stormin' Gorman Thomas. Pitching, defense and speed, overcame power hitting.

Parrothead
10-19-2005, 06:37 AM
Easily, 1906, it was great to see the Sox beat the Cubs.:cool:

downstairs
10-19-2005, 08:25 AM
I've been watching the World Series since 1982... I've really gotten into and enjoyed nearly every one, not sure I have a favorite... so how about just a list of the ones that sucked since '82:

34 Inch Stick
10-19-2005, 09:08 AM
I liked the Royal-Cardinals battle made famous by the Dekinger call. I took great joy in watching Juaquin Andujar melt down (and he was always one bad call away from melting down).

The_Floridian
10-19-2005, 09:10 AM
I got two before this upcoming one:

The 1990 Series when the Reds swept the A's. My grandfather, who taught me about baseball, is a big Reds fan. That year, we followed every game together, as well as every pitching performance by Nolan Ryan and Jim Abbott, his two favorite players. I was thrilled to see the Reds go to the World Series, but he was clearly nervous that the A's were going to mop the floor with them and I was going to be crushed. He kept trying to protect me, saying things like, "Now don't be upset if they lose." When they won game 4, I called him and yelled, "Told you!" That was a wonderful year for me.

My other favorite was the 2001 Series. I was going to school in Flagstaff, Arizona at the time and pulling hard for the D-Backs, mostly because they were playing the Yankees. I went to Albuquerque for the weekend to hang out with friends and was at a poetry reading in a bar during the final few innings. My friend was actually in the middle of performing "Casey at the Bat" on stage when Gonzales hit the game winner. I did a lot of leaping around, and when I got back to school I collected 20 bucks from one of my professors who was a Yankee fan.

I have a lot of great Series memories, but I've been watching the Sox since they had spring training in my hometown when I was a kid, and I've never seen them in the Series until this year.

I get to see my team in the Series. What a great birthday present.

:bandance:

whitesoxwilkes
10-19-2005, 09:12 AM
1993 because I was there when Carter hit his homer.

SOXintheBURGH
10-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Florida and Cleveland was fun to watch.

Arizona and New York was just an awesome series.. all those come back wins and all the Diamondback wins off Rivera was just hilarious.

FJA
10-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Arizona and New York was just an awesome series.. all those come back wins and all the Diamondback wins off Rivera was just hilarious.

I might have to go with 2001 ... I don't like either of those teams, but I was probably more into the drama of that World Series than any other.

After that, '91, '92, '93, '96, '97, '03.

The first one I vividly remember was '89, but even then I hated the A's, probably didn't know much about the Giants, and mostly remember it for the earthquake.

fusillirob1983
10-19-2005, 09:59 AM
'91, '97, '01

SOXPHILE
10-19-2005, 10:12 AM
1982. Cardinals beat Brewers.

batmanZoSo
10-19-2005, 10:27 AM
The first World Series I ever watched was 1991 and it was simply amazing. I became a quasi-Braves fan late in the year with their miracle run, so I had a great time watching them play Pittsburgh in those great LCS matchups they had and then the World Series itself. Of course I was only 9 at the time, so you can rest assured my loyalties lie right here alone now.

The 1997 Series was great, too. I was a sophomore in high school and I had fun rooting for the Marlins to get their first championship and hoping the Jndjuns would lose. It was great by virtue of going 7 games and into extra innings, but I wouldn't put it above '91.

The funnest Series for me until this Saturday would have to be 2001. I was so pumped to see someone beat the Yankees who had been just unstoppable to that point. To watch one guy win game 6 and then win game 7 in relief while his team comes back in the bottom of the 9th to win it against the best postseason reliever ever, if not the best closer ever. Amazing. And this was only a few hours after watching the miracle Bears come back from down 21-7 with under 2 minutes left against Cleveland to win it in O.T. That was one hell of a sports day.

LongLiveFisk
10-19-2005, 10:44 AM
I liked the Royal-Cardinals battle made famous by the Dekinger call. I took great joy in watching Juaquin Andujar melt down (and he was always one bad call away from melting down).

I loved this Series too (1985) however I have a different view than you. I hated the Royals, still do, and wanted them to win NOTHING.

Special mention to the 1975 WS and Fisk, although they really overplayed the hell out of that one.

