PDA

View Full Version : Cub fan Carol says there is no buzz!!!

Bump34
10-18-2005, 08:47 AM
Talk about a buzz kill... as I continue to try and keep up with what is going on in Chicago with the White Sox on line and on Superstation WGN... I came across an article by Carol Slezak that just ticked me off... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sorry I can't link it up... I'm amazed I could start this thread... but she seems to think there is no city wide buzz about the White Sox... Just because the people of her northside neighborhood aren't celebrating doesn't mean there isn't a buzz... I know Oak Lawn, Orland Park and Bridgeport were exactly doing somersaults a couple years ago either... until... with one out in the top of the 8th...

Anyway... there is a BUZZ Carol... stop by the Southside on Saturday... go by places like Grandstand and U.S. Cellular anytime this week... but then again don't do us any favors... stay on the Northside and keep dreaming of those great Cubs/Brewers games of the summer...

Go Sox!!!

Chisox003
10-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Talk about a buzz kill... as I continue to try and keep up with what is going on in Chicago with the White Sox on line and on Superstation WGN... I came across an article by Carol Slezak that just ticked me off... :angry: :angry: :angry:

Sorry I can't link it up... I'm amazed I could start this thread... but she seems to think there is no city wide buzz about the White Sox... Just because the people of her northside neighborhood aren't celebrating doesn't mean there isn't a buzz... I know Oak Lawn, Orland Park and Bridgeport were exactly doing somersaults a couple years ago either... until... with one out in the top of the 8th...

Anyway... there is a BUZZ Carol... stop by the Southside on Saturday... go by places like Grandstand and U.S. Cellular anytime this week... but then again don't do us any favors... stay on the Northside and keep dreaming of those great Cubs/Brewers games of the summer...

Go Sox!!!
Don't forget Beverly, Mt. Greenwood, and Evergreen Park ... They'd beg to differ with you Ms. Slezak

Dumb

elrod
10-18-2005, 08:51 AM
That's funny, if there is no buzz, then why are tickets so hard to come by?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/redeye/chi-051018soxtickets,1,237181.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Deuce
10-18-2005, 08:56 AM
You can't blame the media for what appears to be a collective yawn about this Sox team. TV, radio, newspapers, the Internet -- we're trying. Oh, how we're trying. After the Sox beat the Angels Sunday night, a TV station sent a reporter and a camera to Rush Street on the Near North Side. But the streets looked nearly empty. The North Side just doesn't seem to care too much about the Sox. There is more action in my North Side neighborhood when the Cubs beat the Brewers during the regular season.

So, you looked out your window, and because Cubs fans were not clamoring in the North Side on a Sunday night, no one cares? Great investigative reporting there, Ms. Sleeze-hack. :mad:

Deuce

Fungo
10-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Don't forget Beverly, Mt. Greenwood, and Evergreen Park ... They'd beg to differ with you Ms. Slezak

DumbAs would NW Indiana. The bars around here are hopping.

Madvora
10-18-2005, 08:59 AM
"There are no Americans in Baghdad!"

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/342/iq3tw.png

Frank the Tank
10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
I agree with her.

Jerko
10-18-2005, 09:02 AM
She's still mad because her ass got wet at the one Sox game she went to and didn't realize you're allowed to wipe off your seat.

itsnotrequired
Let's not forget the TV draw:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0510180143oct18,1,1018386.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

At 10:30 p.m. Sunday, WFLD-Ch. 32 reached a 43.3 rating when the Sox clinched (one ratings point is worth more than 34,000 homes). That's the highest peak rating for any televised event for Chicago this year, including the Super Bowl and the Academy Awards.

I thought people on the South Side didn't have TVs?:redneck

1951Campbell
If it's a Sox-Stros series, get ready for the dominant theme in coverage to be something along the lines of "the rest of America simply doesn't care about the World Series this year."

firejauron
10-18-2005, 09:04 AM
I could care less what the media says. We're in the World Series baby! The last thing I'm worried about is some delusional writer who is a Cub fan.

