PDA

View Full Version : Your two cents: who sits in the NL Park?

Banix12
10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
I was just thinking about this the other day and I didn't see a thread on it. When the white sox go on the road to the NL park who would you sit now that the pitcher has to hit. I can only see two possible people, Everett or Rowand.

Sit Rowand and you lose a little defense becuase you play Everett in Left. Though Rowand has never played that center field in Houston with the hill while Podsednik has, so who knows if that has any effect.

Sit everett and you lose one of your main RBI guys throughout the season and a little bit of power but the sox would then put out their best Defense.

I might consider platooning them for the NL game but frankly I would probably stick with Rowand for the defense.

Your Thoughts?

D. TODD
10-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Carl Everett will sit unless he gets very hot with the stick in games 1 & 2.

Rocky Soprano
10-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Everett does not have a hot bat right now, you sit him.

veeter
10-18-2005, 11:37 AM
We're here because of pitching and defense. The defense stays the same.

hdog1017
10-18-2005, 11:39 AM
You can't put Everett in the outfield in the postseason.

The Dude
10-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Everett is the DH, hence he sits.

WinOrDyeTrying
10-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Paulie. We dont need his meaningless homers.

The Dude
10-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Paulie. We dont need his meaningless homers.

Or to quote the great Shoota-

Crede and his meaningless walkoff/go ahead hits/HRS can sit on the bench.
His double in game 2 shouldnt count cause of the blown call.

CHEESESOXER
10-18-2005, 11:53 AM
We can't sit the umps because then we'd lose a big part of our offense.:D:

doublem23
10-18-2005, 12:01 PM
I would assume it'd be Carl Everett.

VivaOzzie
10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Crazy Carl sits, for sure. He bats from both sides, therefore his bat will come in handy in a pinch-hit situation late in the game.

On a related note, do you think when setting the pitching rotation, does Ozzie take into account which of our pitchers are the better bunters?? I think Freddy obviously pitches on the road. Besides that, I would like Buehrle to pitch game 1 instead of Contreras, just so Mark can pitch away game 5. I just can't picture Contreras dropping down any sort of bunt whatsoever.

Sxy Mofo
10-18-2005, 12:17 PM
carl's going to sit, but will get to play every game. He's a switch hitter, so will likely be the first pinch hitter in every game.

SoxSideIrish
10-18-2005, 12:21 PM
i would love to see politte come to bat, maybe in a late inning pinch hit. anyone remember the game at colorado? politte came up, showed bunt then pulled back and ripped a single through the right side. that was one of the funniest things ive ever seen, the first basemen charged the bunt and then polittle scared the **** out of him when he swung away. the guy fell back on his ass. great stuff.

i agree with you guys though, sit carl. not for lack of output though, but to keep the D intact. not to mention it still leaves you with a relatively clutch switch hitter on the bench. works out for everyone.

Sxy Mofo
10-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Crazy Carl sits, for sure. He bats from both sides, therefore his bat will come in handy in a pinch-hit situation late in the game.

On a related note, do you think when setting the pitching rotation, does Ozzie take into account which of our pitchers are the better bunters?? I think Freddy obviously pitches on the road. Besides that, I would like Buehrle to pitch game 1 instead of Contreras, just so Mark can pitch away game 5. I just can't picture Contreras dropping down any sort of bunt whatsoever.

I never thought about that, but that's a good point.

I went to the three games the sox were out here in colorado, and it was duke, contreras and garcia pitching the three games, but i can't, for the life of me, remember how they looked with the bat in their hands. I think the duke looked comfortable as well as garcia, but i can't remember contreras.

I do believe having buehrle pitch at home, and having one game as a hitter would be the best bet. Obviously having garcia on the road, but i think garland starts game 3 so as to be able to pitch game 7 at home (garcia's much better on the road) would be the best bet.

mark - home
jose - home
jon -away
fred - away
mark -away
jose -home
jon -home

Half Cocked Jack
10-18-2005, 12:30 PM
I just can't picture Contreras dropping down any sort of bunt whatsoever.
Wouldn't he have bunted in Cuban games?

hold2dibber
10-18-2005, 12:43 PM
I never thought about that, but that's a good point.

I went to the three games the sox were out here in colorado, and it was duke, contreras and garcia pitching the three games, but i can't, for the life of me, remember how they looked with the bat in their hands. I think the duke looked comfortable as well as garcia, but i can't remember contreras.

