PDA

View Full Version : 4000 tickets per WS game? Where do the rest of them go?

cheeses_h_rice
10-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Let's do the math:

capacity 40,000
less season ticket holders (12,000) (guess)
___

28,000 tickets
less (4000) sold for each game
___

24,000 tickets...for MLB, the teams playing, the 28 other teams and...?

That's a whole lot of corporate sponsors, VIPs and luminaries, isn't it? Over half the park?

Madvora
10-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Let's do the math:

capacity 40,000
___

28,000 tickets
___

That's a whole lot of corporate sponsors, VIPs and luminaries, isn't it? Over half the park?
High rollers and VIPs and everybody else who has no business being there.
Fans like us have been at that park all year, then all of a sudden we're pushed out of the way at the very end, when it really counts just so a John Cusack type can "be seen" at a big event? That's terrible.

Edit - I forgot, front row tickets for the cast of "Bones" "The OC" and "Prison Break."

chaerulez
10-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Wasn't each season ticket holder given the option to buy up to 2 tickets for each game?

Chicken Dinner
10-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Tribune Corp. ticket brokers, where else! :angry:

Pulaski
10-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Fans like us have been at that park all year, then all of a sudden we're pushed out of the way at the very end, when it really counts just so a John Cusack type can "be seen" at a big event? That's terrible.

Once the ALCS beings, MLB owns the ticket process. They give out tickets to teams, sponsors and VIP's.

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
I think most of them went to local Make-A-Wish foundations and other charitable organizations.

Teal?

Pulaski
10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Tribune Corp. ticket brokers, where else! :angry:

How does a ticket broker get tickets? The only way is if they have season tickets, which would gurantee them World Series Tickets and if they were lucky enough to get them thorugh ticketmaster.

cheeses_h_rice
10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Wasn't each season ticket holder given the option to buy up to 2 tickets for each game?

No, not for the World Series tickets; the first 2 rounds, they could.

krohnjw
10-18-2005, 03:00 PM
My only question is where do I sign up to be a ticket broker :D:

Seriously though, I cannot fathom how little tickets the people who support the team all year get for the Playoffs/WS. You would think MLB would give a bit more back to the people that help make it all possible :angry:

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 03:00 PM
How does a ticket broker get tickets? The only way is if they have season tickets, which would gurantee them World Series Tickets and if they were lucky enough to get them thorugh ticketmaster.First, they get them cause they buy them from people who got tickets and sell them to brokers. Second, they buy tickets for a living - so it's a safe bet that these guys know more Ticketmaster access numbers and loopholes/secrets than any of us do.

However, I also saw that segment on the Channel 2 News a few days ago where they were at a ticket broker office who had STACKS of World Series tickets. How they get all those tickets so early is beyond me.

Pulaski
10-18-2005, 03:06 PM
First, they get them cause they buy them from people who got tickets and sell them to brokers. Second, they buy tickets for a living - so it's a safe bet that these guys know more Ticketmaster access numbers and loopholes/secrets than any of us do.

However, I also saw that segment on the Channel 2 News a few days ago where they were at a ticket broker office who had STACKS of World Series tickets. How they get all those tickets so early is beyond me.

Yes, they got them from Season Ticket Holders and also brokers buy multiple season ticket packages each year.

I saw a guy on the news the soldl all 4 of his tickets for each World Series Game to frontrowtickets for $12,000.

Flight #24
10-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Here's betting ticket brokers were jamming up the lines last night, buying up tons of UD seasons and the accompanying WS tix. Cost would be:

4 UD WS tix (1 per game) at face value ($125) = $500
50% of a UD season = $476

Total cost: $976
Cost/WS ticket=$244

Even if you only use games 1 & 2, it comes to $375/WS ticket. Street value will be much higher than that.

Chisox353014
10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
First, they get them cause they buy them from people who got tickets and sell them to brokers. Second, they buy tickets for a living - so it's a safe bet that these guys know more Ticketmaster access numbers and loopholes/secrets than any of us do.

