PDA

View Full Version : Game #1 Location for DC Area Sox Fans

SoxFan64
10-18-2005, 10:00 PM
After we missed getting together for Game #5 of the ALCS, I think we should try and get a group of Sox fans together for the start of the series.

Someone earlier suggested Buffalo Billiards which on 19th close to Dupont Circle Metro. I think that works best seeing how we have Virginians, Washingtonians and Marylanders.

So post here if you like this site. If you have a better -- but still centrally located -- site let us know.

FJA
10-18-2005, 10:49 PM
After we missed getting together for Game #5 of the ALCS, I think we should try and get a group of Sox fans together for the start of the series.

Someone earlier suggested Buffalo Billiards which on 19th close to Dupont Circle Metro. I think that works best seeing how we have Virginians, Washingtonians and Marylanders.

So post here if you like this site. If you have a better -- but still centrally located -- site let us know.

Buffalo Billiards works well for me ... probably the best central location.

DC Sox Fan
10-18-2005, 11:17 PM
I'll be up in the DE/Philly area for game one, but would definitely be interested in gatherings for future games.

I know someone out here posted they had gone to Damon's in Chantilly for the ALDS clincher. That would be ideal for me, but I'm up for whatever works best for everyone...

NDSox12
10-18-2005, 11:31 PM
I'll be up in the DE/Philly area for game one, but would definitely be interested in gatherings for future games.

I know someone out here posted they had gone to Damon's in Chantilly for the ALDS clincher. That would be ideal for me, but I'm up for whatever works best for everyone...

I was the one who went to Damon's, but that was only because I was meeting my sister who had a flight into Dulles that afternoon. I would prefer something closer to the city (as I'm sure most of the other DC people would as well).

Buffalo Billiards sounds pretty good, however I'm not 100% certain about my plans for Saturday yet. I'll let you know if I am able to meet up with some of you.

soxfan26
10-19-2005, 05:34 AM
My weekend plans are uncertain as well, but Buffalo Billards sounds like a good spot. Keep me posted!

soxfan26
10-19-2005, 08:42 AM
^bump. Where are all the DC Sox fans at???

anotherDCsoxfan
10-19-2005, 09:15 AM
knock on wood...I'm going to be at the game for work...
but count me in next week

asindc
10-19-2005, 09:26 AM
If I'm not in Chicago at the game, then yes, Buffalo Billiards sounds good to me.

Hokiesox
10-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Buffalo Billiards for me! I'll be there.

FJA
10-19-2005, 09:30 AM
If I'm not in Chicago at the game

That actually goes for me as well ... I just checked their Web page, and as soon as we know how many we have, we can actually call and reserve one of their viewing areas in order to make sure we have one of the big screens.

Hokiesox
10-19-2005, 09:44 AM
I will be bringing my wife. So, 2 for the Hokiesox party, please.

vafan
10-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Just saw this post. I'll e-mail Cabiness, who might be interested if he didn't get tickets.

soxfan26
10-19-2005, 10:55 AM
That actually goes for me as well ... I just checked their Web page, and as soon as we know how many we have, we can actually call and reserve one of their viewing areas in order to make sure we have one of the big screens.

Nice! I got the wife's permission this morning so I'll be there! :gulp:

vafan
10-19-2005, 11:10 AM
Right now I'm planning to come and bring another Sox fan. It sounds like we have consensus on the place, so I'm going to post this info on Sox Talk, and the official site message board.

Glebe
10-19-2005, 12:50 PM
Oh excellent, I was hoping to find a DC thread. Add two or more to the count!

vafan
10-19-2005, 01:43 PM
No replies yet on Soxtalk. But Cabiness and Chitown69 said they're coming, and cabiness said to count 2 for him.

SoxFan64
10-19-2005, 02:47 PM
I just checked their Web page, and as soon as we know how many we have, we can actually call and reserve one of their viewing areas in order to make sure we have one of the big screens.