Jerko
10-19-2005, 10:45 AM
1975 Reds-Red Sox. I was a big Reds fan and I still follow them, and my buddy was a Red Sox fan back then. We still argue about that series to this day, even though we've both since gravitated to the White Sox and no longer give a ****!

TDog
10-19-2005, 11:02 AM
1975 Reds-Red Sox. I was a big Reds fan and I still follow them, and my buddy was a Red Sox fan back then. We still argue about that series to this day, even though we've both since gravitated to the White Sox and no longer give a ****!

I was at IU in Bloomington where Reds fans abounded in the fall of 1975. I was rooting for the Red Sox. I hated Joe Morgan before people realized how annoying he would be on television and radio. My hatred of Johnny Bench was there, and it only increases every year. Ditto Pete Rose. I liked some of the Red Sox players. I remember thinking before the fifth or sixth game what a great series it was. And it only got better.

Then in 1984, I got to go to Game 1 in San Diego, having won a company drawing for a pair of free tickets. Jack Murphy stadium was less than 170 miles away. When the Cubs melted down, I was elated because I was cheering hard for the Padres. I saw the first World Series Game ever played in San Diego. The Tigers destroyed the Padres, though.

I haven't been so excited about the World Series since, saving emotional investment for when the White Sox made it.

VenturaSoxFan23
10-19-2005, 11:14 AM
First: I'm thinking 1979. Pirates/Orioles. My aunt gave my brother & I a set of Official World Series Postage Envelopes, stamped for each day they played. I got the Pirates, he got the Orioles. I know I watched 1980 because my mom loved Pete Rose.

Favorite: Probably 1991. Riveting Series. 1986 comes close.

soxfan26
10-19-2005, 11:29 AM
I especially enjoyed watching the series in '87, '91, '01 & '03.

Lip Man 1
10-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Any of the Oakland A's 70's titles. Loved those Green, Gold and White uniforms (and all of the combinations...)

Lip

jdm2662
10-19-2005, 12:48 PM
The '91 series is the best series of my lifetime. It's also the only one I've ever really got into. Game seven in particular as is signficant, not only because of Jack Morris's 10 inning shutout, but what happened that day. I graduated grade school that summer, and the class had a little get together reunion on that night. The night of our ten year reunion, what game was being played on ESPN Classic. Yep, game seven of the 1991 Series.

Frater Perdurabo
10-19-2005, 12:50 PM
2001 was great for all the aforementioned reasons.

1989 was good. At the time I liked the A's (largely because of Tony LaRussa and the Bash Brothers). They had one hell of a great team and overcame the distraction of the earthquake to sweep the Giants.

I didn't care for the 1987 series because the Baggie Dome Twinks beat my favorite NL team, although it was dramatic. Because I then hated the Twins, I did not like the results of of the 1991 series, either.

The 1985 Series was the first one I ever watched with interest (I was 9), although I too thought the Cardinals were robbed on Dane Iorg's "catch."

I also have sporadic memories of the 1982 Series. I lived in Springfield, Illinois, at the time and was a Cardinal fan. (I became a Sox fan in 83 when I moved to Chicago.)

Madvora
10-19-2005, 12:56 PM
1988 - Dodgers-A's featured my favorite baseball moment of all time. The Kirk Gibson homerun.

2002 - The 2002 Angels were one of my all time favorite teams

2003 - The 2003 Marlins were also one of my favorite teams and made me want the Sox to shape a team after them more than ever.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-19-2005, 01:15 PM
As a fan (Since 1975):

1. 1986 - NY Mets over Boston 4-3. Lifelong Mets fan. Beating Boston is priceless.

2. 1985 - Kansas City over St. Louis 4-3. Royals are my third favorite team (White Sox, Mets, Kansas City & Houston - Favorite Four). Very good series.

3. 2003 - Florida over NY Yankees 4-2. Glad to see the "unbeatible" Yankees humbled by the team I will always have a soft sport for (along with the 1984 Padres & 1989 Giants). Was able to win some of the $3,000 I lost on the Gibson shot as I was in Vegas to watch the final games.

4. 1991 - Twins over Braves 4-3. Great series. I hated the Braves, their owners (Turner / Fonda), their tomahawk chop. Jack Morris was lights out. Great series.

Pre fandom / birth:

1. 1906 - Chicago White Sox over Cubs 4-2. Hitless wonders defeat the hyped cubs (some things never change). JR better put their World Series flag along with the 1901 AL Pennant flags up next season (along with our 2005 flag).