I'd like to know that too. There were ebay postings up 5 minutes after the ALCS tickets were sold out from ticket brokers that didn't even have actual seat numbers. How do these guys get these seats so fast? Anyone ever worked for a ticket broker and feel like sharing some tricks of the trade?
:cool:

Coolpapa

Edit - I forgot, front row tickets for the cast of "Bones" "The OC" and "Prison Break."

Don't forget that "House" guy, sullen and moody eating a hot dog.

cheeses_h_rice
I read a report put together by, I think, the government of NY state, a few years ago detailing the methods by which brokers and scalpers acquire the best tickets to concerts and sporting events.

Basically, it's human greed by insiders with the ticketing agencies like TM, the venues themselves, and corporations connected to the sponsorships of the events. They're able to put aside blocks of tickets for themselves and quickly turn them over to brokers (under the table, of course) for a quick profit. Think about it: you're making $10/hour busting your ass for Ticketmaster, and you can make a quick $25 - $50/ticket or so by buying a block of 20 and selling them? Why not do it?

And I'm sure brokers have their own tricks, like secret phone numbers to use, banks of phones on high-speed redial, buying blocks of season tickets for the sole purpose of resale, etc. Even if they lose money on 50 home games a year, they can probably make that up easily when the Sox play the Cubs, Red Sox, Yankees, etc., and they're guaranteed of postseason tickets, and this year they hit the lottery.

daveeym
10-18-2005, 03:10 PM

Edit - I forgot, front row tickets for the cast of "Bones" "The OC" and "Prison Break." You forgot "House."

zach074
10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Shouldn't the tickets go to real fans not corporate sponsers?:?:

CaptainBallz
10-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Let's do the math:

capacity 40,000
___

28,000 tickets
___

Well Sox Fans, welcome to The World Series.

Uncle_Patrick
10-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Let's do the math:

capacity 40,000
___

28,000 tickets
___

I get a vision of that Simpson's episode where Homer camps out for tickets to the big football game and he's second in line, but the game sells out because the first guy buys 50,000 tickets.

tstrike2000
10-18-2005, 03:24 PM

That would be nice in a perfect world, but unfortunately the almighty buck talks.

HotelWhiteSox
10-18-2005, 03:26 PM
I find it ironic that they sold out in 18 minutes, when I was in exactly at noon and I had "Wait time is 2 minutes" message for a good 40 minutes until I got a TM error. ****ing bastards

Ol' No. 2
10-18-2005, 03:27 PM
I find it ironic that they sold out in 18 minutes, when I was in exactly at noon and I had "Wait time is 2 minutes" message for a good 40 minutes until I got a TM error. ****ing bastardsI had the same message and then it froze. Nada. Ticket broker prices have started to come down. Singles are available for bargain prices (well, it's less than 800 bucks, anyway).

Professor
10-18-2005, 03:29 PM
My only question is where do I sign up to be a ticket broker :D:

Seriously though, I cannot fathom how little tickets the people who support the team all year get for the Playoffs/WS. You would think MLB would give a bit more back to the people that help make it all possible :angry:

Welcome to free-market capitalism!

SABRSox
10-18-2005, 03:32 PM

http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/TV/1/HouseHLaurie_150x225.jpg
"Sox fans, you will never know how good this hot dog tastes..."

krohnjw
10-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Welcome to free-market capitalism!

I understand the motivation and backing ($$$), it is just frustrating :(:

cheeses_h_rice
10-18-2005, 03:41 PM

"It's such a thrill to see the White Sox in the World Series...Johnny Damon, Curt Schilling, David Wells...all my favorite players."

itsnotrequired
10-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Here's betting ticket brokers were jamming up the lines last night, buying up tons of UD seasons and the accompanying WS tix. Cost would be:

Cost/WS ticket=$244

Even if you only use games 1 & 2, it comes to $375/WS ticket. Street value will be much higher than that.

