PDA

View Full Version : Don't Stop Believin'

AOEllis
10-18-2005, 02:17 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0510180165oct18,1,2734126.column

I was playing this too myself during the ALCS before I heard about this. Not only do I love the fact that Journey is officially tied in with the White Sox, but that AJ Pierzynski started it. Dan Bernstein was loving this.

IlliniSox
10-18-2005, 02:19 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0510180165oct18,1,2734126.column

I was playing this too myself during the ALCS before I heard about this. Not only do I love the fact that Journey is officially tied in with the White Sox, but that AJ Pierzynski started it. Dan Bernstein was loving this.

Eh. What year is this?

Although it doesn't take much imagination to picture a mulletted 1980's AJP.

Baby Fisk
10-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Eh. What year is this?

Although it doesn't take much imagination to picture a mulletted 1980's AJP.
It's better than that Eminem song.

Pierzynski is awesome.

cheeses_h_rice
10-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Wow, that is one cheesy theme song.

<insert chunks tag here>

lumpyspun
10-18-2005, 02:23 PM
The two luckiest guys in the world that stumbled upon the World Series this year:

1. Steve Perry
2. Geoff Blum

MrRoboto83
10-18-2005, 02:24 PM
That is awesome, perhaps Steve Perry will sing the anthem. Heck Steve Perry isn't even with Journey anymore, who knows what he is up to. Although Perry being from the Bay area, I would think he might be a Giants fan or Oakland :angry:

pdimas
10-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Hey if its working who are we to complain :D:

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 02:26 PM
What a kickass theme song.

I was hoping for something more current, like "Don't Stop (Thinkin' About Tommorrow)," but I heard they couldn't get the rights to use it... :wink:

Jerko
10-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Just because it's old doesn't mean it sucks. Hell, Contreras is 73!! Now I'm no Journey fan but it's better than the **** that passes for music today. I mean, obviously Steve Perry can't hold a candle to Lizzie McGuire when it comes to singing.

MrRoboto83
10-18-2005, 02:30 PM
What a kickass theme song.

I was hoping for something more current, like "Don't Stop (Thinkin' About Tommorrow)," but I heard they couldn't get the rights to use it... :wink:

I believe Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac was a single in 1977 while Don't Stop Believing by Journey was a single in 1981

IlliniSox
10-18-2005, 02:30 PM
It's better than that Eminem song.

Pierzynski is awesome.

I'll agree on both.

itsnotrequired
10-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Isn't that song one of the most purchased songs on iTunes now because of that great MTV show "Laguna Beach"?

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
I believe Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac was a single in 1977 while Don't Stop Believing by Journey was a single in 1981I guess I needed more teal. I just assumed the entire post was dripping with sarcasm...

MrRoboto83
10-18-2005, 02:36 PM
I guess I needed more teal. I just assumed the entire post was dripping with sarcasm...

I thought perhaps you were stating "Don't Stop" was the campaign song for President Clinton.:cool:

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 02:37 PM
I thought perhaps you were stating "Don't Stop" was the campaign song for President Clinton.:cool:Yep. And it was just as lame when he used it. :D:

getonbckthr
10-18-2005, 02:48 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57876&page=2&pp=15

whitesoxwilkes=aj???

Tekijawa
10-18-2005, 02:51 PM
I just assumed the entire post was dripping with sarcasm...

As long as nothing is dripping Loser Juice I'm fine with it.

longshot7
10-18-2005, 02:52 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Journey is modern, 21st Century music.

"Oh, the wheel in the sky keeps on turning...."

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 02:53 PM
As long as nothing is dripping Loser Juice I'm fine with it.Loser Juice? What is that, the beer at Wrigley?

peeonwrigley
10-18-2005, 02:54 PM
B&B are debating the positives and negatives of using this song on the air right now - its pretty funny stuff.

SOXintheBURGH
10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Mayor West: I love Journey! Especially when amateurs sing it!

Tekijawa
10-18-2005, 03:18 PM
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Library/1654/Matt_Tre-big.JPGSTEEEEEEEVE PERRY

SOXintheBURGH
10-18-2005, 03:23 PM
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Library/1654/Matt_Tre-big.JPGSTEEEEEEEVE PERRY

Brilliant.

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 03:26 PM
This site could use some more Baseketball references... :cool:

SOXintheBURGH
10-18-2005, 03:27 PM
This site could use some more Baseketball references... :cool:

"Coop, what's a vajoina?"

whitesoxwilkes
10-18-2005, 03:28 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57876&page=2&pp=15

whitesoxwilkes=aj???

I've been tooting my horn all day about how I started saying back in September that they should use that song.

Kinda like Hangar18 with the pinwheels on the scoreboard and the sleeveless vests...

asindc
10-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Wow, that is one cheesy theme song.

