PDA

View Full Version : Stop talking about the Cubs

elrod
10-18-2005, 12:35 AM
I loathe the Cubs as much as anybody else here. But this is the last time in the world to start talking about the Cubs or how their fans are feeling, or how we've got one over them. The Cubs and their fans are IRRELEVANT. This Pennant is about US, the White Sox, White Sox fans, and Chicago baseball fans that want to support the White Sox now that the city has a real winner to support. If Cub fans want to get bitter about the Sox, that's their problem. Shrug it off. And don't start hoping for a Sox-Cards World Series just because the Cub fans would hate it. Cub fans are irrelevant. There is no team called the Chicago Cubs playing baseball right now. Their fans can jump on the Sox bandwagon (as most are) or they can refuse. WE DON'T CARE. Let's focus on the great accomplishment of the White Sox and on supporting them as they try to win the World Series. And if you can't get over rubbing it in on Cub fans, think of it this way: nothing will bother a Cub fan more than being ignored. This is OUR year. We earned the limelight we are finally getting. Let's not deflect it back on some miserable franchise that has the misfortune of sharing the same city as us.

chisoxmike
10-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Exactly.. who really gives a flying **** about them. This is our time. Dont even waste your breath bashing them, they're not worth it. They have NOTHING TO DO WITH US PEOPLE. ROOT ROOT ROOT FOR THE WHITE SOX. I can't stand the bars with the "cubs suck" chanting. These arn't sox/cubs games. THESE WERE ALCS GAMES AND STARTING SATURDAY THE ****ing WORLD SERIES!

MrRoboto83
10-18-2005, 12:39 AM
I loathe the Cubs as much as anybody else here. But this is the last time in the world to start talking about the Cubs or how their fans are feeling, or how we've got one over them. The Cubs and their fans are IRRELEVANT. This Pennant is about US, the White Sox, White Sox fans, and Chicago baseball fans that want to support the White Sox now that the city has a real winner to support. If Cub fans want to get bitter about the Sox, that's their problem. Shrug it off. And don't start hoping for a Sox-Cards World Series just because the Cub fans would hate it. Cub fans are irrelevant. There is no team called the Chicago Cubs playing baseball right now. Their fans can jump on the Sox bandwagon (as most are) or they can refuse. WE DON'T CARE. Let's focus on the great accomplishment of the White Sox and on supporting them as they try to win the World Series. And if you can't get over rubbing it in on Cub fans, think of it this way: nothing will bother a Cub fan more than being ignored. This is OUR year. We earned the limelight we are finally getting. Let's not deflect it back on some miserable franchise that has the misfortune of sharing the same city as us.

Yes, you are correct, but you are still talking about them, even by mentioning not to talk about them.:rolleyes:

Chips
10-18-2005, 12:42 AM
Exactly.. who really gives a flying **** about them. This is our time. Dont even waste your breath bashing them, they're not worth it. They have NOTHING TO DO WITH US PEOPLE. ROOT ROOT ROOT FOR THE WHITE SOX. I can't stand the bars with the "cubs suck" chanting. These arn't sox/cubs games. THESE WERE ALCS GAMES AND STARTING SATURDAY THE ****ing WORLD SERIES!

Exactly, some other idiots were chanting Scosia sucks last night at Puffers, the guy doesn't suck, and the cubs aren't playing. We should be chanting "Let's go White Sox," "Joe CREDE," "Paul-ee," etc. This is about US. GO SOX.

DumpJerry
10-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Who are the Cubs? From this point forward, whenever a Flub fan gives me a hard time, all I have to say is "We made it (or won) the World Series." They can talk all their trash about attendance (is that the best argument they have???), bottom line, we did what only one other team in MLB did this year: get to the World Series.The Cubs are to the Sox what the Wolves are to the Blackhawks, minor league entertainment.

WikdChiSoxFan
10-18-2005, 12:44 AM
yeah no crap!!!!

and what with all this comparison of the guy who interfered with chone's double in the corner and the bartman incident...this was all over the news articles...give me a break...

we rock...we're the sox...

we have no fear....relying solely on historical precedent is for crybabies, idiots, lawyers, and poor reporters

we dominated, and that's all they should have reported...

antitwins13
10-18-2005, 12:59 AM
Who are the Cubs? From this point forward, whenever a Flub fan gives me a hard time, all I have to say is "We made it (or won) the World Series." They can talk all their trash about attendance (is that the best argument they have???), bottom line, we did what only one other team in MLB did this year: get to the World Series.The Cubs are to the Sox what the Wolves are to the Blackhawks, minor league entertainment.