Ortegels
10-18-2005, 09:04 AM
Does she have an e-mail listed. Now I'm not saying be rude and nasty... but maybe we could all e-mail her from our repective neighborhoods letting her now how mistaken she is. Ha Ha could you imagine coming into work the next day with thousands of e-mails letting you now that "hey Carol... Dekalb, Il is buzzing!"

Uncle_Patrick
10-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Who cares what Carol Slezak says? She's the one who wrote that nauseating piece of fluff about a month and a half back on how, just maybe, if you believe, then Cubs could possibly...maybe...hopefully...make the playoffs. Please, her allegiances are quite clear.

Besides, it doesn't matter if the city doesn't have "the buzz". It won't make the World Series any less sweet for us.

ajtokarz
10-18-2005, 09:12 AM
I've already sent a letter to the Inbox for this sunday. I hope you all do the same.

HOW did she get a job at a newspaper? Or even better, how is she not on the Cubune payroll?

dickallen15
10-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Who cares what Carol Slezak says? She's the one who wrote that nauseating piece of fluff about a month and a half back on how, just maybe, if you believe, then Cubs could possibly...maybe...hopefully...make the playoffs. Please, her allegiances are quite clear.

Besides, it doesn't matter if the city doesn't have "the buzz". It won't make the World Series any less sweet for us.

Exactly, and she lives right by Wrigley Field. I doubt she has been south of the Chicago River since Sunday so she would know nothing.

naprvllesoxfan
10-18-2005, 09:33 AM
There is definately a buzz in Naperville. I waiting in a long line for hats and shirts at sports authority! So much for cub fans not caring about what the sox do. This is killing the cub fans I know!

Iwritecode
10-18-2005, 09:36 AM
The North Side just doesn't seem to care too much about the Sox.

Gee that's amazing. When I looked out my window after Boston won last year there didn't seem to be much of a buzz either.

:kukoo:

chisoxfanatic
10-18-2005, 09:36 AM
I can't believe Sleeze Bag actually still has a job. All of her columns are "fluff" pieces adding absolutely NOTHING to those of us who actually know about sports. She should write columns for Martha Stewart's website and nothing more.

daveeym
10-18-2005, 09:37 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-0510180143oct18,1,1018386.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

I thought people on the South Side didn't have TVs?:redneck Wow that's awesome. I wonder how that compared to Bulls telecasts during their runs. And thats after the new neilsen ratings have been put into place and have LOWERED general ratings across the board.

Hokiesox
10-18-2005, 09:38 AM
Let her write stuff, then the bandwagoners will see the media bias for themselves.

itsnotrequired
10-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Wow that's awesome. I wonder how that compared to Bulls telecasts during their runs. And thats after the new neilsen ratings have been put into place and have LOWERED general ratings across the board.

Awesome indeed. If you crunch the numbers, its something like 1.5 million households tuned into the game. That's pretty wild.

Cuck the Fubs
10-18-2005, 09:45 AM
No buzz eh?

These Flub Lovers are truly amazing............:angry:
Got news for ya, here's the final word on the Flubs Buzz right about now.....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/huggerorange73/HPIM0147.jpg

Jerko
10-18-2005, 09:47 AM
I can't believe Sleeze Bag actually still has a job. All of her columns are "fluff" pieces adding absolutely NOTHING to those of us who actually know about sports. She should write columns for Martha Stewart's website and nothing more.

I love it. Sleeze Bag. I'm mad at myself for not coming up with that one.

zach61
10-18-2005, 09:48 AM
Don't even respond. If she gets emails, it will show them that people read what she writes. Let it go and ignore her. Enjoy the WS and don't worry about what a cub writer does. The less response to her, the better it is for us.

beckett21
10-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Tribune Co. just keeps outdoing themselves. Don't they realize how foolish and immature they are making themselves look?

I wouldn't even bother responding to her either. *YAWN*

It must really suck to be a Cub fan these days. :D:

spawn
10-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Tribune Co. just keeps outdoing themselves. Don't they realize how foolish and immature they are making themselves look?