FJA,

Do you want to be the point of contact with the bar? We can just tally RSVPs (or something like that -- no need to be THAT formal) on this board.

I will be coming with another hard core Sox fan on Saturday. So there will be two Silver Spring Sox fans at Buffalo's on Saturday.

By my count we have thirteen with a "yes" for Buffalo's on Saturday:

SoxFan64 plus one;
Mr and Mrs. HokieSox;
FJA;
SoxFan26;
Cabiness for two;
Chitown69;
Glebe for two;
Vafan for two.

Anyone else?

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

FJA
10-19-2005, 05:24 PM
FJA,

Do you want to be the point of contact with the bar? We can just tally RSVPs (or something like that -- no need to be THAT formal) on this board.

I will be coming with another hard core Sox fan on Saturday. So there will be two Silver Spring Sox fans at Buffalo's on Saturday.

By my count we have thirteen with a "yes" for Buffalo's on Saturday:

SoxFan64 plus one;
Mr and Mrs. HokieSox;
FJA;
SoxFan26;
Cabiness for two;
Chitown69;
Glebe for two;
Vafan for two.

Anyone else?

:gulp::gulp::gulp:

Sure, I'll be the contact man. I'll probably also bring two or three people with me. I'll give Buffalo Billiards a call tomorrow or first thing Friday if we're still generating responses.

I don't think the reservation is so much a formal matter as it is making sure they know that a fairly large fan group is coming and setting up their big screens accordingly. I'll tell them somewhere between 15 and 20 people will be there unless others start responding in greater numbers.

Number 9
10-19-2005, 05:46 PM
I'm flying into DC Sat for a conference and was hoping to find someplace comfortable, ie, someplace with Sox fans, to watch games 1 & 2. If you don't mind this NH fan would love to join you.

Gil1957
10-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Count me in.

vafan
10-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Add Sheetzie to the list for either 1 or two. And Chitown69 is in for 2.

asindc
10-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Count me in as well. I was holding out for tiks to the 1st game, but it's not happening.

soxfan26
10-20-2005, 01:41 PM
^bump. Only 53 hours left to go!!!

mrmalaprp
10-20-2005, 03:45 PM
My wife and I are longtime fans (yes, I can tell you the batting order of the '59 Go-Go Sox and once shook Early Wynn's hand). Every year we come in from Chicago for a 'Skins game at FedEx and so, decided way back in July to attend this weekend's event against the 49ers as our road trip, never thinking about a potential baseball conflict. The funny part is that we generally meet friends for a burger and a beer after the game--at, ta da, Buffalo Billiards. So if you see a couple of obvious out-of-towners on Sunday (not sure where we will be on Saturday), stop by and say hi.

Hokiesox
10-20-2005, 04:11 PM
My wife and I are longtime fans (yes, I can tell you the batting order of the '59 Go-Go Sox and once shook Early Wynn's hand). Every year we come in from Chicago for a 'Skins game at FedEx and so, decided way back in July to attend this weekend's event against the 49ers as our road trip, never thinking about a potential baseball conflict. The funny part is that we generally meet friends for a burger and a beer after the game--at, ta da, Buffalo Billiards. So if you see a couple of obvious out-of-towners on Sunday (not sure where we will be on Saturday), stop by and say hi.

"Obvious out-of-towners" in the tourist capital of the world. Don't worry, nobody looks out of place here, we'll never know. :D:

SoxFan64
10-20-2005, 07:26 PM
By my count we now have seventeen with a "yes" for Buffalo's on Saturday:

SoxFan64 plus one;
Mr and Mrs. HokieSox;
FJA;
SoxFan26;
Cabiness for two;
Chitown69 for two;
Glebe for two;
Vafan for two;
Number 9;
Gil1957;
Sheetzie for one / two;

And maybe:
Mr and Mrs mrmalaprp

Please let us know if you want to join the growing group DC Sox fans. We can take more.

:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Tempe
10-20-2005, 07:50 PM
I just moved to the Baltimore area. I think I'll make this drive.... Checking Mapquest....

