PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Harold Baines in Sun Times

TomBradley72
10-18-2005, 12:17 AM
"It finally puts us above the Cubs,'' bench coach Harold Baines said.

Anyone else hear about 25+ years of frustration in this quote? Pretty surprising based on how few words you ever hear from Harold.

Lorenzo Barcelo
10-18-2005, 12:21 AM
He speaks?!

Unregistered
10-18-2005, 12:26 AM
I kinda cringed when I read that last night. With all the joy and relief of winning the pennant, the last thing I wanted to hear about was the Cubs, and I have a hard time believing that was on the minds of anyone in that clubhouse last night. I can only hope he was baited into the quote. Something like "Harold, do you think The Sox are finally ahead of the Cubs in Chicago's eyes?"

wxkid23
10-18-2005, 12:27 AM
He speaks?!

You woulden't think it but I really think a few years down the road...Harold may be recognized as one of the best bench coaches in the game. The man played for years and while he isn't outgoing and looks bored.. underneath I think he has a burning passion for the game of baseball.

IowaSox1971
10-18-2005, 01:51 AM
I kinda cringed when I read that last night. With all the joy and relief of winning the pennant, the last thing I wanted to hear about was the Cubs, and I have a hard time believing that was on the minds of anyone in that clubhouse last night. I can only hope he was baited into the quote. Something like "Harold, do you think The Sox are finally ahead of the Cubs in Chicago's eyes?"

Harold spoke the truth, and I'm glad he said it. Sometimes things have to be pointed out to the Cub-loving media in the simplest of terms.

BainesHOF
10-18-2005, 04:14 AM
Harold knows what's going on.

SSN721
10-18-2005, 05:54 AM
I dont have a problem with it.

Iguana775
10-18-2005, 07:34 AM
When Harold speaks, people listen...:bandance:

Baby Fisk
10-18-2005, 08:26 AM
I can only hope he was baited into the quote. Something like "Harold, do you think The Sox are finally ahead of the Cubs in Chicago's eyes?"
You know how devious some reporters can be. :cool:

VenturaSoxFan23
10-18-2005, 08:43 AM
When Harold speaks, people listen...:bandance:

I think he said more that evening than he has in the previous 10 years. I don't even think he talks to his wife.

PaleHoseGeorge
10-18-2005, 08:54 AM
I think the fact that the Sun-Times managed to get a quote from Harold is notable all by itself.

:tongue:

Jerko
10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Maybe it's me, but I really, honestly, truly don't know why anybody is still giving that team a 2nd thought. They are a non-entity to me right now. Even Bruce Wolf: "Oh i hope the Cards win so when they play the Sox it will be the whole Cub thing". No Bruce, it has nothing to do with the Cubs. Thanks for bringing this up Harold and helpnig to perpetuae what you're complaining about. I agree with Unregistered here.

Fungo
10-18-2005, 09:00 AM
He speaks?!

http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/breaknnews_e0.gif

rmusacch
10-18-2005, 09:33 AM
You woulden't think it but I really think a few years down the road...Harold may be recognized as one of the best bench coaches in the game. The man played for years and while he isn't outgoing and looks bored.. underneath I think he has a burning passion for the game of baseball.

Harold was always one of my favorite players. I remember living in Memphis when he got traded to the Rangers and hearing it on the radio and crying.

SOXintheBURGH
10-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Harold was always one of my favorite players. I remember living in Memphis when he got traded to the Rangers and hearing it on the radio and crying.

Same here.. then he homered in his first game at Texas and it was on the front page the next morning.

I found out me and Harold shared a birthday when I was 4 and he was my favorite Sox player ever since then.

Nellie_Fox
10-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Harold was always one of my favorite players. I remember living in Memphis when he got traded to the Rangers and hearing it on the radio and crying.I was a little too old to cry about it, but I pretty much ignored baseball the following season because I was so angry about it.

Turns out that was to my advantage; I have very little memory of Sosa in a Sox uniform.

thechico
10-18-2005, 01:54 PM

I think Ozzie has enough outward passion for the whole roster. :wink:

thechico
10-18-2005, 01:56 PM

I can remember getting golden box tix for the 1st game with Harold as a Ranger and he got a standing ovation. Now that is respect. Of course, he was humble about it and gave a small wave. That's dignity.

ElCanuque
10-20-2005, 06:22 AM

I, too, remember this day, and being extremely p--sed about it. Harold hit a solo shot in the first Sox home game I ever attended back in '81. I still wear #3 on my adult baseball league team, in large part, because of that one swing of the bat.

RetireWoodys28
10-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Someone here needs to say it:

HAAAAR-OLD! HAAAAR-OLD! HAAAAR-OLD!

Anyone else hear about 25+ years of frustration in this quote?
If you spent half your career in Chicago, and you were the best ballplayer in town at the time, wouldn't you feel a bit frustrated reading the local media's daily accounts of the heroic exploits of "Ryno and Dawson?" Don't you suppose Harold's still a bit frustrated when-- in some cases-- the best our talking-head radio dorks can come up with for conversation even today is "man, imagine if this was our Cubbies!"

Harold is the greatest. Should he choose to grace the world with his seldom-voiced wisdom, the world is better for it. And if a certain 3rd base coach was currently wearing the #3 instead of the #28, my user ID here would be "RetireHarolds3." But fortunately, Jerry Reinsdorf had the common sense to retire that jersey years ago. HAAAAR-ROLD! HAAAAR-ROLD! HAAAAR-ROLD!

TomBradley72
10-20-2005, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=RetireWoodys28]

If you spent half your career in Chicago, and you were the best ballplayer in town at the time, wouldn't you feel a bit frustrated reading the local media's daily accounts of the heroic exploits of "Ryno and Dawson?" Don't you suppose Harold's still a bit frustrated when-- in some cases-- the best our talking-head radio dorks can come up with for conversation even today is "man, imagine if this was our Cubbies!"

QUOTE]

Exactly...shows the kind of man he is that he never whined about it, etc....one simple sentence says it all.