2. 1917 - Chicago White Sox over NY Giants 4-2. Our last championship.

3. 1969 - NY Mets over Baltimore 4-2. Miracle Mets!!! Not old enough to appreciate it / remember it but have seen games on MLB Classic.

4. 1955 - Brooklyn Dodgers over NY Yankees 4-3. I've been raised to hate the Yankees and no Yankee defeat hurt worse than this one. Great baseball and players on both squads. Wish I was alive to watch this one.

D. TODD
10-19-2005, 01:49 PM
#1 Mets beating the Red Sox. I really liked the Mets players so I had a clear rooting intrest. When they made their historic comeback it was great.

#2 Pittsburgh beating Orioles. We are family series, led by Pops Stargell.

#3 Yankees beat the Dodgers. Reggie three home runs, and Nettles great glovework at third.

DSpivack
10-19-2005, 02:06 PM
'91, '97, '01

Yeah, I would go with those same three. 1991 was the first I remember; my dad was sure the Braves were going to win, I was 6 or 7 or something and said the Twins would win. That was the first Series I remember watching.

1997 was exciting because I hated the Indians and was glad to see them lose.

2001 was possibly the most exciting; what with the Byung-Hun Kim back-to-back meltdowns, Schiling and RJ pitching, and the Yankees dynasty losing [and who would have known then that was "the last night of the yankees dynasty?].

Baby Fisk
10-19-2005, 02:48 PM
1992 - Because my best friend was a Jays fan and we were both in Skydome watching the final game being broadcast from Atlanta. After the final out, everyone went berzerk and rushed the field. We ran around the field, we slammed into the outfield wall, we tore apart the pitcher's mound (a chunk of it remains on display in my bedroom). This night is an especially precious memory because my friend died two years later. :(:

1991 - Game Seven. Jack Morris. WOW.

1986 - Mets! :smile:

ma-gaga
10-19-2005, 03:06 PM
1991 was my favorite. I knew it was a damn good series, but I didn't know that is was one of the top World Series EVER played!! Other than that, 2001 was a good series, and I am happy with the way 1997 ended (Just give me a good 7 game series). But neither really compares to 1991.

To this day, I still can't stand Atlanta.

C-Dawg
10-19-2005, 03:08 PM

1975 was great, as was 1976! The Red's October sweep in 1976 made up for the frustrating loss to the A's in 1972 and the playoff loss in '73 to the Mets (both back when I was a wee little lad).

And with the strong Sox season in 1990, I had dreams of a Cincinnati-White Sox World Series! That would have been sweet. :cool:

DaleJRFan
10-19-2005, 03:24 PM
The WSI staff physician will most likely agree with me, but the 2003 WS.. Josh Beckett, a 22 year old rookie throws a two hit shut out in Yankee stadium to win the world championship?? After outdueling the unbeatable Mark Prior to get there??? Does it get any better than that? Yes, it does. a SOX world series title! :redneck

johnny bench
10-19-2005, 03:27 PM
My hatred of Johnny Bench was there, and it only increases every year.
:o:
You probably weren't very happy after we won that series, were you?
JB
:D:

ChiSoxRowand
10-19-2005, 04:57 PM
I'd say 2001 was the best. 2003 would be second. Then 1997.

gogosox675
10-19-2005, 06:33 PM
I am also a Red Sox fan, so 2004 was a big one for me. My favorite pre-2000 World Series is the 1991 World Series. There was just so much drama in that Series. Even if you hate the Twins or the Braves, you have to admit that was a great Series.

PaulDrake
10-19-2005, 06:40 PM
It's ancient history I guess, but nothing before it or since compares to 1960. The seventh game had so many twists and turns. Mazeroski's blast in the bottom of the 9th off Ralph Terry has never been duplicated. Watch the film sometime if you haven't already. The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 and still lost. It was another time and place. Many old timers in Pittsburgh will tell you that the town went wild in a way it never did for the Steelers in the 70's. It's hard to believe. The Steelers absolutely own the place now, and the fans did tear down the house when the Steelers were super.

tifosiv122
10-19-2005, 06:49 PM
1986. Easily. I am a Met fan and that series was a thing of beauty.

86 with me as well. Although I was a White Sox fan, the Mets were second on my list. Gary Carter is the man (well, second...Thomas is). He's a class act and a great player.

