PDA

View Full Version : Dallas area WS gatherings

rmusacch
10-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I will be at Game 1 and may not be able to make Game 2 but does anyone in the Dallas area want to get together for the other World Series games. I think it would be fun. Reply to this or PM me.

Frater Perdurabo
10-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I will be at Game 1 and may not be able to make Game 2 but does anyone in the Dallas area want to get together for the other World Series games. I think it would be fun. Reply to this or PM me.

I'm up for a get-together in the Dallas area for any World Series game. I live in SE Plano (Jupiter & PGBT area) and work in NE Dallas (LBJ & Central area). My wife and I watched Game 3 of the ALDS on the big screen TV at Nedley's, in Richardson on Plano Road between Arapaho and Campbell.

I have a standing appointment to watch Game 1 with a friend who is an Astros fan (if Houston makes it).

I'll be in Kansas City at a convention for Games 5 and 6 (Thursday and Saturday), but of course those games won't need to be played... :redneck

Frater Perdurabo
10-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Any other DFW area fans? I know you are lurking, Bedford! :cool:

SoxFanSince67
10-18-2005, 11:00 PM
I'm available for the 2nd game on Sunday night. Prefer it to be in ther North Dallas area if possible. I'm in Carrollton.

BedfordChisox
10-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Guilty as charged, Frater! You guys name the game and place and I'll be there. It sounds like most everybody else is from the north Dallas area, but with the completion of the Bush Tollway, heading out that way is no problem for me.

Frater Perdurabo
10-19-2005, 01:32 PM
I can recommend Nedley's (http://www.nedleys.com/), which is on the west side of Plano Road between Campbell and Arapaho, just a few miles south of the Bush Turnpike in Richardson. My wife and I watched Game 3 of the ALDS from there since we don't have ESPN. They have good bar food (pizza, fried mushrooms, onion rings, etc.) and "real" food (sandwiches, ribs, etc.) and a big screen TV in the dining room that I'm sure will be showing the World Series, as well as the sports bar with lots of TVs. They are also doing $10.95 special on all-you-can-eat shrimp for World Series games.

rmusacch suggested Ben's Half Yard House (http://www.benshalfyard.com/index.html) on Greenville between Park Lane and Walnut Hill. This also would be close to the DART Red Line stop at Walnut Hill. He said it used to be owned by a Chicago native but that ownership has changed hands. They also show Bears games on their TVs. I've never been there, though, so I can't vouch for the food or atmosphere.

Saracen
10-19-2005, 02:02 PM
I'm right near downtown, Ben's Halfyard House is a Chicago bar where we watch all the Bears games, on far Upper Greenville. Huge bar, with several big-screen tv's, lots of beer on tap. Food's so-so, nothing to write home about.

I can't vouch for either Nedley's or Ben's at night. I've only been to both of them for football during the daytime, not sure how the crowds are at night.

rmusacch
10-19-2005, 02:16 PM
I'm right near downtown, Ben's Halfyard House is a Chicago bar where we watch all the Bears games, on far Upper Greenville. Huge bar, with several big-screen tv's, lots of beer on tap. Food's so-so, nothing to write home about.

I can't vouch for either Nedley's or Ben's at night. I've only been to both of them for football during the daytime, not sure how the crowds are at night.

It sounds like Ben's it is. Like I said, I will be at Game 1 so will not be there but would be cool if we could get some Sox fans there. PM if interested with identifiers.

Frater Perdurabo
10-20-2005, 09:17 AM
It sounds like Ben's it is. Like I said, I will be at Game 1 so will not be there but would be cool if we could get some Sox fans there. PM if interested with identifiers.

I've won a convert or two and may bring them to a watching party at Ben's for Game 2 on Sunday night.

BedfordChisox
10-22-2005, 09:50 PM
If the Frater is going to be there, then I'll be proud to be there. See you at Ben's!

Frater Perdurabo
10-22-2005, 11:42 PM
If the Frater is going to be there, then I'll be proud to be there. See you at Ben's!

I'm waiting for an e-mail reply from some friends on whether or not they want to join the fun for Game 2. If so, then Mrs. Frater may make a cameo as well.

:supernana:

Frater Perdurabo
10-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Mrs. Frater and I left our Plano bungalow to trek to Ben's last night for a Game 2 watching party that didn't seem to materialize. I was in my home replica pinstripe jersey and the wife was in a black shirt. We got there about 6:30 and the place was almost deserted. We had some food over by the pool tables and waited for more Sox fans to show up, but the only Chicago guy in the vicinity seemed to be recovering from his "euphoria" over the Bears' win. He left after the National Anthem. We left at 8 p.m. with our eyes, noses and lungs burning from the second-hand smoke of a handful of noisy Astros fans and a select few who remained to watch ESPN Sunday night football on the other big screen TV by the bar.