I do believe having buehrle pitch at home, and having one game as a hitter would be the best bet. Obviously having garcia on the road, but i think garland starts game 3 so as to be able to pitch game 7 at home (garcia's much better on the road) would be the best bet.

mark - home
jose - home
jon -away
fred - away
mark -away
jose -home
jon -home

But Buehrle was WAY better at home this season, so I think I'd rather have him game 6 at home. Same as last series:

1. Contreras - home
2. Buehrle - home
3. Garland - away
4. Garcia - away
5. Contreras - away
6. Buehrle - home
7. Garland - home

gosox83
10-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Anyone remember what pitcher showed bunt and then slapped a single in the Colorado series?

I think it was a reliever.
Geoff Blum could pinch hit, he's a switch hitter

Rocky Soprano
10-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Anyone remember what pitcher showed bunt and then slapped a single in the Colorado series?

I think it was a reliever.
Geoff Blum could pinch hit, he's a switch hitter

It was Cliff Politte

JB98
10-18-2005, 02:27 PM
You have to sit Everett. Runs are going to be at a premium, especially if we play Houston. I don't want to lose a game because bad outfield defense cost us a run. Further, CF is very spacious in Houston. A-Row is the only man we have who is capable of covering all that ground.

skottyj242
10-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Not to thread hijack here but why is everyone's rotation have Garland going game seven? I think you have to flip flop them, shouldn't sweaty Freddie pitch seven?

Madvora
10-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Though Rowand has never played that center field in Houston with the hill while Podsednik has, so who knows if that has any effect.
That hill is rarely going to come into play at all. That thing is way out there and it's not like there's anything special you need to know about it. Podsednik has no more ability to play center in Houston than Aaron does.
You sit Everett.

Optipessimism
10-18-2005, 02:51 PM
I'm guessing that Ozzie will sit Everett, but I'm wondering if the Sox will take one less pitcher in favor of another bat? Maybe sit Marte or Vizcaino and bring in Gload?

A_ROW33
10-18-2005, 02:54 PM
I loooove these problems. Carl sits, possibly dye if he goes ice cold. I personally like all of our pitchers chances wherever they are put in the rotation, but I like the idea of Garland and Buehrle on the road. I also don't know if Freddy would be helped pitching on the road since a lot of his success on the road has to do with him being a fly ball pitcher, and should we face Houston that could be a problem in that tea cup of a park.

Optipessimism
10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
That hill is rarely going to come into play at all. That thing is way out there and it's not like there's anything special you need to know about it. Podsednik has no more ability to play center in Houston than Aaron does.
You sit Everett.

I don't know about that. Pods has taken his share of poor routes/late breaks in LF this year but has been able to make up for it with his speed. He may not be able to do that in CF. I know this is probably not going to be very well-received, but I'm wondering if Ozzie gives any thought to putting Anderson on the roster to play CF if necessary? With the pitching that Houston brings I'm thinking this will be a low scoring series (assuming they make it) which will mean we need the best OF defense we can get. In an emergency I'd rather not have Carl, Timo, or Willie out there if a guy like Anderson could play. Granted, he may not be able to hit anything, but he could get to some balls that a guy like Pods couldn't get to.

Madvora
10-18-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't know about that. Pods has taken his share of poor routes/late breaks in LF this year but has been able to make up for it with his speed. He may not be able to do that in CF. I know this is probably not going to be very well-received, but I'm wondering if Ozzie gives any thought to putting Anderson on the roster to play CF if necessary? With the pitching that Houston brings I'm thinking this will be a low scoring series (assuming they make it) which will mean we need the best OF defense we can get. In an emergency I'd rather not have Carl, Timo, or Willie out there if a guy like Anderson could play. Granted, he may not be able to hit anything, but he could get to some balls that a guy like Pods couldn't get to.
I think you misunderstood what I said somehow. Rowand is the best outfielder. There is no way you put Pods out there in CF. Forget about Anderson too. Everett sits.

Optipessimism
10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
I think you misunderstood what I said somehow. Rowand is the best outfielder. There is no way you put Pods out there in CF. Forget about Anderson too. Everett sits.

I didn't misunderstand you, I just didn't make my post clear enough. I totally agree with you about Everett and IMO there is no way Everett plays on the road unless he comes in to hit for a pitcher or is a late inning PH for a starting outfielder. Even then I still wouldn't mind some extra D in the OF if the game goes to extras for example.