I remember watching it at my grandparents house on their huge screen TV...there were plenty of people over to watch. I remember it like it was yesterday...Buchner and the ball.

The 2004 WS was kinda boring and one-sided...the ALCS was much more exciting...watching the Yankees choke is always great.

Erik

SouthSide_HitMen
10-19-2005, 07:29 PM
It's ancient history I guess, but nothing before it or since compares to 1960. The seventh game had so many twists and turns. Mazeroski's blast in the bottom of the 9th off Ralph Terry has never been duplicated. Watch the film sometime if you haven't already. The Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 and still lost. It was another time and place. Many old timers in Pittsburgh will tell you that the town went wild in a way it never did for the Steelers in the 70's. It's hard to believe. The Steelers absolutely own the place now, and the fans did tear down the house when the Steelers were super.

I watched an hour of the highlights during a rain delay at PNC Park and that was a great series.

Pittsburgh did a complete 180 in the 1970s. The Steelers, which always stunk, were golden and interest in the Pirates declined. My grandfather went to his first and only World Series as a guest of his friend who owned a True Value store and was one of those "corporate guests" people have been raging against elsewhere. The Pirates had trouble selling out the World Series in 1979.

They have a great ballpark - 1 of the top 5 or so today - and hopefully they will get a great team once again.

soxwon
10-19-2005, 07:31 PM
1967 st louis-boston

those teams of the 60's would blow away todays clubs..

the year of the Yaz, but the cards won.

1968 det-sl(i think) was awesome too.

soxwon
10-19-2005, 07:33 PM
first worldseries i recall watching was 1965 twins-dodgers.

my fave world series teams in those years were the orioles.
the 60's were heaven for baseball.

elrod
10-19-2005, 07:58 PM
86 with me as well. Although I was a White Sox fan, the Mets were second on my list. Gary Carter is the man (well, second...Thomas is). He's a class act and a great player.

I remember watching it at my grandparents house on their huge screen TV...there were plenty of people over to watch. I remember it like it was yesterday...Buchner and the ball.

The 2004 WS was kinda boring and one-sided...the ALCS was much more exciting...watching the Yankees choke is always great.

Erik

The funny thing is that the first five games of the 1986 Series were pretty boring. The only close game was Game One, which the Red Sox won 1-0 on Teufel's error in the 7th. Other than that, it was: Game Two, 9-3 Boston; Game Three, 7-1 Mets; Game Four, 6-2 Mets; Game Five, 4-2 Boston (and it was 4-0 until the 8th). Game Six was the first real thriller.

TDog
10-19-2005, 09:30 PM
:o:
You probably weren't very happy after we won that series, were you?
JB
:D:

Are you the same classless Johnny Bench that played for the Reds?

Nighttrain Wayne
10-19-2005, 09:31 PM
The Boston Red Sox battled the Big Red Machine of Cincinnati in one of the best series ever!!:D:

Chips
10-19-2005, 09:32 PM
I liked watching the 2001 and 2003 series best, not because the Yankees lost, but I thought they were the most interesting and climatic. The 2004 World Series was perhaps the worst series I have ever watched.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-19-2005, 09:44 PM
I liked watching the 2001 and 2003 series best, not because the Yankees lost, but I thought they were the most interesting and climatic. The 2004 World Series was perhaps the worst series I have ever watched.

Perhaps you missed the 2000 World Series?

My worst:

2000 - NY Yankees 4 NY Mets 1 (Mets my favorite team, Yankees one of least)
1981 - Los Angeles 4, NY Yankees 2 (Hate both teams didn't watch much of it)
1989 - BALCO 4, San Francisco 0 :puking:
1998 - NY Yankees 4, San Diego 0

DSpivack
10-20-2005, 12:06 AM

If I was alive for the series, it'd be far and away #1, I am sure of it.

soxwon
10-20-2005, 03:58 PM
It seems nobody appreciated the 60's like me!!
Im sure a lot of you were just children, then.
Or not even born yet.
Surely someone here loved the series from the 60's?

PaulDrake
10-20-2005, 04:11 PM
If I was alive for the series, it'd be far and away #1, I am sure of it. Don't get me wrong. I'm not an old fart that just lives in the past. 1960 was a truly remarkable WS. I hate to see it and Maz' homer get such short shrift. In the more modern era 86, 91 and 01 all had lots of excitement and drama.