I hope they didn't get too many of the seats. I can't imagine they bought them all up. I'm getting a split season plan in the upper deck next year and would hate to think there will be nothing available come November 1.

SouthSoxFan
10-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Those sponsors earned their tickets by supporting the Sox. All you had to do was support the team with a 27-game ticket plan and you'd have one game at the World Series for face.

mweflen
10-18-2005, 03:50 PM
There should only be two ways to get into Sox playoff games. Being a season ticket holder and thus having the early buy, OR showing up at the park on the day of sale and signing up for an old-fashioned lottery.

This Ticketmaster BS is outrageous. It's all a big scam, and it's at the expense of the real fans.

kevingrt
10-18-2005, 03:59 PM

What an IDEA!!!!

chisox
10-18-2005, 04:00 PM
god, it sucks.

some guy posted on the other ws ticket thread about being able to get tickets because his dad works for ticketmaster. he said tm gives their employees 1200 tickets...

scottjanssens
10-18-2005, 04:10 PM
god, it sucks.

some guy posted on the other ws ticket thread about being able to get tickets because his dad works for ticketmaster. he said tm gives their employees 1200 tickets...

Not quite. MLB give TM 1200 tix to give to their employees.

shoota II
10-18-2005, 04:18 PM
There should only be two ways to get into Sox playoff games. Being a season ticket holder and thus having the early buy, OR showing up at the park on the day of sale and signing up for an old-fashioned lottery.

This Ticketmaster BS is outrageous. It's all a big scam, and it's at the expense of the real fans.

Right, it's not fair that die-hard White Sox fans who live here have just as much chance through internet ticket buying as opportunists around the country who just want to resell the World Series tickets and have no desire to attend the game.

Also, horrible marketing job by the White Sox being the last of the possible World Series teams to sell tickets. Houston and STL's home World Series tickets had already been sold before the Sox's had gone on sale. Thus, if an Astros or Cards fan had lost their lottery, they'd be trying agressively (from their home, of course) to obtain World Series tickets at Comiskey. Most of these NL fans would not have camped outside Comiskey in order to get those tickets, but it's so easy for them try on their home or office computer.

If Brooks was going to do a free-for-all online TM sale, he should have at least been the first of the World Series teams to sell their tickets--afterall, the Sox were the FIRST team to clinch a World Series birth. Nice job guys. :noevil:

Hitmen77
10-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Let's do the math:

capacity 40,000
___

28,000 tickets
___

Were there 4000 tickets available per game? I thought I heard it was more like 2000.

At any right, I agree that 16k tickets for fans and 24k tickets for MLB, VIPs, etc. is way too much for non-fans. Maybe teams who don't make the playoffs should get fewer or no tickets to free up more for us (if that would make a difference).

People can talk free market capitalism all they want, but this is baseball - not the auto industry or some other industry. I find it flawed to treat them as if they are all the same. Who paid for all the fancy new stadiums that were built in the last 15 years? Was it all privately funded by the league or heavily funded by taxpayers?

Paulwny
10-18-2005, 05:18 PM
I read a report put together by, I think, the government of NY state, a few years ago detailing the methods by which brokers and scalpers acquire the best tickets to concerts and sporting events.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/reports/scalping/exec_summary.html

antitwins13
10-18-2005, 08:23 PM
they go to brokers, I don't think that Reinsdorf would just give tickets away to the cast of the OC or other celebs.

Soxfanspcu11
10-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Those sponsors earned their tickets by supporting the Sox. All you had to do was support the team with a 27-game ticket plan and you'd have one game at the World Series for face.

So if I don't have the money and time to do that should I be shut out of post season tickets??? Sorry but I have these things called "bills" and "responsibilities" that limit how much money I can spend. And sometimes this thing called my "job" gets in the way and will not allow for me to go to 27 home games, but if I could I would go to all 81. But I guess I shouldn't have a shot at post season tickets cause I don't "support" the sox because I can't afford season tickets right? Complete BS man. Other posters on here have said it best, allow those to buy season tickets and then post season tickets if they want, but then sell tickets at Comiskey so REAL fans can camp out and get them. Not only do you make your die-hard fan base happy, you keep these loser brokers in California and New York or wherever they are from getting them.