Wow!!!

Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 23 minutes Total Est. Distance: 67.35 miles

Oh well This sounds like it's worth it! I finish work at 6. I would need to take off immediately!

Jimmy

SoxFan64
10-20-2005, 08:11 PM
I just moved to the Baltimore area. I think I'll make this drive.... Checking Mapquest....Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 23 minutes Total Est. Distance: 67.35 miles

You must live north of Baltimore -- somewhere up Rt. 83. I think getting off at Connecticut Avenue from the DC Beltway and head south should be your fastest route. You are welcome -- if you can't find a group in Baltimore based Sox fans to cheer with.

Tempe
10-20-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm in Westminster, MD...

NDSox12
10-20-2005, 09:00 PM

SoxFan64 plus one;
Mr and Mrs. HokieSox;
FJA;
SoxFan26;
Cabiness for two;
Chitown69 for two;
Glebe for two;
Vafan for two;
Number 9;
Gil1957;
Sheetzie for one / two;

And maybe:
Mr and Mrs mrmalaprp

Please let us know if you want to join the growing group DC Sox fans. We can take more.

There is a pretty good chance I'll be there as well, but don't count me in as a sure thing just yet. Looks like it is going to be a very nice sized group of Sox fans!

SOXintheBURGH
10-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Sorry fellas, moved out of Merlin on Labor Day to be in Chicago for this glorious occasion. :cool:

Hokiesox
10-20-2005, 10:30 PM
Sorry fellas, moved out of Merlin on Labor Day to be in Chicago for this glorious occasion. :cool:

Did you happen to live in Balmer? I don't remember :redneck

asindc
10-21-2005, 09:09 AM

SoxFan64 plus one;
Mr and Mrs. HokieSox;
FJA;
SoxFan26;
Cabiness for two;
Chitown69 for two;
Glebe for two;
Vafan for two;
Number 9;
Gil1957;
Sheetzie for one / two;

And maybe:
Mr and Mrs mrmalaprp

You keep forgetting to add me to the list!:smile:

SoxFan64
10-21-2005, 09:56 AM
By my count we now have eighteen with a "yes" for Buffalo's on Saturday:

SoxFan64 plus one;
Mr and Mrs. HokieSox;
FJA;
SoxFan26;
Cabiness for two;
Chitown69 for two;
Glebe for two;
Vafan for two;
Number 9;
Gil1957;
Sheetzie for one / two; AND LEAST I FORGET :wink:
asindc

And maybe:
Mr and Mrs mrmalaprp

FJA
10-21-2005, 10:03 AM

SoxFan64 plus one;
Mr and Mrs. HokieSox;
FJA;
SoxFan26;
Cabiness for two;
Chitown69 for two;
Glebe for two;
Vafan for two;
Number 9;
Gil1957;
asindc

And maybe:
Mr and Mrs mrmalaprp

This is great. I'm going to call over there today when they open and let them know we have a large group coming around 7PM EST (unless people are planning on arriving earlier). I'll let everyone know if we have a designated spot.

Glebe
10-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Hi, I kinda have to un-rsvp for the weekend games, but if you all are still doing it for the weekday games I will most likely join.

SoxFan64
10-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Hi, I kinda have to un-rsvp for the weekend games, but if you all are still doing it for the weekday games I will most likely join.

Too bad about Saturday. :(:

I probably will stay closer to home for weekday games -- but then again maybe not.:wink:

We can continue to post here or start a new thread for each game to let people where to find fellow Sox fans in the DC area.

So it looks like with Glebe with two drops us down to 16.

SOXintheBURGH
10-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Did you happen to live in Balmer? I don't remember :redneck

I went to a bunch of games when the Sox played in Balmer!

