PDA

View Full Version : Rob Neyer article on White Sox

PennStater98r
10-18-2005, 05:42 PM
If you're an insider at ESPN.com, you can read the Rob Neyer article on the Sox. It's pretty cool. I'd post a link if it were legal to do so. Here's part of it

When midnight struck the evening of June 30, the deadline passed and the Illinois House still hadn't approved the bill authorizing $150 million for a "new" Comiskey Park. As John Helyar says in Lords of the Realm, "Cheers rang across Tampa Bay -- but Florida didn't know Illinois politics. The clock on the House floor had been turned off, the deadline ignored. A few minutes after midnight, Thompson" -- Governor Big Jim Thompson, a longtime acquaintance of Einhorn's -- "picked up his sixtieth vote. The stadium was approved, 60-55, and the House Majority Leader declared the time 11:59 P.M."

The Sox got their new ballpark, they got three division titles ... and now they've got a real shot at their first world championship since World War I.

batmanZoSo
10-18-2005, 05:45 PM
:hawk
I love Illinois politics...

Fuller_Schettman
10-18-2005, 05:46 PM
I gotta say Thanks to Big Jim Thompson. Definitely the best Illinois governor of my lifetime...

jackbrohamer
10-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I went to the Sox game later the same day, IIRC they beat Detroit, and after the game at McCuddy's everyone chanted "Detroit Sucks" and then went into "St. Pete Sucks." It was one of my favorite days as a Sox fan. Until the last few weeks.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-18-2005, 07:34 PM
I was at the game the night of the vote (June 30, 1988). The Sox lost 5-3 to New York. By the time I got home (around 11 pm) the reports from Springfield sounded hopeless and I went to bed assuming I had just witnessed my last baseball game played by the Chicago White Sox. What a pleasant surprise when I woke up Friday morning!
:wink:

The bedsheet sign I meant to bring with me to the game (but didn't have time to make):

For Pete's sake, SEND THE CUBS!

:cool:

AZChiSoxFan
10-19-2005, 12:16 PM
I went to the Sox game later the same day, IIRC they beat Detroit, and after the game at McCuddy's everyone chanted "Detroit Sucks" and then went into "St. Pete Sucks." It was one of my favorite days as a Sox fan. Until the last few weeks.

<clears throat> Don't you mean, the NEXT day?!?!? remember, the vote happened at 11:59 PM.

jackbrohamer
10-19-2005, 12:37 PM
<clears throat> Don't you mean, the NEXT day?!?!? remember, the vote happened at 11:59 PM.

Yah, THAT day :cool: And I should've looked it up, the Sox beat the Yankees on July 1, and the chant was "Yankees Suck"