Scotty347
10-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Its silly to read everyone defining who the "real fans" are.

Maybe the real fans are the ones who bought season ticket packages. And they were given the ability to buy postseason tickets.

Put your money behind the team or don't complain when your treated like everyone else.

Soxfanspcu11
10-18-2005, 08:46 PM

Maybe the real fans are the ones who bought season ticket packages. And they were given the ability to buy postseason tickets.

Put your money behind the team or don't complain when your treated like everyone else.

Those who buy season tickets are probably some of the most die-hard fans out there, but like I said in an earlier post, I would go to all 81 games if I had the money, infact I would go to all 162 games and follow this team all over the country if I could but until I win Powerball, that's probably not going to happen. I know that other organizations punish their fans for not being wealthy but during the regular season the sox are far from it (Half-price mon and tues, dollar dogs, etc.) But all of a sudden during the post season, the people like me who were out there in April freezing our butts off get the shaft? Yeah that sounds like good PR. And yes I am sure everyone has their own definition of "Real fans" but I'm pretty sure that "real fans" would make up 99% of people that would be willing to camp out all night.

itsnotrequired
10-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Just saw Brooks on Fox news say that at one point 133 thousand people were in the queue for tickets today. With demand like that, even the most die-hard fans around are going to be left in the cold.

Season ticket holders put their money where their mouth is and should get first dibs at the tickets.

Chisox003
10-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Finally .... working at the Cell will pay off BIG time!

I tried so hard for tickets today, and like most of you, came up empty....

But since I vend there, I'm going home from school this weekend to "work" ... Any way to get into that park over the weekend is worth it, even if it means carrying around a big rod of cotton candy

I hope you guys can all find ways to at least get to 1 game, my family is still trying to find a deal anywhere they can ... Good luck

Soxfanspcu11
10-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Just saw Brooks on Fox news say that at one point 133 thousand people were in the queue for tickets today. With demand like that, even the most die-hard fans around are going to be left in the cold.

Season ticket holders put their money where their mouth is and should get first dibs at the tickets.

Did you see that guy who they interviewed who called the Houston ticketmaster? When they asked him what he was going to do with his tickets he said, "Game 1, new doors and windows" and "for a possible Game 6, a brand new big screen TV." Yes, props to him because he had the fortuity to call the Houston office (I never thought you could do that but oh well) but people like this make me sooooo freakin angry!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

itsnotrequired
10-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Did you see that guy who they interviewed who called the Houston ticketmaster? When they asked him what he was going to do with his tickets he said, "Game 1, new doors and windows" and "for a possible Game 6, a brand new big screen TV." Yes, props to him because he had the fortuity to call the Houston office (I never thought you could do that but oh well) but people like this make me sooooo freakin angry!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Yeah, that guy gets an "F" from me.

Lousy popular team...:D:

Ol' No. 2
10-18-2005, 11:54 PM
Did you see that guy who they interviewed who called the Houston ticketmaster? When they asked him what he was going to do with his tickets he said, "Game 1, new doors and windows" and "for a possible Game 6, a brand new big screen TV." Yes, props to him because he had the fortuity to call the Houston office (I never thought you could do that but oh well) but people like this make me sooooo freakin angry!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:No matter what city you call, it gets routed to the same office. If he called Houston and got tickets, it was pure luck.

rbeze09
10-19-2005, 12:04 AM
i think the way the mlb and the white sox handled ticket sales was total BS...people were willing to fork out the $125-185 for WS tickets but they didnt even get the opportunity..I think the sox figure of 2,000 to 4,000 tickets was total bs, i cant believe this. I dont think they even released that many. I have yet to hear form anyone who actually go through today. it took me 5 minutes to get through when alcs tickets went on sale and i got outfield seat, so i figured id have luck today...but the ticketmaster window froze and then it said error and gave me the boot.. i think they should have released a lot more tickets 4 TRUE DIEHARD SOX FANS like myself and the thousands more that got the shaft..the sox better have great teams for the years to come with all the do,re, mi there making off of this postseason