I wouldn't even bother responding to her either. *YAWN*

It must really suck to be a Cub fan these days. :D:
Actually, Slezak writes for the Sun-Times...

beckett21
10-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Actually, Slezak writes for the Sun-Times...

:redface:

Can't you tell how much I read both of them? :D:

Dick Allen
10-18-2005, 10:05 AM
What would you expect from someone who lives in Wrigleyville? She should stick to writing about how the WNBA will go over big in Chicago.

SOXPHILE
10-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Carol is the Sun-Times version of Eric Zorn and Mary Schmitt. Her idea of a crisis, or a problem worthy of devoting a whole column to is if they run out of the Hazel Nut-Caramel Frappe Whipped Frapacino at Starbuck's, or a re-run of Friends, Will & Grace, or the latest version of Survivor gets pre-empted due to some breaking news. This is the same person who wrote a column over the summer about the "stress" of attending both a Cubs and a Sox game in the same day. Horrors !! Here is what we learned:

A.) It made her hair messy
B.) She thought that grown men who wear baseball jerseys are weird
C.) The rain during the day made the seats at U.S. Cellular wet (Oh No !)
D.) When she got home, her dog had pooped on the floor

SOXintheBURGH
10-18-2005, 10:14 AM
:moron

"Carol is a gifted writer. Shame on you, Sox fans."

pinotgrigio
10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
This Sox fan had to wait in line at the local sporting goods store for an ALCS Championship shirt. Apparently the line had started to form a good hour before th store even opened. Probably just another example of " no buzz" to Ms. Slezak huh?

alohafri
10-18-2005, 10:18 AM
My co-worker who lives in Wrigleyville was complaining that all the bars near her were going Sox-crazy since the playoffs began and she is pissed! She says all of them were showing the Sox games on the TVs! LOL!
Maybe Sleezak should crawl out of her hole and walk around the neighborhood.

--Mrs. Aloha

nebraskasox
10-18-2005, 10:40 AM
We are fed this crap outside of Illinois too. The Omaha World Herald on Monday had as their sports section headline: "World Series in Windy City".

Jim Salisbury of the Tribune wrote the article which included these lines:

"Long the ugly baseball stepchild in their own city, the Chicago White Sox won the American League pennant ..." and "The Cubs, who have long owned the city's heart, last went to the World Series in 1945."

Not so subtle huh? Can't write a Sox article without something negative or praising the lovable losers? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Chicagoans would know how Salisbury generally handles Sox reporting, but I found his comments objectionable.

johnnyg83
10-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Carol,

I wanted to compliment you on a groundbreaking column. It baffles my mind that there hasn't been a celebration for the Sox at Wrigley Field. What are these Cubs fans thinking? Why can't the Northside just forget 100 years of bitter rivalry and embrace the AL champs? It's like they don't even like the Sox or something. Can't we just come together and enjoy this? Man, when you nail it, you nail it. It's like these Cubs fans are jealous or bad losers or maybe just losers. You are a credit to journalism. It's insight like this that keeps newspapers such a fresh and vital medium. Your worth every dime the S-T pays you. I also love that you give the caveat at the end "except for the Sox fans." Exactly. It's BS that out of towners who may root for the Red Sox or Brewers aren't joining in the celebration. Surely, if you and I moved to Houston or St. Louis we'd be jumping on the wagon to cheer for them despite the fact that we've cheered for another team all our lives.

Warmest possible regards

Johnny G

BTW, I've alerted the Smithsonian to this column for possible archiving. I've also alerted the Nielsen Co. to let them know them that their ratings system is severly flawed and is registering "false highs" in the Chicago market for these games.

Sxy Mofo
10-18-2005, 10:45 AM
That article, in which the basic point was "there's no buzz on the north side" is similar to saying: "There's no buzz in minneapolis"

Well no ****.

itsnotrequired
10-18-2005, 10:48 AM
BTW, I've alerted the Smithsonian to this column for possible archiving.

:roflmao:

Clarkdog
10-18-2005, 11:04 AM
This is really the limit for me and the local media.

