PDA

View Full Version : Win or Lose, who stays, who goes?

whitesoxfan1986
10-18-2005, 06:54 PM
I have a feeling that Konerko and Garland are not going to be back next year.
Who do you think will be leaving the Sox this offseason? Who do you think stays?

Fuller_Schettman
10-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Why wouldn't Garland be back? We have an option on him.

I think that El Duque will be gone. Possibly Rowand if we can find another outfielder or give Anderson his shot. I could see Everett leaving also, replaced by Big Frank. Paulie will be re-signed by us. Other than that, the focus will be on staying healthy and repeating.

SOXintheBURGH
10-18-2005, 07:01 PM
:borass:

"Joe Crede sold me his soul for a few clutch RBI.... Mwahahahahaha!"

Chips
PK is coming back, Garland is coming back for sure. Crazy Carl will probably be gone and Marte might see the exit door as well.

SweetnesSox
We'll pick up the Option on Garland, be able to re-sign Rowand, and God willing we'll be able to buy out Frank's contract and use the 3.5 mil or whatever towards a new contract for him.

Palehose13
10-18-2005, 07:10 PM
IIRC, aren't Konerko and Everett the only two guys that can become FA's?

I think Konerko is staying and I still don't know how I feel about that. I think Carl may be gone after this year and KW possibly signing a FA OF/DH. As much as I love Frank Thomas, I don't know if he is coming back.

But hey...isn't it about 2 weeks too early for this thread?

SoxFan64
10-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Garland is arbritation eligible. So he is still cheap for a front line pitcher. Jerry likes that. :smile:

CC he gone. That's around $5 million saved.

Marte he goes to camp and then if we find someone else better in camp; marte he gone.

They buy out Frank $3.5 mil; re-sign him to an incentive laced contract of around $4 upper limit, $1.5 min..

If they can get PK for $12-$14 mil per yr. he stays, otherwise he gone. Difference could be # of yrs.

El Duque has another year at $4.5 million could be traded, could stay.

AJ & Crede are arbritration eligible too. So I think they will stay because ultimately Sox mgmt has the upper hand.

Harris probably gone.

Dustin could be released with balky back and a healthy Jenks & Cotts in the pen.

Current payroll $75 million (then minus the money that the Shankees gave us for Jose around $5 million of his $8) means our total payroll was another $70 million.

Expect the 06 Sox to have a payroll in the mid 80's (at best) or $15 million more than they put out last year.

Rowland stays because he has another year on a low ball contract. Same with Dye has one more year on a $5 mil (approx) contract.

Uribe and Guchi stay because they are under contract and underpaid.

Garcia, Contreras & Buerhle stay -- under contract.

BMac moves into the #5 slot. El Duque goes to the pen. Vizcaino could be part of package to another team or just a package to Charlotte.

Look for upgrades in b/u C; LTP is out of options so he has to have a heck of spring to stay, or Borchard could be part of low level trade with another team.

Look for minor signings of a LH Reliever; back-up catcher (maybe Olivio comes back); expect competition for utility inf. between Ozuno (sp?), Blum and someone they bring in.

Could lose Cooper to NYY so we may need to reach into minor leagues for a pitching coach (Dotson maybe).

Expect them to look to Japan for another pick-up of some kind.

These are just some opening thoughts. :o:

veeter
10-18-2005, 07:28 PM
I don't like this topic at all, at this time. Baseball, as we all know, is a business. However, this season and especially all that's transpired over the last three weeks, has let us all forget about the business end. We've all returned to being kids and just loving the Sox. Let's not ruin it.

whitesoxfan1986
10-18-2005, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=Fuller_Schettman]Why wouldn't Garland be back? We have an option on him.

I did not know that. I thought he was going to be arbitration eligible and he might want more than Uncle Jerry would be willing to pay him. Konerko will be a hot commodity come the offseason. someone is going to offer him a ridiculous contract if we don't resign him before free agency.

Chicken Dinner
10-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Don't warm up the stove until the summer is over!!

soxwon
10-18-2005, 08:44 PM
i think dye is a goner, possibly rowand.

konerko and thomas will be back

everett is a goner.

Palehose13
10-18-2005, 08:46 PM
i think dye is a goner, possibly rowand.

Do you think they are going to trade both? They are both signed until the end of next year.

Theanticub
10-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Why wouldn't Garland be back? We have an option on him.