The Racehorse
10-21-2005, 02:30 PM

SoxFan64 plus one;
Mr and Mrs. HokieSox;
FJA;
SoxFan26;
Cabiness for two;
Chitown69 for two;
Glebe for two;
Vafan for two;
Number 9;
Gil1957;
asindc

And maybe:
Mr and Mrs mrmalaprp

So it looks like with Glebe with two drops us down to 16.

Make that seventeen at Buffalo Billiards... because I am there. :cool:

:bandance:

Tempe
10-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Make that seventeen at Buffalo Billiards... because I'm am there. :cool:

:bandance:

Make it 18... ya forgot me :) I hope to be there by 7:30. I finish work around 6 pm and have an hour and 20 min drive. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR QUICK PARKING? I have never been to DC. I want to park, show my ID, and walk in the place :)

Jimmy

FJA
10-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Make it 18... ya forgot me :) I hope to be there by 7:30. I finish work around 6 pm and have an hour and 20 min drive. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR QUICK PARKING? I have never been to DC. I want to park, show my ID, and walk in the place :)

Jimmy

Tempe, let me get back to you on this. I live not too far from Dupont Circle, and I was just planning on going on a run ... I'll run down that way and take a look.

FJA
10-21-2005, 04:44 PM
This is great. I'm going to call over there today when they open and let them know we have a large group coming around 7PM EST (unless people are planning on arriving earlier). I'll let everyone know if we have a designated spot.

Alright - called over to Buffalo Billiards and their "event coordinator" was not in. I have a lunch get-together tomorrow right around Dupont Circle, and I'll try to pop my head into Buffalo Billiards then to see if I can get anything more set in stone.

Otherwise, the guy assured me that the game would be on the big screens, and I told him that we'd have around 20 people coming in, so they at least know we'll be there.

The only obvious conflict as far as space goes is college football, and looking at the schedule, we should be getting there toward the end of the Texas/Texas Tech game, which might draw a crowd. The place is HUGE, though, and I don't see any reason why we won't be able to arrive between 6:30 and 7 and stake out an area near a big screen.

FJA
10-21-2005, 06:46 PM

Jimmy

Jimmy - Just ran down to Dupont, and there is a parking garage right next to Buffalo Billiards that will allow you to park, show your ID and walk in the place, quickly and in that order. :cool: There are also meters all around, but I wouldn't bet on that being quick on a Saturday night. I'm assuming you'll be coming down Connecticut from the north - one important thing to remember is, right as you get to Dupont Circle, you can either take a tunnel under, or go around the circle. Do not take the tunnel! Go around the circle in the outside loop and turn right on 19th St. Buffalo Billiards will be on your right hand side, with the parking garage just past it.

For anyone taking the Metro, you'll want to take the Red Line to Dupont Circle and get out at the 19th St. exit (I think that's how it will be marked, but whatever you do, don't take the Q St. exit). As you come up the escalator, look to your right, and directly across the street you will see Baja Fresh, Buffalo Billiards (which is down the stairs from Baja Fresh) and The Front Page.

It's easy to miss if you're not looking for the large staircase under the Baja Fresh. I'd say PM me for my cell phone number in case you get lost, but it sometimes doesn't work down there. You might want to carry the bar's phone number with you just in case. I'm assuming everyone will be wearing their Sox pride ... I'll be wearing my AL Champs shirt and fitted hat.

Do we want to pick one of the TVs or a section of the bar to meet at?

Frank

soxfan26
10-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Do we want to pick one of the TVs or a section of the bar to meet at?

Frank

I think meeting around a TV would be best but I've never been in the place so what do I know?

I think we just lined up a babysitter so Mrs. sf26 can come along as well! :smile:

soxfan26
10-22-2005, 08:25 AM
^bump. Gotta keep us on the front page!

The Racehorse
10-22-2005, 12:38 PM
^bump. Gotta keep us on the front page!

^second-bump^

... I just got back from the gym. I end all my workouts with 20-minutes on the treadmill. Those 20-minutes seemed to take an hour!

**George C. Scott doing George S. Patton voice** ... "let's get this game cranked up! We're gonna go through them like CRAP through a Goose! Let's GO!!"