Who has the highest October attendance????

Iwritecode
10-18-2005, 01:10 AM
Who has the highest October attendance????

Damn, you beat me to it. :cool:

batmanZoSo
10-18-2005, 01:25 AM
yeah no crap!!!!

and what with all this comparison of the guy who interfered with chone's double in the corner and the bartman incident...this was all over the news articles...give me a break...

we rock...we're the sox...

we have no fear....relying solely on historical precedent is for crybabies, idiots, lawyers, and poor reporters

we dominated, and that's all they should have reported...

Yeah, great comparison. Not only did the runner score, but Figgins even scored.

Banix12
10-18-2005, 01:43 AM
I couldn't agree more. I happened to be passing by a radio that had WGN on this afternoon during John Williams. He was actually trying to put on some positive sox programming and had someone on who claimed to be the head of some sox fan organization. Well it turned out to just be some drunk at a bar who pulled a fast one on his producer Matt Bubala and got on air at WGN just to say things like, "You know what Cubs stands for... Completely useless by september" and "Cubs suck". And he never actually said anything about the white sox.

While I certainly am not a fan of the cubs, it's guys like that loser that sterotype the rest of us. The white sox are doing well, show a little dignity.

pudge
10-18-2005, 01:44 AM
I don't know any Sox fans who are giving much thought to the Cubs... BUT... part of the joy of getting to the WS, and getting there first, is how Flub fans would react... and I have to say, some of the utter disgust on their faces is purely priceless. I'm not rubbing it in by any means, but the reaction does bring an evil smile to my face.

PeteWard
10-18-2005, 02:06 AM

I hadn't thought about them for days until your post. Nice going.

MrRoboto83
10-18-2005, 02:15 AM
I will be mad if I see any Cub Suck shirts at the World Series.

chitownhawkfan
10-18-2005, 04:09 AM
I don't know any Sox fans who are giving much thought to the Cubs... BUT... part of the joy of getting to the WS, and getting there first, is how Flub fans would react... and I have to say, some of the utter disgust on their faces is purely priceless. I'm not rubbing it in by any means, but the reaction does bring an evil smile to my face.

Agreed, and I will go ahead and rub it in their faces if they say anything to me that irks me in the slightest. But I agree I hate the Cubs Suck shirts, if someone wears one to the WS you know they are bandwagon jumpers. The Cubs suck shirts are only valid in two cases.

1. The six times a year the Sox play those muppits
2. Cheering against them in the playoffs or another big game similiar to 2003 playoffs

JUribe1989
10-18-2005, 06:50 AM
There's another team in Chicago?

Viva Medias B's
10-18-2005, 07:24 AM
I agree that our fans should not be wearing the anti-Cubs shirts, even though I show a partisan dislike of the institution of the Chicago National League Ballclub as much as anyone here. The content of the newer anti-Cubs shirts is increasingly lewd, and they make me think that the people wearing them are more preoccupied with hating the Cubs than supporting us. Instead of wearing anti-Cubs shirts, can't these people instead wear apparel that has the words "WHITE SOX" on them?

Dick Allen
10-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I loathe the Cubs as much as anybody else here. But this is the last time in the world to start talking about the Cubs or how their fans are feeling, or how we've got one over them. The Cubs and their fans are IRRELEVANT. This Pennant is about US, the White Sox, White Sox fans, and Chicago baseball fans that want to support the White Sox now that the city has a real winner to support. If Cub fans want to get bitter about the Sox, that's their problem. Shrug it off. And don't start hoping for a Sox-Cards World Series just because the Cub fans would hate it. Cub fans are irrelevant. There is no team called the Chicago Cubs playing baseball right now. Their fans can jump on the Sox bandwagon (as most are) or they can refuse. WE DON'T CARE. Let's focus on the great accomplishment of the White Sox and on supporting them as they try to win the World Series. And if you can't get over rubbing it in on Cub fans, think of it this way: nothing will bother a Cub fan more than being ignored. This is OUR year. We earned the limelight we are finally getting. Let's not deflect it back on some miserable franchise that has the misfortune of sharing the same city as us.I agree wholeheartedly. Too bad some of our favorite columnists in this town can't follow suit.

cheeses_h_rice
10-18-2005, 10:14 AM
I still saw a lot of idiots at the ALDS and ALCS games wearing anti-Cubs stuff.

There's a certain number of virulently anti-Cubs idiots who will NEVER appreciate what the Sox are doing right now in any sort of light that doesn't involve the Cubs.

Forget 'em and move on.