<insert chunks tag here>

Bite your tongue!! I love that song! I think one of the Journey members (Cain, I believe) is a legit Sox fan.

LongLiveFisk
10-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Now I'm no Journey fan but it's better than the **** that passes for music today.

Thank you.

MrRoboto83
10-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Bite your tongue!! I love that song! I think one of the Journey members (Cain, I believe) is a legit Sox fan.

Cain is from Chicago:cool:

LongLiveFisk
10-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Cain is from Chicago:cool:

Yes, he is and I am pretty sure he is a South Side Sox fan! :smile:

The Dude
10-18-2005, 04:14 PM
Mayor West: I love Journey! Especially when amateurs sing it!

Nice! Heres the clip from Family Guy when they karaoke "Dont Stop Believing." Right after Mort sings his song.

It's the 7th clip down from the top. Just click the picture and then the blue box that comes up.
http://www.fgmma.com/Gallery/Date/Song/Desc/Base10

Classic!

http://www.fgmma.com/media/TN_Song/Family_Guy_-_Journey.jpg

SweetnesSox
10-18-2005, 05:51 PM
That is awesome, perhaps Steve Perry will sing the anthem. Heck Steve Perry isn't even with Journey anymore, who knows what he is up to. Although Perry being from the Bay area, I would think he might be a Giants fan or Oakland :angry: He has tickets to the first two games of the WS... he'll probably perform at some juncture.

knifeyspoony
10-18-2005, 06:27 PM
Last night I made an ALCS Champions cd. I just made a new version a couple of minutes ago with "Don't Stop Believin" on it thanks to AJ.

fquaye149
10-18-2005, 09:50 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Journey is modern, 21st Century music.

"Oh, the wheel in the sky keeps on turning...."

here at ND you wouldn't know it wasn't 21st century music. At bars like Linebacker or State (when State was still around) - not to mention Boat Club (RIP) Bon Jovi, Journey, Toto, etc. are the RULE. Weird, huh?

ElevenUp
10-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Personally, I loathe Journey. But if it gets these guys to keep kicking butt, then crank it up to 11!

SOXfnNlansing
10-19-2005, 05:32 AM
White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski doesn't want to stop believing.

That's why he asked White Sox officials to try to invite former Journey front man Steve Perry to the World Series to sing.

Sox spokesman Scott Reifert said Pierzynski wants Perry to perform the Journey song, "Don't Stop Believin'"-- which is fast becoming the team's theme song -- or at least stop by the Sox clubhouse.

The song, it seems, reached its elevated status after a bunch of Sox players went out to a club in Baltimore after a game during a series there July 29 to Aug. 1. There was a band playing covers, and the players -- for reasons yet to be detailed -- started "chanting for Journey," Reifert said. The band obliged and performed the 1981 hit.

The team started to play the song in its clubhouse, and it even put it on in the visitors' locker room after the team won the pennant in Anaheim. Reifert said he has reached .........

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-nws-soxbox19.html <<<link

PaleHoseGeorge
10-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Hey wait a minute! August 1? Isn't that when they started choking?

:tongue:

downstairs
10-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Please stop with that song. PLEASE!

No, it is not becoming the Sox theme song. They have no theme song. And don't need one.

RedHeadPaleHoser
10-19-2005, 07:26 AM

No, it is not becoming the Sox theme song. They have no theme song. And don't need one.

Get AC/DC to play Thunderstruck live to open Game 1. That, would cause the concrete to crumble. Wait......:wink:

oeo
10-19-2005, 07:39 AM

Like you get to make that decision? You're not on the White Sox, let it be. Who cares, it's their thing in the clubhouse. For whatever reason the song obviously means something to them.

Does it really matter?

Revolution29
10-19-2005, 07:58 AM
Get AC/DC to play Thunderstruck live to open Game 1. That, would cause the concrete to crumble. Wait......:wink:

Now this would flat out rock, plain and simple. Certainly better than Journey, though hey, considering that this team has done something that we have all only dreamed of for 46 years, they could be playing Neil Diamond and I really wouldn't care, let them have their fun, who are we to question at this point anyway????:D:

SoxFan76
10-19-2005, 08:20 AM
Journey would be awesome. If you get the whole stadium singing along that would be pretty fun. Steve Perry is the man.

Uncle_Patrick
10-19-2005, 08:23 AM
I thought Steve Perry retired from music. I guess it'd be cool. I didn't realize that had become the unofficial theme song for the team. When people started quoting it, I had just assumed a lot of you people were Journey fans.

SSN721
10-19-2005, 08:32 AM
I gotta give a thumbs up to Journey, would be pretty sweet. Especially if it will pump up the players.

Erik The Red
10-19-2005, 09:23 AM
"Steve.... PERRY!"

"C'mon, I said no more Journey psych-outs!"