The major media in this city and at a national level has systemically pushed the White Sox to the back burner - not just this year, but for a decade at least - and then one of them has the gall to write an article about the a lack of fan support and buzz just as the franchise is on the precipice of its greatest acheivement in the modern age of baseball. And then says, "Don't blame us, we're covering it".

Unbelievable.

This is the same media that call the Sox "Chokers" thought they still held, and never relinquished a lead they held wire to wire, and yet dubbed the Cubs "Wild Card Contenders" after dropping 2 of 3 to the Dodgers of the pathetic NL West and still being 6 games out and needing to leapfrog 4 or 5 teams.

Slezak's piece was hardly objective. She lives in the shadow of Wrigley Field. How much celebrating could be happening there? She didn't hear one firework. Well no $%&*. However, if she ventured outside her door she would have found a large number of Sox fans had taken over the hallowed ground of the Cubby Bear and watched and celebrated the Sox taking of the AL pennant.

Carol - this is a BIG city. A lot of life takes place south of Madison. Do some actual reporting and you would have found:

- Hundreds of Sox fans that waited through the wee hours of the night to welcome the team home at Midway after the redeye from LA.
- People pouring out of the bars on Western Avenue to celebrate the clicher
- The sheer pandamonium of playoff baseball at US Cellular Field. Tim McCarver said it was the loudest, most raucous environment he has every been in - and that includes last year at Fenway.

No buzz. Give me a break. Just wait until the Series actually begins.

PatK
10-18-2005, 11:23 AM
As would NW Indiana. The bars around here are hopping.

Hell, NEIGHBORHOODS are rocking.

The won Sunday night and my girlfriend and I walked outside and we could hear cheering and chanting. People were lighting off fireworks. Cars were driving along Indianapolis Boulevard honking their horns.

34 Inch Stick
10-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Sauganash is about as far north you can get in the city. It is the polar opposite of the media enhanced stereotype of a Sox fan.

At the moment the Sox won, I heard fireworks going off in several locations.

Chisox353014
10-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Hmmm, that's funny. I seem to recall watching Games 2, 3, and 4 at different bars on the north, yes north, side of town and being surrounded by a large and vocal contingent of Sox fans each time. It's pretty clear that Slezak never even set foot outside her apartment (in the shadow of Wrigley Field) to do her "research". Her evidence that there is no buzz consists of a) not hearing any fireworks being shot off in the heart of CubDumb, and b) seeing one report on TV of a less than packed bar on the north side. Wow. Way to dig deep there Carol. Your Pulitzer Prize is in the mail, I'm sure.

PatK
10-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Aren't the places on Rush and Division mostly closed on Sundays?

Besides, those bars are notoriously full of suburbanites, who normally don't drive into the city on a Sunday night.

ilsox7
10-18-2005, 04:10 PM
Aren't the places on Rush and Division mostly closed on Sundays?

Besides, those bars are notoriously full of suburbanites, who normally don't drive into the city on a Sunday night.

I was on Division all night and into the morning. Sure there weren't people packing the streets, but the bars taht were open were plenty filled. And we had one hell of a time celebrating.

PatK
10-18-2005, 04:16 PM
I was on Division all night and into the morning. Sure there weren't people packing the streets, but the bars taht were open were plenty filled. And we had one hell of a time celebrating.

Then I stand corrected.

MISoxfan
10-18-2005, 04:59 PM

It's interesting how that article points out how the Cub's had a higher rating for game 6 and 7 than the Sox did for game 5. The Cub's were up 3-1 and could have clinched with game 5, why didn't they show the ratings for that one?

jhill36
10-18-2005, 05:26 PM

Go Sox!!!

I saw this article too because I desperately soak up every article about my Sox online since I cant be there. All I can say is she reminds of that 70s New York Times movie critic Pauline Kael who, so shocked that Nixon won re-election in '72, said, "But no one I know voted for him!"

Daver
10-18-2005, 05:53 PM
I can't speak for the Chicagoland area, but we had 1,772,495 hits here at WSI yesterday.

