PDA

View Full Version : Torre to return for 2006 season

Joosh
10-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051018&content_id=1254077&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Wow, I am honestly very surprised.

RKMeibalane
10-18-2005, 09:56 PM
He'll be gone by June 1.

Chips
10-18-2005, 10:31 PM
He'll be gone by June 1.

I don't see him getting canned or resigning, he's won the division 8 straight seasons, he has 4 World Series rings. They will be on their way to a ninth straight title.

RKMeibalane
10-18-2005, 10:44 PM
I don't see him getting canned or resigning, he's won the division 8 straight seasons, he has 4 World Series rings. They will be on their way to a ninth straight title.

I didn't say he'd be fired. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he quit in the middle of next season. In spite of what he said earlier this week, Torre seems to be getting tired of Steinbrenner meddling in his afairs. Granted, Stenbrenne is Torre's boss, and so he is within his right to look over Joe's shoulder, but I can't help getting the feeling that Torre's patience is wearing thin.

doublem23
10-18-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm really not that shocked. Last year was a real struggle by recent, Yankee standards, and they got the job done and went on a tear at the end of the year to win the division. Steinbrenner may have a reputation for being a complete nut, but he understands PR, and he's got a pretty good understanding of what the New York Yankee organization was before Torre arrived, and probably knows what it would be like if he left.

ChiSoxRowand
10-18-2005, 11:58 PM
I guess the Yankees are looking at Leo Mazzone. Better him than Coop, but I don't want to see rockin Leo with the Yankees.

antitwins13
10-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051018&content_id=1254077&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Wow, I am honestly very surprised.

I don't know why you are surprised? The Yankees will pay him more than anybody else will be willing to pay him.

Nellie_Fox
10-19-2005, 01:46 AM
I don't know why you are surprised? The Yankees will pay him more than anybody else will be willing to pay him.When is enough money enough? How much are people who are already wealthy beyond our wildest imaginations willing to debase themselves to Steinbrenner for a few more dollars?

I really hoped he'd have the character to tell King George to stuff it.

SOXPHILE
10-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Thank God this was all over ESPN last night. I enjoyed Kruk and Reynolds discussing it for a segment, the live report from inside an empty Yankee Stadium, the interview with Mrs. Torre, Joe Torre's press conference, the quotes from Steinbrenner, and of course, the discussion and graphics on Sportscenter asking "What can the Yankees do to get back to the World Series". There definatly isn't enough Yankee discussion on ESPN, and it was good to finally see them get their due. Note: All of the above things are actually what happened on ESPN. No joke.

Nellie_Fox
10-19-2005, 02:48 PM
You know, pretty much all I hear around Minnesota these days is people asking "what will it take for the Yankees to get back to the World Series?" I think that pressing concern is foremost on everyone's mind. The earth might just spin off its orbit if this continues much longer.

tifosiv122
10-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Big mistake. Torre is too easy on the team. Big George had nothing to do with their failure this year. Too many high priced egos and Torre couldn't put the fear of god in them. Torre got every player he wanted and couldn't pull it off. Making the post-season is nothing, anything less then a world series apperance is failure for the amount of talent they paid for.

Lou P would have been good...Ozzie wouldn't have done well with them...try explaining to A-Rod to lay down a sac bunt for the team...yeah right.

They need a manager who can yell and scream. Torre is and always will be a pushover.

Notice how the day after the meeting with George they went on a winning streak early in the season...why? Because he put the fear of god in them. I'm sure it wasn't a pleasant experience. They need that on a regular basis.

While we are at it, Francona should be next...I know we are good, but we made Boston look like Kansas City. It shouldn't have been that one-sided.

Erik