PDA

View Full Version : Good Article on Torborg & Guillen

FanofBill
10-18-2005, 12:06 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mikeb18oct18,0,6519071.column?coll=sfla-sports-headlines

There, too, Torborg played a role. When midseason rumors swirled around White Sox manager Jerry Manuel, Torborg called White Sox Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf, his former boss, with a recommendation.

"I don't know if you're going to make a change and I'm not suggesting you make a change," Reinsdorf recalled Torborg saying, "but if you do you should consider Ozzie because he's ready to manage."

Reinsdorf had long admired Guillen, but that was the first time anyone had suggested the former loudmouth shortstop as a managerial option. Reminded of that call late Sunday night, Guillen smiled.

"Jeff knew I could do this," he said. "Even though I didn't have any experience, he knew I had a lot of confidence in myself. He knew I knew a little bit about baseball."

They shared an unshakeable belief in pitching, speed and defense. They shared a gift for storytelling. And they shared a philosophy that getting close to your players is no sin.

"Be friends with your players, trust your players and make sure they know you're in their corner," Guillen said. "That's what I got from him."

The celebration swirled. Champagne flowed. Music thumped.

Somehow the manager who never stops moving was frozen in place, filled with gratitude.

"One thing about this," he said finally, "I know I didn't let Jeff down."

TomBradley72
10-18-2005, 12:28 PM
For my money...the two best managers the WSox have had since Al Lopez.

Lip Man 1
10-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Tom:

Just a personal opinion but Eddie Stankey and Chuck Tanner also deserve mention in that list.

Lip