SOXintheBURGH
10-18-2005, 10:19 AM
If you wear a Cubs Suck shirt under a Sox jersey unbuttoned, I see nothing wrong with that.

Hell, I wore a shirt that says "**** PITT" with a Penn State hat to a lot of PSU football games.

Baby Fisk
10-18-2005, 10:22 AM

:rolling: POTW! :cheers:

TomBradley72
10-18-2005, 11:11 AM
I burned my "Cork" shirt and my "Cry" shirts. Time to move on. My AL Pennant and World Series Champions shirts will deliver the message to the north siders.

LongLiveFisk
10-18-2005, 11:26 AM
I agree 100%. Leave them alone. Show some sportsmanship. You didn't want it rubbed in your face in '03 when they were in the playoffs and we weren't. I'm even guilty of posting some things I probably shouldn't have. But now that we've made it to the WS, let's act like we've been there before (even though it's the first time we've made the WS in my lifetime). Constantly talking about them, their fans, etc really does make us appear as though we are obsessed with them. Learn to be the bigger person...you'll feel a lot better.

And yes, I dislike the Cubs. But if some of their fans want to get behind us, I think that's great. I don't look at them as bandwagoners because when next year starts us they will go back to cheering for their team.

And yes, I say "we" sometimes and I know I'm not on the team, but I do feel part of it! Anyway, it's all about the WHITE SOX!!! Let's get it done, guys!! :D:

PatK
10-18-2005, 12:10 PM
I burned my "Cork" shirt and my "Cry" shirts. Time to move on. My AL Pennant and World Series Champions shirts will deliver the message to the north siders.

EXACTLY!

rocky biddle
10-18-2005, 01:12 PM
I will be mad if I see any Cub Suck shirts at the World Series.

Exactly the way I feel. We need to collectively get over it. The only thing these people have left is our contempt. Let's not give them the satisfaction. As long as there are people calling into radio talk shows spewing anti-cub sentiment, as long as there are cubs suck t-shirts at the world series, as long as people make hilarious signs with things like 'What's Happening at Wrigley Today?' -these cub fans will have something to talk about. This doesn't concern them. This is ours and they have no part in it. Please Sox fans, ignore them and they'll have nothing left to say. We need to stop acting like second class citizens. Our team is playing for the World Championship. Let's just focus on that.

Chisox353014
10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Unless you're dealing with a Flub fan that is continuing to hassle you (and what they could possibly be saying at this point I have no idea), there's no reason to even think about those losers anymore. The Sox have basically shattered whatever rivalry we had with that team. We're not united in common misery with them anymore. We got there first and in another 12 days or so we may have finshed things off first too. We have a huge upper hand right now. No reason to rub it in.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I agree with most that has been said but sometimes there is an exception. My wife comes from a family of ten. With spouses, it makes 20. And just about every single one of them are cub fans. I have listened to years and years of abuse at holidays when I wouldn't even bring anything up to them. They would start up as soon as I walked in the door.

When we had a big family gathering at my house about 5 years ago, they all started up as soon as they got here. My family, all Sox fans, showed class and kept it easy going. Two brother in laws actually took my Sox flag from in front of the house and started going through the motions that they were going to burn it with a lighter. Now that was uncalled for at someone elses house. One stuck up brother in law is actually cold to my two daughters because we are Sox fans. They go up to him and try and say hello and he will turn his back.

Even at a family picnic, one of my wife's Uncles that I like who I usually get along with very well, kept mumbling under his breath about the Sox one time during the crosstown classic. This guy is about 70 and he did nothing but bad mouth the Sox and their fans while I was standing right there.

There is countless examples I could go through but I think you all get the picture. They want to play, I will play.

I'm not sure what I will do when I see them. I am just not sure.
I think they are all upset because I converted my wife to the Dark Side!

Optipessimism
10-18-2005, 03:19 PM
All the Sox have to do is win four of their next seven games. If they can do that, the Sox win and the Cubs lose from here on out. After that, there should never be another debate about which organization is better, which players are better, etc. I say talk about how much the Cubs suck all you want until that point because afterwards there will be nothing about the Cubs worth talking about.

Bucky F. Dent
10-18-2005, 03:27 PM
what the Wolves are to the Blackhawks, minor league entertainment.

This may have not been the best example.

LongLiveFisk
10-18-2005, 04:24 PM
I agree with most that has been said but sometimes there is an exception. My wife comes from a family of ten. With spouses, it makes 20. And just about every single one of them are cub fans. I have listened to years and years of abuse at holidays when I wouldn't even bring anything up to them. They would start up as soon as I walked in the door.

