PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Erstad could walk

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 05:56 PM
Report: Angels send OF Erstad to White Sox in five-player swap
December 12, 2001

CHICAGO (TICKER) -- Anaheim Angels outfielder Darin Erstad, just one year removed from a Most Valuable Player-caliber season, apparently has been traded to the Chicago White Sox.

ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago is reporting that Anaheim general manager Bill Stoneman and White Sox general manager Ken Williams have agreed on a deal that would send outfielder Ken Singleton, righthanded starter Jon Garland and two minor leaguers to the Angels in exchange for Erstad.

According to ESPN 1000, The deal is contingent upon the approval of Anaheim president Tony Tavares. The White Sox initially asked for a window of opportunity to negotiate a long-term deal with Erstad, but have relented and said they would make the trade regardless.

Erstad appeared to be on the verge of a breakthrough season in 2000 when he hit .355 with 25 homers, 100 RBI and 121 runs scored. But he slumped to .258 with just nine homers and 63 RBI last season.

Erstad earned $3.45 million last season and could easily double that through arbitration in February.

Singleton, who batted .298 with seven homers, 45 RBI and 12 stolen bases last season, should play center field between Garret Anderson and Tim Salmon.

Garland, 22, is one of the most highly touted pitching prospects in baseball. He was 6-7 with a 3.69 ERA in 35 appearances, 16 starts, in 2001. He joins Ramon Ortiz, Jarrod Washburn and Scott Schoeneweis in one of the game's better young rotations.

MaggPipes
12-12-2001, 05:59 PM
on the upside we still have Chris Singleton lol.....Kenny decided to send them KEN singleton....:)

cheeses_h_rice
12-12-2001, 06:00 PM
OK, that's not good. If this turns out to be a 1-year deal, it is a brutal, brutal, brutal trade. The only upside would be if the Sox won the crown in '02.

Now I just wonder who the 2 minor leaguers are?

:KW

These guys called Kris Honel and Jon Rauch -- I really don't know much about them.

Jerry_Manuel
12-12-2001, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes
on the upside we still have Chris Singleton lol.....Kenny decided to send them KEN singleton....:)

Let the record show I did not type Ken that was the way it was.

Tragg
12-12-2001, 06:03 PM
We paid an incredibly high price for this player. This is higher than the playoff teams used to pay for players in the july trading deadline.

Can KW ever get a bargain? EVER?????

danman31
12-12-2001, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by MaggPipes

The Sox players are getting dissed. First I saw ESPN spelled is John Garland and now this, geez.

bringbackrobin
12-12-2001, 06:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
[B]OK, that's not good. If this turns out to be a 1-year deal, it is a brutal, brutal, brutal trade.

Very true, though I would say it's a pretty brutal trade even if we do win the privelage of overpaying Erstad for the next few years.