I think that El Duque will be gone. Possibly Rowand if we can find another outfielder or give Anderson his shot. I could see Everett leaving also, replaced by Big Frank. Paulie will be re-signed by us. Other than that, the focus will be on staying healthy and repeating.

Why in the name of God would we get rid of Rowand?

chisoxfan83
10-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Why in the name of God would we get rid of Rowand

my thoughts exactly he had a down year, he plays his heart out every night you gotta love that!

RKMeibalane
10-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Disclaimer: This isn't necessarily what I want to happen. It is what I think will happen.

Returning
Mark Buehrle
Jose Contreras
Neil Cotts
Joe Crede
Jermaine Dye
Freddy Garcia
John Garland
Tadahito Iguchi
Bobby Jenks
Paul Konerko
Scott Podsednik
Cliff Politte
AJ Pierzynski
Aaron Rowand
Frank Thomas
Juan Uribe

Leaving
Geoff Blum
Carl Everett
Willie Harris
Dustin Hermanson
Orlando Hernandez
Damaso Marte
Chris Widger

Rikirk
10-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Ok..

I dont know what section this belongs in, If you need to move it, so be it.

Now...Im not trying to be a defeatist at this moment so close to White Sox glory...but please hear me out because I can almost see a parallel forming from another once proud Chicago team.

Does anyone else beside me feel that once the White Sox win it all, The corporate MLB suits(sharks) will begin to circle our team and pick us apart and destroy us from the inside. I SAY DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN!

Remember the Bears in 1986?

The Bears could have had a dynasty in the making...but noooooo.

They were picked apart and left to wither on the vine, all because of the power of the dollar and the corporate suit.

If this happens to the White Sox...I will be LIVID!!

Already some have their sights set on Konerko, and if he leaves...our current team leader...I shudder to contemplate it.

I dunno...am i crazy for thinking this way..or am i at least making a little bit of sense? Anyone else feel like I do?

Save our team, build a dynasty that will last more than 2 years.:angry:

Jenks4Pres
10-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Enjoy the series for now...............

Save this thread until after October

ja1022
10-18-2005, 09:02 PM
I think it's just you.

Daver
10-18-2005, 09:16 PM
Ask me in two weeks when I am still enjoying the World Series trophy that will be displayed at Comiskey Park.

bayzbol44
10-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Save this thread until January. My hangover may be over around that time.:D:

bayzbol44
10-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey guys, enjoy the moment. Save this until December. This thread sounds like the reporters who go into the locker room and ask Paulie if this is bitter sweet since this may be his last year. Yuck!!!

Deuce
10-18-2005, 09:30 PM
PK is gone. The offers from teams like the Angels, Yankees, and Boston will be through the roof.

Deuce

Flight #24
10-18-2005, 09:40 PM
You can't release guys under contract to save money. That keeps Dye, Rowand, Hermanson, El Duque unless the Sox find someone to take those deals on.

The only guys IMO who'll be gone are Marte, Everett, Timo. Possible trades would be Duque (although one more relief outing like Boston and he'll be tough to get rid of because of his contributions) and Rowand/Dye because they have Anderson.

IIRC, this is Crede's first arb year, so he's still going to be fairly cheap and seems to possibly be coming into his own. He stays. Garland will at worst stay under a 1-yr arb deal, same with AJ. IMO, both will sign if they'll take good offers. Garland on a near-Freddy deal of 8-9-10, AJ on something like 6-7/yr.

The biggest ? is Paulie, but like someone said, unless he's offered ridiculous $$$, I think they keep him. So say anything up to $14M and he stays. I think he'll stick around for that kind of change.

Frank's buyout is a foregone conclusion. However, all signs point towards a reasonable deal to keep him around.

I fully expect payroll to be up $10-20M in 2006, which will be more than enough to do all of the above, especially when factoring in Carl & the loss of Shingo's $2.5M deal. This team might not add a ton, but they'll keep everyone.

And get Manny......

Stroker Ace
10-19-2005, 03:07 AM
I see Blum, Everett, and Marte leaving. Let's just hope that Carlos Beltran's performance this year will help lower other GM's offers on players with great post-seasons, further assuring that Paulie will return.

gehrtsox7
10-20-2005, 12:43 AM
I hate when Sox players go,,,, If I want to see Jose Valentin I have to go buy a Red Baron pizza!

getonbckthr
10-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Ok..

I dont know what section this belongs in, If you need to move it, so be it.