If El Duque is injured I'd take McCarthy over him, otherwise El Duque stays. After that I think it could be beneficial to take Gload + Anderson over Blum + Vizcaino/Marte to give us that little extra defense.

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-18-2005, 03:10 PM
i would love to see politte come to bat, maybe in a late inning pinch hit. anyone remember the game at colorado? politte came up, showed bunt then pulled back and ripped a single through the right side. that was one of the funniest things ive ever seen, the first basemen charged the bunt and then polittle scared the **** out of him when he swung away. the guy fell back on his ass. great stuff.

i agree with you guys though, sit carl. not for lack of output though, but to keep the D intact. not to mention it still leaves you with a relatively clutch switch hitter on the bench. works out for everyone.

I loved that play! He had already taken several pitches in the at bat, and the infielders were way in and charging hard. They would have had a good chance to get the lead runner. I was standing there saying "Swing the bat!" and then he did it. And of course, later on Frank came to the plate, which totally made my day.

Sorry, back to the topic ... Carl hasn't been that good lately, and though Rowand hasn't been super either, he's had several doubles. Offensively, I think it's a wash, but Ozzie has said he thinks Rowand deserves a Gold Glove, so he should be manning CF to give our pitchers defense and confidence.

Sxy Mofo
10-18-2005, 03:13 PM
It was Cliff Politte

Yup it was, we went crazy in the stands after he did that. Good memories.

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Wouldn't he have bunted in Cuban games?Yeah, but he was only in his 40's back then... :D:

hold2dibber
10-18-2005, 04:34 PM
I didn't misunderstand you, I just didn't make my post clear enough. I totally agree with you about Everett and IMO there is no way Everett plays on the road unless he comes in to hit for a pitcher or is a late inning PH for a starting outfielder. Even then I still wouldn't mind some extra D in the OF if the game goes to extras for example.

If El Duque is injured I'd take McCarthy over him, otherwise El Duque stays. After that I think it could be beneficial to take Gload + Anderson over Blum + Vizcaino/Marte to give us that little extra defense.

What? Is there word out there that El Duque may be hurt? Please tell me you're just making this up.

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 04:54 PM
What? Is there word out there that El Duque may be hurt? Please tell me you're just making this up.There was a report about Duque's shoulder possibly keeping him from pitching in the ALCS in the Sun-Times on Saturday, but that was before he was throwing in the 'pen on Sunday - and even in the article Coop said he should be fine.

Chisox353014
10-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Although he's gotten some key RBI's in the playoffs, you have to sit Everett. He'd be a good guy to have pinch-hitting and Aaron is way too important on defense.

VivaOzzie
10-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Wouldn't he have bunted in Cuban games?

He probably tried, I'm just saying I can't picture him bunting anywhere near effectively. Nor Garcia. But of course, Garcia MUST pitch away. I think if we draw the Astros, runs will be hard to come by, therefore we can't afford to waste at-bats in the nine-hole with a poor-bunting pitcher. I hope Ozzie is figuring out exactly which of our pitchers can bunt, and will plan accordingly. Of course, this is assuming we have a baserunner at the time, with less than two outs...

Ok, I guess I'm overthinking it. :tongue:

soxwon
10-18-2005, 08:43 PM
everett sits- he hasn't done ditty.

we need aarons glove, even though cf in houston is a circus, i hope he plays well there.

forrestg
10-19-2005, 01:36 AM
I think whoever can play the houston hill the best should be in center If it is st louis it would be Rowand as usual. If carl has hit any of either teams pitchers very well, he's streaky, I would consider on a case by case basis. I believe, in case of a pinch hitter, the best bunter on the team might be politte. I loved what he did in Colorado.

antitwins13
10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Congratulations Sox fans! We made it. Now, Ozzie has to make a tough choice for when we go to St. Louis/Houston for the World Series road games. Does he play Dye in right and bench Crazy Carl or play Crazy Carl in right and bench Dye. There is also the possibility that he could platoon both of them so that Dye faces lefties and CC faces righties. Personally I think CC has been to inconstant at the plate and a weak fielder. He needs to ride the bench for all 3 games. What do you guys think?

balke
10-19-2005, 10:44 AM
There's no controversy whatsoever. Dye starts because he can actually hit and play defense. Carl provides a switch hitting bat off the bench.

eriqjaffe
10-19-2005, 10:45 AM
edit: balke beat me to it.

Ol' No. 2
10-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Duuuuude...

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60240