:supernana:

soxfan26
10-22-2005, 02:07 PM
**George C. Scott doing George S. Patton voice** ... "let's get this game cranked up! We're gonna go through them like CRAP through a Goose! Let's GO!!"

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/images/030423.jpg

"We are advancing constantly and we're not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy. We're going to hold onto him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass."

The babysitter will be here at 5:30 to take care of the kid so Mrs. sf26 and I are confirmed, we'll see you all there!!

SoxFan64
10-22-2005, 04:39 PM
I think many of you are already on your way. But I am leaving now from Wheaton and I will get there around 7:00 or so. I will meet everyone around the largest TV with the game on.

I just moved so I can't find my Sox hat (old beat up and dirty -- proving that I did not just join the bandwagon). Take care

Tempe
10-22-2005, 05:19 PM
OK folks I just got out of work and I'm on MD-140 on my way to I-795. This will my first trip to DC. Wish me luck!!

Jimmy

SoxFan64
10-22-2005, 07:18 PM
OK folks I just got out of work and I'm on MD-140 on my way to I-795. This will my first trip to DC. Wish me luck!! Jimmy

Tempe, you made it and you look good in your Sox gear. I never knew we could get 30+ WSI fans in a DC bar.

Tempe
10-22-2005, 07:25 PM
"Houston you have a problem."

Dye with the HR!!!!!

I'll post pix from Buffalo Billiards later tonight :)

Tempe

Hokiesox
10-23-2005, 12:33 AM
What a great time that was! That family that showed up behind me was awesome. I kept telling them about the site, but I don't think they were getting it.

Oh well, we all had a blast, and who knew we had that many Sox fans in DC? I sure didn't.

FJA
10-23-2005, 01:30 AM
What a great time that was! That family that showed up behind me was awesome. I kept telling them about the site, but I don't think they were getting it.

Oh well, we all had a blast, and who knew we had that many Sox fans in DC? I sure didn't.

Good time ... can't wait for the pics, Tempe!

NDSox12
10-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Hey folks,

I had a great time tonight! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet all of you. I arrived a bit late so my sister and I just grabbed a place at the bar. I was the one at the bar with the home white jersey on.

Hopefully we can do this again some time!

Kevin

SoxFan64
10-23-2005, 01:55 AM
I'm sorry I didn't get to meet all of you. I arrived a bit late so my sister and I just grabbed a place at the bar. I was the one at the bar with the home white jersey on... Hopefully we can do this again some time!

NDSox12,

Anyone who grew up a Sox fan in the nw suburbs (the land of the Flubs) is always welcome. Heck a Sox fan from anywhere is better than any other.

I know some of the folks are going to be back to Buffalo Billiards tonight (Sunday) but with it being a night game on a school night it may be hard to capture the same crowd.

I do know that I talked with FJA about going back to Buffalo if (and hopefully when) we are in a clinching game. Just may mean that I will get a case of the "Sox flu" on the morning after. :D:

So stay posted. I am glad I got to meet you and your sis.

vafan
10-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks SoxFan64 for the great idea pulling DC Sox fans together. I've never had so much fun watching a Sox game. Loved the renditions of Take Me Out To the Ballgame and Na na na na, na na na na, hey, hey-ay, goodbye. It was the next best thing to being in Chicago.

Count me in for a series-clinching celebration!

Tempe
10-23-2005, 06:29 PM

I was probably the last person to leave. I sat and talked to the mother for a long time. I explained how we all met. They are from some burb south of Orland Park. I forget where. I was explaining how all this summer I'd be up at Steak and Shake for the weekend informal car shows just about each week. They were fun to talk to....

Hey folks,

I had a great time tonight! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet all of you. I arrived a bit late so my sister and I just grabbed a place at the bar. I was the one at the bar with the home white jersey on.

Hopefully we can do this again some time!

Kevin

Bah next time just steal a chair from the bar and come hang with us!

Jimmy