PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Playoffs Defining Moment so far??

gosox83
10-18-2005, 11:50 AM
OK,

What is your opinion on the moment that sent us on our way to our first pennant in 46 years??

Was it The Homerun by A.J. in game 1 against the Red Sox?

Was it Pods Homerun?

Was it Iguchi's throw to Crede and the pick by Joe to nail the runner on second on a ground ball up the middle?

Was it the the grounder by Uribe sneaking under Graffanino's mitt?

Was it Tadahito's Homerun on a 1-1 curveball from fatboy to give us the lead?

Was it Bobby Jenks coming in for 2 innings and nailing down game 2?

Was it El Duque in game 3 with the bases loaded?

Was it Konerko's Homerun over the Green Monster?

Was it the Drop third strike?

Was it Joe Crede's double for a walk off win in the bottom of the 9th?

Was it Konerko's Homerun in game one after Dye had already doubled in a run in the first inning?

Was it Konerko's Homerun in game 2 to give us another 3 run lead in the 1st?

Was it Jon Garland's brilliance on the mound?

Was it Freddy's Brilliance on the mound?

Was it Joe Crede's infield single to score Rowand as the go ahead run in Game 5?

Was it A.J.'s shot off the butt of Escobar to keep the inning alive for Joe?

Your opinions please.

My favorite by far was Crede's walk-off double because I was there and we were heading out west tied 1-1, and the park was utter chaos.

A close second was definitely Iguchi's blast, even thought I wasn't there it was so pivotal!!

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Ol' No. 2
10-18-2005, 12:01 PM
How can it not be AJ running down to 1B while the Angels were walking off the field? It typified the entire series: the Sox making the play they needed and the Angels completely missing the boat.

itsnotrequired
10-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Defining moment for me has to be the infamous "dropped third strike" incident in game 2 of the ALCS. Up to that point, both the Angels and Sox were neck and neck for the whole series. I figured all the games would be like that. The Sox squeaked out the win and the Angels never looked the same.

Baby Fisk
10-18-2005, 12:07 PM
How can it not be AJ running down to 1B while the Angels were walking off the field? It typified the entire series: the Sox making the play they needed and the Angels completely missing the boat.
I agree with Mr. Fox. After 88 years of bull**** and failure, Pierzynski refused to accept defeat. "Strike me out? **** you! I'm taking first base you mother****er!" He ran for victory, right into the history books of my mind (disastrous metaphor, but you get the point).

:AJ:
"Carpe Diem is neither a fish nor a unit of currency. ****ers."

jeremydavid
10-18-2005, 12:22 PM
I think beating the Red Cubs 14-2 was pretty good idea that this was NOT gonna be 2000.

fuzzy_patters
10-18-2005, 12:23 PM
John Kruk had a great point on ESPN 1000 yesterday. He said that the turning point in the series was game 3. Even after Crede's double in game two, the Angels could take some solace in having stolen home field advantage from the Sox. They only needed to win one road game, and they already had it. Furthermore, they were coming home for three straight with John Lackey pitching game three. Lackey was the best they had and has always been clutch for them. Then, our Sox jumped on Lackey early and sent him to the showers. Kruk said that the rest of their pitchers were probably thinking that they wanted no part of our hitters after we just beat down their best guy. He thought that was the turning point.

He also pointed out that Pierzynski reminds him a lot of Lenny Dykstra when Krun played for the Phillies. Eveybody hated Dykstra except for the Phillies' players and fans because he was a pest. Pierzynski is the same way. He just drives people nuts. A.J. is awesome.

Rocky Soprano
10-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Dropped Third Strike, Hands Down!

:supernana:

rmusacch
10-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Has to be the 3rd strike. The Angels didn't win another game after that. I know Konerko had a great series but AJ could have been MVP just as much as him. I actually think Crede had a good claim to it too.

kevingrt
10-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm going Iguchi's shot over fat boy. That was a huge shot that allowed us to go up 2-0 over the Red Sawx. Without that HR maybe we won't win and it's 1-1 going to Boston.

hose
10-18-2005, 12:40 PM
ALDS
El Duque slamming the door on the Red Sox.

ALCS
.- AJ's drop third strike dash to first base/ Joe Crede's walk off hit.
.- AJ's non called catchers interference/ Iguchi to Uribe to Konerko double play.
.- A's hustle to beat out a infield hit/ Crede's gw hit.