DSpivack
10-19-2005, 12:16 AM
i think the way the mlb and the white sox handled ticket sales was total BS...people were willing to fork out the $125-185 for WS tickets but they didnt even get the opportunity..I think the sox figure of 2,000 to 4,000 tickets was total bs, i cant believe this. I dont think they even released that many. I have yet to hear form anyone who actually go through today. it took me 5 minutes to get through when alcs tickets went on sale and i got outfield seat, so i figured id have luck today...but the ticketmaster window froze and then it said error and gave me the boot.. i think they should have released a lot more tickets 4 TRUE DIEHARD SOX FANS like myself and the thousands more that got the shaft..the sox better have great teams for the years to come with all the do,re, mi there making off of this postseason

Wait, you mean professional sports, even MLB, is run by the almighty dollar! Say it ain't so! It's not a business!

RealMenWearBlack
10-19-2005, 01:24 AM

I agree that season ticket holders should get first dibs on playoff tickets, but I don't see how not having a season ticket package makes me less of a fan. I went to about 15 games this year, but how many games do you have to go to in order to be a real fan? Also we really aren't being treated like everyone else because these corporate honchos are getting precedence over fans that have attended games and would camp out for tickets. It's ridiculous that these guys are getting 20,000+ tickets per game.

Steelrod
10-19-2005, 05:54 AM
Right, it's not fair that die-hard White Sox fans who live here have just as much chance through internet ticket buying as opportunists around the country who just want to resell the World Series tickets and have no desire to attend the game.

Also, horrible marketing job by the White Sox being the last of the possible World Series teams to sell tickets. Houston and STL's home World Series tickets had already been sold before the Sox's had gone on sale. Thus, if an Astros or Cards fan had lost their lottery, they'd be trying agressively (from their home, of course) to obtain World Series tickets at Comiskey. Most of these NL fans would not have camped outside Comiskey in order to get those tickets, but it's so easy for them try on their home or office computer.

If Brooks was going to do a free-for-all online TM sale, he should have at least been the first of the World Series teams to sell their tickets--afterall, the Sox were the FIRST team to clinch a World Series birth. Nice job guys. :noevil:
Camping out at COMISKEY would at best get you a parking space, since Comiskey is a parking lot, not a stadium! A supporter such as you, I would think would at least know the name of the place where the games are played!

Steelrod
10-19-2005, 06:07 AM
I am actually getting tired of reading about all the crying going on.

No matter how the White Sox, MLB, sponsors, teams, etc. were able to purchase tickets, THERE IS 100% NO DOUBT IN MY MIND that the White Sox did not receive more than face value for the sales. Baseball is a business like any other. Those who financially support thru season tickets, advertising, etc. are nothing more than good customers. Businesses take care of their good customers, and that is what happened.
As a matter of fact, the Sox offer to sell next year's season tickets with a World Series benefit was in my mind an excellent opportunity for someone to be rewarded for becoming a customer in advance. BTW, I think that will also get them post season priority for next year!
I realize not many can afford this expense, but it sounds to me that splitting packages with friends got you world series tickets this year, plus the opportunity for playoffs and World Series next year, all for less than the cost of a pair of Series tickets for one game this year from a scalper! Not to mention having 81 additional regular season games to enjoy! You guys were so busy complaining that you didn't look into one of the best bargains offered.

Realist
10-19-2005, 06:30 AM
I am actually getting tired of reading about all the crying going on.