When we had a big family gathering at my house about 5 years ago, they all started up as soon as they got here. My family, all Sox fans, showed class and kept it easy going. Two brother in laws actually took my Sox flag from in front of the house and started going through the motions that they were going to burn it with a lighter. Now that was uncalled for at someone elses house. One stuck up brother in law is actually cold to my two daughters because we are Sox fans. They go up to him and try and say hello and he will turn his back.

Even at a family picnic, one of my wife's Uncles that I like who I usually get along with very well, kept mumbling under his breath about the Sox one time during the crosstown classic. This guy is about 70 and he did nothing but bad mouth the Sox and their fans while I was standing right there.

There is countless examples I could go through but I think you all get the picture. They want to play, I will play.

I think they are all upset because I converted my wife to the Dark Side!

My advice to you: Don't attend anymore family gatherings with these people. :cool:

maurice
10-18-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm never the first person to bring up the cubs in a conversation and would never utter an anti-cub slogan at a game that didn't involve the cubs. Unfortunately, most cub fans are obsessed with randomly attacking the Sox for no reason or injecting the cubs into completely unrelated conversations. Many of them show up at the Cell in full cub gear for non-crosstown-classic games. They also like to make up contrived arguments against the Sox, Sox fans, and the neighborhood and then, in the very next breath, claim that cubs fans don't care about the Sox. To these people, I show no mercy.

maurice
10-18-2005, 04:51 PM
I understand as well as anybody that you need to give a lot of leeway to your in-laws but anybody who disrespects my kids in my house would get physically thrown out the door.

Dick Allen
10-18-2005, 05:08 PM

I think they are all upset because I converted my wife to the Dark Side!This was at your house? As soon as they showed up, I would have said "Just kidding" and slammed the door on them.

LongLiveFisk
10-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Many of them show up at the Cell in full cub gear for non-crosstown-classic games.

I think the Sox winning the WS would go an awful long way in eliminating this problem. :D:

ChiWavDave
10-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Many scholars and philosophers have said in various forms.

"The opposite of Love is, not hate, but indifference or apathy"

By hating the cubs or cubs fans, we give value to their existence..

If you really value them as worthless, then they should not even enter your mind.

You wanna drive em mad, be indifferent to them. Hating them says alot more about you than it does about them...

We're going to the World Series, and they are not... 'nuff said!

LongLiveFisk
10-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Many scholars and philosophers have said in various forms.

"The opposite of Love is, not hate, but indifference or apathy"

By hating the cubs or cubs fans, we give value to their existence..

If you really value them as worthless, then they should not even enter your mind.

You wanna drive em mad, be indifferent to them. Hating them says alot more about you than it does about them...

We're going to the World Series, and they are not... 'nuff said!

Very well said. Thank you! :cool:

Realist
10-18-2005, 08:07 PM

I wish there was a way we could have a great big bon fire in one of the Sox parking lots after all is said and done and people could bring all their anti-Cubs stuff and throw it in. It would be a nice way of saying, "They no longer matter to us."

chisoxmike
10-18-2005, 08:10 PM
After the Sox won the divison I threw out my Sun-times cover for the bartman game.

Palehose13
10-18-2005, 08:30 PM

Yes, the Bears. :cool:

soxjim
10-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I could care less about the cubs. From a previous posting I have experienced that with packer fans in the family throwing my 1985 Bear autographs around. They have not been invited back to my place. Right now I'm just excited about the World Series and could careless about the cubs or other teams.

CLR01
10-19-2005, 01:47 AM
Yes, the Bears. :cool:

I think he means professional teams.

SoxRulecubsdrool
10-19-2005, 07:02 AM
My advice to you: Don't attend anymore family gatherings with these people. :cool:

On top of all that, my father-in-law is actually a Sox fan. We get along great and I have a great admiration for the guy. We can sit in the backyard with the game on and have a few beers and everything is wonderful. It is a shame that everyone else has to act like a moron.

I remember one inlaw buying my father in law a Sox shirt on his birthday. That was another day when a couple of the bro-in-laws would simply not shut up about the gift. The one that bought him the shirt went on and on about how she couldn't believe she brought herself to buying him a Sox shirt and had to be seen in public with it.

That is why I say, if I have a few beers and someone gets in my face. Who knows? But deep down, I agree. Let the play on the field do the talking but it sure is nice to have a little ammo.

antitwins13
10-19-2005, 11:25 AM
I think the Sox winning the WS would go an awful long way in eliminating this problem. :D:

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/police/Design/images/Rethink/PinkStars.jpgPipe Dream Patrol!