RedPinStripes
10-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I can't speak for the Chicagoland area, but we had 1,772,495 hits here at WSI yesterday.

That's just a few more then Carol's colum got. :redneck

chisoxfan64
10-18-2005, 06:09 PM
That's just a few more then Carol's colum got. :redneck

1,772,494 more.:smile:

itsnotrequired
10-18-2005, 07:29 PM

Woah! How does that compare to the average through the season?

SOXSINCE'70
10-18-2005, 08:15 PM
To paraphrase a 1960's Neil Sedaka song,
"Oh,Carol,you are such a fool".:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RichFitztightly
10-18-2005, 11:19 PM

Well, that's probably because all the South Siders must have stolen those TV's.

In another note regarding the lack of buzz, somebody towed one of those official souvenier carts they have at Comiskey and parked it in a parking lot here in Worth at 111th and Ridgeland. The two times I drove past today I saw about 8 people waiting outside.

MUsoxfan
10-18-2005, 11:33 PM

872,548 of those were mine:tongue:

eastchicagosoxfan
10-19-2005, 05:07 AM
So I guess Carol would have been pleased to see the streets filled with people surrounding the mounted police, a couple of overturned cars, some broken windows, etc., nothing shows " buzz " quite like vandalism. We're Sox fans; this is personal.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-19-2005, 07:11 AM
I went to the Sports Authority in Crystal Lake on Monday. This area is a heavy cub area. SA had about 8-10 spinner racks of SOX clothing as soon as you walked in the door. There was a bunch of people going through the racks the entire time I was in the store.
I asked the manager where all the winter Sox jackets were and he said they were already sold out.
No buzz? This going on way up here? I don't buy it!

Hitmen77
10-19-2005, 09:01 AM
It's interesting how that article points out how the Cub's had a higher rating for game 6 and 7 than the Sox did for game 5. The Cub's were up 3-1 and could have clinched with game 5, why didn't they show the ratings for that one?

The article did say this....

"Keep in mind, however, the Sox's overall ALCS average would have been higher if the series went to seven games"

Eric Bartman, today's top dope
10-20-2005, 01:46 AM
If it's a Sox-Stros series, get ready for the dominant theme in coverage to be something along the lines of "the rest of America simply doesn't care about the World Series this year."

I've already been hearing that nonsense.

TDog
10-20-2005, 02:08 AM

Houston is the fourth largest city in the country. Chicago ranks third in population. We shouldn't expect this pairing to attract the ratings of a classic World Series like, say, Baltimore (17) against Pittsburgh (51).

PeteWard
10-20-2005, 04:50 AM
What would you expect from someone who lives in Wrigleyville? She should stick to writing about how the WNBA will go over big in Chicago.

Maybe it will. if they grow beards for the playoffs.

Hangar18
10-20-2005, 09:31 AM

Go Sox!!!

This is the same Media Bimbette who, BEFORE spring training in 04, jumped into her media time-machine and Speculated on World Series Rotations for the Cubs and Yankees. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This is the same Media Bimbette who in 1998 was so pee-pants-giddy of Kerry Woods strikeouts, she wrote a series of articles wanting all of Chicago to give him a "nickname", something worthy of a guy who was going to win Cy Young after Cy Young.

I pay her no attention, shes typical of the fans 8miles north. Carol is the worst kind of writer there is ........ Propoganda. She should get in touch with me, i'll show her some home video I took (because I KNEW the Media wouldnt cover as in-depth as I could) that nite that will prove her theory Way Wrong. Very Kiley-esque.

Hangar18
10-20-2005, 09:32 AM
I've already been hearing that nonsense.

YUP. RedEye has been lamenting how this wont be as big as the Cubs/RedSox games this past summer. :angry:

spiffie
10-20-2005, 09:52 AM

Shhh...don't tell my boss how many times I log on here daily!

Tekijawa
10-20-2005, 09:55 AM

How many of those were WhiteSoxJosh trying to get back in?

Jerko
10-20-2005, 09:56 AM
How many of those were WhiteSoxJosh trying to get back in?

500 grand!