No matter how the White Sox, MLB, sponsors, teams, etc. were able to purchase tickets, THERE IS 100% NO DOUBT IN MY MIND that the White Sox did not receive more than face value for the sales. Baseball is a business like any other. Those who financially support thru season tickets, advertising, etc. are nothing more than good customers. Businesses take care of their good customers, and that is what happened.
As a matter of fact, the Sox offer to sell next year's season tickets with a World Series benefit was in my mind an excellent opportunity for someone to be rewarded for becoming a customer in advance. BTW, I think that will also get them post season priority for next year!
I realize not many can afford this expense, but it sounds to me that splitting packages with friends got you world series tickets this year, plus the opportunity for playoffs and World Series next year, all for less than the cost of a pair of Series tickets for one game this year from a scalper! Not to mention having 81 additional regular season games to enjoy! You guys were so busy complaining that you didn't look into one of the best bargains offered.

Good post. I've been in on a pair of season tix with 4 other guys for the last 5 years. One of the main reasons we do it is to guarantee us playoff tickets. I've been able to go to every game of the playoffs so far this year and I'm locked in for games 1 and 6 for the World Series.

That deal the Sox just offered connecting this years World Series tickets to purchasing 2006 tickets was a great way for the true fans to get to see at least one World Series game in person. Not only that, I bet it makes next season's games one hell of a hot ticket.

woodenleg
10-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Spare your pride and take your celebration to the bars and streets.

It's a process that's designed to be humiliating, to show the ordinary folks who is 'boss'.

At my family's request, I stood in line in 2000, only to have measly first-round playoff tickets sell out right in front of me - imagine that! I learned my lesson...if you have any pride at all, just don't go through the trouble.

Who wants to sit in the ballpark with a bunch of corporate a-holes anyway? I'd rather be with my family.

wassagstdu
10-19-2005, 07:16 AM
In 1960 the Sox set up a system where world series tickets would be sold first to fans who had the most ticket stubs from the season. I had well over 20, but alas . . .

It does seem like a great idea, but I have no idea how it would have been implemented. Everyone has to get in line at Comiskey in order according to the stubs you have? Maybe it was a "Producers" scheme and the organization was counting on not making it in 1960? Wait, that would explain the trades they made that winter!

bigdommer
10-19-2005, 08:03 AM

I am guessing that means "133K servers in the queue."

All that means is that tons of brokers were using tons of servers to try and get tickets. He could have said 1 million were in the queue, that doesn't change the fact that you, I and everyone else were using one, while the broker warehouses were increasing their chances.

I love the White Sox team, but the organization is loving this. Reinsdorf gets his cut from MLB, Brooks looks like a genius, they stand to get some good press when word gets out how much these tickets are going for (although the media will point out that a Cubs WS would have more hoopla).

bigdommer
10-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Good post. I've been in on a pair of season tix with 4 other guys for the last 5 years. One of the main reasons we do it is to guarantee us playoff tickets. I've been able to go to every game of the playoffs so far this year and I'm locked in for games 1 and 6 for the World Series.

That deal the Sox just offered connecting this years World Series tickets to purchasing 2006 tickets was a great way for the true fans to get to see at least one World Series game in person. Not only that, I bet it makes next season's games one hell of a hot ticket.

I love hearing this term "true fan" being tossed around. I live out of state, travel back to Chicago a half dozen times per year to go to games, travel up and down the east coast to go to games, and I listen to every other game on XM radio. Yet, because I do not live in Chicago and cannot afford to spring for an 81 game plan for 2006, I am not a "true fan" according to those who are season ticket holders.

Get off your high horse, come down from your cross. I agree, the promotion for 2006 was a great idea. However, if one cannot afford to do that, it doesn't mean that he is not a "true fan."

HoosierHerb
10-19-2005, 08:33 AM

It would be cool if Peter Griffin and Homer Simpson were in the Scout Seats, instead of the M&M guy:D:

SoxFan78
10-19-2005, 09:07 AM
It would be cool if Peter Griffin and Homer Simpson were in the Scout Seats, instead of the M&M guy:D:

OT: Going to game 2 of the ALCS I actually saw the M&M Guy drive up to the stadium, in his Masoroti! I think the guy is super rich!