Wsoxmike59
10-20-2005, 08:32 PM
My favorite World Series (I've been watching them since 1969....but can remember a few snippets from '68 as well)

1986 - Red Sox vs Mets: The drama of the Mets come back win in game #6 was a shocker. The road to the world series in both LCS made 1986 my favorite post season ever. (until 2005 of course!) :D:

1975 - Reds vs Red Sox - Wow hard to make this one # 2 on my list as it was one for the ages! This one had it all, big hits, great plays, future HOF'ers, and even some controversey with Pudge Fisk and Ed Armbrister!

1972 A's - Reds: Charlie Finley's A's vs the Big Red Machine. Classic series with tough A's pitching and defense overcoming Cincinnati's tough line up.

1977- Yankees vs Dodgers. Reggie, Reggie, Reggie! The straw that stirs the drink.

1991- Twins - Braves: Two worst to first teams and the beginning of the Braves run of Divisional Titles, yet falling short in the fall classic. Jack Morris' 10 inning Shutout in game 7 was a thing of beauty.

1971 & 1979 - Bucs - Orioles. The steel city twice wins the crown from Baltimore in 2 epic 7 game series. Clemente stole the show in '71.

mike squires
10-21-2005, 08:01 AM
I might have to go with 2001 ... I don't like either of those teams, but I was probably more into the drama of that World Series than any other.

After that, '91, '92, '93, '96, '97, '03.

The first one I vividly remember was '89, but even then I hated the A's, probably didn't know much about the Giants, and mostly remember it for the earthquake.

I would agree 2001. I think I was caught up in all the 9/11 happenings and actually found myself rooting for the Yankees. Those late inning comebacks and dramatic homeruns were great.

I used to be able to tell you who won which world series and who they played but as I have gotten older It's gotten harder to do. I just don't keep track of it as well as I did when I was younger.

Brian26
10-21-2005, 04:11 PM
First: I'm thinking 1979. Pirates/Orioles.

The first World Series I remember watching was when Reggie hit the three homers in '77 against the Dodgers. The thing that I remember most about the '79 series, though, was that Chuck Tanner, in the last game, seemed to make a bunch of pitching changes in the last couple of innings to try to get all of his pitchers in the game to experience the World Series. Maybe my memory is making it sound crazier than what really happened, so I'll have to check baseballalmanac...but it seemed like he made 6 or 7 pitching changes in the last couple of innings.

AZChiSoxFan
10-21-2005, 05:32 PM
I watched an hour of the highlights during a rain delay at PNC Park and that was a great series.

Pittsburgh did a complete 180 in the 1970s. The Steelers, which always stunk, were golden and interest in the Pirates declined. My grandfather went to his first and only World Series as a guest of his friend who owned a True Value store and was one of those "corporate guests" people have been raging against elsewhere. The Pirates had trouble selling out the World Series in 1979.

They have a great ballpark - 1 of the top 5 or so today - and hopefully they will get a great team once again.

It's funny you mentioned that, because I'm almost positive that the Pirates didn't sell out game 7 of the 1991 NLCS.

The_Floridian
10-21-2005, 05:56 PM
1968 det-sl(i think) was awesome too.

I wasn't born yet in '68, but I've seen full game replays of that unbelievable Game 7 duel between Lolich and Gibson. Mickey Lolich winning three games in the Series. Wow.

ElevenUp
10-21-2005, 06:09 PM
I was living in Phoenix in 2001. I actually got to go to game 6 for free! After the blown games by BY Kim, everyone in AZ wanted to kill him. Luckily for him the D-backs got to Rivera in game 7 or he would be up there with Buckner and Mitch Williams as All-Time WS goats.

FielderJones
10-21-2005, 07:03 PM
We really need an "apostrophe police" tag.

:hijacked:

This (http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif) is too big, but it expresses my sentiments well.

LongLiveFisk
10-21-2005, 07:53 PM
I wasn't born yet in '68, but I've seen full game replays of that unbelievable Game 7 duel between Lolich and Gibson. Mickey Lolich winning three games in the Series. Wow.

Full games? That's awesome. As much as I like ESPN Classic, they cut out way too much. Show the game in its entirety is the way I see it. But I'm sure it might be rough to show something like Game 6 of the '75 Series. That game went on for hours.