DaleJRFan
10-18-2005, 01:02 PM
14-2 thrashing of the "World Champs" right out of the gate
Tony Buckner and Iguchi's shot
El Duque getting out of the bases-loaded, no outs jam
Booby Jenks OWNING the purported "best #3 & #4 combo" in all of baseball
Dropped 3rd strike and our #8 hitter driving him home
PK's two HUGE first inning home runs
FLAWLESS DEFENSE the ENTIRE playoffs (so far)

And the biggest story, 4 straight complete games

STARTING PITCHING.
STARTING PITCHING..
STARTING PITCHING...

Last time I checked, a hand of four aces beats just about anything in poker.

The picture says it all.
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/ANS167101701_1024x768.jpg

Interlake
10-18-2005, 01:39 PM
For me it was Paulie's Green Monster home run.

The back to backs by Ramirez and Ortiz started to give that sinking feeling I remember so well from '83, '93' and '00.

But then Paulie came back with a big "SO WHAT" to Big Papi and Manny by crushing that ball.

That's when I really started to think things might be different this time.

Paulwny
10-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I'll go with El Duque's " In your face" statement against the red sox. It made the rest of the tean feel that "We can win, no fear!"

34 Inch Stick
10-18-2005, 01:57 PM
El Duque. When you think about it, getting out of that inning without a run was an act of God.

gosox83
10-18-2005, 02:45 PM
14-2 thrashing of the "World Champs" right out of the gate
Tony Buckner and Iguchi's shot
El Duque getting out of the bases-loaded, no outs jam
Booby Jenks OWNING the purported "best #3 & #4 combo" in all of baseball
Dropped 3rd strike and our #8 hitter driving him home
PK's two HUGE first inning home runs
FLAWLESS DEFENSE the ENTIRE playoffs (so far)

And the biggest story, 4 straight complete games

STARTING PITCHING.
STARTING PITCHING..
STARTING PITCHING...

Last time I checked, a hand of four aces beats just about anything in poker.

The picture says it all.
http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/ANS167101701_1024x768.jpg

Four Aces doesn't beat a straight flush, and that is what will happen to St. Louis/Houston,,,,we will straight flush them down the toilet!!!!!!!!!

Baby Fisk
10-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Four Aces doesn't beat a straight flush, and that is what will happen to St. Louis/Houston,,,,we will straight flush them down the toilet!!!!!!!!!
:hawk
"I luv turlet jokes."

DaleJRFan
10-18-2005, 02:57 PM

If things go as planned, we won't need a game 5... 1, 2, 3, 4 and onto the celebration!

Optipessimism
10-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Forget all the controversy, the defining moment was the 14-2 butt whipping on the BoSox in the first game of the playoffs because it showed the world that the Sox were not going to lay down. They were going to bring the lumber and bring the pitching, and basically said to the world "beat us if you can."

RockyMtnSoxFan
10-18-2005, 03:59 PM
ALDS: El Duque

ALCS: Pierzynski heads-up play, showed the scrappy nature of the team; followed by Joltin' Joe's game winner. To me, this symolizes the attitude of the '05 Sox: doing everything possible to win, never giving up, and taking advantage of other teams' mistakes.

fox2
10-18-2005, 04:19 PM
I have to go with El Duque. I have to admit I really thought the Sox would lose that game, and when he threw what, 5 or 6, straight pitches to Graf with a ball 3 count and then got him to pop up, I literally went to my knees. And when Damon struck out I finally really began to believe that this could be the year.

A close second is Jon Garland's performance. Everyone in the world was wondering how he would be able to pitch after a 13 day rest. I think after his start, the Angels knew they were done.

asindc
10-18-2005, 05:03 PM
El Duque. The defining "never give in" moment.

knifeyspoony
10-18-2005, 05:22 PM
I think the most important part of this post season thus far was the starting pitching. Completely amazing. As great as so many of the other moments were, I NEVER would have imagined pitching performances as wonderfully stellar in the ALDS and ALCS. Wow. Just wow.

As far as most defining moment, it was, HANDS DOWN, Paul Konerko stepping on first base for the the final out of the ALCS. That made it real. A dream come true. A White Sox Winner. The White Sox are going to the World Series. Breathtaking.

BNLSox
10-18-2005, 05:50 PM
The Duque....It was UNREAL.

mweflen
10-18-2005, 05:51 PM
2005 defining moment:

"We're Sorry. We had a Problem Processing Your Request."