We got back home in time to call to my dad and watch Berkman's 2-RBI double, Paulie's slam, Jenks' cerebral flatulence and Pods' game winner! It was much sweeter being surrounded by Sox fans, even if four of them are member of the animal kingdom (two cats, two birds)!

Hangar18
10-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Mrs. Frater and I left our Plano bungalow to trek to Ben's last night for a Game 2 watching party that didn't seem to materialize. I was in my home replica pinstripe jersey and the wife was in a black shirt. We got there about 6:30 and the place was almost deserted. We had some food over by the pool tables and waited for more Sox fans to show up, but the only Chicago guy in the vicinity seemed to be recovering from his "euphoria" over the Bears' win. He left after the National Anthem. We left at 8 p.m. with our eyes, noses and lungs burning from the second-hand smoke of a handful of noisy Astros fans and a select few who remained to watch ESPN Sunday night football on the other big screen TV by the bar.

We got back home in time to call to my dad and watch Berkman's 2-RBI double, Paulie's slam, Jenks' cerebral flatulence and Pods' game winner! It was much sweeter being surrounded by Sox fans, even if four of them are member of the animal kingdom (two cats, two birds)!

Say Frater ............ my Buddy is upset that he has to be in Dallas this week for work, he said might be too far to drive to Houston to catch Game3,
I told him DONT WORRY, I know SOX fans in Dallas/FtWorth Area.
WHere are you guys gonna be? I know at least one guy that is dying to watch the game with other SOX fans ...........he arrived this morning in Dallas,
I promised him id hook him up with people down there ............

rmusacch
10-25-2005, 12:32 AM

Frater, sorry about that. I didn't end up being able to start watching the game until about 9:30. I had Tivoed it and started watching it. Not sure what the plan is tomorrow night.

Frater Perdurabo
10-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Say Frater ............ my Buddy is upset that he has to be in Dallas this week for work, he said might be too far to drive to Houston to catch Game3, I told him DONT WORRY, I know SOX fans in Dallas/FtWorth Area. WHere are you guys gonna be? I know at least one guy that is dying to watch the game with other SOX fans ...........he arrived this morning in Dallas, I promised him id hook him up with people down there ............

Frater, sorry about that. I didn't end up being able to start watching the game until about 9:30. I had Tivoed it and started watching it. Not sure what the plan is tomorrow night.

No sweat, gents. Did you enjoy Game 1 in person?

Hangar, tell your buddy that even in clear traffic, Houston is at least a four hour drive from Dallas. Unfortunately, traffic rarely is clear. Ben's Half Yard House (http://www.benshalfyard.com/index.html) is in North Dallas, on the East side of Greenville Avenue between Park Lane and Walnut Hill. The exact address is 7102 Greenville. This area is called "Upper Greenville," meaning it's North of the big bar scenes further south in "Lower" and "Lowest Greenville." For landmarks, Ben's is just south of Presbyterian Hospital. Greenville Avenue basically parallels U.S. 75 - Central Expressway north of downtown Dallas.

http://mq-mapgend.websys.aol.com/?e=9&GetMapDirect=Gme5diw%2ca%3a9u12%3b%40%24x1%2dyada7 2%26%3d10%21zzlu67%3ah%2dyg5ryg%26z%40squz0g%402x5 y8%3a9uy2%3bu%24nu67%7c%26a7aq%40%24%3a%26%40bl%21 rtsl67%3a%29fz%260ya2u6%24%3a%26ur2u%2da%7c%26yt29 %40%24

The DART (http://www.dart.org) (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) Red Line light rail trains stop at Park Lane and at Walnut Hill. If your buddy is staying in downtown Dallas (or anywhere near the light rail, for that matter), he could take the train and walk a few blocks to Ben's.

I'm teaching until 7 p.m. tonight, but since my wife has class until 10, I may make a cameo at Ben's if I know other Sox fans will be there.

Frater Perdurabo
10-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey Dallas Sox fans!

I showed up at Ben's again last night and stayed until about 8:15 p.m. No sign of Sox fans anywhere. :(:

That's OK, though. I listened to the big 5th inning in the car on my way home (had to run a few errands and pick up some food, which made the trip home longer) and saw the rest of the game at home.

No Ben's for me tonight. I'm going home after class (ends at 8:30) and watching the rest of Game 4 at home, with the sound turned down and the XM on to hear Rooney and Farmer!