Unregistered
10-19-2005, 09:32 AM
Get AC/DC to play Thunderstruck live to open Game 1. That, would cause the concrete to crumble. Wait......:wink:Hell yeah... now THAT would be badass.

And they're from Australia... you know, the WAAAAY South Side. :cool:

Journey? That's just corny.

SOXintheBURGH
10-19-2005, 09:32 AM
"Steve.... PERRY!"

"C'mon, I said no more Journey psych-outs!"

"What are you doing in a hot tub with Victoria Silvstadt, Playmate of the Year?"

"Dude, Victoria Silvstadt, Playmate of the Year."

Erik The Red
10-19-2005, 09:34 AM
"What are you doing in a hot tub with Victoria Silvstadt, Playmate of the Year?"

:rolling:

Somehow I KNEW you'd get the reference. :D:

Unregistered
10-19-2005, 09:34 AM

"Dude, Victoria Silvstadt, Playmate of the Year.""We win, and they get the chicks. That sucks, dude."

"I'm telling you, it's jobs. We gotta get jobs. Then we get the khakis. Then we get the chicks."

SweetnesSox
10-19-2005, 10:09 AM
No offense, but I don't care if you don't like Journey. A.J. likes them. If A.J. Pierzynski wants the Backstreet Boys to perform, you will be behind him, you will sing along, and you will LIKE IT.

fquaye149
10-19-2005, 10:27 AM

lol...you flubbed that quote. It's:

trey: Who's that with you in the tub
matt: dude, who does it look like?
trey: Victoria Silvstedt, Playmate of the Year
matt: Dude - Victoria Silvstedt, Playmate of the Year...

Gosh, I'm such a geek...but that's my 3rd favorite comedy of all time, behind Dirty Work and Freddy Got Fingered.

Highbrow is my middle name.

John Barrett
10-19-2005, 10:48 AM
That song just plain sucks and journey is now playing carnivals ... come on guys we can do allot better than this!!!!

Uncle_Patrick
10-19-2005, 10:56 AM
"We win, and they get the chicks. That sucks, dude."

"I'm telling you, it's jobs. We gotta get jobs. Then we get the khakis. Then we get the chicks."

My favorite line is:

"That's it. If you guys rip on me 12 or 13 more times, I'm out of here!"

Uncle_Patrick
10-19-2005, 10:59 AM
lol...you flubbed that quote. It's:

trey: Who's that with you in the tub
matt: dude, who does it look like?
trey: Victoria Silvstedt, Playmate of the Year
matt: Dude - Victoria Silvstedt, Playmate of the Year...

Gosh, I'm such a geek...but that's my 3rd favorite comedy of all time, behind Dirty Work and Freddy Got Fingered.

Highbrow is my middle name.

Damn, I love "Dirty Work". Chris Farley has all the best lines.

"Baseketball" is probably my favorite comedy ever. And yes, I know its dumb, but I will never stop laughing at the "Dude!" scene or the scene with Trey Parker driving while listening to that cheesy ballad (whose words I've committed to memory).

AOEllis
10-19-2005, 11:26 AM
just watched BASEketball last week, some of my favorite parts--

"Soon it was commonplace for entire teams to change cities in search of greater profits. The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil. The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music. The Raiders moved from Oakland to LA back to Oakland, no-one in LA seemed to notice. "

Dan Patrick (http://imdb.com/name/nm0665830/): Hi there. I'm Dan Patrick.
Kenny Mayne (http://imdb.com/name/nm0562812/): And I'm Kenny Mayne.
Dan Patrick (http://imdb.com/name/nm0665830/): With the first seven months of the BASEketball postseason out of the way, the playoff picture is now starting to emerge.
Kenny Mayne (http://imdb.com/name/nm0562812/): So, with last night's victory over Boston, next week the Beers must beat Indianapolis in order to advance to Charlotte. That's in an effort to reduce their magic number to three.
Dan Patrick (http://imdb.com/name/nm0665830/): Right, and then the Beers can advance to the National Eastern Division North to play Tampa.
Kenny Mayne (http://imdb.com/name/nm0562812/): So, if the Beers beat Detroit and Denver beats Atlanta in the American Southwestern Division East Northern, then Milwaukee goes to the Denslow Cup, unless Baltimore can upset Buffalo and Charlotte ties Toronto, then Oakland would play LA and Pittsburgh in a blind choice round robin. And if no clear winner emerges from all of this, the two-man sack race will be held on consecutive Sundays until a champion can be crowned.
Dan Patrick (http://imdb.com/name/nm0665830/): Right.

Uncle_Patrick
10-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Oh man, I almost forgot one of the movie's most famous lines:

Bob Costas: "You're excited? Feel these nipples!"

fquaye149
10-19-2005, 12:08 PM
My favorite line is:

"That's it. If you guys rip on me 12 or 13 more times, I'm out of here!"