Brian26
10-21-2005, 11:17 PM
The thing that I remember most about the '79 series, though, was that Chuck Tanner, in the last game, seemed to make a bunch of pitching changes in the last couple of innings to try to get all of his pitchers in the game to experience the World Series.

Actually, it was Earl Weaver now that I finally have time to check this. Weaver made 5 pitching changes in the 9th inning of the final losing game.

house215
10-22-2005, 11:52 AM
The 94 World Series with the White Sox defeating the Expos. That was special year too because Frank set the new single season home run record. WHAT A GREAT YEAR FOR US SOX FANS! :redneck

hose
10-22-2005, 11:59 AM
My favorite WS was 1969 with Mets and Orioles going at it.

I was off the whole week of school with strep throat and was able to watch every game.

Couldn't of timed it better if I tried.:moonwalk:

VenturaSoxFan23
10-22-2005, 12:00 PM
I'm not old enough to see it first-hand, but the highlights of 1957 & '58 between the Braves & Yankees was pretty good.

Paulwny
10-22-2005, 01:21 PM
I was only able to see the last 3 innings.

1956-Don Larsen's perfect game.

I'm looking for 1 of the 4 Horsemen to accomplish this during the series !!!!

Railsplitter
10-22-2005, 01:35 PM
1974. The higlight film was shown during almost every Sox rain delay the following season. Though it went only five games, four of them were by the same score (3-2)

gobears1987
10-22-2005, 11:41 PM
1906, no explanation needed

DieTrying79
10-23-2005, 12:00 AM
As soon as I posted this thread, I had a sinking feeling the aposthrophe usage would be taken out of context! I meant it to denote if you had more than one favorite series, but oh well.

Let me put a vote in for the 1990 Cincy win over Oakland. I was a young little leaguer then, and thought the Reds were cool.

SouthSide_HitMen
10-23-2005, 01:25 AM
It's funny you mentioned that, because I'm almost positive that the Pirates didn't sell out game 7 of the 1991 NLCS.

Baseball has been dead there for the past few decades. They have a really nice park and good knowledgible fans but they just can't draw between the low payroll and the fact the town is football crazy and has been since the 1970s.

TommyJohn
10-23-2005, 08:48 AM
I've been trying for a while to come up with a favorite of the past series I've
seen. I liked 1991 and 1992. 1992 wasn't a classic really, but I did enjoy
watching it.

I also remember the 1977-78 matchups between the Yankees and Dodgers.
I was a little kid developing my interest in baseball back then, so I was really
into those two series. I saw the Dodgers as all that was good about us a
people, particularly Steve Garvey. Meanwhile the Yankees, Reggie Jackson
and Billy Martin were evil incarnate. I rooted like hell for the Dodgers both
times.

I remember several years where the LCS was far more interesting and
entertaining than the World Series. I loved the Royals-Yankees and
Phillies-Dodgers matchups. The one in 1980 between the Astros and
Phillies was a classic. 1986 has to go down as one of the greatest
postseasons in baseball history. Some great games in both LCS's and
game 6 of the Series. And who could forget 1988, when the Dodgers
took the arrogant New York Mets and the BALCO Bros. down a peg?

Hagan
10-23-2005, 11:43 AM
1991 wrold series. I went to every game in minnesota and it was just amazing.

wdelaney72
10-25-2005, 09:45 AM
2003 and 2002 were enjoyable because of the way in which Floriday and Anaheim played. They played complete baseball. The problem with those series is I think it's unfair how the wild card gets to compete on a level playing ground with the division winners. I like the idea of the wild card but the team should only get 1 home game in the first series, but that's another argument for another day.All-time favorite that I can actually remember has to be the '79 "We Are Family Pirates". This was probably the first world series I remember watching as a kid.

PaulDrake
10-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Baseball has been dead there for the past few decades. They have a really nice park and good knowledgible fans but they just can't draw between the low payroll and the fact the town is football crazy and has been since the 1970s. Demographics are important too. Pittsburgh was the 7th most populous metro area in 1940. It was 8th in 1950. I don't think it's in the top 20 today.

MarySwiss
10-25-2005, 12:45 PM
2001, because I live in Arizona and because the D'Backs beat the stinking Yankees. I still remember the goosebumps I felt as Randy Johnson walked in from the bullpen in Game 7, and I cannot wait to feel whatever sensation I'll feel when we win the World Series! Probably unbridled glee bordering on hysteria!