Now...Im not trying to be a defeatist at this moment so close to White Sox glory...but please hear me out because I can almost see a parallel forming from another once proud Chicago team.

Does anyone else beside me feel that once the White Sox win it all, The corporate MLB suits(sharks) will begin to circle our team and pick us apart and destroy us from the inside. I SAY DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN!

Remember the Bears in 1986?

The Bears could have had a dynasty in the making...but noooooo.

They were picked apart and left to wither on the vine, all because of the power of the dollar and the corporate suit.

If this happens to the White Sox...I will be LIVID!!

Already some have their sights set on Konerko, and if he leaves...our current team leader...I shudder to contemplate it.

I dunno...am i crazy for thinking this way..or am i at least making a little bit of sense? Anyone else feel like I do?

Save our team, build a dynasty that will last more than 2 years.:angry:
bears had a few reasons for their demise: 1)salary cap,2)ditka and ryan hated each other, 3)san fransisco, nyg and redskins. as far money goes remember when the bulls won the championship, jerry started throwing money around like it was nothing. he's is the kind of guy where once he holds a title he wants to keep it. i could see the payroll at 95-100 million next year.

Ritchie-Dick15
10-20-2005, 09:28 PM
I would hate to mess with chemistry to much but.... Dye had me reachin for the rolaids all year. Maybe the skanks will let Matsui come to the south side. A real DH would be a nice change too!! Marte better be gone too. I would hate to lose Hermanson, if healthy.:muddy

RedPinStripes
10-20-2005, 09:37 PM
I would hate to mess with chemistry to much but.... Dye had me reachin for the rolaids all year. Maybe the skanks will let Matsui come to the south side. A real DH would be a nice change too!! Marte better be gone too. I would hate to lose Hermanson, if healthy.:muddy

Interesting.

chisoxfan79
10-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Besides the obvious ones like C.C and Marte I think there is a chance Crede won't be back because he is represented by Guess Who? Scott Boras and I think he holds the upper hand in a arbitration case because of Crede's clutch hitting in the playoffs. BTW what is all this crap with getting rid of Rowand? Watching him hit can be frustrating at times, but he did finish around a 270. AVG this always happens to young players after a breakout year.

StillMissOzzie
10-20-2005, 11:27 PM
I don't want to enter this discussion until 11/ 1/05 at the earliest, and preferrably after SoxFest 2006

SMO
:bandance:

gr8mexico
10-21-2005, 05:26 AM
Jerry will take care of Paulie because he helped the Sox reach this point.Carl will be gone because Thomas will be back and Brian Anderson can replace Carl in that spot switching with Dye in the OF once in a while.Everyone should be back unless KW can pull off another great trade.Like he always does and there is no way they trade Rowand with all that money they are saving and that great glove his has and there is no way Ozzie lets him go. WE GOING TO THE SHIP Y'ALL!!!:supernana:

Hangar18
10-21-2005, 08:28 AM
I have a feeling that Konerko and Garland are not going to be back next year.
Who do you think will be leaving the Sox this offseason? Who do you think stays?

Konerko and Garland are due Big Money .........So after we win the world series,
we'll start seeing articles on how Paulie was a clubhouse cancer, Garland was a one-year blip and has bad habits ........:angry:

Hangar18
10-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Jerry will take care of Paulie because he helped the Sox reach this point................

:reinsy

" I'll take care of Paulie all right !!!! "

zach23
10-21-2005, 08:41 AM
:reinsy

" I'll take care of Paulie all right !!!! "

We are on the eve of the Sox playing in the World Series and you still can't stop bitching. It makes me wonder if you are really enjoying this right now. You seem happier to bitch about what may or may not happen next year as opposed to enjoying that the Sox have reached a place we all have dreamed about for years. Sad.
Let it go already. Carlos Lee and Maggs are gone but they are sitting at home while Pods and Jermaine Dye suit up for us in a World Series game tomorrow.

TaylorStSox
10-21-2005, 10:00 AM
There's like 2 people in this thread that understand arbitration.

slavko
10-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Before we get our unmentionables in an uproar about PK, remember that he finished the regular season at .246 with RISP after being below .200 all year. All our short term memories can see is the good September and playoffs. C'mon, 40 homers and only 100 RBI to show for it hitting after Pods and Iguchi??? Wake up. If he's gone, he's gone. He's probably not worth $12M, certainly not $14M. If he gets offered this by someone else, A-dios. Garland had a breakout year and is a must, IMO.