"Sweet! does this couch pull out into a bed?"
"Yeah! A totally sweet bed! But that's Jenkins' bed. Your bed's over here."
"Aw, weak dude. How am I supposed to get a chick in there?"
"Dude don't worry - you couldn't get a chick if you had a twenty dollar bill hanging out of your zipper."
"Yes I could!"
"No you couldn't. You're a little @#$%"
"No I'm not"
"Well you are a piece of ****."
"I am not a piece of ****."
"But you are a little @#$%"

"Baseketball" is probably my favorite comedy ever. And yes, I know its dumb, but I will never stop laughing at the "Dude!" scene or the scene with Trey Parker driving while listening to that cheesy ballad (whose words I've committed to memory).

"Look out ahead there's a truck changing lanes...you've got some yellow crumbs on your upper lip"

The best is how it's some generic inspirational song at the beginning and he starts nodding like "yeah. YEAH! I can totally relate to this!"

CaptainBallz
10-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Personally, I think the sappy "you just gotta believe" mambo-jambo is just lame. But if it means something to the players and it works for them, then who the heck am I?

I'm huge on the AC/DC idea. That would just be so phenomenal and so White Sox.

BTW, Orgazmo is way better than BASEketball.

Garland_IS_God
10-19-2005, 12:26 PM

I went to a Karoke (sp) Bar a few weeks back when the Sox were struggling and I dedicated my performance of "Don't Stop Believing" to the Sox and all us Sox fans. When I was finished I got a standing ovation from everybody even though I sucked big time. I was way to drunk and kept slurring my words. Good times!!

fquaye149
10-19-2005, 12:28 PM
BTW, Orgazmo is not way better than BASEketball.

fixed it :redneck

but I am:offtopic: :redface: :redface: :redface:

Uncle_Patrick
10-19-2005, 01:22 PM
BTW, Orgazmo is way better than BASEketball.

"Now You're A Man" is a fantastic song.

DrummerGeorgefan
10-20-2005, 04:55 PM
From what AJ said on the Dan Patrick show, it was actually Crede that started this whole thing....apparently the boys were at a piano lounge a few weeks back and tired of the music, Crede stood up and yelled 'Play some Journey'

TomBradley72
10-20-2005, 05:13 PM
From what AJ said on the Dan Patrick show, it was actually Crede that started this whole thing....apparently the boys were at a piano lounge a few weeks back and tired of the music, Crede stood up and yelled 'Play some Journey'

That's what IS cool about it...a bunch of goofs after too many drinks yelling out "play Journey" in a bar....the singer does it...and it becomes an inside joke for the whole team. They keep yelling "play Journey" when they're out together or in the clubhouse or on the team plane....sounds like the goofballs I've been friends with my whole life. Which is why I love this team.

mattcoz
10-20-2005, 05:16 PM
From what AJ said on the Dan Patrick show, it was actually Crede that started this whole thing....apparently the boys were at a piano lounge a few weeks back and tired of the music, Crede stood up and yelled 'Play some Journey'He said it a bit more colorfully. :D:

DrummerGeorgefan
10-20-2005, 05:43 PM
He said it a bit more colorfully. :D:

I'll let each person's imagination run wild with thoughts how 'Humble Joe' yelled it out....

SouthSide_HitMen
10-20-2005, 05:56 PM
I'll let each person's imagination run wild with thoughts how 'Humble Joe' yelled it out....

I heard Harold Baines sang Dave Brubeck's Take 5 at the same session.

The post that started it all:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59658&highlight=message+white+sox+fans

The White Sox have not lost since.

Coincidence I think not.

Jjav829
10-20-2005, 05:58 PM
I actually have this damn song stuck in my head now...:?:

Uhh, thanks Joe...:?:

MarySwiss
10-20-2005, 07:14 PM
I actually have this damn song stuck in my head now...:?:

Uhh, thanks Joe...:?:

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've been hearing "Let's Go, Go-Go White Sox" in my dreams for at least a week. That may explain the bags under my eyes! :rolleyes:

SouthSide_HitMen
10-20-2005, 08:04 PM
From the club's website posted this evening:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051020&content_id=1255934&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

In the interim, Pierzynski didn't quite get the last laugh where the media is concerned over this suddenly raging news story.

He had to explain Thursday why the players picked Journey over Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel or any other "more manly" songwriters, according to one Chicago columnist.

"That's manly. Journey is manly," Pierzynski said with a laugh. "Why is Journey not manly? I heard Joe Theismann say on the radio that Journey was his favorite group, and Theismann was pretty manly, wasn't he? "It's a great song, isn't it? It's okay. It's fun. It was meant to be a joke and never meant to get as big as it did. They whole team sort of bought into it."
__________________________________________________ ______________

Billy Joel manly? I like Billy Joel, Springsteen and Journey but I don't think of any of the three as more manly then the other.