Ol' No. 2
10-19-2005, 09:15 AM
I agree that season ticket holders should get first dibs on playoff tickets, but I don't see how not having a season ticket package makes me less of a fan. I went to about 15 games this year, but how many games do you have to go to in order to be a real fan? Also we really aren't being treated like everyone else because these corporate honchos are getting precedence over fans that have attended games and would camp out for tickets. It's ridiculous that these guys are getting 20,000+ tickets per game.You've put your finger on the real issue. The lack of available tickets has NOTHING to do with brokers and EVERYTHING to do with MLB treating WS tickets as candy to be handed out as perks to all their sponsors and political connections. How may tickets do you think Pepsi, Budweiser, Chevrolet, etc. etc. got? How many went to FOX and ESPN executives? And rest assured that very few of these tickets made it down to the average Joe. The sad truth is that the WS is a gigantic boondoggle for anyone with connections with MLB. I'm frankly surprised that there were ANY tickets left over for the fans. It sucks, but who ever said life is fair?

voodoochile
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM

Cost/WS ticket=$244

Plus they get automatic good games to sell next year when the Sox will be a hot draw or at least hotter than they have been.

Hitmen77
10-19-2005, 09:32 AM
You've put your finger on the real issue. The lack of available tickets has NOTHING to do with brokers and EVERYTHING to do with MLB treating WS tickets as candy to be handed out as perks to all their sponsors and political connections. How may tickets do you think Pepsi, Budweiser, Chevrolet, etc. etc. got? How many went to FOX and ESPN executives? And rest assured that very few of these tickets made it down to the average Joe. The sad truth is that the WS is a gigantic boondoggle for anyone with connections with MLB. I'm frankly surprised that there were ANY tickets left over for the fans. It sucks, but who ever said life is fair?

Agreed. And this isn't an issue between season ticket holders and non-season ticket holders. It's MLB's fault (not the White Sox). MLB takes 24,000 tickets per game? Wow - so that mean that since they were selling tickets for 4 games at the Cell that MLB grabs about 100,000 tickets to give to sponsors, VIPs, etc.

Wow - there are 100,000 people out there that are so well connected that they are given World Series tickets while Sox fans are left out in the cold?

Question: Do all of those 100,000 VIPs use there tickets - or do some of them just turn around and sell them to ticketbrokers for a nice fat profit?

FielderJones
10-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Question: Do all of those 100,000 VIPs use their tickets - or do some of them just turn around and sell them to ticketbrokers for a nice fat profit?

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Flight #24
10-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Plus they get automatic good games to sell next year when the Sox will be a hot draw or at least hotter than they have been.

Trib said they sold 1000 season tickets on Monday alone. Figure another big rush for Tuesday, extra seasons sold prior to this week, and extra seasons that will be sold after they win the title and all the partial seasons that will be purchased and the base could go up significantly for '06. IIRC, it was around 12-15k, which would make a 20k base a realistic stretch target given all that's happened. Kudos to Brooks for smart management of the process.

:gallas
"But Brooks - that won't leave enough tickets for half price night and your walkup's going to go in the tank!"

skottyj242
10-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Did Mike Tice get tickets?

Ol' No. 2
10-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!Not necessarily. These people are mostly pretty wealthy already. I doubt too many are going to be salivating at the thought of making a few thousand dollars re-selling their tickets. Many pass the tickets along to THEIR business contacts. The whole thing is one giant boondoggle. Most teams care about the fans (or at least the ones smart enough to hire guys like Brooks Boyer). But Bud Selig and the MLB brass couldn't care less about you and me.

thechico
10-19-2005, 11:52 AM
"Sox fans, you will never know how good this hot dog tastes..."

If it ain't from Chicago, then it ain't that good.

stl_sox_fan
10-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Haven't read all the posts on this thread, but could it possibly be a conspiracy by the Cubune to buy the remaining? 4000 sold + 12000 season ticket holders....

Cubune Headline
"White Sox only average 16000 in attendance during each home World Series Game. Tragic."