4th Gen. Sox Fan
10-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Iguchi's homer off of Wells, capping off the comeback, taking advantage of the other teams mistake, setting the tone showing other teams that if they make a mistake the Sox will take advantage and run with it

ja1022
10-18-2005, 07:09 PM
The defining moment has to be the AJ K Play. Defining moment 2a and 2b is Ozzie pinch running Ozuna and Ozuna stealing second. Defining moment 3 is Joe Crede taking advantage of the situation . Up until then, what little momentum there was belonged to the Angels, and it just seemed like one of those games that would slip away.

The defining performance for me was Contreras' in the previous game. Although it was in a losing effort, he set the tone for the rest of the guys, and they all stepped up. I told my son to remember what was happening. He's only 13, but the performance by those four guys in that series is timeless. I don't believe I'll see anything like it again. I can't wait to see what happens next.

slobes
10-18-2005, 07:15 PM
My first pick was the entire 9th inning of game 2 of ALCS, of course starting with the dropped 3rd strike. A very close second was Iguchi's homer, the Cell was absolutely electric.

TomBradley72
10-18-2005, 07:47 PM
When we hired Ozzie Guillen.

Dick Allen
10-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Iguchi's HR in ALDS game 2, after we had been down 4 runs. Happened right after Tony G's error, which made me realize that maybe this really is our year after all.

ArkanSox
10-18-2005, 08:19 PM
...were the most intense moments of the playoffs for me.
The most defining moment may have been Dye to Iguchi to Crede nailing Erstad at third base. I suddenly had a premonition that the Angels were history.

GO SOX!!!

Chips
10-18-2005, 08:50 PM
El Duque telling Boston to go **** themselves with his remarkable sixth inning.

SoxFan64
10-18-2005, 09:01 PM
El Duque hands down. Sure the other plays are all worthy. But that inning had no impact from an ump, in a hostile crowd with the game on the line and the last good chance for the BoSox to turn the series around.

So it has to be El Duque -- only man to earn his entire yearly salary in one inning.

Dillinger25
10-18-2005, 10:00 PM
The defining moment is STILL COME in the WHITE SOX WORLD SERIES!UNBELIEVEABLE! Living, breathing, WHITE SOX for 100 years in this family. A LONG TIME COMING.....MONEY

Put that on the BOOOOOOARD! YES!:drunken:

12-3 in attendance. At least two to go!

http://ebcc.football.sportsline.com/images/team-logo/steelfish73-thhorsewtf1kh_26652-72x72.gif

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/5004238

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1469/295/1600/James%20Dean%20window%20sm.jpg

jmcts
10-18-2005, 10:16 PM
El Duque hands down. Sure the other plays are all worthy. But that inning had no impact from an ump, in a hostile crowd with the game on the line and the last good chance for the BoSox to turn the series around.

So it has to be El Duque -- only man to earn his entire yearly salary in one inning.

As a displaced White Sox fan living in Connecticut, listening on the radio to El Duque shut down those Bloody Sox at Fenway was one the most amazing things I've ever heard. Without his lights out pitching that inning, I doubt we could have recovered. That was a pivotal and incredible moment.

antitwins13
10-19-2005, 01:13 AM
ALDS
El Duque slamming the door on the Red Sox.

If I had to pick one.

ChiSoxGirl
10-19-2005, 09:19 AM

Your signature is AWESOME! :bandance:

gosox83
10-19-2005, 09:43 AM

:elduque:

Response to your signature, which I love by the way!

soxfanatlanta
10-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Hard to choose from but it's gotta be El Duque. Completely shut down the hitters, and the fans in a flash. You wanna hit? Here try this one, oh - sorry, you missed it.

I've been to some games at Fenway, and that has got the be the most hostile place to play baseball. You would not believe the venom BoSox fans can spew at any given moment. Good thing english is his second language, eh?
:smile:

dirty_k
10-19-2005, 10:05 AM
That's the play that has had the most importance in getting the Sox to this point. The Sox took advantage of an error and Iguchi blasted an off-speed pitch over the plate! Showed that the first game slaughter was not a fluke.

IronFisk
10-19-2005, 10:15 AM
I'd have to point to a play in the ALDS - since that's what kicked our momentum in gear.

Being said...

3) Iguchi's game 2 HR
2) DUQUE!

1) Tony "Iron Hands" Graffinino....

Why? Would have gotten them out of the inning still ahead 4-2...and if the Red Cubs would have won that game (???) Also, it was at that time when I felt THIS could be the year.
So far so good :bandance:.